02. The Great Pretender [Millboy & Peka P Remix]
03. Dirty Woman [MC Raaka Pee Remix]
04. You Only Live Twice [Rectifier Remix]
05. Leave Me Alone [Rectifier Remix]
06. Eleanor Rigby [The Beatles cover] [Live at Sundown Festival, 2008]
07. Follow Me [Live in Brussels, 2009]
08. I Don't Care [Live at Raimsmes Festival, 2009]
09. Bitch [Live at Raismes Festival, 2009]

Welcome Painheads and enter another journey of luxurious music where Pain is pleasure. I believe there is no need to mention who the man behind the wheels (read: vocals, guitars, bass and keyboards) of Pain is. Peter Tägtgren released You Only Live Twice as Pain's 7th studio album which I admit, I awaited very anxiously for, since his previous work Cynic Paradise did not impress me as I hoped it would, as I found it too soft, even though I am very well aware that Pain doesn't deliver the most bone crushing sound and is more of Tägtgren's soft, melodic alter-ego. I was really hoping that its successor would bring something a bit more vigorous to Pain's discography and fortunately I wasn't wrong, even though I needed some time for this album to grow on me.

The sound of this album is a bit refreshing, even though the basic melodies are still driven by the generic Pain sound we are used to: very dense in electronics, which you will hear in ''The Great Pretender''. But Tägtgren took a step forward and upgraded it with some heavy riffing that gives this album an edge. Also, Peter's vocals are at his absolute best on this album, as he is flowing from clean singing to twisted screams and haunting whispers that almost slide into the realm of gothic music, that really complete the songs. And not only does he sound absolutely amazing, he also shows great control over his vocals, especially when he's instantly passing from one style to other. Just listen the heavy screaming on ''Let Me Out'' moving to ghastly vocals and the heavy riffing on ''Feed The Demons'', ''We Want More'' and ''Monster'' combined with his wretched screams, and you will taste the album's finest. Of course, this album would not be complete if Peter would not flirt with some slower sounds as well, so he gave us ''Season Of The Reaper'' and ''Leave Me Alone'' to taste a bit of everything. ''You Only Live Twice'' is my favourite track from the album, with its unique larger than life feel that is embodied in the sound of it.

Disc II then is just a special treat for all Painheads as it features one previously unreleased song ''Crawling Thru Bitterness'' and some remixes and live recordings. To be honest, I never really considered it as a part of the album, but as some extra bit of spice. There is no need to emphasize: the originals are superb to remixes. The live version of ''Follow Me'' and ''Eleanor Rigby'' are actually the only two tracks from this disc, which are really worth listening from time to time.

All in all, I cannot really say this album is the best thing that has ever happened to Pain, but it deserves to be presented proudly. Originality may not be its best quality, but it brings a fresh touch, heavier sound, wicked vocals and some diversity. So for those who still think Pain is just Tägtgren's bastard child, it is time to open your eyes and see he really did get his hands dirty with industrialism and there is no need to wash them.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 10

Written by AnGina-- | 30.11.2011

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 18   Visited by: 72 users
01.12.2011 - 01:09
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Pain is one of the worst bands currently recording and this album is yet more proof of this.
01.12.2011 - 02:26
Rating: 7
pagb666

Written by jupitreas on 01.12.2011 at 01:09

Pain is one of the worst bands currently recording and this album is yet more proof of this.

Nobody forces you to listen to it, nor to publish TWO reviews throwing shit on the band. I don't like Hypocrisy at all and I wouldn't waste my time reviewing it, nor listening to more than 1 record from them... you must be either masochist by exposing yourself to every "hazardous" material Pain releases, yet you don't even learn to stay away from them... or you are simple hater.

Pain may not the greatest band on the world, it sound pop-ish, lyrics are shallow... but you know, it's not necesarily bad because of it, and it is enjoyable to listen to.

PD: Oh, and about the record itself. It is clearly not the greatest from the band, but it is defintely better than the last one.
01.12.2011 - 02:59
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Ya jup you hipster industrial know-it-all hater, why review something if you aren't going to score it a perfect 10 because it's the best band in the world.

Oh, and for the sake of the reviewer, this was well-written, although I have no interest in the music whatsoever.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
01.12.2011 - 03:04
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Written by pagb666 on 01.12.2011 at 02:26

Written by jupitreas on 01.12.2011 at 01:09

Nobody forces you to listen to it, nor to publish TWO reviews throwing shit on the band. I don't like Hypocrisy at all and I wouldn't waste my time reviewing it, nor listening to more than 1 record from them... you must be either masochist by exposing yourself to every "hazardous" material Pain releases, yet you don't even learn to stay away from them... or you are simple hater.

Pain may not the greatest band on the world, it sound pop-ish, lyrics are shallow... but you know, it's not necesarily bad because of it, and it is enjoyable to listen to.

PD: Oh, and about the record itself. It is clearly not the greatest from the band, but it is defintely better than the last one.

Forgive me for giving an opinion about music, LOL. I am a music critic and lover and I listen to anything that I can get my hands on. If it happens to be shit, I am vocal about it, just as when I praise albums that are great. Pain is shit and the world needs to know this.
01.12.2011 - 06:32
Susan
Smeghead
So would you say it's.... "painful" to listen to this band?
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
01.12.2011 - 06:38
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Susan on 01.12.2011 at 06:32

Looks like jup beat you to it... twice.

"Unfortunately, Peter's industrial/pop metal band Pain is simply dreadfully wrong and literally a pain to listen to."
"...it was indeed a pain to wade through this stuff."
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
01.12.2011 - 06:39
Susan
Smeghead
Written by Troy Killjoy on 01.12.2011 at 06:38

Written by Susan on 01.12.2011 at 06:32

Looks like jup beat you to it... twice.

"Unfortunately, Peter's industrial/pop metal band Pain is simply dreadfully wrong and literally a pain to listen to."
"...it was indeed a pain to wade through this stuff."

I bet it pained you to tell me that.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
01.12.2011 - 06:41
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Susan on 01.12.2011 at 06:39
I bet it pained you to tell me that.

-.-
----
01.12.2011 - 14:45
Milena
gloom cookie
All this pain in the comments HURTS me.
(ba-dum-tss!)

Nice review, girl, keep it up!
----
7.0 means the album is good
01.12.2011 - 17:13
Slayer666

As painful as this is for me to admit, this is a very good review.
A shame that it's wasted on such a crappy album. It's painfully banal and just completely unmemorable.
02.12.2011 - 16:40
Rating: 6
hadriel

Written by Slayer666 on 01.12.2011 at 17:13

As painful as this is for me to admit, this is a very good review.
A shame that it's wasted on such a crappy album. It's painfully banal and just completely unmemorable.

^ this.
02.12.2011 - 20:00
Rating: 8
ravendeath

I can't believe that so much people hate Pain..., but alright, everyone can have his/her opinion. Anyway, great review AnGina!
03.12.2011 - 01:28
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
I'm glad people are coming forward with their hate of Pain. It gives me some hope that people aren't completely devoid of taste yet. Pain is industrial metal for the sub 90 IQ demographic for sure.
03.12.2011 - 10:06
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
I was actually quite biased whether to publish the review or not, because I know from reading the comments about this album here and from my friends that a lot of people really dislike this album, but for me it's Pain best work after Nothing Remains The Same.

I want to thank everyone for the compliments on the review, whether you liked the album or not, because reading your comments made me realise that even if you share your negative feedback, it doesn't get to me at all, because it's not up to me to convince anyone the album is good or not, that's the band's work. Tastes vary, that's nothing new, and if some MSers will feel a lot better about themselves by pushing the Pain fans down, then be my guest.
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
29.12.2011 - 13:57
MechanisT
Account deleted
I like this album. Is Mensa going to cancel my membership?
I feel it's a pretty enjoyable album. The catchiness really works on the stronger songs (The Great Pretender, for one). The others? Not really. All in all, inconsistent, yet at the same time fairly enjoyable.
Nice review, though the rating's slightly high.
31.12.2011 - 05:11
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 29.12.2011 at 13:57

If you like Pain, you aren't a member of Mensa.
----
31.12.2011 - 09:59
MechanisT
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 31.12.2011 at 05:11

Written by Guest on 29.12.2011 at 13:57

If you like Pain, you aren't a member of Mensa.

Of course not. That is what is being implied, so don't be surprised when you see me in power in the next couple of decades or so.
02.01.2012 - 18:22
Rating: 8
ravendeath

Mensa should give to listen the music of Pain to the candidates as a test for the membership.

Hits total: 5553 | This month: 10