Metal Storm logo
Blind Guardian: A Twist In The Myth Tour - Antwerp, Belgium 30.09.06

Event: Blind Guardian: European Tour
Written by: Thryce
Published: 02.10.2006

So I went to Blind Guardian's "A Twist In The Myth" European Tour 2006, this Saturday (September 30), and in one word, it was truly fan-tas-tic! Not only was it a very good show (maybe not the best ever, but still more than very decent) but most of all, it was the most pleasant show I ever went to!! I have never seen a crowd being so enthusiastic and elated on a metal concert as Saturday-eve. We totally carried Blind Guardian away on our hands.

We arrived in the middle of the Astral Doors show and there was already a lot of atmosphere in the place. Astral Doors played mediocre Heavy Metal with clear Dio-influences and can rightly be called a nice special guest and curtain raiser that play solid warming-up Heavy Metal songs. The place was crowded with 70% of people wearing their Blind Guardian shirts (including me) and 25% of other Power Metal shirts like Manowar, Hammerfall, Rhapsody, and you could feel everybody was very excited and was totally in the mood for a nice evening with the best Power Metal band of these days. And so, ten minutes before Blind Guardian started, everybody was already clapping his hands whilst shouting "Guardian!!" (clap clap clap) "Guardian!!" (clap clap clap). When the lights and the music faded there was a storm of noise of 350 enthusiastic fans screaming and applauding. I've been to concerts where the final applause at the end wasn't even this big and loud as now when Blind Guardian wasn't even on the stage yet and hadn't played a single note. We even exceeded the "War Of Wrath" intro and then, the storm was finally unleashed!

Although they were there to promote their lastest album, they didn't hesitated at all to play their classic and golden rocks one by one, and they even ended playing only "Fly" and "Another Stranger Me" from "A Twist In The Myth." After "Into The Storm," they whipped us up even more with "Welcome To Dying," followed by "Nightfall" and "Script For My Requiem," all of these blustered and roared along by the unleashed enthusiastic and highly wounded up followers of the Blind. Then came "Fly" (a song which I found better played live than on the album itself) and then came the über-highlight of the evening, "Valhalla!" Note that I'm deadly serious and honest when I say that even 3 minutes after the song was finished, the hordes were still singing "Valhalla - Deliverance, Why've you ever forgotten me" over and over again. Afterwards an enormous applause rose and when a wide smiling Hansi tried to say something, we started shouting and clapping "Guardian!!" (clap clap clap) "Guardian!!" (clap clap clap) again, again followed by an overhwelming applause. Hansi and the band clapped too, saying "thank you" in English and Dutch over and over again, but we were already shouting "Majesty" (clap clap clap), "Majesty" (clap clap clap). So Blind Guardian happily re-tuned their guitars and granted our request. After the brilliantly played song and a brilliant applause, the crowd started singing "Valhalla - Deliverance, Why've you ever forgotten me" again and you could see Hansi and the whole band were clearly pleased and surprised by our massive enthusiasm. Then they played "Time Stands Still (At The Iron Hill)" (of course followed again by the Valhalla chorus) and "And Then There Was Silence," another wonderful moment of the concert that took 14 sweet minutes.

And then came the expected encores since the crowd didn't decreased their volume at all. They played three songs: "Another Stranger Me," "And The Story Ends" and "Imaginations From The Other Side" except for the refrains which were word for word sang by the widely enthusiastic fans. The second obvious encore contained "The Bard's Song" again word by word totally sang by the crowd and as clincher, my all time favourite "Mirror Mirror"!! Afterwards came another 8 minutes of fame, joy and the awesome feeling of being worshipped by hundreds of your fans for Blind Guardian. All of the band members were clearly impressed and happy for the awesome evening and show.
Little by little we all left the place and you could still hearing cheers of the Valhalla refrain from all different directions.

This truly has been a memorable and splendid night! And I'm sure Blind Guardian will not forget the brave Belgian crowd that easily...
Blind Guardian simply rules, enough said!

Comments

Comments: 11   Visited by: 12 users
10.10.2006 - 10:30
Thryce
Retired Staff
Pics will be added ASAP!!
----
Your favorite band sucks.
10.10.2006 - 14:20
Promonex
Cathemeral
When I saw the setlist I really hated myself for not going to their concert when they were here near Frankfurt and after reading your review I hate myself even more. Great review of an obviously great night! Made me want to listen to NIME right now.
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
10.10.2006 - 14:46
GT
Coffee!!
Sounds like the best concert ever...would give my right arm to have been there
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
10.10.2006 - 23:47
Talvi

OMG! THIS WAS AMAZING!

It's a shame I couldn't go the their concert in Razzmatazz, barcelona. Next I'll have to see them.
----
My account on other musical pages:
http://www.last.fm/user/Pozito/
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Talvi
11.10.2006 - 18:01
Aelric
Account deleted
Yes... I was there... That was GREAT AWESOME! I just COPY+PASTE what you wrote above, Thryce.
12.10.2006 - 21:56
Unholy_Emperor

I saw them in Madrid and it was also INCREDIBLE.
21.10.2006 - 14:36
MegaDave
Account deleted
i was there too , to the right , second row
it was the best show i've ever seen to be honest
never seen such an enthusiastic crowd , we just sang all the songs
and yes we sang valhalla for a quarter show lol
funny when hansi said
" no we're not gonna play it a second time"
then we just started shouting majesty majesty majesty
and after majesty we just started singing valhalla again

great show , love to see the pics !!
21.10.2006 - 15:33
Thryce
Retired Staff
Written by Guest on 21.10.2006 at 14:36

Yeah me too... in fact I'm still waiting for Biebob to post them online on their website. I sure hope they'll do that in the near future.
Next time I try to have an approval to take pics myself.
----
Your favorite band sucks.
22.10.2006 - 20:09
MegaDave
Account deleted
Written by Thryce on 21.10.2006 at 15:33

Written by Guest on 21.10.2006 at 14:36

Yeah me too... in fact I'm still waiting for Biebob to post them online on their website. I sure hope they'll do that in the near future.
Next time I try to have an approval to take pics myself.

oh i thought you have taken pictures yourself
29.10.2006 - 01:50
nb

Oh yeah ... I will see them in Cleveland on the 24th of november. I have been waiting to see them a loooooooong time. Valhalla
20.12.2006 - 20:10
Dream Taster
The Enemy Within
I saw them in Montreal, and same thing, only 2 songs from their latest album and most of the great old tunes including 'Valhalla' and 'Welcome To Dying'. Truly fantastic experience!

Hits total: 7105 | This month: 10