08. Go Home
09. Anti
10. Napalm Shower
11. Crazy Ways People Die
12. Fretboard Gymnastics
13. Termination
14. Shark Attack [2008 re-release bonus]
15. Puke [United Shoebrothers outro] [2008 re-release bonus]

In terms of speed, most people consider these albums the fastest: Slayer's Reign in Blood and Dark Angel's Darkness Descends. However, that honour belongs to Oregon "beercore" thrashers Wehrmacht and their 1987 classic Shark Attack.

The guitar work we hear here has a crunching, mad tone; its power and savage rapidity are displayed through the entire album. John Duffy and Marco Zorich make a pretty great guitar team, although quite unspoken of. The drums are just as fast through the entire album, although at times not too audible. I assure you, that is no drum machine - Brian Lehfeldt is the man behind the kit, behind the blast beats and ferocious drum licks. The bass, although nothing spectacular or innovating, serves as a solid foundation to the music. Phillip Matos, although not being the most aggressive vocalist, has a gruff voice that fits the music well, and he doesn't overdo it.

The best songs on the album are hard to choose, as they all have their own powerful riffs, solos, drums and everything. The opener "Shark Attack" starts off with a colossal 1-minute intro (a homage to Jaws) before exploding and letting loose the music. "S.O.P." prominently displays the bass and is probably the fastest track on the album, along with "Jabberjaw." "Fretboard Gymnastics" is just what the title says; intense, raw, fast thrash with some impressive solos. They're all great to release some energy and each one displays some technicality.

Time to close this review: Shark Attack is one of the fastest (if not the fastest) metal album ever recorded. Despite the speed, the vocals actually flow with the instrumentals quite well. This is a must-have for any metal collector. Sadly, Wehrmacht are a comparatively unknown thrash act and due to the production values, at times the music may come off as being a bit senselessly noisy to some people. But still, if you see this album, I recommend getting it. Oh, and despite what you may insist, Wehrmacht have no Nazi ideals.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 7

Written by vezzy | 13.07.2010

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Guest review by
SuicidalCyco
Rating:
Wehrmacht. When you hear this name you might think of something that has to do with World War II. But when I hear this name, I instantly think of the 80's crossover thrash band and their ideals pretty much consist of beer and speed, not the drug speed, but speed within the music.

Shark Attack might just be the fasted metal album out there. In terms of speed it beats Slayer's Reign In Blood and Dark Angel's Darkness Descends. Impossible you say? Not for Wehrmacht. The albums opens with the title track, starts off with a familiar shark theme and then busts out into full scale crossover that's so fast not even lightning can catch it. "S.O.P." is probably the albums fastest track, and if you don't know what that stands for you won't find out until you read the lyrics; and the vocals definitely keep up with the music. There is even an instrumental song for you to enjoy; "Fretboard Gymnastics", and that's exactly what goes on during that song.

Read more ››
published 14.09.2013 | Comments (0)

Comments

Comments: 1   Visited by: 21 users
09.11.2011 - 20:52
metalheadpunk
Account deleted
One of my favorite albums of all time

Hits total: 4191 | This month: 8