04. Mistress Dread
05. Iced Honey
06. Cheat On Me

Disc II
01. Frustration
02. Little Dog
03. Dragon
04. Junior Dad

Some people righteously claim that this is not a real Metallica release and thus it can't be viewed as such. I agree. Metallica decided to co-operate with Lou Reed in his interpretation of Alban Berg's opera based on Frank Wedekind's plays "Erdgeist" and "Die Büchse der Pandora". The history behind that opera is as complicated and dramatic as one can imagine, assuming what a dark story it tells.

But it all bears no significance at all. An ordinary listener will not give a damn about the literary predecessor that became grounds for this album. All an ordinary listener cares about is the music. And this is what is the biggest failure here. A gargantuan failure of biblical proportions. A debacle of misbegotten notions. A hapless heap of humungous refuse. Even the Apocalypse of John doesn't depict an event as catastrophic as this brainfart committed by a bunch of pretentious musicians and their misguided greed for mainstream recognition.

There isn't much to say about the music here. Metallica plods along with some recycled riffs (or lack thereof, see "Junior Dad"), boring drumming and generic singing, all that hidden ten fathoms under Lou Reed's mumbling. The mumbling that is so incredibly annoying, that I feel like shooting myself so that I can never hear it again.

Creating a piece of art isn't a conscious process. You sit down, write music, jam with your fellow bandmates, then record your endeavors, and if the general public, the history and fate decide that your work was brilliant, that it's a paragon of genius for generations to come, it will be so. But you can't calculate it. To me this is what Metallica and Lou Reed did. Tried to do. Failed miserably. Nuked all that remained of any shred of respect any fan could have for them. Genius arises by the way, not by calculation. How the fuck would they know that anyway.

Forgive lack of down-to-earth dissertation of the music. Forgive the dissonant style of this review. Only two things can make me write such a rant. Either utter genius or utter shitfest at the bottom of the cesspool of miscarried intentions. It shouldn't be hard to figure out which was the case this time.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 3
Songwriting: 2
Originality: 5
Production: 5

Written on 04.11.2011 by Writes overly honest and totally subjective reviews when fancy strikes him. Which is not often. Which is probably good, all things considered.

Guest review by
AndMetalForAll
Rating:
Lulu brings back Metallica in a collaboration album with Lou Reed. A German visionary named Frank Wedekind wrote a collection of plays about a woman called Lulu who was both a muse and a mystery, the first form of woman. Most of the songs have death, sexuality, love and spite themes. Although it's not a Metallica album, the expectation was off the charts but the result is terrible.

Read more ››
published 14.11.2011 | Comments (18)

Guest review by
ScreamingSteelUS
Rating:
The worst thing you can possibly do is treat this like a Metallica album. It is not. Lulu is a Lou Reed album that just so happens to feature the guys from Metallica as his backing band. Of course, Metallica still had to go and put their name on it, which recklessly raised people's expectations, and the heavy criticism weighed at this album is largely true no matter how you spin it. Nonetheless, while this was a disappointment, it is not totally devoid of merit, and more of an interesting experiment than a Son-of-St. Anger-sized failure.

Read more ››
published 17.08.2013 | Comments (13)

Comments page 2 / 6

Comments: 163   Visited by: 1524 users
05.11.2011 - 12:01
iMPERiAL_iCE
Weeping Heart
Awesome review Daniell, very unbiased XD

10/10
----
The older I get.........The faster I was

Smurfilator -- back when Smurf Metal existed :'(
05.11.2011 - 12:44
Rating: 1
Slayer666
Oh, good, I got worried we might get a Staff review scoring this with something above 4.

I'd probably "pull an Ellrohir". You know, "FUCK this site and FUCK the motherfucker who reviewed this".
Luckily it didn't come to that.
05.11.2011 - 13:00
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Slayer666 on 05.11.2011 at 12:44

Oh, good, I got worried we might get a Staff review scoring this with something above 4.

I gave it a 3-3,5. Hopefully my nonexistent review of Lulu wouldn't be a cause for you to leave
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
05.11.2011 - 13:10
Regardless of the quality of the music we are discussing here, you say: "Creating a piece of art isn't a conscious process. You sit down, write music, jam with your fellow bandmates, then record your endeavors...". Really? Creating a piece of art/music isn't a conscious process? So, sitting down to write music isn't a conscious process? Sorry, but isn't this a contradiction? Tell that to Alban Berg... I doubt he could jam with his fellow bandmates...
05.11.2011 - 13:27
Rating: 2
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Let me explain, because I apparently wasn't clear enough in the review. The process of creating a piece of music is definitely conscious. But whether that piece of music will be regarded as a masterpiece by the audience or not is not something you can calculate/predict/plan. You can write a song, you can't write a masterpiece.
05.11.2011 - 13:34
Rating: 6
SSM
Massacred
No offense, I think It's an one-dimensional review and accuracy is lost somehow.
The story is annoying itself, there are lots of annoying moments in it.
It's a kind of annoying reflection of an annoying, undesirable and lost community/society that the story describes. I think it's not right to compare Lulu with any kind of Metal or Rock music and I think the review is a quick judgement without considering all of the aspects. Just listen to "Dragon", and read the lyrics... feel that annoying rebellion somewhere in the depths?

"We do love you!"

There's an absolute unwanted and dirty act in the meaning,
the reflection of what we see, but in some strange and annoying way.

After all, I don't mean this is an excellent album with superb moments,
What I'm saying is that the review is not accurate and comprehensive enough.
I enjoy listening to "Dragon", "Iced Honey", "Pumping Blood" and "Cheat On Me",
but I can't listen to "The View" more than once a year.

I must consider that I'm not a MetallicA fan,
(I don't even like this fan stuff, I'm just a music listener not a fan of anyone,
it can be Metal music or Classical)
and I don't listen to MetallicA frequently.

I don't mean any offense or insult to anyone, it's just my opinion,
thanks a lot for my contribution!
05.11.2011 - 13:38
Written by Daniell on 05.11.2011 at 13:27

Let me explain, because I apparently wasn't clear enough in the review. The process of creating a piece of music is definitely conscious. But whether that piece of music will be regarded as a masterpiece by the audience or not is not something you can calculate/predict/plan. You can write a song, you can't write a masterpiece.

That's better... thanks for the explanation...

This is suppose to be a "rock opera" and rock operas always fail, because they never manage to transpose the beauty of the original piece... how can you give a rock interpretation of Berg's Lulu? I don't know if you ever listened to it, but this crap by Mr Reed and Metallica is beyond words. It's so generic and full of stereotypes, I cringe everytime I hear a few notes. Just read Wedekind's plays, instead, with some good Funeral Doom in the background...
05.11.2011 - 13:44
Written by SSM on 05.11.2011 at 13:34

I think it's not right to compare Lulu with any kind of Metal or Rock music and I think the review is a quick judgement without considering all of the aspects.

I think you have a point here, but because it's almost impossible to recreate a rock version of Lulu, I believe they should have abstained, instead of dishing out such unfocussed and - frankly pathetic - interpretation. There is no subtlety in the lyrics... it's like a cartoon sketch of the opera. I just find it very American. Incredibly irritating at least.
05.11.2011 - 14:53
RavenKing
Written by Daniell on 05.11.2011 at 13:27

I knew what you meant right away. It is history that decides if an album is regarded as a classic and masterpiece. It's not decided by the author of the music.
It reminds me of the annoying way Rhapsody have to call their albums 'legendary' only after a few months of release or call them 'a masterpiece' when it is not even released on the market yet. Pretentious and stupid.
What makes an album a classic and a masterpiece is music itself, nothing else, and how it stands the test of time.
I would say genius music will find its way by itself.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
05.11.2011 - 15:00
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite

No offense, I think It's an one-dimensional review and accuracy is lost somehow.

How many dimensions do you want a review to tackle? I survived listening to this gargantuan heap of dino shit 5 times, and for even 1 minute I didn't find anything even remotely resembling good music. And you expected me to write a book-long multi-faceted review of this? Or was I supposed to find someone who likes the album and ask them to write the review instead? Like I could find anyone anyway...

I enjoy listening to (..) "Pumping Blood"

This one is THE WORST piece of music I have ever heard in my entire life.

You know what, write your own review. After the mandatory cooldown time we will all be able to read it.
05.11.2011 - 15:31
I_Die_Often
I have not gotten excited about a Metallica release for many years now, and I have never liked Lou Reed...
So there is nothing for me her.
Just another turd put out by a big name this year.
----
Old enough to be your Daddy... speaking of which... you look familiar... do I know your mother???
05.11.2011 - 15:54
pyrz
Lul
05.11.2011 - 16:17
Fleabag
Metallica = Mike Tyson, only sadder. Mike realized at some point in the first uneventful piss-poor six rounds in his last fight, that he no longer had the desire to be in the fight game. So he became the first ex-world champion fighter to announce his retirement before the start of the seventh round and promptly packed his shit and went home. If only Metallica had the same insight, this blight on humanities hearing would have never been released.
05.11.2011 - 16:19
Opethian
05.11.2011 - 16:22
subzero_7
What's happened of metallica
05.11.2011 - 16:42
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 05.11.2011 at 10:13

Woh bro! Indeed a great collection of superb "brainfart" facts out here. Phllacee fhsssst hhereee, braah!

hehe i did
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
05.11.2011 - 16:42
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
But this album =
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
05.11.2011 - 19:58
Maxx666
Meshuggahian
Man what a colossal shit of an album.... i drank 2 bottles of whiskey just to forget that i had ever listened to this crap..
05.11.2011 - 21:09
Maxx666
Meshuggahian
Man i wanna die right now...anyone care to join me...
05.11.2011 - 21:14
Maxx666
Meshuggahian
No wait why would i do that.. from what i understand metallica is dead but metal is still alive and is kicking some god damn ass.. and as long as metal live this fucker right here aint going no where...

i better go and listen to hell awaits or peace sells to ease the internal suffering i had from listening this album...
05.11.2011 - 22:58
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Slayer666 on 05.11.2011 at 12:44
Luckily it didn't come to that.

Luckily for us? Pfft.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
05.11.2011 - 23:24
BloodFireDeath
Wow I think I just got a boner on your caucophonous selection of words and sentences. Great Review
----
Goodspeed on the Devils Thunder
05.11.2011 - 23:32
Void Eater
Account deleted

So yeah, I'm listening to Shadow Gallery right now, which suddenly made me realize what good progressive music is and that this album does kinda suck. Not a 2 rating bad; but maybe a 5.5 at most.
06.11.2011 - 00:02
AtrumHiberna
It definitely does NOT deserve 2. I'm not saying it's a 10, but you need to lighten up
----
This is my worship, this is my path...
06.11.2011 - 01:41
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by AtrumHiberna on 06.11.2011 at 00:02

It definitely doesentdeserve a 2. I'm saying it's a 1, but you dont need to lighten up

edited for accuracy
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
06.11.2011 - 04:01
strade
Yeah, pretty much.
----
My lo-fi synth project: http://luciddreamer.bandcamp.com
06.11.2011 - 04:19
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
It definitely does NOT deserve 2. I'm not saying it's a 10, but you need to lighten up

You need to listen to the album 5 times and then write at least 300 words about it. Then come back and tell us what you think about lightening up.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
06.11.2011 - 07:44
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by Troy Killjoy on 06.11.2011 at 04:19

You need to listen to the album 5 times and then write at least 300 words about it. Then come back and tell us what you think about lightening up.

Why, Troy, it's almost as if youre implying the task would not be fun.....
06.11.2011 - 07:46
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by JÄY on 06.11.2011 at 07:44
Why, Troy, it's almost as if youre implying the task would not be fun.....

Are you kidding Jay, it'd be more fun than a barrel of monkeys!
----
06.11.2011 - 08:00
Megadethfaun
I respect Lou Reed love his early stuff.. Didnt like this album.. :/ may be better listening a few times but.. got better stuff to listen to..

Hits total: 26574 | This month: 28