Bandcamp music player
Reviewer:

12 users:
Band: John Haughm
Album: +46 17' 36​.​30", -124 4' 20​.​13"
Style: Ambient noise, Post-rock
Release date: September 2011

01. + 46 17' 36​.​30", -124 4' 20​.​13"

Agalloch front man John Haughm has gone rogue.

Back in September he released this single, +46 17' 36​.​30", -124 4' 20​.​13", via Anthem Records - which can be streamed and purchased here exclusively.

Being only five-and-a-half minutes in length, it's incredibly difficult to describe what's going on, especially considering how minimalistic a song it is. It's an experimental/ambient style that reflects a natural phenomenon (as depicted in the mesmerizing cover art) with an element of spirituality, something not uncommon in an Agalloch album. Being a spiritually-charged release, you're bound to get a spiritually-charged review. Here she goes.

+46 17' 36​.​30", -124 4' 20​.​13" is a sonic escape into another world - one of colorful hallucinations, rich textures, somber skies, endless meadows... a world filled with the light and beauty utterly lacking in the day-to-day grind we've all become slaves to. This song is a statement, something to capture the essence of man's struggle to co-exist with something that predates our very existence: nature. The simplicity demands your attention and buries the question deep within your sub-conscience: What is our purpose?

Musically, there are some interesting artistic effects going on here, reminiscent of Alan Parsons' A Valid Path with its combination of electronic and pop music, that build a euphoric atmosphere for the listener to bathe in and totally lose themselves to reality. You can almost feel the branches on the trees reaching towards the sun in the sky as the simple melody drenches your soul with redemption and knowledge. You begin to understand the logic behind the co-existence. All questions become answers.

John Haughm has certainly proven he knows more than just screams and growls with his work in Agalloch. This solo effort only serves to portray yet another dimension of his mind. And if you let it, this simple five-minute single can add yet another dimension to yours.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 9

Written on 05.12.2011 by I'm total pro; that's what I'm here for.

Comments page 2 / 3

Comments: 78   Visited by: 329 users
05.12.2011 - 13:44
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by Guest on 05.12.2011 at 13:18

Not in the slightest. You're thinking in a very Metal-centric manner. Don't assume this is exclusively marketed at such an audience. Tangerine Dream, Emeralds and Burning Star Core, and probably some of the others, are well established names in their fields. Just because someone lives on a diet of a few tropes of metal styles doesn't instantly vilify alien-sounding artists as fodder for "coolness". It's not his fault if he's writing about stuff you've never heard of. To him they may be day-to-day thoughts and occurrences like "x-prog metal band" might be to you.

I was more thinking about the manner of writing, as in screaming "I'm in a niche, I'm in a niche!", because you can't deny that, even if those are very familiar names in their fields, it still is a reasonably small field. It sends a message of "this is not for you, get off my playground." Though, this is all coming from a girl who imagines words as little people with all kinds of features, moving along their merry ways and arguing, so I might be slightly out of line

Not that I'm against this, I think it's a wonderful idea. It's very amusing to think that, while we argue about the finesses of metal genres and the prowess of certain artists on this and similar forums, there are people out there who couldn't tell doom metal apart from death metal, metalhead from a goth and who'd be quite baffled to be present at even one metal gig or metalheads' gathering. It only occurred to me in the past few months that there is a myriad of other genres completely out the "mainstream's" grasp as well. Maybe we should all have some tea and rock out together, so a metal artist doing a piece of experimental music certainly gets kudos from me.
----
7.0 means the album is good
05.12.2011 - 13:49
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
Actually, way more people know about Tangerine Dream (a completely legendary band that had an impact on more genres than I can name) than most black metal bands. Ambient music is nothing new and its also nothing new for metal musicians to tackle this style.
05.12.2011 - 13:54
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by jupitreas on 05.12.2011 at 13:49

Actually, way more people know about Tangerine Dream (a completely legendary band that had an impact on more genres than I can name) than most black metal bands. Ambient music is nothing new and its also nothing new for metal musicians to tackle this style.

Yeah, they're the only band out of this bunch I've heard of, so I guess that's the case with a lot of people. And mind you, although it's "nothing new" to people who follow the underground circles, there's quite a few metalheads and other alternative music lovers who still haven't heard the impact on this genre on their most beloved type of music. I still haven't figured out where is the line that separates "music with ambiance" and purely ambient music.
----
7.0 means the album is good
05.12.2011 - 13:57
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
Written by jupitreas on 05.12.2011 at 13:49

Yes, I don't know many black metal bands that have done music for Tom Cruise films.
05.12.2011 - 19:07
Rating: 7
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Pretty sweet stuff though, I almost wanted to buy it but meh, it's vinyl so I would buy it and couldn't play it

Edit: Fuck it, the artwork is cute so I'm going to buy it. It's cheap.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
05.12.2011 - 19:45
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by X-Ray Rod on 05.12.2011 at 19:07

Happy to hear you caved.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
05.12.2011 - 19:53
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Troy Killjoy on 05.12.2011 at 19:45

Written by X-Ray Rod on 05.12.2011 at 19:07

Happy to hear you caved.

Yeah, when I read the part that said "when you buy the vinyl you get a download link" all my doubts went away.
Now just hoping my copy will arrive fine. I'm quite the pessimistic fuck so I just can't wait to get it.
----
Rod, let me love you.
05.12.2011 - 19:54
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by X-Ray Rod on 05.12.2011 at 19:53
I'm quite the pessimistic fuck so I just can't wait to get it.

Did you read the description of what's inside? It looks like a really sweet package when all's said and done, especially for such a low price. For a hand-numbered limited edition solo single from John Haughm. It doesn't get much better than that.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
05.12.2011 - 20:32
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Troy Killjoy on 05.12.2011 at 19:54
Did you read the description of what's inside? It looks like a really sweet package when all's said and done, especially for such a low price. For a hand-numbered limited edition solo single from John Haughm. It doesn't get much better than that.

It's pretty nice for the price although I can't stop laughing at the fact that it costs me more the shipping than the single itself.
----
Rod, let me love you.
05.12.2011 - 20:36
Slayer666
A 300 word review for 5 minutes of music. Well done, Troy, you've outdone yourself.
05.12.2011 - 20:38
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Slayer666 on 05.12.2011 at 20:36
A 300 word review for 5 minutes of music. Well done, Troy, you've outdone yourself.

Thanks! I was honestly surprised at how much I was able to write about one 5-minute song. I guess it practically wrote itself.
----
06.12.2011 - 00:34
Now, let's get a grip. It's pretty decent, but it's something we already heard in the '70s... (yes, I'm old), so, I don't really see the point of it. Or, yes, he is entitled to revisit some old crap, but just don't get your violins out...
06.12.2011 - 00:43
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Merchant of Doom on 06.12.2011 at 00:34
Now, let's get a grip.

So much for not commenting. >>

I don't think anyone needs to get a grip to be honest. It's a very good single from a musician who has obviously stepped out of what he's renowned for. My rating isn't too high (at least I don't think it is) and the majority of people here think of it as a beautiful song. It's not like this is receiving the same kind of attention Wintersun did with their debut.
----
06.12.2011 - 10:10
Yes, I wasn't going to comment, but I just can't believe that such a derivative piece of music is getting so much praise. Yes, it's a good "song", 35 years too late. Now, Mr Haughm can revisit all he likes, stepping out of his usual boundaries, but it's still something pretty boring, unless you like to be hypnotized.
06.12.2011 - 10:16
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Merchant of Doom on 06.12.2011 at 10:10
...but it's still something pretty boring, unless you like to be hypnotized.

Ignoring the word song in quotes... I'd say it looks like a lot of people enjoy being hypnotized then.
----
06.12.2011 - 10:17
Saeed_p
Cant believe that! it was the biggest surprise for me to see this topic!
and also its great!
06.12.2011 - 10:18
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Saeed_p on 06.12.2011 at 10:17
Cant believe that! it was the biggest surprise for me to see this topic!
and also its great!

I was surprised when I received the review request in my inbox.

I was like... John Haughm? Solo project? Ambient music? Color me excited.
----
06.12.2011 - 10:29
Saeed_p

so screwy! i think someone who pm you to write a request knew that you know you'r stuff !
+1
its seems just an ambient music. i hope the rest of tracks be a more metal than this.:)
06.12.2011 - 10:31
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Saeed_p on 06.12.2011 at 10:29
so screwy! i think someone who pm you to write a request knew that you know you'r stuff !
its seems just an ambient music. i hope the rest of tracks be a more metal than this.:)

Well it's nice to feel like you've got some knowledge sometimes.

As for releasing metal material, I highly doubt he'll be doing that with his solo project. He's already got Agalloch to vent his metal creativity; I think this is designed to help him release some more of his artistic thoughts that wouldn't be suitable for the sound of Agalloch.
----
06.12.2011 - 10:39
Saeed_p
Maybe you're right. and this genre is going to be awesome ; but we know many artist and band that performs this kind of music! (ex: Voidwork) i expected more than this from haughm even in this particular genre ( that is so sensitive to peform in its best way)
sorry for my bad english, english is not my native (original) language.
06.12.2011 - 11:45
koob
Where can I listen to this ? can't find any place.
06.12.2011 - 12:17
Written by koob on 06.12.2011 at 11:45

here...

http://anthemrecords.bandcamp.com/

the link was in the review... not very visible, though...
06.12.2011 - 13:06
koob
Written by Merchant of Doom on 06.12.2011 at 12:17

here...

Ok i'm embarassed
06.12.2011 - 14:04
Written by koob on 06.12.2011 at 13:06

Written by Merchant of Doom on 06.12.2011 at 12:17

here...

Ok i'm embarassed

yes, maybe you should change your user name to knoob... only joking...
06.12.2011 - 18:59
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Saeed_p on 06.12.2011 at 10:39
i expected more than this from haughm even in this particular genre

Oh I'm sure he'll have something more to contribute soon. Don't forget, this is only a single - one five-minute song. If he releases a full-length I'm positive there will be more experimentation.
----
06.12.2011 - 19:09
Written by Troy Killjoy on 06.12.2011 at 18:59

If he releases a full-length I'm positive there will be more experimentation.

Hopefully of the right type...
06.12.2011 - 20:11
Rating: 8
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
It was fun reading all the comments and seeing so many of you boys getting all weepy about this music And of course anything that inspires Troy to write such beautiful descriptions is worth hearing. I love Agalloch, of course, but even if I didn't I'd be totally hooked just from reading this review.

I think it goes without saying, I just ordered my copy.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
07.12.2011 - 00:30
Dechef
Well, well! Thank you for this link, I didn't even find the piece itself all that fantastic. But I do love this TYPE of music and so I checked out a few of the names mentioned in the link, that are supposed to be similar, like Tangerine Dream, and I think I'm falling in love with them somewhere around... now.
07.12.2011 - 00:33
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Dechef on 07.12.2011 at 00:30
Well, well! Thank you for this link, I didn't even find the piece itself all that fantastic. But I do love this TYPE of music and so I checked out a few of the names mentioned in the link, that are supposed to be similar, like Tangerine Dream, and I think I'm falling in love with them somewhere around... now.

I'm sure John Haughm is satisfied with helping people open their minds to different forms of music.
----
07.12.2011 - 00:38
LordFezzington
Lost To Apathy
Having been on a bit of a spending spree recently, I was only too pleased to make this purchase. Limited to 500 copies? What possible reason is there not to buy it?!

Thanks for the heads up Troy!
----
"Pay no heed to anyone and do what seems right to yourself." - Franz Kafka, The Trial
2022 List: https://metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=7001
2021 List: https://metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=6742

Hits total: 8632 | This month: 23