Bandcamp music player
Reviewer:

12 users:
Band: John Haughm
Album: +46 17' 36​.​30", -124 4' 20​.​13"
Style: Ambient noise, Post-rock
Release date: September 2011

01. + 46 17' 36​.​30", -124 4' 20​.​13"

Agalloch front man John Haughm has gone rogue.

Back in September he released this single, +46 17' 36​.​30", -124 4' 20​.​13", via Anthem Records - which can be streamed and purchased here exclusively.

Being only five-and-a-half minutes in length, it's incredibly difficult to describe what's going on, especially considering how minimalistic a song it is. It's an experimental/ambient style that reflects a natural phenomenon (as depicted in the mesmerizing cover art) with an element of spirituality, something not uncommon in an Agalloch album. Being a spiritually-charged release, you're bound to get a spiritually-charged review. Here she goes.

+46 17' 36​.​30", -124 4' 20​.​13" is a sonic escape into another world - one of colorful hallucinations, rich textures, somber skies, endless meadows... a world filled with the light and beauty utterly lacking in the day-to-day grind we've all become slaves to. This song is a statement, something to capture the essence of man's struggle to co-exist with something that predates our very existence: nature. The simplicity demands your attention and buries the question deep within your sub-conscience: What is our purpose?

Musically, there are some interesting artistic effects going on here, reminiscent of Alan Parsons' A Valid Path with its combination of electronic and pop music, that build a euphoric atmosphere for the listener to bathe in and totally lose themselves to reality. You can almost feel the branches on the trees reaching towards the sun in the sky as the simple melody drenches your soul with redemption and knowledge. You begin to understand the logic behind the co-existence. All questions become answers.

John Haughm has certainly proven he knows more than just screams and growls with his work in Agalloch. This solo effort only serves to portray yet another dimension of his mind. And if you let it, this simple five-minute single can add yet another dimension to yours.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 9

Written on 05.12.2011 by I'm total pro; that's what I'm here for.

Comments page 3 / 3

Comments: 78   Visited by: 329 users
07.12.2011 - 00:40
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by LordFezzington on 07.12.2011 at 00:38
Thanks for the heads up Troy!

My pleasure.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
07.12.2011 - 07:40
Rating: 6
Promonex
Cathemeral
elite
I'm kinda with MoD. The song doesn't come across as particularly special or original to me. But it does remind me to revisit Tangerine Dream again. When I first stepped into early electronica and krautrock, my mind got literally blown. It's like post-punk 10 years before the emergence of post-punk and post-rock 20 years before the emergence of post-rock.

John Haughm solo is still more enjoyable than Jason William Walton solo.
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
07.12.2011 - 08:13
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Promonex on 07.12.2011 at 07:40
John Haughm solo is still more enjoyable than Jason William Walton solo.

Ew. Very much agreed.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
07.12.2011 - 20:41
Edmund Fogg
Really well written review. Since it's just a single, I don't really see the point of rating it, but that's just me. good job.
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
07.12.2011 - 20:43
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Edmund Fogg on 07.12.2011 at 20:41
Really well written review. Since it's just a single, I don't really see the point of rating it, but that's just me. good job.

Thanks! I was going to leave it unrated but then I thought of it as an individual song on iTunes or whatever with the * ratings and thought... this is like a 4/5.
----
12.12.2011 - 07:14
metaleaterr
abstract_bliss
Superb song and awesome review as well. Artistic review for an artistic effort. Will be in my collection of best avant-garde/spiritual/ambient/experimental albums. This kind of music really needs to get more fanbase and promotion. Great job Troy!
15.12.2011 - 21:31
Rating: 7
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
I got the single today. Pretty sweet cover tbh... The most beautiful thing is that the artwork is an image of the chilean coast near the juan fernandez islands. it was a nice surprise when I read it on the back of the packaging.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
15.12.2011 - 21:33
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by X-Ray Rod on 15.12.2011 at 21:31
I got the single today. Pretty sweet cover tbh... The most beautiful thing is that the artwork is an image of the chilean coast near the juan fernandez islands. it was a nice surprise when I read it on the back of the packaging.

I was told there's an explanation as to what exactly the cover art depicts. Any word on that?
----
15.12.2011 - 21:35
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Troy Killjoy on 15.12.2011 at 21:33

Written by X-Ray Rod on 15.12.2011 at 21:31

I was told there's an explanation as to what exactly the cover art depicts. Any word on that?

You want me to write off the entire text, don't you?
----
Rod, let me love you.
15.12.2011 - 21:39
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by X-Ray Rod on 15.12.2011 at 21:35
You want me to write off the entire text, don't you?

That would be nice, unless you can give a good tl;dr version.
----
15.12.2011 - 22:09
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Troy Killjoy on 15.12.2011 at 21:39
That would be nice, unless you can give a good tl;dr version.

You caught me in a humor mood... and I'm bored. it was really relaxing to write off all this stuff while listening to the single over and over again tbh...

Quote:

Large-scale fractal motion of clouds.
NASA image acquired September 15,1999

This Landsat 7 image of clouds off the Chilean coast near the Juan Fernandez islands (also known as the Robison Crusoe Islands) on September 15, 199, shows a unique pattern called a "von Karman vortex street". This pattern has long been studied in the laboratory, where the vortices are created by oil flowing past a cylindrical obstacle, making a string of vortices only several tens of centimeters long. Study of this classic "flow past a circular cylinder" has been very important in the understanding of laminar and turbulent fluid flow that controls a wide variety of phenomena, from the lift under an aircraft wing to Earth's weather.

Here, the cylinder is replaced by Alejandro Selkirk Island (named after the true "Robinson Crusoe", who was stranded here for many months in the early 1700s). The island is about 1,5 km in diameter, and rises 1,6 km into a layer of marine stratocumulus clouds. This type of cloud is important for its strong cooling of the Earth's surface, partially counteracting the Greenhouse warming. An extended, steady equatoward wind creates vortices with clockwise flow off the eastern edge and counterclockwise flow off the western edge of the island.
The vortices grow as they advect hundreds of kilometers downwind, making a street 10,000 times longer than those made in the laboratory. Observing the same phenomenon extended over such a wide range of sizes dramatizes the "fractal" nature of atmospheric convection and clouds. Fractals are characteristic of fluid flow and other dynamic systems that exhibit "chaotic" motions.

Both clockwise and counter-clockwise vortices are generated by flow around the island. As the flow separates from the island's leeward (away from the source of the wind) side, the vortices "swallow" some of the clear air over the island. (Much of the island air is cloudless due to a local "land breeze" circulation set up by the larger heat capacity of the waters surrounding the island).
The "swallowed" gulps of clear island air get carried along within the vortices, but these are soon mixed into the surrounding clouds.

Landsat is unique in its ability to image both the small-scale eddies that mix clear and cloudy air, down to the 30 meter pixel size of Landsat, but also having a wide enough field-of-view, 180 km, to reveal the connection of the turbulence to large-scale flows such as the subtropical oceanic gyres. Landsat 7, with its new onboard digital recorder, has extended this capability away from the few Landsat ground stations to remote areas such as Alejandro Island, and thus is gradually providing a global dynamic picture of evolving human-scale phenomena.

Image and caption courtesy Bob Cahalan, NASA GSF
Instrument: Landsat 7 - ETM+
Credit: NASA/GSFC/Landsat

John Haughm
+46° 17' 36.30", -124° 4' 20.13"
Fender Deluxe Reverb / Travis Bean 1000S / Nova Delay / Loop Station / Mac Book Pro.

BTW: That wiki article works fine too. Those vortices seem to help some insect to fly faster than usual acording to the wiki articl, interesting stuff. Also, in case it wasn't obvious: Landsat is a satellite.
Oh... I deserve lots of internets for this.
----
Rod, let me love you.
16.12.2011 - 05:55
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by X-Ray Rod on 15.12.2011 at 22:09

That's amazing. The Wiki article helped explain it in a more concise manner so I understand it better now... I didn't realize it was such a special occurrence.
----
16.12.2011 - 16:23
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Troy Killjoy on 16.12.2011 at 05:55

Written by X-Ray Rod on 15.12.2011 at 22:09

That's amazing. The Wiki article helped explain it in a more concise manner so I understand it better now... I didn't realize it was such a special occurrence.

Yeah, I honestly had to read the wiki article first and then read the one on the vinyl.
----
Rod, let me love you.
18.12.2011 - 20:25
xXIronDethXx
Anyone else actually look up the coordinates? It points at Ft Canby Park Rd on the border of Oregon & Washington....I bet it's where the bodies are lol
18.12.2011 - 23:53
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by xXIronDethXx on 18.12.2011 at 20:25
It points at Ft Canby Park Rd on the border of Oregon & Washington.

Good to know. I bet that's one of the places Haughm goes to unwind or gather inspiration for his music.
----
19.12.2011 - 07:48
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Troy Killjoy on 18.12.2011 at 23:53

Written by xXIronDethXx on 18.12.2011 at 20:25
It points at Ft Canby Park Rd on the border of Oregon & Washington.

Good to know. I bet that's one of the places Haughm goes to unwind or gather inspiration for his music.

Or fap at night.
----
Rod, let me love you.
07.11.2020 - 22:27
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
staff
I can only dream of having 70+ comments on my review that aren't that one time Maniac Blasphemer tried to argue that women are privileged.
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
07.11.2020 - 23:50
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by RaduP on 07.11.2020 at 22:27

I can only dream of having 70+ comments on my review that aren't that one time Maniac Blasphemer tried to argue that women are privileged.

They were simpler times, but not quite the golden era as Bad English would say 🤷‍♂️
----

Hits total: 8627 | This month: 18