Metal Storm logo
What do you think about Linkin Park?

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 09.10.2006 - 22:45
In my first post I didn't include much information about the band because I just wanted to know your opinion about them.
Anyway I knew this band from the T.V I saw the "IN THE END" clip once and I like it so much. I loved the lyrics and the way they skip from the rap to the rock. Actually this band is famous in this style so I started listing to them that's happened about 2 years ago.
Then I meet my boyfriend "Imperial Ice" and Ofcours he was a metal head long time ago then I met the metal songs so I stopped listing to them. (I know long details).
Now I'm so in Gothic Metal and some other bands like Children of Bodoom, Eternal Tears of Sorrow, Iced Earth. But about month ago I heard about the new album for them LP and I liked it so much the lyrics the music even the screaming. I loved there voices and I saw them as a metal band not rock or hard rock but as a metal band I mean when I listen to the song Die Die Die my darling for Metallica I see no different between the song Don't Stay (album Meteora) for LP or the song Faint from the same album.
I hope that someone could understand what I mean or find the missing point in my words so can help me explaining to you Metal Storm about the importance of this band
Thank you
21.01.2009 - 10:53
Valentin B
Iconoclast
I used to be a rabid fan of theirs(back when i was 14 or so), then i started being really fucking metal and started hating them, and for a long time afterwards i didn't care for them, and a few days ago i caught a top 10 video show of them on vh1, and i must say, these guys are pretty good compared to other modern pop-rock acts like coldplay or <insert indie rock band here>, their songs are really catchy, and it's pretty clear the weight of the band is on Shinoda, and maybe on the guitarist, but it's them that make the band, Chester's vocals are annoying sometimes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-4CH-xs7sQ - this song is pretty rocking, that riff is pretty good

and i agree with Jonas "What I've Done" is a pretty lame choice for the Transformers OST.
22.01.2009 - 13:41
Kanto
Written by Valentin B on 21.01.2009 at 10:53

it's pretty clear the weight of the band is on Shinoda, and maybe on the guitarist, but it's them that make the band, Chester's vocals are annoying sometimes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-4CH-xs7sQ - this song is pretty rocking, that riff is pretty good
Agree. Chester's voice used to have a lot of feelings and style, like with Crawling, In the End, Breaking the Habit, and the other old songs. But with the "minutes to midnight", Mike is the great master of the band, with his electronic effects into the song, in What I've done I enjoy what he does, so I prefer to listen to it in the instrumental version (somewhere on youtube)
----
...Dude.
15.03.2009 - 13:19
ToMegaTherion
I am not a big fan of Linkin Park, they do have decent songs; however, the majority of their work i find quite shallow lyrically and musically. They are a band who have their place but I have other rock bands and band in general that I would much prefer to hear.
15.03.2009 - 14:32
Vunts
There was a time from 2000-2003 where I listened to them non-stop and I knew the lyrics to all the songs by heart, then happened the magical transition to "real" metal, and LP was forgotten and even slightly mocked for a few following years by myself.
In the previous year I listened to their 'Minutes to Midnight' album and I liked it a lot. It removed my hostile remarks of the band. During this year however, I found myself disliking Minutes to Midnight, because the album sounded too calm and boring. Instead, I started listening to the original CDs that I have - Hybrid Theory and Meteora again. All I can say, is that I'm happy. It doesn't matter that I listen to grindcore, thrash, power, funeral doom or whatnot more; those two albums are just awesome. It's almost classical music for me alongside old Limp Bizkit, because those are the bands I grew up with, and in the end, I won't be able to dislike either of those two bands.

However, I have not, and will never download the Jay-Z remix album as far as I'm sober, and even then, I would have to be in a complete black hole to get myself to type those words in a torrent site.
15.03.2009 - 22:24
Elio
Red Nightmare
Their music is horrible, period. And not because of the THEY'RE POSER element. Or at least not only that.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
16.03.2009 - 15:36
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Since beeing into metal I've never heard again but till then they were one of my 3-4 favorite bands! That's only about their first 2 album. As I've seen now they've calmed a lot and I'm sure that even if I was listening this music today I wouldn't like their new effort...
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
16.03.2009 - 15:39
Diabolos
Space For Rent!
I listened to them really often some years ago, but nowadays I don't like themas much as in the past (except for the song "Numb" which I still love )
30.05.2009 - 16:03
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Written by Diabolos on 16.03.2009 at 15:39

I listened to them really often some years ago, but nowadays I don't like themas much as in the past (except for the song "Numb" which I still love )

Same here. I didnt hear it so often, but it doesn't mean I think they suck now. They are a pretty competent band, that had a huge influence in the music scene.

I like them regardless of commercial stuff and that shit that is completly irrelevant. The music is pretty good, a simple guitar distorted rock with lots of eletronic effects and hip-hop elements. Good enough to hear everytime in anyplace with anyone.

But seriously, the last album really sucks I was hoping that they would continue with the ''puberty rebel'' as always, didn't see the Emo stuff coming
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
03.07.2009 - 21:12
metalhead3
I don't like them,i hate that some new rock/metal sound
03.07.2009 - 22:03
Haddonfield
Chucky's Bride

...a few days ago i caught a top 10 video show of them on vh1, and i must say, these guys are pretty good compared to other modern pop-rock acts like coldplay or <insert indie rock band here>...

That's probably because Coldplay is suicidal pop rock and Linkin Park ia more like Nu Metal with a soft edge. I'm not very keen on Linkin Park. I find their sound too polished and CHester Benington's clean voice is more like a boy's band's than a rocker's. I liked their song "One Step Closer" when it was first released, I bought their album and really didn't think much of it. Some songs were ok but I really didn't like the polished sound to it. However, I did see a concert once on MTV, Benington's voice is much better live, less "gay" so to speak. I even liked the song Benington sang on the Queen of the Damned Soundtrack, song written by Jonathan Davis. I think the band is held under the ferocious whips of their record label and that their overall sound suffers from this. Who knows, one day they might grow some balls and play as they "probably"would really like to.
----

"Seasons don't fear the reaper. Nor do the wind, the sun and the rain (we can be like they are)."
03.07.2009 - 22:20
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Haddonfield on 03.07.2009 at 22:03

...a few days ago i caught a top 10 video show of them on vh1, and i must say, these guys are pretty good compared to other modern pop-rock acts like coldplay or <insert indie rock band here>...

That's probably because Coldplay is suicidal pop rock and Linkin Park ia more like Nu Metal with a soft edge. I'm not very keen on Linkin Park. I find their sound too polished and CHester Benington's clean voice is more like a boy's band's than a rocker's. I liked their song "One Step Closer" when it was first released, I bought their album and really didn't think much of it. Some songs were ok but I really didn't like the polished sound to it. However, I did see a concert once on MTV, Benington's voice is much better live, less "gay" so to speak. I even liked the song Benington sang on the Queen of the Damned Soundtrack, song written by Jonathan Davis. I think the band is held under the ferocious whips of their record label and that their overall sound suffers from this. Who knows, one day they might grow some balls and play as they "probably"would really like to.

through the years i've been all over the place with Linkin Park, i liked their music up until when i was 14 or so, then i was "the hugest fan" and then i hated them for a while

now i stand by my latest opinion, i'm indifferent to them but at least they're better than coldplay or some other shit pop band. Shinoda is a good musician.
09.07.2009 - 05:31
Quetzalli
Agh, the old wounds, they reopen. I used to be crazy about them. Rabid, fangirl insane, "There's nothing better than Linkin Park" yadda, yadda etc, when Hybrid Theory came out. So I was pretty young, then. But after they did the "hiatus" thing, I still told myself that I'd keep on loving their music (since they were the ones that brought me away from Pop music, so I'm grateful).

And then this MONSTRUOSITY of a new album came out...
And now I hate them. I feel betrayed.
----
"I want to see the old gods rule again..."
14.08.2009 - 22:53
wormdrink414
Elite
I loved them in middle school. To understand my ignorance regarding metal during those awkward years, you have to know that Linkin Park was the most brutal stuff I had ever heard (excluding Black album Metallica). I believe that it was the "Shut up while I am talking to you" part of that one music video of theirs that really spoke to me and my raging hormones.
15.08.2009 - 00:26
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by wormdrink414 on 14.08.2009 at 22:53

Linkin Park was the most brutal stuff I had ever heard

didnt you lived my life? was exactly the same by me...i started on mainstream euro dance-pop, then discover "brutality" of numetal and finally ended stuck on metal
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

15.08.2009 - 10:17
Lachy
Account deleted
Linkin Park were great! Until minutes to midnight (god that was a bad album). I think they truly betrayed their fans switching their genre/style and because of that they are now really mainstream and lame!
23.08.2009 - 12:51
B.B.S.
Account deleted
They got me into metal.. so they are special to me, and i like their latest album
23.08.2009 - 18:58
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by Guest on 23.08.2009 at 12:51

They got me into metal

Same with me, unfortunately...it is shame metal often needs such a bands to get young people into...
----

24.08.2009 - 11:57
B.B.S.
Account deleted
Written by Ellrohir on 23.08.2009 at 18:58

Written by Guest on 23.08.2009 at 12:51

They got me into metal

unfortunately...it is shame metal often needs such a bands to get young people into...

yeah..
03.09.2009 - 21:21
Panterica
So I see I'm not the only one who left LP after middle school. After getting to know "real" metal and not a blend of pop/rock/rap or whatsoever, I just couldn't stend them anymore. Sadly, I still can't here the band that opened me into rock and music in general, they seem so shalow and boring now.
----
Li'ed - Prog-Metal from Jerusalem
https://open.spotify.com/artist/7aZWDrAAvDSLMaSmDSE8zA
https://www.facebook.com/LiedBandMusic
http://lied-band.bandcamp.com/
07.09.2009 - 15:11
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Respect your opinion, but i would say it is because you arent really into metal yet
----

08.09.2009 - 00:42
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by wormdrink414 on 14.08.2009 at 22:53

I believe that it was the "Shut up while I am talking to you" part of that one music video of theirs that really spoke to me and my raging hormones.

fuck yeah... this moment was excellent. imo Hybrid Theory is by far their best work.. and it is a work that isn't mainstream at all imo. their sound is almost unique and they are brutal (COMPARING THEM WITH THE OTHER ROCK BANDS IN THAT PERIOD)....
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
08.09.2009 - 09:38
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Well yes...even i had to admit, that there is something about Hybrid Theory...but later it went to hell...
----

09.09.2009 - 01:04
Karasawa II
They are an allright band nothing special just another one of those bands that make it big off of a simple skill set, and then to sell out down the road like so many other bands i.e slipknot, shadows fall and many more
10.10.2009 - 00:55
LP e3ssentially got me into music. I'm pretty sure that Hybrid Theory was the first album I ever purchased, when I was like 12. Then Meteora came out and I listened to them exclusively for like 2 years. AWESOME!!!

Their new stuff? Minutes to Midnight is a good album - it explores their softer side, and In pieces is a fantastic track. HOWEVER I regard it a bit like Dark Tranquillity's Projector - a good experiment. Since they haven't returned to their original style, not so great.

They are starting to sound a lot like mainstream electronic rock - re the Killers, Coldplay - not exactly like them, but they are heading down that road. Which is just plain ugly. I like bands that stay off the charts personally - New Divide (?) is just poppy teen rock music. My little sister (16, enjoys Chris Brown, Rihanna, etc etc etc KILL KILL KILL) loves that song. Shudder.

Thats my opinion. Their early work deserves respect, but I can't support their new direction. Sorry lads.
----
VICTORY!!!!! (They love it in France)
11.10.2009 - 15:39
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Man...i dunno...i despise radio airplay anyways - too political....too much capitalism....who should get on who should be left off - I tried Linkin Park, but they are not my brand of vodka, just doesn't push the right buttons, so I guess I can summarize how I feel about them......... = NOPE!
----
rekt
27.03.2010 - 07:33
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Just listened to Meteora again today, after almost a year without Linkin Park. And its still the same good stuff as always.

Of course, I skip ''Numb'', ''Easier To Run'' and ''From The Inside'', these songs really makes me understand why so many people hate Likin Park... but the rest is pretty good and nice in moments of nostalgy.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
27.03.2010 - 12:38
Diabolos
Space For Rent!
Written by Uirapuru on 27.03.2010 at 07:33

Just listened to Meteora again today, after almost a year without Linkin Park. And its still the same good stuff as always.

Of course, I skip ''Numb'', ''Easier To Run'' and ''From The Inside'', these songs really makes me understand why so many people hate Likin Park... but the rest is pretty good and nice in moments of nostalgy.

"Numb" and "From the Inside" are their best songs imo
27.03.2010 - 19:18
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Written by Diabolos on 27.03.2010 at 12:38

Written by Uirapuru on 27.03.2010 at 07:33

"Numb" and "From the Inside" are their best songs imo

Can't believe

Better than Hit The Floor or Don't Stay? Which are as heavier as they can get..
----

----
27.03.2010 - 19:21
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I don't know they have 1 or 2 good songs and the rest sound like katy perry if she was a guy
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
27.03.2010 - 20:29
I_Die_Often
I have never liked this band, I'm so old I was already into metal and didn't need them to spark my interest.
----
Old enough to be your Daddy... speaking of which... you look familiar... do I know your mother???