Album: Voimasta Ja Kunniasta
Release date: November 2001

01. Tyven
02. Sankarihauta
03. Kylän Päässä
04. Hiidenpelto incl. Häpeän Hiljaiset Vedet
05. Aurinko Ja Kuu
06. Sankaritarina

To truly understand the rating I give to this album you must listen to the music; but don't listen to see if the vocals are good, or the drums, guitar or keyboard. Ok, you may say that this is a Viking metal album and metal is about... NO. This is a very atmospheric album, more than metal, and that is what it counts here. This album makes you travel through space and time to where Vikings live in wartime. And you are there. This is my feeling when listening to this. And you know what? I love Vikings!

But let's talk about the music. What you will hear here is a very well done epic Viking (or heathen like they call themselves) metal. Beginning with "Tyven" and ending with "Sankaritarina" you will be in a very atmospheric musical experience. One of the things that makes this album unique is the riffs. Are they epic? Yes. Are they boring? No. Are they repeated endlessly? Yes. Does it make it boring? No. Does it create a fucking atmosphere? Hell, yeah!

In fact, let's begin describing the music. "Tyven" is a keyboard driven prologue, in which there is only a riff, repeated until the end, preparing the atmosphere, until "Sankarihauta" explodes where "Tyven" ends. The main riff is repeated in nearly 80% of the song, but it never feels boring or monotone. There are two main breaks, one at 3:30 (the scream here is the best metal scream, trust me!) and other at the end, where the keyboard takes the lead and it's fucking great! The feeling of that is indescribable. Just hear it and see Vikings in all their glory.

If I had to tell which song is the best I just couldn't because this little piece of music is just perfectly done. "Sankarihauta" is the perfect opener, because if you don't like this, I doubt you will like the rest of the album. "Kylän Päässä" is the heaviest track, and "Sankaritarina" the most atmospheric and longest. But don't worry, you won't bore. Just when you think the song is beginning, it just ended, and about 13 minutes had gone like 5. It's like that, it has happened my always, even I've heard this song hundreds of times.

I could still describe what I believe is my favorite album, but this can't be described merely by words. Just hear the album. If you like extreme metal, know this band has the best screams I've heard ever. If you like melodic metal, don't worry, because there is enough melody for you. Hell, if you like music the then kill, destroy to get this album!

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 10
Production: 10

Written by Talvi | 01.06.2006

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 18   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 260 users
13.10.2006 - 01:24
Unholy_Emperor

WTF! 10 is a bit overrated, for me 8.
13.10.2006 - 04:32
Rating: 8
Talvi

Written by Unholy_Emperor on 13.10.2006 at 01:24

WTF! 10 is a bit overrated, for me 8.

If you comment just for whining, at least give us an explanation.
----
My account on other musical pages:
http://www.last.fm/user/Pozito/
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Talvi
13.10.2006 - 18:09
Unholy_Emperor

Ok, Moonsorrow is a good band for me, they know what they want and do it well, I have this cd original and enjoy it a lot but for me 10 is just for masterpieces and I don't consider this a perfect album.

Personally the perfection in viking metal has only been achieved by Bathory.

P.D. Obviously that's only my opinion.
13.10.2006 - 19:01
Talvi

I like that much better

Yeah, of course, not for everyone Moonsorrow is a godlike band. But for me, they are maybe not the best band, but probably the one that I like the most, as I love their four albums, and I don't think I like as much a band as this. So, this has done to me the highest percentage of ownage band, because I can't think of any bad song of this band.
----
12.02.2007 - 10:34
Rating: 10
Major

I don't think it's overrated; it deserves a 10. IMO this is the second best Moonsorrow album after Verisakeet. I also cannot think of any bad song of this band. And Ville is one of the finest vocalists metal has to offer.
09.04.2007 - 18:26
baekaesh

Quote:
Largos: There are two main breaks, one at 3:30 (the scream here is the best metal scream, trust me!)

there is no scream at 3:30, believe me!
09.04.2007 - 18:27
Talvi

Quote:
Written by baekaesh on 09.04.2007 at 18:26

[quote=Largos]There are two main breaks, one at 3:30 (the scream here is the best metal scream, trust me!)

there is no scream at 3:30, believe me!

How would you call that?
----
09.04.2007 - 18:31
baekaesh

well, i've just checked. again, there is no scream on the song "Sankarihauta" at that time. though, i would be glad to hear that scream, so if you could be so kind and check the song again and ''update'' your review..

cheers!
09.04.2007 - 18:44
Talvi

Written by baekaesh on 09.04.2007 at 18:31

well, i've just checked. again, there is no scream on the song "Sankarihauta" at that time. though, i would be glad to hear that scream, so if you could be so kind and check the song again and ''update'' your review..

cheers!

It is, just where the keys begin going cool . Dunno if your timing it's different
----
26.08.2007 - 23:05
Rating: 7
Lucas
Mr. Noise
There is indeed one fucking good scream in that second song. Together with the intro of a song I can't remember (piano intro) and the intro of the song 'Aurinko Ja Kuu' the best parts. Truly awesome parts.

BUT, that is for me the only awesome stuff on it. The rest is nothing but overrated music to my taste. A seven (and maybe a half) would do justice.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
01.09.2007 - 23:43
Mizer84
Account deleted
There are so many great elements in the album that I just can't help loving: the impressive screams, how "Kylän Päässä" changes into that powerful blast in 6:00, how "Hiidenpelto" just feels so mercilessly raw from 4:20 on (especially lyrics & vocals), all those light acoustic phases in the songs, how the vocals echo so much, and finally, those heavy kickass riffs!

Kivenkantaja has clearly better overall quality and stronger sound than Voimasta Ja Kunniasta. You'll hear it instantly. ...But there are so many great hooks in this album that I have to rate them both equally good. Amazing music, a must have: it's 9,5 from me.
08.08.2008 - 15:27
Elio
Red Nightmare
this album is fuckin awesome...great review largos I would have written the same things...the only song I don't understand completely is Hiidenpelto...well I'll listen to it again...and then the whole album
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
23.08.2009 - 03:43
wormdrink414

Just got this album and god damn myself for not getting it earlier. They really are incapable of producing a 'bad' album.
30.12.2009 - 20:32
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
I dont know. Im having a pretty hard time with this album, just cant seem to enjoy it.

It has some really cool folk moments, but they are not as good as I thought it would be. Maybe everyone simply telling me how good this album is create some wrong expectations.

The two last songs are pretty good. Rest is disappointing.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
15.09.2010 - 22:29
Morphis

Totaly agree with Talvi, this is definitely a masterpiece, at least a masterpiece of viking/folk metal, togheter with Kivenkantaja and Suden Uni.
18.09.2010 - 03:46
advent

Good album , i really enjoyed it thought i am not viking/folk metal fan, but the rating is a little high.

Anyway the band execute their music well, good musicianship.
26.11.2018 - 19:47
Starvynth
i c deaf people
Unfortunatey, this is most probably one of the worst reviews I ever read....

fanboyism: 10
well-founded arguments why this record deserves 10/10 points for it's originality: 0

However, "Does it create a fucking atmosphere? Hell, yeah!" and "Hell, if you like music the [sic!] then kill, destroy to get this album!" made me giggle.
----
signatures = SPAM
17.10.2019 - 15:55
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Opening part, I agree, translate songs, look into booklet, artwork and listen it in autumn night, visions are clearer here , its real journey, what abm actuallu is!
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 11628 | This month: 17