05. Master Hunter
06. Loose Ends
07. Monstrosity
08. Thrown to Wolves
09. Legion
10. Sycophant
11. Crawl
12. Onslaught

Here we go again, another living example of production work being significantly lack-lustre in relativity to the song writing. Let's not get all negative about this now, because Of Moose And Men is actually one solid thrash album at it's core.

With this release, Uigg really bring me back to the sounds of Rumpelstiltskin Grinder's debut album Buried In The Front Yard; sort of a modernized groove-thrash akin to Pantera in many aspects, pushed to a few more aggressive extremes (blast-beats, a few grind-ish riffs here & there.) Of Moose And Men personifies almost everything you'd want in a modern thrash album; aggressive, catchy, a few winks to their influences without being too derivative, all while having just enough variation in riff styles & tempos to keep things exciting.

All these great aspects are horribly obscured by possibly the most unfitting recording job I've ever heard. The riffs here are pretty freakin' massive, too bad the whole thing sounds horribly condensed. At some points, it gets so difficult to get yourself past this John Goodman-In-Tight-Leather-Pants style production just getting into the music can be a real chore. One upside to all this is how forward the percussion is in the mix; the drumming is uniquely interesting, it becomes it's own lead in a way, as opposed to being the usual click-track laden, glorified metronome.

Had the performance & song writing been any less than what it is, this album would have been pretty crappy. However, Uigg really make a leap to overcome the production pit-falls with great success. Ignoring sloppy work at the mixing boards, Of Moose And Men is a really tight album.

Written on 17.11.2011 by Former EIC. Now just a reviewer guy.

Comments

Comments: 7   Visited by: 184 users
17.11.2011 - 17:54
neonxaos

"John Goodman-In-Tight-Leather-Pants style production" HAHAHAH! Now I must listen to it
17.11.2011 - 21:17
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
I'm honestly judging them for combining a stupid band name with a stupid album title. Doesn't sound like my kind of thing if it's in any way related to Pantera - more extreme or not.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
17.11.2011 - 22:30
Edmund Fogg

Rumpelstiltskin Grinder he. Sounds like something i'd like. Will check them out later 2day.
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
18.11.2011 - 01:13
farfaramir

Written by Troy Killjoy on 17.11.2011 at 21:17

I'm honestly judging them for combining a stupid band name with a stupid album title. Doesn't sound like my kind of thing if it's in any way related to Pantera - more extreme or not.

Add an Stupid cover and the circle is now complete...
18.11.2011 - 01:31
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Well i love rumpelstilzkin grinder so
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
19.11.2011 - 22:27
Mattybu

Not a huge fan of the Pantera stlye. Might youtube it, doubt I'll like but an 8.4 is certainly not a bad score.
19.11.2011 - 23:30
TrevorQ

Chris Gaudette from Uigg here. Thanks for the kind words and great review. If anyone is interested in checking us out, the full album is streaming at http://www.ofmooseandmen.com

Hits total: 4815 | This month: 7