05. Convergence
06. Sirens
07. Isle Of Solace
08. The Drowning Sun
09. Voyage Of A Wavering Mind

Guest review by
R'Vannith
Rating:
When it comes to metal if there is one thing I appreciate it's when a band manages to not only fit their music to an idea or a point of focus but make it a bloody enjoyable listen in doing so. Everything from the exceptionally well executed oceanic theme of In Mourning's latest release to the album's title, which matches not only this theme but lets you know exactly what kind of experience you're in for, and displays a clear sense of direction and understanding for where the band want to take their sound.

Read more ››
published 30.07.2012 | Comments (11)

Found in 51 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 58   Visited by: 1346 users
03.12.2011 - 00:08
Rating: 10
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Do I seriously have to wait a year? Fml.
09.03.2012 - 05:26
Rating: 9
SMAX

SO FUCKING CITED FOR THIS ALBUM
10.03.2012 - 05:07
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
Oh shit! Bet It"ll be good. Shrouded Divine is still the best.
----
Coldgrits
11.04.2012 - 16:21
Rating: 7
Risto
Wandering Midget
The first listen was disappointing, hope it gets better with more spins...
12.04.2012 - 04:33
Rating: 4
scaesura

Listened to it.

Pretty just... insipid. Just kinda there. Some good moments, some bad moments but nothing really happens. At all. Thusly, I didnt like it. Then again I havent listened to this band in years so I'm not surprised.
12.04.2012 - 17:21
Massive album, their best
13.04.2012 - 14:53
hexmoth

From the very first time I listened to their first album i could guess they would be grown fast and would be a great prog band in the world.
As I see they kept their rhythm on melodies and really professional to shift the pitch.
and now, I am sure I have really thought about them correctly
13.04.2012 - 16:03
Rating: 8
Akbarz

Quite different from their previous works I'd say, more progressive than death, nice atmosphere, nice vocals (liked the clean vocals), all in all It is absolutely a worthwhile album.
----
Like a slow scenery
I'm losing all my faith
In a lifeless motion
13.04.2012 - 21:23
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Interesting to hear so many negative reactions so far. I remember that in previous albums not many people cared about them. It just goes to show they have grown in terms of their reach.

About the album, I can't say yet
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
14.04.2012 - 03:49
Vikingr

I thought it was pretty kick ass, maybe not so good as Shrouded Divine but I'd say better than Monolith
14.04.2012 - 14:07
Reaper_Redeemer

I ve listened to this album many times these days and even if in the beginning i was disappointed, finally i realized this is a great album. Especially Colossus and Convergence are some of their best tracks! They did it again :-)
14.04.2012 - 14:18
Nefarious
Doom Knight
I'm also surprised by the amount if negativity this release seems to be getting. The album is a grower, it gets better with every listen.
----
"FUCK!!! You're the fucking 5th person asking me in an interview about the woman in the bathtub?The problem is that I AM the fucking person in the bathtub, and I AM a fucking MAN, for fuck's sake! I hate you all!" ~ Herr Morbid
15.04.2012 - 14:11
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Yeah, sucks to be you, I love it so far!
15.04.2012 - 14:55
Fredd
Account deleted
Pretty good, but nothing groundbreaking.

Overhyped though... If Cormorant had gotten got half the hype, their two albums would have hit top 200 by now.
16.04.2012 - 06:40
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
Nothing new, but it is general, pretty dang good. In Mourning are still definitely themselves, and can still make above average Melodic Death Metal.
----
Coldgrits
16.04.2012 - 12:42
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by Nefarious on 14.04.2012 at 14:18

The album is a grower, it gets better with every listen.

For me an album needs to pick up enough within the first three spins or so if it's gonna go anywhere. This doesn't, and it's a pretty damn shame. There was some growth beyond Colossus but they just threw away a lot of elements that makes me enjoy the first two albums in the first place.
16.04.2012 - 12:56
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Risto on 16.04.2012 at 12:42

...threw away a lot of elements that makes me enjoy the first two albums in the first place.

Then I'll probably dig it, since I didn't dig the first two this band is fuckin' polarizing, they should be proud of themselves
----
7.0 means the album is good
16.04.2012 - 13:05
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by Milena on 16.04.2012 at 12:56

Then I'll probably dig it, since I didn't dig the first two this band is fuckin' polarizing, they should be proud of themselves

I could say they tried to keep things simple yet expansive in an epic and doomy sort of way but they just couldn't make much memorable stuff out of it. Tobias Netzell's use of vocal styles is still as varied as before, but there's a lack of those soothing melodies this band did so well before.
16.04.2012 - 20:38
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by Milena on 16.04.2012 at 12:56

Written by Risto on 16.04.2012 at 12:42

...threw away a lot of elements that makes me enjoy the first two albums in the first place.

You didn't? That is not good for the Prog Babe Alliance
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
16.04.2012 - 20:57
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by BloodTears on 16.04.2012 at 20:38

You didn't? That is not good for the Prog Babe Alliance

I KNOW I have no idea why don't I like it, it sounds like a mixture of everything I normally like... and yet I don't like it. Beats me.
----
7.0 means the album is good
16.04.2012 - 21:53
Fritillaria
Account deleted
I found about this band here on MS, they turned out one of my favs
17.04.2012 - 17:28
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by Guest on 15.04.2012 at 14:55

Pretty good, but nothing groundbreaking.

Overhyped though... If Cormorant had gotten got half the hype, their two albums would have hit top 200 by now.

I agree, Cormorant are the better band but their's is quite a different take on the Progressive Melodeath thing I think. These guys are a bit more direct in that respect, not drawing in so many varied elements like Cormorant does.

This album is a very very good one I think, perhaps on a par with Monolith despite the differences between the two.
17.04.2012 - 18:37
Fredd
Account deleted
Written by R'Vannith on 17.04.2012 at 17:28

I agree, Cormorant are the better band but their's is quite a different take on the Progressive Melodeath thing I think. These guys are a bit more direct in that respect, not drawing in so many varied elements like Cormorant does.

This album is a very very good one I think, perhaps on a par with Monolith despite the differences between the two.

I like this one more than thier debut, actually. Havent listened to monolith yet.
18.04.2012 - 10:45
Mikyz

This album should be more appealing for Progressive Metal puritans. It's not as melodic as the other two, it's still very much melodic mind you but just not as much. It has a more logical and mature sense of buildup. Though it lacks some kind of culminating point. It's certainly more beautiful than the other two but it wasn't the dick slap in the face the others were. Cormorant's last album is the better one, but not by a wide margin. They should have skimped on a few overly proggy instances, it sounds as if they're trying too hard to be proggy at times. An awesome album nonetheless.

Though Colossus is surely one of their best songs.
----
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
18.04.2012 - 19:40
Chobo_jokeR

Solid album, it just went on far too long.
18.04.2012 - 20:10
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Actually I lied...its one of those albums which go by without notice. The first listen was ok but its so hard to pay attention to it, you really have to try hard to notice it because its so boring. Pity, "Monolith" was so good. The trend this year continues - good bands bringing out sub par albums.
19.04.2012 - 01:27
Therapy?

Unfortunately I find this album less impressive than their previous two. I've had this album spinning on repeat the whole day and there were very few (if at all) noteworthy moments that really impressed me. The whole album just sounds like it's gradually going to some epic climax at some point and you keep waiting for it... and waiting for it... and then the album ends and I'm like "da fuq?"

BUT... it is not a bad album. It is a nice listen. It's just lacking the punch that made me love many refrains from their previous albums.

I would give this a 6,5 but since it's only round numbers I'll make it a 6. I know a .5 should usually be rounded upwards, but this album does not deserve the full 7 imo compared to what this band is capable of.

I will listen to it a couple of more times though. It might grow on me. But so far I think this is the mark they deserve.
19.04.2012 - 20:37
sabotender

Just the fact that people are talking about In Mourning means that they're getting the recognition they deserve. Even if this album isn't mind blowing, I have proof enough with their first three releases that they will release an amazing album within the next 5 years.

And Isle of Solace is one of the best songs I've ever heard from them. Fucking devastating.
----
Death is but the Beginning.
19.04.2012 - 20:50
Rating: 10
lord artan

I love this album
20.04.2012 - 11:48
.:Nataras:.
.:Saratan:.
Just Boring! there is good atmosphere totaly! but it's not a memorable stuff! it's more prog than death! i played the album 2 times, now i have no interesting to listen to it...
maybe it's a good choice for melodic Progressive Post rock with death elements lovers...
----
.:Saratan:.

Hits total: 25962 | This month: 25