08. Undo You
09. Lethean
10. First Prayer
11. Dead Letters
12. Second [limited edition bonus]
13. The Act Of Darkening [deluxe edition bonus]

The best Gothic Metal album of 2012

Additional info
The 2 disc 'Swedish' edition features the album on CD (plus one bonus track) and a 5.1 mix of the album on DVD-AV.

The limited deluxe edition is a 40 page 10" book with a certificate, the set contains 2 x 10" vinyl, CD with 2 bonus tracks and DVD-A/V (NTSC region 0) with 5.1 mix (DTS). This edition is limited to 2000 numbered copies.

Guest review by
CobiWan1993
Rating:
With Katatonia's follow-up to 2009's Night Is The New Day, Dead End Kings continues the trend starting with that album, or arguably even The Great Cold Distance, and focuses on a mellow, atmospheric sound that encompasses the overall feel of the record. This direction for the band may have perhaps stemmed from lead singer Jonas Renkse having to take control over a bulk of the songwriting after guitarist Anders Nyström suffered a case of writer's block during the previous album's recording sessions; Nyström was nevertheless able to contribute to this album. While Night Is The New Day indeed succeeded with this initial goal of emphasizing atmosphere over aggression, Katatonia continued to improve upon this style for their next record, and the result is a much more united and consolidated effort.

Read more ››
published 28.12.2012 | Comments (6)

Found in 67 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 5

Comments: 145   Visited by: 1675 users
18.08.2012 - 17:18
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
YAWN
18.08.2012 - 17:26
Rating: 7
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 18.08.2012 at 17:18

YAWN

Dude, if you want to say something just come right out and say it!
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
18.08.2012 - 17:28
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 18.08.2012 at 17:26

Dude, if you want to say something just come right out and say it! :D

At this point I'd just use a bigger font but it won't go no bigger =[
18.08.2012 - 17:29
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Okay enough off topic spam, back on topic now.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.08.2012 - 20:46
Rating: 6
Daniell
_爱情_
As much as I love Katatonia, this one is quite shitty.
19.08.2012 - 18:48
♱ RaVeN ♱

The racing heart is the stand-out song on this album... the rest is just mellow with a lot of layers and atmospheres along the same lines as NITND
21.08.2012 - 19:48
SceneryOfLoss

Written by Daniell on 18.08.2012 at 20:46

+1
21.08.2012 - 22:32
Rating: 9
Therapy?

I disagree. This album is all that I hoped for and more! I love it! This is definitely not a grower but a keeper!
22.08.2012 - 22:08
pisymbol

Has this leaked?
23.08.2012 - 10:17
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Yes
----
loves 小巫
23.08.2012 - 13:18
Rating: 8
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Their last album bored me to death, this one seems much more engaging.
23.08.2012 - 18:51
IronAngel

What a yawn. The first track fulfills my expectations: soulless, sterile, uninteresting, devoid of lead guitar melodies, formulaic chorus. Bleh.
25.08.2012 - 17:05
Therapy?

Got the ltd. deluxe edition in my posession already My shop had the launch date incorrect or something so they sent it earlier. It's awesome!

Like I said earlier, it's everything I expected. Jonas is even more diverse with his voice which is what I wanted to hear. The music itself is one continuous flow of awesome, mixing mellow, almost peaceful parts of music with more heavy parts. It's just missing a nice growl here and there. Hence a nine.
26.08.2012 - 14:28
Fredd
Account deleted
I R DISAPPOINT. Some good moments especially on the second half of the album, but below my expectations overall.
26.08.2012 - 15:41
Night Sight

Disappointing weaker than the previous.i dont like their new alternative style following the " night is a new day"
----
Alone in birth
Alone in the darkness
Alone in death
Alone in the daylight
26.08.2012 - 17:35
Rating: 5
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick

I wouldn't say shitty, just boring
26.08.2012 - 18:39
Opethian

Written by CobiWan1993 on 14.06.2012 at 09:18

I am very much looking forward to this release! I will have plenty of time to absorb it before I head up to Los Angeles on September 8 to see the songs performed live (as well as the first time I ever see the band live). It should be absolutely breathtaking.

Btw, just heard the new single, "Dead Letters", and it is a truly amazing song. This album is going to be incredible, I just know it.

I'll see you there I saw Katatonia + Opeth last year and Katatonia literally made me shit my Pants! Insanely anxious to hear what they have to offer their fans this time. I like 'Night is the New Day', but it honestly could have been much more

Are you as excited as i am for the rest of the show? Townsend + Paradise Lost
26.08.2012 - 19:02
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Written by Opethian on 26.08.2012 at 18:39

Written by CobiWan1993 on 14.06.2012 at 09:18

I am very much looking forward to this release! I will have plenty of time to absorb it before I head up to Los Angeles on September 8 to see the songs performed live (as well as the first time I ever see the band live). It should be absolutely breathtaking.

Btw, just heard the new single, "Dead Letters", and it is a truly amazing song. This album is going to be incredible, I just know it.

Are you as excited as i am for the rest of the show? Townsend + Paradise Lost

The show should be awesome too. I really liked Paradise Lost's new album. They should kick ass live.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
26.08.2012 - 20:56
Slyfang

So damn uninspired
26.08.2012 - 21:12
Prometheus

Written by Slyfang on 26.08.2012 at 20:56

So damn uninspired

Beh, FROCIO!!
27.08.2012 - 11:32
Jeeers

Written by Alex F on 26.08.2012 at 17:35

I wouldn't say shitty, just boring

Exactly. Weakest Katatonia album so far IMHO.
Good sound and atmosphere, but weak and unmemorable songs for the most part. Liked two last bonus songs and a couple of others, but my expectations were a little bit higher for this album.
27.08.2012 - 12:39
doomarc

I don't know what some people expect from them but katatonia took me away with this album.It's great with lyrics, sounds and especially lead parts that they used first time like this.Dead End Kings is better than the previous album for me.I never expected the songs to be memorable. Memorable songs are simple and they can be forgotten for a short time as lots of popular bands do. But if Katatonia touched your heart once, you'll see it's real music. Hypnone, The Racing Heart and Ambitions are already ones of best Katatonia songs for me in their music history.
27.08.2012 - 13:33
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by doomarc on 27.08.2012 at 12:39
Memorable songs are simple and they can be forgotten for a short time as lots of popular bands do.

You don't seem to know what memorable means. It means the exact opposite. Songs that you will always remember. Unlike this album that is over and you completely forget about the experience.

A memorable song doesn't have to be simple either, there's not a connection between memorable and simple at all.
----
Rod, let me love you.
27.08.2012 - 17:00
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 27.08.2012 at 16:48
I think he means that he likes songs, which aren't instantly memorable but slowly growing with lyrics and all the little things. Things like these lyrics;

Could be, but he still got a backwards meaning of memorable in the quote I highlighted.

After this album you just don't know what happened. Nothing stays with you and of course you can't grown into it if every time you finish it you get the feeling you just heard 40 or so minutes of background music. But yeah, this is the same old "tastes differ".
----
Rod, let me love you.
27.08.2012 - 19:22
Urs Blank

As much as I [used to] like Katatonia, I can't give this one more than a 6,5 - 7, which is likely to be rounded down to 6 after a couple of more listens.
27.08.2012 - 21:46
Rating: 5
3dd

Disappointing and as someone said before: uninspired.

This forgettable album only worth the listen for three or four reasons:

"Lethean",
"The One You Are Looking For Is Not Here",
and "The Parting".

and maybe "First Player". ( It has a nice chorus, but they fucked up the song ).

Forget the rest, it's impossible not to skip them.

No direction at all, they need to write more original stuff, not just recycle the old songs.

Huge let down.
27.08.2012 - 22:33
Therapy?

I think I can understand that some people seem to be underwhelmed by this album. I've been listening back TGCD and that album seems quite a bit heavier compared to this release. NITND is cleaner but darker. However for me, I really, réally like how Jonas experiments with his voice in this album. It's the road I expected him to travel down after listening to NITND many times over. Everything sounds crystal clear and Jonas' voice seems to naturally blend with the music. The lyrics are also really good. In my opinion, you need a really good audio system or very good headphones to really experience and appreciate this album to it's fullest.

Also, this seems to be one of them albums you either love or hate. It's not a perfect 10 for me though as I would have appreciated a bit more heavy and the occasional growling that I loved in the song "Leaders" for example.
28.08.2012 - 01:00
doomarc

Written by Guest on 27.08.2012 at 16:48

Written by X-Ray Rod on 27.08.2012 at 13:33

You don't seem to know what memorable means. It means the exact opposite. Songs that you will always remember. Unlike this album that is over and you completely forget about the experience.

A memorable song doesn't have to be simple either, there's not a connection between memorable and simple at all.

I think he means that he likes songs, which aren't instantly memorable but slowly growing with lyrics and all the little things. Things like these lyrics;

Hear my thin voice
Hear my words fall down
See my ambitions fade out
Had so much better times

and/or

If I sow a wind now
I will reap a storm
You saw me sliding away from the sun
And tomorrow
Who will come
And put their hand over mine
Mine with the burning shape of a gun

may sound quite dramatic even coming from Katatonia.

Ok : ) we have different meanings for 'memorable' in our minds with Mr.Doctor I talked about some songs that catch you with it's lyrics or melody in the first time you listen it, and then you love it. But after a time it starts to be boring. But from your perspective through it, you're also right. I think Array got my point.
28.08.2012 - 01:19
D.a.n

Written by CobiWan1993 on 26.08.2012 at 19:02

The show should be awesome too. I really liked Paradise Lost's new album. They should kick ass live.

Although I tend to agree with the bit about PL's new album, you better not hope for a good live show. With all respect to Nick Holmes, his stage performances in the last 5+ years have mostly been disappointingly lacklustre.

And now for something completely different... like, say, Katatonia...
28.08.2012 - 09:57
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Written by D.a.n on 28.08.2012 at 01:19

Written by CobiWan1993 on 26.08.2012 at 19:02

Although I tend to agree with the bit about PL's new album, you better not hope for a good live show. With all respect to Nick Holmes, his stage performances in the last 5+ years have mostly been disappointingly lacklustre.

And now for something completely different... like, say, Katatonia...

Oh well okay,I haven't really watched any of their recent live videos to know how lackluster they are in that kind of setting, but they should at least provide a lot of anticipation for Katatonia to perform.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).

Hits total: 35873 | This month: 35