06. Bed Of Nails [Alice Cooper cover]
07. Spelled In Waters [feat. Marcus Siepen]
08. Neuer Wind
09. The Higher Flight
10. Master Of The Wind [Manowar cover]
11. Betrayed [bonus]
12. Bad To The Bone [Running Wild cover] [bonus]
13. A Storm To Come [bonus]

Although I'm aware running out of ideas isn't an option for Van Canto, I was still caught by surprise when they announced the recording of their fourth album only a year after the marvelous Tribe Of Force. Naturally, fears of a rushed and half-assed record followed, but I'm pleased to say Van Canto didn't fall into that trap, unlike some bands in 2011. The new album, Break The Silence, isn't quite as strong as its two predecessors, but I hope that isn't a sign of a dry spell and that we'll enjoy quality releases from this young band for many years to come.

I must regretfully inform you that the covers, one of Van Canto's trademarks for sure, aren't all that strong or interesting, with the exception of "Bed Of Nails". A soulful remake of Manowar's "Master Of The Wind" and Running Wild's rock tune, "Bad To The Bone", lack the excitement factor their covers used to have, and the band's take on "Primo Victoria" turned out to be awfully pedestrian, though my utter dislike for Sabaton probably accounts for a part of that impression.

The album starts with firing a handful of straightforward hits, and although it lags a bit towards the end with the seventh and eighth track, "The Higher Flight" once again picks up the pace, although the second half of the album is nowhere near as strong as the first, which contains some of the band's best moments in their career. Break The Silence ends with three bonus songs. One of them is the aforementioned Running Wild cover; the other two are splendid - especially the band's first epic, "A Storm To Come". Although some parts of it don't work as well as the others, it makes for an awesome closer and a fine first take on longer tunes.

Break The Silence contains a couple of songs in which a guitar or piano is added to "enhance" the feel, and although that's one of the rare things that bother me on Van Canto albums, there are a lot of people who wish to hear more of their work accompanied by instruments, so I probably shouldn't complain about them not catering to my own personal taste.

Overall, if the covers could have been picked more carefully, the usage of instruments avoided (save the drums of course) and the tracks arranged differently, the final product could have been even more dynamic and enjoyable. But all those complaints become trivial when in front of us is an album filled with such jovial - as well as cheesy, but very lighthearted - and empowering tunes.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 9
Production: 9

Written on 01.12.2011 by A part of the team since December 2011. 7.0 means the album is good.

Comments page 2 / 2

Comments: 49   Visited by: 243 users
03.12.2011 - 09:40
Rating: 7
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Troy Killjoy on 03.12.2011 at 09:28

I think the latter receives more hate because it's bringing the cheese factor of an already cheesy genre even higher, whereas AA bring a cheese factor to a genre that doesn't even know how to spell cheese unless zombies are eating it with their human snack as an appetizer.

That was my point, except I think the rate of people who will hate a band simply for being power metal is higher. You're probably not the person to talk about this... but I DO need to hear some power metal from time to time, and I can never seem to get as much recommendations as for other metal genres because of metalheads' collective hatred towards it. The "true" power metal fans aren't a good place to ask, I've listened to all the Stratovarius, Blind Guardian and Hammerfall they swear by, but found no appeal in it. I do feel that if a good power metal band showed up again, it would completely pass by my radar.
----
7.0 means the album is good
03.12.2011 - 14:01
RockeRoy

Written by X-Ray Rod on 03.12.2011 at 02:22

Written by RockeRoy on 03.12.2011 at 02:15
I agree with you that there is exceptions.....

You missed the point of my comment. Where composition is just as much of a factor as instruments. But whatever.
You reasons to say that the band "poisons" metal in general are just your own subjective views without anything to back them up so yeah.... Not really an argument there. Nothing more to say from my part, as I have zero need of commenting here.

Diddn't miss it, you said it yourself when you say composition is just as much a factor as instruments.. thats two factors, if you leave one out it's not Metal.
I always know it is my subjective view, just as beliving it does not poisons metal is your subjective view. So what i wonder is are you a big fan of van canto, do you listen a lot of a cappela power metal? whats so cool with metal without guitars?
Seemed like you had a little more than zero need to comment a couple of postes ago..
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
03.12.2011 - 14:05
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by RockeRoy on 03.12.2011 at 14:01

Seemed like you had a little more than zero need to comment a couple of postes ago..

Yeah, arguing with you is pretty useless. My bad.
To me: compostion > instrument.
You seem to think otherwise. I'll agree to disagree. If you ask "what's so cool with metal without guitars then I can only assume this shitty band is the only thing you've heard of that. So yeah, discussing with you was an error, I'm sorry.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
03.12.2011 - 14:10
RockeRoy

Written by Troy Killjoy on 03.12.2011 at 02:31

Written by RockeRoy on 03.12.2011 at 02:15
tl;dr

Basically you think one gimmick is bad because it's a power metal band but another gimmick is good because it's a death metal band.

Airtight logic.

you miss the point, hadn't been a problem if was a power metal gimmick, but it's not. it is a deadly seriouse a capella groupe
----

Walk with me in hell
03.12.2011 - 14:14
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Could be worse... It could be a deathcore a capella band.
OR(!) a Lulu a capella interpetation.
----
Rod, let me love you.
03.12.2011 - 14:20
RockeRoy

Written by X-Ray Rod on 03.12.2011 at 14:05

Yeah, arguing with you is pretty useless. My bad.
To me: compostion > instrument.
You seem to think otherwise. I'll agree to disagree. If you ask "what's so cool with metal without guitars then I can only assume this shitty band is the only thing you've heard of that. So yeah, discussing with you was an error, I'm sorry.

Man are you that far out? do you isten to yourself you havent answerd one question i've asked, thats a part of a discussion, and when you do not contribute to the discussion, it's arguing with you that is pointless. I've argued pretty clear for my case when you asked, why you only bash me with this; discussing with you was an error and oh im so sorry. my bad etc- etc thats your answer to everything.
Anyway

Last you hear from me
----

Walk with me in hell
03.12.2011 - 14:51
Milena
gloom cookie
You two have a communication breakdown, definitely
----
03.12.2011 - 15:05
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
I didn't answer to your questions because I found them irrelevant to the previous discussion (specially the first question I mean... I think I make it clear with my first couple of post that I didn't like this shit) but there you go:

So what i wonder is are you a big fan of van canto?
do you listen a lot of a cappela power metal?
whats so cool with metal without guitars?

- No.
- No. I dislike pretty much all Power Mtal with one or two exceptions for mostly nostalgic reasons.
- Don't understand the question, there's nothing cool or not cool about it. It's just a different kind of band playing metal. That's all there is to it.

Written by Milena on 03.12.2011 at 14:51

You two have a communication breakdown, definitely

When you love someone, sometimes you have to let them go... If they return, you know he was truly yours.
----
Rod, let me love you.
03.12.2011 - 22:22
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
So what i wonder is are you a big fan of van canto, do you listen a lot of a cappela power metal? whats so cool with metal without guitars?

Van Canto is probably in my top 3 favorite bands to be honest. I think their unique blend of a capella and power metal sets them apart from the rest of the scene. What makes them so cool even though they don't have guitars is the fact that they SING the riffs! That's just unbelievable. If someone like you can't understand how beneficial a band like Van Canto is to the realm of metal then sadly I don't think you have a right to comment on what's poison and what's a cure.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
03.12.2011 - 22:39
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Troy Killjoy on 03.12.2011 at 22:22

Van Canto is probably in my top 3 favorite bands to be honest....

----
Rod, let me love you.
03.12.2011 - 22:40
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by X-Ray Rod on 03.12.2011 at 22:39
meme

I also love deathcore.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
03.12.2011 - 22:48
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Troy Killjoy on 03.12.2011 at 22:40
I also love deathcore.

Heheheh well, you were pretty convincing up there.
Also... you said you liked the latest CC you wrote about so it's not completely false.
----
Rod, let me love you.
07.12.2011 - 04:40
Promonex
Cathemeral
Interesting discussion. I've got quite a few thoughts about Van Canto and their position within the heavy metal scene myself. And I've seen them live two months ago. It's been quite a noteworthy gig, maybe I'll write a report about it just to keep this whole discussion going

As for the review: I agree with everything said, but would've still rated the album 2 points lower. The review is spot on and I like how it doesn't explicitly mention the absence of strings, takes Van Canto's approach for granted instead and evaluates the songs by their quality, not by their "gimmickness".
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
07.12.2011 - 09:25
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Promonex on 07.12.2011 at 04:40

As for the review: I agree with everything said, but would've still rated the album 2 points lower. The review is spot on and I like how it doesn't explicitly mention the absence of strings, takes Van Canto's approach for granted instead and evaluates the songs by their quality, not by their "gimmickness".

I mentioned the lack of strings in my guest reviews a while back, just so that people don't get confused when they play songs on youtube. Thanks man, I appreciate it.

Wish a fan or two could have stopped by to this thread so that we can have a more even set of opinions, but you dudes scared 'em off. We Van Canto fans are gentle little things
----
07.12.2011 - 15:41
The Norseman

Always the same "bla bla bla" about bands and styles preferences.

Well, moving along the trolling, I just wanted to say that this was the 2nd album Van Canto I listen (1st was their debut) to and I must say it's really a blow of fresh air from all same vibes we listen in other bands.

I actually loved the "Primo Victoria" song, probably my favorite right now and I never listened to Sabaton.

Hate it or Love it but Van Canto is an original band, a bright star in an ocean where bands repeat the same formulas over an over.

Curious fact: When I first listen to "Master of the Wind" I immediately thought about Manowar, but, I didn't knew it was a Manowar song. I think it's a fun fact because it shows that they successfully captured the song essence.
07.12.2011 - 15:45
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by The Norseman on 07.12.2011 at 15:41

Hate it or Love it but Van Canto is an original band, a bright star in an ocean where bands repeat the same formulas over an over.

Curious fact: When I first listen to "Master of the Wind" I immediately thought about Manowar, but, I didn't knew it was a Manowar song. I think it's a fun fact because it shows that they successfully captured the song essence.

They aren't really refreshing in style, it's basic power metal, but I think their attempt at making a twist on the original way metal is played is something that shouldn't be bashed, it should be praised.
And my experience with that song was the same!
----
07.12.2011 - 15:55
The Norseman

Written by Milena on 07.12.2011 at 15:45

They aren't really refreshing in style, it's basic power metal, but I think their attempt at making a twist on the original way metal is played is something that shouldn't be bashed, it should be praised.

Well, yeah, it's still power metal but they didn't limited themselves to the known formulas. You know it's a Sonata Arctica song when you listen to it, the same way you know it's a Kamelot song when you listen to it, like Eluveitie with their hurdy gurdy, you don't need to know whos song is it to identity it. This is what makes bands great, when they manage to create their own unique sounds within a certain style or group of styles and Van Canto did this by using unique instruments, if someone would talk about this idea before Van Canto, people would laught at it (edit: actually, people still laught at it -.-').

You can hate it or love it, but they are unique.

Now, it's true we can't give them much credit about songwriting because they use mostly covers (for my knowledge) but still, unique.
07.12.2011 - 15:57
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by The Norseman on 07.12.2011 at 15:55

Well, yeah, it's still power metal but they didn't limited themselves to the known formulas. You know it's a Sonata Arctica song when you listen to it, the same way you know it's a Kamelot song when you listen to it, like Eluveitie with their hurdy gurdy, you don't need to know whos song is it to identity it. This is what makes bands great, when they manage to create their own unique sounds within a certain style or group of styles and Van Canto did this by using unique instruments, if someone would talk about this idea before Van Canto, people would laught at it.

You can hate it or love it, but they are unique.

Now, it's true we can't give them much credit about songwriting because they use mostly covers (for my knowledge) but still, unique.

Actually, there's only one third of covers, and I prefer their original work And I do love them, as you may see by the ratings Rakkatakka on!
----
08.12.2011 - 04:16
Slinky666
Account deleted
I love how the resurrect the medieval sound.

Hits total: 7815 | This month: 7