Metal Storm logo
Velvet Cacoon and Clair Cassis

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 18.05.2006 - 11:21
One of the most enigmatic bands to come out of the US, ney, the world in recent years. Shrouded in self perpetuated rumours and lies they only recently came out about the facts behind the band.

They used to play a form of ambient black metal but have drastically changed their style toward a kind of fuzzy shoegaze/dreampop (which I also really enjoy) with releases such as 'Dizzy From Eternity' and 'How the Last Day Came, and Stayed, then Faded Into Simulated Rain'. Their finest ambient BM releases include 'Genevieve' and 'Chapelflames (Red Steeples)' (which is the first 6 tracks of the 'Northsuite' compilation).

Anyhoo, one of my absolute fave bands of all time. Feel free to discuss the music, rumours and fibs and apparent ideology etc.[/color]
11.10.2008 - 11:55
VELVET (O)
Account deleted
Written by Dangerboner on 11.10.2008 at 07:27

Written by Guest on 19.09.2008 at 00:28

Written by Toolshed on 18.09.2008 at 11:02

Hey, not all of their music is fake. They stole only some shoegaze music, black metal music is really their. Uh, I like song titled 1.

Whole lyrics of that songs are:

"one four one"

...what the drugs can do

Yeah but a lot of people fake VC music. Not just VC faking their own music.

LMAO for the longest time, I thought your s/n was meant to be Velvet Revolver, but now I realize it's probably Velvet Cacooon huh.

Anyways I bought Northsuite today and if I like it I'll buy their other two albums at the same place.

Lulz yeah it's Velvet Cacoon. Not exactly a fan of Velvet Revolver O.o The (O) part of my name is supposed to be a visual representation of a "cocoon". Cacoon/Cocoon, geddit. Yeah fairly obscure.
12.10.2008 - 06:52
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Sorry dudes, but I'm halfway through Northsuite and I can't fucking stand this shit. Every song has the same annoying, repetitive, and simple drum beat, and the vocals sound like the dude is trying too hard to be evil. I love the guitar tone though, and I read some posts mentioning other albums have post rock, so instead of blindly buying the rest of their discography at the local store I'll resort to downloading.... maybe.

When I play it all I hear is the sound of me losing money....like the sound of bad financial decisions lol. Like really, all I hear is money falling out of my wallet.
12.10.2008 - 08:52
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by Dangerboner on 12.10.2008 at 06:52

Sorry dudes, but I'm halfway through Northsuite and I can't fucking stand this shit. Every song has the same annoying, repetitive, and simple drum beat, and the vocals sound like the dude is trying too hard to be evil. I love the guitar tone though, and I read some posts mentioning other albums have post rock, so instead of blindly buying the rest of their discography at the local store I'll resort to downloading.... maybe.

When I play it all I hear is the sound of me losing money....like the sound of bad financial decisions lol. Like really, all I hear is money falling out of my wallet.

I like Northuiste even more than Genevieve... I could be listening to the last, ambient track "Bloodscents" all day long on repeat mode... all the songs are amazing for me.
12.10.2008 - 23:15
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
In the description on Full Moon Productions of Atropine, VC's new album:

"Most of the drone library was originally recorded to DAT and buried in the ground for two years before reviving them for use."

----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
09.07.2009 - 01:55
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
New album has actually leaked.
09.07.2009 - 02:57
ForeverDarkWoods
Written by Guest on 09.07.2009 at 01:55

What's it like?

Gotta decide whether to check it out or not.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
09.07.2009 - 03:04
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 09.07.2009 at 02:57

Written by Guest on 09.07.2009 at 01:55

What's it like?

Gotta decide whether to check it out or not.

I really like it even though it's a little different from Genevieve etc. It's very slow, soft, floaty and hypnotic but still retaining a little black metal in there.
13.07.2009 - 04:06
Zombie, M.D.
I'd be surprised if it were anything more than mediocre, really. Genevieve is an AMAZING album, one of my absolute favorite black metal releases but everything else they've put out has been pretty lame.
----
"I really screwed up this time." - Jeffery Dahmer
13.07.2009 - 09:57
CrypticMyth
Metal Scientist
Written by Zombie, M.D. on 13.07.2009 at 04:06

I'd be surprised if it were anything more than mediocre, really. Genevieve is an AMAZING album, one of my absolute favorite black metal releases but everything else they've put out has been pretty lame.

I agree. Genevieve is unbeatable - but I'll still pay these guys their due and at the very least check out the new one.
----
"You're all the same, the lot of you, with your long hair and faggot clothes. Drugs, sex, every sort of filth. And you hate the police, don't you? You make it easy."
13.07.2009 - 15:20
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Zombie, M.D. on 13.07.2009 at 04:06

It's virtually nothing like Genevieve. I'd wager that Chapelflames was just as good as Genevieve, and to it's advantage it has Winterglow: Best VC track.
16.07.2009 - 14:32
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Heard the new album, nothing special in my opinion. Endless droning that goes nowhere.

EDIT: Hmmm, it does get better after repeated plays. Or perhaps thats because my mind is slightly groing deluded... Either way, I enjoyed the last spin more than the one before. I should give it some more time.
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
16.07.2009 - 15:00
W-Lash
Metal Master
Written by Lucas on 16.07.2009 at 14:32

Heard the new album, nothing special in my opinion. Endless droning that goes nowhere.

Exactly.
09.10.2009 - 20:18
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Completely forgot about that post. Dug it up again, P aa Opal Poere Pr. 33 I mean, and gave it a few spins. Ordered it because judgment will be fairer with good a good sound system.

I find it a rather interesting release, let's just keep it at that. I like how everything around VC has died.
----

25.07.2010 - 16:47
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
So anyone heard Velvet Cacoon's side project Clair Cassis?
05.08.2010 - 22:21
Voidwalker
Written by Guest on 25.07.2010 at 16:47

It's good, but not quite Velvet Cacoon good.
05.08.2010 - 22:26
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Voidwalker on 05.08.2010 at 22:21

Written by Guest on 25.07.2010 at 16:47

It's good, but not quite Velvet Cacoon good.

Yeah pretty much agreed with that. Seems to linger somewhere between the style of Paa pe ple ploo whatever it's called and Genevieve. I do like the variety and nuances of the album but it lacks the ultimate brilliance of some of the other stuff. Was still pleasantly surprised with it though.
02.09.2010 - 22:09
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
I haven't heard Clair Cassis yet, but I suppose it's basically what Velvet Cacoon would be without all the controversy? I was hoping they could turn the BM world upside down again... the more I read back on the entire VC-story, the more I love them.
----

02.09.2010 - 22:34
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Lucas on 02.09.2010 at 22:09

I haven't heard Clair Cassis yet, but I suppose it's basically what Velvet Cacoon would be without all the controversy? I was hoping they could turn the BM world upside down again... the more I read back on the entire VC-story, the more I love them.

I miss the days of the mystery and controversy. It's a bit like when Niles and Daphne got together on Frasier: it lost a lot of the appeal. Now all we have is the music, which is very good but it would be nice if one of the members went on a killing spree or something just to inject some of the notoriety back into them.

Clair Cassis is good stuff but basically Genevieve (which you were so-so about) crossed with the unpronouncable one (which you liked) so you'll probably find it decent.
02.09.2010 - 23:01
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Guest on 02.09.2010 at 22:34

Written by Lucas on 02.09.2010 at 22:09

I miss the days of the mystery and controversy. It's a bit like when Niles and Daphne got together on Frasier: it lost a lot of the appeal. Now all we have is the music, which is very good but it would be nice if one of the members went on a killing spree or something just to inject some of the notoriety back into them.

Haha yeah, Frasier lost a bit of it's appeal then. Shame.

Quote:
Clair Cassis is good stuff but basically Genevieve (which you were so-so about) crossed with the unpronouncable one (which you liked) so you'll probably find it decent.

Yeah, from what I've heard and read the music ain't really for me. That's why I really, really hope Josh'll come up with something. A killing spree would be good, but I am hoping for something more... awkward.
----

02.09.2010 - 23:04
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Lucas on 02.09.2010 at 23:01

I am hoping for something more... awkward.

A..... raping spree? O.o
02.09.2010 - 23:06
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Guest on 02.09.2010 at 23:04

A..... raping spree? O.o

An attempted raping spree, but halfway into the endeavour a becoming immobile out due to too much DXM. Then a naked, public plateau 4 drug trip resulting into... I honestly can't imagine.
----

02.09.2010 - 23:13
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Lucas on 02.09.2010 at 23:06

Written by Guest on 02.09.2010 at 23:04

A..... raping spree? O.o

An attempted raping spree, but halfway into the endeavour a becoming immobile out due to too much DXM. Then a naked, public plateau 4 drug trip resulting into... I honestly can't imagine.

That would be awesome. I don't think I could, or want, to imagine either if the stories of fourth plateau DXM trips are anything to go by =C
06.06.2011 - 02:49
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Have to say I'm really digging Clair Cassis in recent times. A very fitting spin off from the Velvet Cacoon sound. The 'Luxury Absolute' EP is easily peasily in my top releases this year.
06.06.2011 - 21:14
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
4th level DXM is amazing.

I'll check that CC stuff again. I'm in the mood for some brainless drone.
----

15.08.2012 - 01:14
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I don't quite believe it but there's a new Velvet Cacoon album. Downloading it now to see if it's legit but there's an entry on Metal Archives and it's supposed to have been released on the Khrysanthoney label. This could be the best news of the year (well, matching !T.O.O.H.! reforming anyway).

If it sounds like Genevieve or Chapelflames/Northsuite I'll probably be more excited than I've been in years, but even if it's a follow up to their 'P aa Opal Poere Pr. 33' record it'll still be a great surprise.

[EDIT]

Ok I skimmed through the album and I'm 97% sure it's fake. The sound just doesn't correspond in my opinion. If it's legit they've made a disappointing choice in sound.
15.08.2012 - 03:42
BlueMobius
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 15.08.2012 at 01:14

Ok I skimmed through the album and I'm 97% sure it's fake. The sound just doesn't correspond in my opinion. If it's legit they've made a disappointing choice in sound.

Hmm, this is very odd. It makes me wonder about the legitimacy especially since the band has a history of plagiarism and rumors.
17.08.2012 - 22:34
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
So the story goes this guy apparently used the name of the band, who said on the VC last.fm profile:

The new Velvet Cacoon album you all had seen was made by me, and is actually my new Black Metal album under the moniker Queen of Heathens. But why go through all the trouble to say it's a VC album?! Simple, to show just exactly how loyal of a fan I truly am. After helping to leak Luxury Absolute as well as supply the mp3s for the Dextronaut vinyl I was beyond distraught after being heavily lied to last year about two new VC albums. What caused an issue to me was how the info was presented to "test the loyalty of the fans to Josh's art." If someone doesn't think I'm dedicated, why not show them by doing the very thing Josh has done and give a community a little buzz. Furthermore, why not prove my worth in the Velvet Cacoon world by attempting to be VC? If anything, I think my loyalty is proven simply for how much debate and ire this whole experiment has caused everyone and how so many people seem to have been really happy over such a lie. Thanks for playing along ladies and gents.

Who knows really. Could be part of a larger ruse, My guess is it's not.
17.08.2012 - 22:41
BlueMobius
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 17.08.2012 at 22:34

Who knows really. Could be part of a larger ruse, My guess is it's not.

Lol, that's quite hilarious if it's true.
26.08.2012 - 00:33
Oaken
Hipster
Was actually going to download it and listen to it. Luckily, I didn't
----
In that case, man is only air as well.