Metal Storm logo
Best album by an 80's band during thrash resurgance

Original post

Posted by Angelic Storm, 25.11.2011 - 08:24
The 90's was a very dire decade for the thrash genre. With many bands of that genre either splitting up, or persuing new musical directions. Around the turn of the 00's, many of those aforementioned bands returned to playing thrash and/or reformed. Since then, a few of the genres old greats have shown they still have the capability to make amazing thrash music, with some genuine gems being released since thrash's resurgance. So, which album from the 80's thrash veterans do you think is the epitome of the recently regenerated thrash scene?

I love all of the albums that I've listed in the poll, and some others besides them. But if I had to pick only one, I think I'd have to go for "Tempo Of The Damned". As a comeback, they really couldn't have done any better. They managed to imbue their sound with a slight modern touch, but still retained the total thrash mania they delivered in the 80's. And it is more than deserving of sitting alongside their earlier classics like "Bonded By Blood", and "Pleasures Of The Flesh". Truly one of the great comebacks of all time in the metal genre. xD It's just a shame that after this album, both Zetro and Rick Hunolt exited the band...

Poll

What is your favourite latter day album by an 80's thrash band?

Enemy Of God - Kreator
Tempo Of The Damned - Exodus
The Formation Of Damnation - Testament
Christ Illusion - Slayer
Other
Ironbound - Overkill
In War And Pieces - Sodom
The Art Of Dying - Death Angel
Omega Wave - Forbidden

Total votes: 51
25.01.2012 - 17:35
Olli

Tempo of the damned is awesome, one of the few thrash bands that I like later albums more. Formation would be my second choice
----
When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us."
25.01.2012 - 18:08
Joppe
Steelemeister
Written by Guest on 23.01.2012 at 21:00

Unbeliviable that no one mentioned The Evolution of Chaos by Heathen. No Stone Unturned is better than all tracks on the mentioned albums. Formation of The Damned by Testament would be a second choice.

The Evolution of Chaos sure is a great album and I would choose it too. For me it doesn't sound as thrash as they used to be with their earlier albums, but it's more melodic than ever. Then again these melodies have made the songs more memorable (e.g. A Hero's Welcome).
----
My vision is augmented
29.01.2014 - 17:47
Infernal Eternal

Kreator have definately succeeded in keeping high standards, in contrast to other '80s thrash heroes. Well, their '85 - '90 material is more appealing to me but the new stuff is really good, too.
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
05.02.2014 - 03:05
UPDIRNS

I'd have to go with Exodus Exhibit B. Temp is good, but I thin Exhibit B has more to offer. There are some awesome bass lines and progressive riffage in this album. I also like Rob Dukes vocals over any other Exodus vocalist.

I voted for Formation though because I love Testament and that's one of their best albums in their catalog.
10.02.2014 - 23:14
Guib
Thrash Talker
Out of these my vote goes for Ironbound... but there's still better choices.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here