Metal Storm logo
Favorite film director

Original post

Posted by , 08.12.2011 - 17:39
If none of the above are your favorite, then please name your favorite director and also briefly (or not briefly) explain your choice. Some people may be irritated that Steven Spielberg is among the choices, but many influential (and arguably superior) directors such as Eisenstein, Lynch, Fellini etc. are not. The reason for this is simple: this poll is about who our favorites are and not about who we think is the most critically acclaimed or important director of all time, even though the two may very well be one person for some voters.
So as to not be indifferent to my own topic, my favorite film director of all time is Ingmar Bergman. I don't think he was the best at setting up great looking shots (Welles and Kubrick have him beat at that), but I love him more than any other director because of what his films are about. Bergman usually wrote his own scripts, something that lead Kubrick to state that Bergman was one of only three directors (the other two being Fellini and De Sica ) who wasn't just an artistic opportunist, waiting for a good story to fall into his lap. Bergman's films deal with many of the biggest problems that have intrigued mankind (probably) ever since we became capable of conceptual thought. Problems such as the existence/ non-existence of God(s), the human condition and the fear of the inevitability of death, self-discovery and many others. What makes his films work so well for me is the way that he expresses different points of view through different characters, which often leaves me wondering which character Bergman himself most identified/agreed with, if any. Bergman's stories are incredibly beautiful, often dark, they feature great characters and the dialogue feels 100% authentic and never makes one feel as if it is coming from a script (often it isn't, because he let his actors improvise a lot).
If I had to pick a favorite of his films then it would be his best known work "The Seventh Seal". You probably wouldn't believe that a film that has death as it's major theme (along with other favorite themes of Bergman's such as the silence of God, betrayal, insanity etc.) could produce so many laughs, but it does. It is a genuinely funny film, while also being very thought-provoking, emotionally and intellectually involving. You probably also would not believe that a black and white film could be the most beautiful film ever made, but it is. There's only one way to become a believer and that is too see it, I recommend that you do. It is a masterpiece.

Runners up in my favorites list (no particular order): David Lynch, Peter Jackson, Baz Luhrmann, Orson Welles, Terry Gilliam, Martin Scorsese.

Poll

Vote for your favorite film director of all time.

Someone else (who isn't Michael Bay)
Stanley Kubrick
Ernst Ingmar Bergman
Akira Kurosawa
Steven Allan Spielberg
Alfred Joseph Hitchcock
Francis Ford Coppola
George Orson Welles
David Keith Lynch

Total votes: 29
27.06.2012 - 17:38
Waniyetu

Generally I am more about individual movies as opposed to a director's entire catalog, however, John Carpenter would probably be my choice for an overall favorite. I like almost everything he has directed; from the Lovecraftian atmosphere of movies like The Fog or In The Mouth Of Madness to the pure terror and tension of something like The Thing or even Halloween, it's all just top-notch for my tastes. Prince Of Darkness has always been a personal favorite of mine too, with its slightly more scientific approach, and of course They Live has some excellent commentary about the destructive capitalist machine (even with all of its 80s humor, it still gets the point across in a brooding way). All-in-all, he's an excellent director in my opinion.
02.07.2012 - 07:33
Waniyetu

Written by Troy Killjoy on 08.12.2011 at 20:38

Lynch and Cronenberg. Simply because I love their movies.

Excellent directors, although I do prefer Cronenberg to Lynch overall; his earlier material (Videodrome, The Brood, Dead Ringers, Shivers) is some of the best cinema out there.
02.07.2012 - 09:09
axelx666

Do i really need to say it?

George A romero! why is he not on the list?
i bet if he was on the list it would change drastically. . . . this is probably one of the greatest films ever! (not to mention funniest)

----
"they can't stop us,let them try,for heavy metal we will die"
"on olemassa asioita karmivimmat yönä olen yksi heistä."
" we are the new bucolic,we are the pulse of the maggots"
"END"
02.07.2012 - 23:20
Waniyetu

Written by axelx666 on 02.07.2012 at 09:09

i bet if he was on the list it would change drastically. . . . this is probably one of the greatest films ever! (not to mention funniest)

Easily one of the best horror films ever, yes; I love Dawn Of The Dead and Day Of The Dead too. Romero's rather overlooked flick Season Of The Witch is really good too, with a nice pagan theme running throughout it.
02.07.2012 - 23:37
axelx666

Written by Waniyetu on 02.07.2012 at 23:20

Written by axelx666 on 02.07.2012 at 09:09

Easily one of the best horror films ever, yes; I love Dawn Of The Dead and Day Of The Dead too. Romero's rather overlooked flick Season Of The Witch is really good too, with a nice pagan theme running throughout it.

i've seen dawn and day but i never saw season of the witch,heard it was good though.
----
"they can't stop us,let them try,for heavy metal we will die"
"on olemassa asioita karmivimmat yönä olen yksi heistä."
" we are the new bucolic,we are the pulse of the maggots"
"END"
04.07.2012 - 19:15
I_Die_Often

Ridley Scott - He has done so many brilliant works of art.
----
Old enough to be your Daddy... speaking of which... you look familiar... do I know your mother???