11. Reflection
12. Triad
13. Faaip De Oaid

Top 20 albums of 2001: 2
Top 200 albums of all time: 23

Staff review by
Herzebeth
Rating:
One of the best alternative metal bands in the scene with incredible imagery, very cool, and grotesque videos. One of the best voices in the genre, high-quality production, undecipherable, and mysterious tunes. These talented musicians could easily be playing in a Progressive metal band. Everything above describes Tool, and this time Lateralus pushed all the limits of innovation, an album filled with crazy tracks, puzzling intros and amazing music in general.

Read more ››
published 14.07.2005 | Comments (28)

Found in 113 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 2

Comments: 45   Visited by: 2066 users
28.10.2021 - 16:37
Rating: 10
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by Roman Doez on 28.10.2021 at 16:33

Worse than I remembered it being, hesitating between giving it a 4 or a 5

Quick question: what the fuck?
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
28.10.2021 - 17:00
Zap
Written by Roman Doez on 28.10.2021 at 16:33

hesitating between giving it a 4 or a 5

Well, whichever one you choose; you're wrong.
28.10.2021 - 17:21
Rating: 4
Roman Doez
Hallucigenia
Written by RaduP on 28.10.2021 at 16:37

Quick question: what the fuck?

Written by Zap on 28.10.2021 at 17:00

Well, whichever one you choose; you're wrong.

Damn you guys didn't waste your time haha
I know it's a very unpopular opinion but there is genuinely no moment I enjoy in the album apart from a few parts of the title track, Parabola and Ticks & Leeches. Most of the time I'm just patiently waiting for the song to end, the last few tracks were genuinely close to unbearable. I don't really know why but this is genuinely one of the most boring releases I've ever heard.
28.10.2021 - 18:15
Rating: 8
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Written by Roman Doez on 28.10.2021 at 17:21

Damn you guys didn't waste your time haha
I know it's a very unpopular opinion but there is genuinely no moment I enjoy in the album apart from a few parts of the title track, Parabola and Ticks & Leeches. Most of the time I'm just patiently waiting for the song to end, the last few tracks were genuinely close to unbearable. I don't really know why but this is genuinely one of the most boring releases I've ever heard.

Although your in the minority, I can understand why you don't think much too this album, it's one of those that you either love it or you don't, I guess it's not for everyone.
28.10.2021 - 18:58
Zap

I don't really know why but this is genuinely one of the most boring releases I've ever heard.

If you think this is boring, I highly advise you to avoid the band's later works!
The albums before this might be worth a shot though. I prefer Ænima, but Undertow might be more your thing if you think Lateralus is boring.

I think in general I like every Tool album just a little more after each listen, none of them have gotten old for me yet, but none of them clicked immediately either.
28.10.2021 - 20:29
nikarg

I don't really know why but this is genuinely one of the most boring releases I've ever heard.

There is no accounting for taste, mon ami. We are in the minority though, for sure. From the band's entire discography, I can only listen to "Sober" and enjoy it in its entirety. Yes, just one song.

Of course, I get how influential and amazing musicians they are, I am not stupid to claim the opposite. Their music is just not for me (and you, apparently, and 3 or 4 more people in total besides us is my guess )
28.10.2021 - 22:15
Rating: 4
Roman Doez
Hallucigenia
Written by nikarg on 28.10.2021 at 20:29

There is no accounting for taste, mon ami. We are in the minority though, for sure. From the band's entire discography, I can only listen to "Sober" and enjoy it in its entirety. Yes, just one song.

Of course, I get how influential and amazing musicians they are, I am not stupid to claim the opposite. Their music is just not for me (and you, apparently, and 3 or 4 more people in total besides us is my guess )

Damn, glad to not be alone on this one! Having unpopular opinions is one of my specialties, but this one is particularly sensitive, reassures me that I'm not the only one to share it haha
28.10.2021 - 22:26
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Tool is one of those bands that the fandom ruined it so much it's hard for me to enjoy them anymore. Come to think of it I never listened to this particular album before
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
18.02.2022 - 13:25
Rating: 9
nonZero

Great but overrated IMO. I have a lot of patience for atmosphere creation in music (I'm a fan of Ambient music), but this album takes the cake a little in places.

8.7/10 for me - The title track is a masterpiece. 'Schism' is also a great song. The likes of 'The Patient', 'Parabol', and 'Disposition' drag my rating down as they are a bit empty in terms of memorable moments.
----
Top 500 Albums (ordered & rated)
Top 200 Overlooked Albums (with genres)
So I Heard You Like Wintersun... (Time II find new bands)
18.02.2022 - 13:30
gavdann

Written by nonZero on 18.02.2022 at 13:25

Great but overrated IMO.

Agreed. I much prefer Aenima. There's not a weak moment on that album for me.
25.03.2022 - 01:25
Rating: 7
Nate612

I wanted to love this so much. A few really good songs but so much of it bores me.
27.04.2022 - 15:23
Rating: 6
Gothic Metalhead
Pro Introvert
While I do love the songs that are well known (Schism, Parabola, and Lateralus) the entire album just sounds dull to my ears. It's definitely not bad it contains a lot of talent, but listening to the album felt like a chore. Maybe I'm just not into progressive metal...
27.04.2022 - 16:44
gavdann

Written by Gothic Metalhead on 27.04.2022 at 15:23

While I do love the songs that are well known (Schism, Parabola, and Lateralus) the entire album just sounds dull to my ears. It's definitely not bad it contains a lot of talent, but listening to the album felt like a chore. Maybe I'm just not into progressive metal...

That's the main issue I've always had with Lateralus. To much self-indulgent noodling mixed in with the great stuff.

AEnima wins hands down every time for me because it's all killer, no filler.
29.04.2022 - 11:22
Rating: 6
Gothic Metalhead
Pro Introvert
Written by gavdann on 27.04.2022 at 16:44

That's the main issue I've always had with Lateralus. To much self-indulgent noodling mixed in with the great stuff.

AEnima wins hands down every time for me because it's all killer, no filler.

AEnima is the only tool album I really liked that didn't feel too boring. It's not amazing, but most of the music was pretty good to listen
17.06.2022 - 13:55
Rating: 5
24emd
Theory Snob
Some enjoyable moments but few and far between. I get panic attacks thinking about relistening to this. Only good thing about this I can think of is the technicality based of mathematical concepts, at least its not ENTIRELY aimless wankery. Almost no melody, and I find MJK's voice pretty annoying. Sorry. Not for me.
----
"I am too stupid to be human, and I lack common sense." - Proverbs 30:2
"Music? Well, it's just entertainment, folks!" - Devin Townsend

Best 2024 Albums

Hits total: 41035 | This month: 103