06. Chapter VI
07. Chapter VII
08. Chapter VIII

Additional info
M.o.R.T. = French word for Death

Guest review by
!J.O.O.E.!
Rating:
If there was ever a more polarising album I've yet to hear it. There's no "it's not bad" or "it's pretty good," only abject disdain and unparalleled adoration. I may be overstating it somewhat but the case with Blut Aus Nord's most experimental release to date is that it flies so flagrantly in the face of convention you either get it or you don't. Perhaps the biggest reason for this is because there really is no precedent with MoRT. Is it black metal? Is it industrial? It may be both. Then again it may be neither. But then that's part of its ambivalent beauty.

Read more ››
published 23.05.2010 | Comments (24)

Found in 10 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 42   Visited by: 311 users
01.12.2011 - 18:41
Rating: 9
InnerSelf
proofread free
Yep this is great really challenging and overwhelming in an oppressive way. I don't see myself listening to it all of the time but when I do it is rewarding
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
07.08.2012 - 19:47
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
This album really is like a fine wine; it get's better with age:

26.01.2013 - 10:58
Rating: 10
mz
This is really a great album. I hope that they come back on their style in MoRT some day.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
29.06.2013 - 23:33
mz
Really gets better with each spin. Btw,I think I've read an interview with Vindsval about MoRT that he stated this album is exclusively recorded by himself and no other band member was involved because MoRT has personal value/meaning for him and he couldn't let any body else to have influence on it. Am I right?
----
12.12.2013 - 07:56
Lit.
Account deleted
If it's an album that gets better with more spins, I'll never know cause it bored me enough that I don't want to touch it again. The Work Which Transforms God is miles beyond this.
12.12.2013 - 19:24
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 12.12.2013 at 07:56

If it's an album that gets better with more spins, I'll never know cause it bored me enough that I don't want to touch it again. The Work Which Transforms God is miles beyond this.

I've long since become so familiar with TWWTG that listening to it gives me very little aside from a few of the tracks. MoRT however is still as fresh and challenging as the day it first came out. MoRT is definitely the most pure representation of the band, and it's most accomplished release for me.
10.02.2014 - 22:22
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I find it quite worrying that the MS user called M.o.R.T. gave this album 6/10.
10.02.2014 - 22:34
Rating: 8
Demerzel
Maybe he's just a huge Pratchett fan? Although it doesn't make sense considering the capitalization he used.
04.09.2014 - 14:37
mz
Yeah this gets better with each spin. Still looking for bands playing anything similar to this.
My only complain is that it's too short for its own good. By the time the album ends I feel unsatisfied.
I cant wait to hear his other project which is meant to be a combination of MorT and sound of bands like Virus, VED BUENS ENDE and Gorguts.
----
11.10.2014 - 15:44
Rating: 5
Erik M.
Written by Guest on 12.12.2013 at 07:56

Just listened to this again and some of the ambient elements really annoy me. Sure, it's a unique record but that doesn't automatically make it good. In fact, it's not even an enjoyable album to me, as it's pretty boring and most tracks sound the same. Indeed, while TWWTG is excellent, this totally is not, to me. Listened to this twice and I'll probably never listen to this again.
26.01.2015 - 15:00
Zap
I thought this was interesting as hell. I definitely need to give it more spins though, but I seem to be one of the few people in between the "wow, amazing" and the "wow, absolute shite"
27.08.2015 - 02:41
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
This album is pretty excellent. My only complaint with it is that it didn't have an epic finisher like TWWTG. It just sort of seemed to trail off... Don't get me wrong, I feel like it worked for this album, leaving you in a state of confusion and despair with absolutely no closure, but it's still not my favorite way to end an album.

Oddly, despite the fact that this sounds like it's trying to be an album with absolutely zero hooks, I still found myself hooked on a few tracks... I recall a few times where I turned on this album just because I had Chapter II stuck in my head all day.

It took a few spins to appreciate, but it eventually all makes sense. It's like a twisted nightmare, and it's fantastic.
----
19.10.2015 - 20:17
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
This really is just so genius. One of a kind sound that still hasn't quite been recreated to this day
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
02.11.2015 - 01:47
Wukk
Decided to try this on a whim, not knowing what to expect, other than to expect something strange. It's certainly interesting and there's a lot to talk about. Quite enjoyable and I can see why people end up either hooked on it or not making it through the first ten minutes, but I'm happy to leave it after one spin now that my curiosity has been satisfied.

On the subject of categorisation, the internet's favourite topic of conversation, I can't hear any black metal elements whatsoever, so I'm not sure why people use that label. Hardly any metal at all, even.
----
If you're 666 then I'm 777
http://www.last.fm/user/Joodicator
03.11.2015 - 00:39
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Wukk on 02.11.2015 at 01:47

Decided to try this on a whim, not knowing what to expect, other than to expect something strange. It's certainly interesting and there's a lot to talk about. Quite enjoyable and I can see why people end up either hooked on it or not making it through the first ten minutes, but I'm happy to leave it after one spin now that my curiosity has been satisfied.

On the subject of categorisation, the internet's favourite topic of conversation, I can't hear any black metal elements whatsoever, so I'm not sure why people use that label. Hardly any metal at all, even.

Aside from the vocals it isn't really black metal at all but by association I guess it gets thrown into that bracket. Whether or not it's metal I don't know though. I've listened to this record hundreds of times and I still don't really know what it is which is probably why I like it so much.
03.11.2015 - 01:47
Lit.
Account deleted
Well, I've gone through pretty much their whole discography now, giving this a second listen and I can conclude with absolute certainty that this ties with Mythical Beast as their worst album, and the fact that this album comes after their best and they destroyed what could've been a good flow of consistency by attempting a failed experiment is an x factor.

Still can't get why this is so praised. I guess even the mediocre deserve representation.
03.11.2015 - 01:50
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Finished playthrough number 127+ about half an hour ago. Still blew every fibre of my being into another dimension. Even Chapter VII and VIII felt somewhat unfamiliar to me. Best BaN album for sure. It's quintessentially what this outift should be for and about.
07.11.2015 - 20:37
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
Written by Guest on 03.11.2015 at 01:47

Well, I've gone through pretty much their whole discography now, giving this a second listen and I can conclude with absolute certainty that this ties with Mythical Beast as their worst album, and the fact that this album comes after their best and they destroyed what could've been a good flow of consistency by attempting a failed experiment is an x factor.

Still can't get why this is so praised. I guess even the mediocre deserve representation.

As Joe said in his review... "If there was ever a more polarising album I've yet to hear it. There's no "it's not bad" or "it's pretty good," only abject disdain and unparalleled adoration."
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
07.11.2015 - 21:11
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by Auntie Sahar on 07.11.2015 at 20:37

As Joe said in his review... "If there was ever a more polarizing album I've yet to hear it. There's no "it's not bad" or "it's pretty good," only abject disdain and unparalleled adoration."

And that "unparalleled adoration" is certainly unwarranted, but whatever floats your boats.

It just baffles me that they went from their phenomenal last record by abandoning the structures and cold mechanical atmosphere that made their TWWTG one of the greatest albums in the whole genre of black metal to a pointless, weird-for-weirdness-sake, exercise in empty ambiance that makes the 30 minute ambient pieces on the first couple of Owl albums seem interesting by comparison. It's like In Flames going from their classic melodeath to the alt rock crap they're playing now or Celtic Frost going from To Mega Therion to their glam albums. Thank god they tried to bounce back with Odinist and are back on the line with their trilogy albums, or this band would've gone into the shitter.

Yet some people worship this album like it's the Second Coming of Christ. It's almost hipster-ish, in a way. One of life's greatest mysteries.
07.11.2015 - 21:19
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Guest on 07.11.2015 at 21:11

Written by Auntie Sahar on 07.11.2015 at 20:37

As Joe said in his review... "If there was ever a more polarizing album I've yet to hear it. There's no "it's not bad" or "it's pretty good," only abject disdain and unparalleled adoration."

And that "unparalleled adoration" is certainly unwarranted.

Why? Because you don't like it? Please.

What I find blaffing is that I don't even find it that weird anymore. Ambience aside, when the album really gets going with the drum machines and the dissonance.... It's not that different from the dissonance found in the 777-series (the first two) only less focus on riffing and more on leads while adding extra dissonance. The beats are virtually the same. So while you don't understand the praise, I have a hard time understand the hate it gets from fans.

Also, hipster? You lost a big chunk of credibility there.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
07.11.2015 - 21:21
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
Written by Guest on 07.11.2015 at 21:11

And that "unparalleled adoration" is certainly unwarranted, but whatever floats your boats.

It just baffles me that they went from their phenomenal last record by abandoning the structures and cold mechanical atmosphere that made their TWWTG one of the greatest albums in the whole genre of black metal to a pointless, weird-for-weirdness-sake, exercise in empty ambiance that makes the 30 minute ambient pieces on the first couple of Owl albums seem interesting by comparison. It's like In Flames going from their classic melodeath to the alt rock crap they're playing now. Thank god they tried to bounce back with Odinist, or this band would've gone into the shitter.

Yet some people worship this album like it's the Second Coming of Christ. It's almost hipster-ish, in a way. One of life's greatest mysteries.

I would not call this simply ambient music, it is indeed very free flowing and atmospheric at point, but I do think there's an underlying sense of structure at work here. It's rather paradoxical and one of the things that consistently puzzles me about this album (but indeed, that's part of what attracts me to it) because it seems to be both formless and concrete, somehow simultaneously. I wouldn't say it's weirdness for the sake of weirdness either, as this is one of the very few BAN albums where Vindsval has done everything himself, so that, combined with some things he's said in interviews, tell me that it has a very personal significance for him.

As far as peoples' like for this album being "hipster-ish"... all I can do is shake my head at that one. It's funny to me how sometimes "hipster" is used in a derogatory way, like, if you enjoy anything that's significantly unconventional and Avantgarde, and lavish it with praise, you're a hipster. It's not that black and white, man
----

~ II. VII
07.11.2015 - 22:29
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 07.11.2015 at 21:19

What I find baffling is that I don't even find it that weird anymore. Ambience aside, when the album really gets going with the drum machines and the dissonance.... It's not that different from the dissonance found in the 777-series (the first two) only less focus on riffing and more on leads while adding extra dissonance. The beats are virtually the same. So while you don't understand the praise, I have a hard time understand the hate it gets from fans.

Then how come everyone, all 5 of you, who praise it, Joe for instance, says it's unlike anything ever made in, not just BaN, but music in general, presumptuous that accusation may be? I mean, I really like the 777 trilogy, but I can't stand this album.

Written by X-Ray Rod on 07.11.2015 at 21:19

Also, hipster? You lost a big chunk of credibility there.

Oh, please. Like I had any to begin with.

Written by Auntie Sahar on 07.11.2015 at 21:21

I would not call this simply ambient music, it is indeed very free flowing and atmospheric at point, but I do think there's an underlying sense of structure at work here. It's rather paradoxical and one of the things that consistently puzzles me about this album (but indeed, that's part of what attracts me to it) because it seems to be both formless and concrete, somehow simultaneously.

That's how I feel about most drone albums I like, so I don't see the big deal.

I wouldn't say it's weirdness for the sake of weirdness either, as this is one of the very few BAN albums where Vindsval has done everything himself, so that, combined with some things he's said in interviews, tell me that it has a very personal significance for him.

I... don't get why those two points complement each other, one man can make an album for weirdness sake just as much as a full ensemble could. And concerning Vindsval, he regards all his music as personal, whether he worked on it alone or not, and apparently feels that Ultima Thuree was the work that shaped things to come, regarding each evolution of his music as an end result, from TWWTG to MV to MoRT.

As far as peoples' like for this album being "hipster-ish"... all I can do is shake my head at that one. It's funny to me how sometimes "hipster" is used in a derogatory way, like, if you enjoy anything that's significantly unconventional and Avantgarde, and lavish it with praise, you're a hipster. It's not that black and white, man

I should probably say this since Doc brought it up, too. I'm not using Hipster in derog-form. Usually when I hear the word hipster, I think of someone who "reject mainstream for whatever reason, be it criticism of mainstream, preference to underground stuff, etc." neither good nor bad, and since this album isn't the most "popular" (and I use that term lightly), at least compared to say TWWTG, the MV series, and so on, and is in fact probably the most controversial, as all of you say, it was the first thing that came to mind.
07.11.2015 - 22:37
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Guest on 07.11.2015 at 22:29
Then how come everyone, all 5 of you, who praise it, Joe for instance, says it's unlike anything ever made in, not just BaN, but music in general, presumptuous that accusation may be? I mean, I really like the 777 trilogy, but I can't stand this album.

Tough question... I'd say it would be friggin difference in opinions? Wild guess!
And yes, it IS unique. I only talked about things like beats and dissonance and the way those two are used being similar to the first 2 albums in the 777 series. Now, the way the everything is orchestrated, that is unique. You don't like it. I do. Is there anything more to add? Nah.

I never understood what "weirdness for weirdness sake" even means. It's just another way of saying "I don't like this artform, therefore it lacks logic".
----
Rod, let me love you.
07.11.2015 - 23:53
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 07.11.2015 at 22:37

I never understood what "weirdness for weirdness sake" even means. It's just another way of saying "I don't like this artform, therefore it lacks logic".

Agreed. Lazy, derogatory rhetoric. Such a statement implies a direct understanding of the reasons the creator made it in the first place. One could say that about anything, GTT for example. The fact it's entirely dependent on whether or not the listener likes it shows what a pointless statement it is (for example it's never used when someone actually likes something).

Anyway, people's lack of "getting it" doesn't really affect my enjoyment of this anyway. People have been not getting since it came out and probably will continue to do so. It makes total sense to me though.
08.11.2015 - 00:01
mz
A part of what makes this album so great for me is that, despite all its wierdness, it is still an album I could play for several spins back to back without getting bored, and that is quiet an achievement considering that all the songs are more or less based on the same concepts, and are very similar. The main complain here for me is that it is too short, and that must say a lot about it, given the extremety of its expermentation.
Another interesting thing is that it manages to create the nihilistic and dark atmosphere almost every BM record ever wants to induce, without actually being black metal. Few records can acheive that, and they include lurker of chalice, the last emptiness, this and virus-black flux to a much lesser extent.
I, for one, am eagerly waiting to see what is he going to come up with that side project meant to sound similar to MoRT. He had stated that "MoRT is just a start" and that makes me so happy and curious. Would love to see how it gets if they push it even further, using those fretless guitars, but also a human drummer this time.
----
08.11.2015 - 00:05
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
If I had a minor complaint is that the album could do with a few more counterpoints dotted around, like in V (I think). Apart from that it's basically perfect.

I doubt he'll match this tbh. Part of the reason is that his production techniques seem to suck these days and I doubt he'll manage to get the right sound again.
08.11.2015 - 00:08
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Guest on 07.11.2015 at 23:53

Written by X-Ray Rod on 07.11.2015 at 22:37

Agreed. Lazy, derogatory rhetoric. Such a statement implies a direct understanding of the reasons the creator made it in the first place. One could say that about anything, GTT for example. The fact it's entirely dependent on whether or not the listener likes it shows what a pointless statement it is (for example it's never used when someone actually likes something).
Anyway, people's lack of "getting it" doesn't really affect my enjoyment of this anyway. People have been not getting since it came out and probably will continue to do so. It makes total sense to me though.

I said it before (about Chaos Echoes) and I say it again with this album. I don't even find it that weird. Sure, it's extremely unconventional. But I don't understand how it can be so polarizing. But like the previous time we discussed this, I think it says more about me than the average fella.
----
Rod, let me love you.
08.11.2015 - 00:12
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 08.11.2015 at 00:08

I said it before (about Chaos Echoes) and I say it again with this album. I don't even find it that weird. Sure, it's extremely unconventional. But I don't understand how it can be so polarizing. But like the previous time we discussed this, I think it says more about me than the average fella.

Well I think anyone that sets out to make something experimental, odd, out-there etc. could reasonably be described as someone "making something for weirdness" sakes. It's really not a judgement on quality, as much as some people would like it to be. Whether or not something works is really the issue. Some things do, some don't. Many people disagree on what does and doesn't ultimately, though. I think it's about how easy one can see the method at hand.
08.11.2015 - 00:14
mz
Written by Guest on 08.11.2015 at 00:05

If I had a minor complaint is that the album could do with a few more counterpoints dotted around, like in V (I think). Apart from that it's basically perfect.

I doubt he'll match this tbh. Part of the reason is that his production techniques seem to suck these days and I doubt he'll manage to get the right sound again.

Now that I think, I consider those processed vocals a bit off putting. Thanks God they are not used extensively.
I don't think his production abilities suck these days. The sound was bad on the first part of the triology, and also on liber III. I had no problem with what he did on that MorTi EP, and their split with PHOBOS had a very good production, too.
----
08.11.2015 - 00:16
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by mz on 08.11.2015 at 00:14

Now that I think, I consider those processed vocals a bit off putting. Thanks God they are not used extensively.
I don't think his production abilities suck these days. The sound was bad on the first part of the triology, and also on liber III. I had no problem with what he did on that MorTi EP, and their split with PHOBOS had a very good production, too.

The MorTi EP probably has the worst of the lot for me =P really harsh and ill fitting. Thematic and MoRT, Odinist, Liber II rule the roost in terms of sound.

Hits total: 10398 | This month: 31