Metal Storm logo
Symphonic Thrash?

10.10.2006 - 14:59
R.o.S
Account deleted
Is there such a genre or bands playing something like that?

And also...Symhponic Gothenburg metal?
10.10.2006 - 17:01
SteTech
Mors Principium Est and Insomnium you should look into for symphonic Gothenburg metal, not sure about symphonic thrash though
10.10.2006 - 17:09
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Hmm I doubt there exist that genre?
Old school thrash like
Bay Area - Megadeath, Old Slayer...
Braziloian - Sarcofago
Europeian - UK(Coroner)German(tankard)...

Are techinical thrash bands like Sadus, Oblevion and thrash/black-epoch of Unlight, thrash/death - Possessed, Slaughter but shymphonic thrash HMM dunno band Dragonlord
http://www.myspace.com/dragonlord
Hmm I dunno about Symhponic Gothenburg metal

Read all post about thrash bands all pools and my post in best shyphonic band, there arte some bands but not gethenburg.
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
11.10.2006 - 02:16
Dam3k
Kinda weird "symphonic thrash metal" ?
----

11.10.2006 - 03:48
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Dam3k on 11.10.2006 at 02:16

Indeed and thrash it shood be in extrieme metal forum not melodic
----

apos;'
[image]
11.10.2006 - 14:48
Dam3k
Written by Bad English on 11.10.2006 at 03:48

Well... maybe not, I mean thrash metal in some cases it's much melodic than extreme metal bands...
----

11.10.2006 - 14:53
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Dam3k on 11.10.2006 at 14:48

Written by Bad English on 11.10.2006 at 03:48

Well... maybe not, I mean thrash metal in some cases it's much melodic than extreme metal bands...

But that gerne calls techical thrash, and speed metal, but shymphonic? Well if Therion play thrash why not
----

apos;'
[image]
12.10.2006 - 01:45
Bitch Boy
Old Apocalyptica (Plays Metallica, Cult, Inquisition Symphony) maybe symphonic thrash
12.10.2006 - 01:52
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Bitch Boy on 12.10.2006 at 01:45

Old Apocalyptica (Plays Metallica, Cult, Inquisition Symphony) maybe symphonic thrash

One of wiered explanation what I hear, :rollin: but why not, you're wright metallica use to play thrash and Apocolyptica cover them, so why not
----

apos;'
[image]
11.02.2011 - 09:38
j0equ1nn
I realize this conversation is 5 years old, but I came across it looking for info about "symphonic thrash" myself, and this was on the first page of results from Google. So my point is maybe this will still be of use to people.

Check out "Lepaca Kliffoth" by Therion if you have not already done so. As far as I can tell it's the only thing I've heard that would fit this description and the album kicks ass.

Also, the bands mentioned above are mostly just melodic death metal bands, in my oppinion (good ones though). If you want melodic Gothenburg look at early At The Gates, especially "The Red in the Sky Is Ours" and "With Fear I Kiss the Burning Darkness." There's also some symphonic stuff on "Terminal Spirit Disease," but those other 2 have orchestral breakdowns and are pretty Gothenburg. Really good too.
11.02.2011 - 18:23
Luneth
Account deleted
Like someone has already said, old apocalyptica is a safe bet. Not really the same, but I'd recommend Therion and Throes of Dawn too.
11.02.2011 - 20:37
j0equ1nn
Yeah I agree about the old Apocalyptica stuff, but it's all covers so I guess I didn't count it so much. I've never heard Throes of Dawn though, I'm gonna check that out, thanks!
11.02.2011 - 21:45
Iriki
No, No.

The best answer of Symphonic Thrash is Hevein

I have heard many Symphonic Melodic Death bands, but with Gothenburg riffs... Maybe here:

11.02.2011 - 22:00
Luneth
Account deleted
Written by Iriki on 11.02.2011 at 21:45

No, No.

The best answer of Symphonic Thrash is Hevein

Reminds me of Sirenia
11.02.2011 - 22:04
Iriki
Is it Gothenburg sounding or just a plain Melodic Death?

11.02.2011 - 23:31
j0equ1nn
Well actually I think that's a little hard to classify because it's based mostly on whether or not it comes from Gothemburg, Sweden. Then of course there's a certain sound but it can be hard to say. I think I'd call what you posted melodic death.

Oh, as far as Therion goes you gotta be specific because they change their style a lot from album to album, as is common with wildly innovative bands such as they are. For example, their first album is strictly death metal and others are almost opera albums or something.

Anyway I wanted to add Therion's Lemuria to the list.
12.02.2011 - 18:42
Luneth
Account deleted
Written by j0equ1nn on 11.02.2011 at 23:31

Well actually I think that's a little hard to classify because it's based mostly on whether or not it comes from Gothemburg, Sweden. Then of course there's a certain sound but it can be hard to say. I think I'd call what you posted melodic death.

Oh, as far as Therion goes you gotta be specific because they change their style a lot from album to album, as is common with wildly innovative bands such as they are. For example, their first album is strictly death metal and others are almost opera albums or something.

Anyway I wanted to add Therion's Lemuria to the list.

Someone who wants Symphonic Thrash should be able to appreciate all Therion in my opinion.
12.02.2011 - 20:11
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Why do people keep on mentioning Therion here? Totally no thrash in any of their albums at all. And especially not in their symphonic stuff.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.02.2011 - 13:14
j0equ1nn
I do appreciate all of Therion's album, I think they are fuckin awesome. But if you're going to try to pin down a genre I don't think all their albums would fit the description of "symphonic thrash." Obviously the death metal album Of Darkness... is not thrash or symphonic. Vovin is almost an opera album, with some metal mixed in. I don't know, there's no hard and fast lines here, I'm just saying if I ran a record store and I had a section for symphonic thrash, Lepaca Kliffoth and Lemuria would be in there. I could have just said Therion but I thought I'd try to be more helpful.

To answer the following post, on the other end, some of their albums DEFINITELY fit the symphonic thrash description, particularly the 2 that I mentioned. What do you call an album that sounds like thrash metal except that there are symphonies on it. Come on, listen to Lepaca Kliffoth, and Lemuria, and for that matter Sirius B, and tell me why that doesn't fit the bill.
23.02.2011 - 09:24
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by j0equ1nn on 21.02.2011 at 13:14

Come on, listen to Lepaca Kliffoth, and Lemuria, and for that matter Sirius B, and tell me why that doesn't fit the bill.

They don't fit the bill cause there is no thrash whatsoever in any of those three.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.02.2011 - 23:43
Uldreth
Quote:

Possibly US Power metal bands like Iced Earth or Helstar can satisfy these requirements?
27.02.2011 - 06:47
Webimpulse
Dunno if there is such a thing as "symphonic thrash"...sounds like an oxymoron at first, but I suppose it can be done. That said, there's one band I'll recommend here who seem to play a mix of melodic and thrash metal. They're called Sum Rize. Might come close to what you're looking for:

http://www.hearjapan.com/store/group/Sum_Rize

I'd say check 'em out, they put out a new album recently.
28.02.2011 - 01:24
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
If Melodic Death is fine, then Hollenthon would be my first recommendation. "With Vilest Of Worm To Dwell" is still a fantastic album for me. Leagues ahead of Therion when it comes to proper symphonic arrangements. It actually fits in, if you know what I mean.

For Thrash... Maybe you can try Believer...?
----
loves 小巫
06.03.2011 - 08:36
Yojimbo
Symphonic Thrash? Is there such a thing? Maybe Metallica's slower songs from the 80's. Actually I've always thought that ...And Justice For All was an album that was composed like it was orchestral.

Oh, yeah, Apocalyptica would fit this genre. Duh
07.03.2011 - 23:08
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Yojimbo on 06.03.2011 at 08:36

Symphonic Thrash? Is there such a thing? Maybe Metallica's slower songs from the 80's. Actually I've always thought that ...And Justice For All was an album that was composed like it was orchestral.

Could you provide your reasoning for saying that about ...And Justice for All? It is quite an interesting statement.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
08.03.2011 - 01:18
Yojimbo
Written by K✞ulu on 07.03.2011 at 23:08

Written by Yojimbo on 06.03.2011 at 08:36

Could you provide your reasoning for saying that about ...And Justice for All? It is quite an interesting statement.

I don't mean literally. Rather, the album is slower and darker than the previous ones and always reminded me of something like Beethoven or Wagner. I was listening to this album before Apocalyptica became known so songs like "To live is to die" and "...And justice for all" sounded heavily inspired by symphonic music. I guess it's difficult to fully explain what I mean.
08.03.2011 - 02:06
Iriki
C'mon guys, isn't Hevein enough for your curiosity about Symphonic Thrash?
08.03.2011 - 09:31
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Iriki on 08.03.2011 at 02:06

I don't know. The song you shared isn't impressive for me at all. Neither are the Thrash elements so great, nor the arrangements. The latter are especially commonplace. Believer are (were) much more original in that. Check out their album "Dimensions" from 1993 if you haven't yet.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

08.03.2011 - 16:08
Iriki
Written by K✞ulu on 08.03.2011 at 09:31

I don't know. The song you shared isn't impressive for me at all. Neither are the Thrash elements so great, nor the arrangements. The latter are especially commonplace. Believer are (were) much more original in that. Check out their album "Dimensions" from 1993 if you haven't yet.

I know what you mean, I found Hevein very 'modern', especially at that chorus of the song I posted. Anyway, I think it fits the Symphonic Thrash label better than Therion or Apocalyptica, though. I'll look for Believer asap, thanks.

EDIT:

OMG

08.03.2011 - 18:39
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Iriki on 08.03.2011 at 16:08

Written by K✞ulu on 08.03.2011 at 09:31

I know what you mean, I found Hevein very 'modern', especially at that chorus of the song I posted. Anyway, I think it fits the Symphonic Thrash label better than Therion or Apocalyptica, though. I'll look for Believer asap, thanks.

EDIT:

OMG

It's nothing short of OMG, that's true. But the sound quality of this YouTube clip is absolutely horrendous, so consider listening to proper rip.

P.S. The lol smiley put me off a bit. Did you not like this?
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner