02. Epitome XV
03. Epitome XVI
04. Epitome XVII
05. Epitome XVIII

The Best Industrial / Cyber / Electronic Metal Album Of 2012

Guest review by
Evil Chip
Rating:
777 - Cosmography is without a doubt the quietest and perhaps the least challenging of the entire trilogy of Blut Aus Nord. The dissonance and abrasive wall of sound lightly vanishes and gives way to other new elements. You can expect to find electronic beats, spoken passages, apocalyptic chants, industrial machinery, clean vocals, crystal clear delayed guitars and even some little amounts of doom. Is it eclectic or heterogeneous? Hell no. It's actually a really articulated record and mostly everything is laid in its right place. Is it the best record of the trilogy? I don't know but it's a really beautiful closure. I like to think this kind of music is like seeing a movie, since the visual aspect is a really significant part while listening. In those terms the climax of this trilogy is not disturbing or creepy but rather cathartic and desolating. It's almost like a post-apocalyptic scene where you can see the whole modern world falling apart or at least the human part of it.

Read more ››
published 22.01.2013 | Comments (7)

Staff review by
RaduP
Rating:
N/A
Blut Aus Nord is a band that often works in trilogies. And just like they’re currently in the process of closing another trilogy, let’s look at how they closed the best one in the past.

Read more ››
published 03.11.2023 | Comments (2)

Found in 29 lists
Top lists

Comments page 3 / 4

Comments: 96   Visited by: 764 users
25.09.2012 - 15:58
Rating: 8
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Guest on 25.09.2012 at 00:41

Written by Alex F on 25.09.2012 at 00:37

I found their album to be incredibly boring
I still don't get what the big fuss over it was

Just like their demo to be honest. People went absolutely loopy crap over it (see Metal Archives reviews) despite being pretty ordinary sounding to me.

Wow... i would never call that demo "groundbreaking" or any of the other praises the folks over at MA give it
25.09.2012 - 23:35
JÄY
Metal slave
Couldn't make it past to intro the the second song
25.09.2012 - 23:54
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by JÄY on 25.09.2012 at 23:35

Couldn't make it past to intro the the second song

You probably have a corrupt download then
26.09.2012 - 16:58
Rating: 9
Oaken
Hipster
Written by MetalRec-Grutle on 25.09.2012 at 15:16

lyrics

----
In that case, man is only air as well.
26.09.2012 - 19:47
Dinruth
Written by Alex F on 25.09.2012 at 00:37

Written by Dinruth on 24.09.2012 at 22:49

Written by Alex F on 24.09.2012 at 21:07

It's killing me that Ne Obliviscaris and In The Silence are above this

I haven't listened to "777 - Cosmosophy" yet, so I won't judge, but Ne Obliviscaris' album is a fucking killer .. love every minute on it

I found their album to be incredibly boring
I still don't get what the big fuss over it was

well for me I keep on spinning that CD on and on .. and it gets better with every time I hear it .. but thats my opinion ... still haven't had the time to give the BaN album a full listen, so I'll just stop posting off topic
27.09.2012 - 07:32
Grody2themax
Can't wait to get this album.. holy shit. This will be my first real exploration into BAN and I'm expecting it to be amazing.
01.10.2012 - 18:33
Rating: 5
BehzadSh
When I listening to it I feel like this
----
http://www.last.fm/user/behzadsh
06.10.2012 - 13:36
Masonics
First impressions, Def most accessible since MV II but still retains the mystical atmosphere Vinstall makes so well. of the trilogy, this has the most unexpected hooks, especially the spoken french electronica part on XV. My Fav is XVI, the beautiful ambiance then shifting to the grandeur that is BAN. Clean vocals were a bit weak, but was serviceable enough.
07.10.2012 - 20:23
BloodTears
ANA-thema
elite
Ok, so I'm giving it a go at this one. I read a review in Portuguese that called it "beautiful" and I want to see for myself if that is true! Also, generally curious about this one.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
08.10.2012 - 20:22
Vombatus
Potorro
I'm really late compared to everyone, but only got my copy couple days ago.

Vocals were weird at a start, but I think this is the perfect way to end the trilogy.... you really feel a sense of progression with all three albums together.

Also had a question about the lineup: So Vindsval did all on his own, does that mean the other guys are out of BaN or was it only for the 777 project ?
19.10.2012 - 04:05
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Dropped this from a 9 to an 8. After the over-enthusiasm of this being released it lost some of it's replay value and the songs sound a lot less intriguing. Still a great album though, and a wonderful end to the 777 trilogy
04.11.2012 - 16:52
.Nick
My first encounter with BAN, I like the atmosphere the music creates.
Is the rest of the 777 trilogy as good or even better?
04.11.2012 - 17:03
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by .Nick on 04.11.2012 at 16:52

My first encounter with BAN, I like the atmosphere the music creates.
Is the rest of the 777 trilogy as good or even better?

To me, this is the least good of the triology.
----
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
04.11.2012 - 20:38
Slayer666
Although there are some pretty godly moments on this (that middle part from Epitome XVI comes to mind), it's a bit too repetitive for its own good. I still haven't formed a full opinion on the album.
22.12.2012 - 01:49
IronAngel
I was a bit too excited about this at first, too. Turns out there's several better metal albums out this year. And with bands like Aluk Todolo and P.H.O.B.O.S. releasing excellent albums for a similar listening experience, I haven't really spent as much time with this as I did with The Desanctification. Compared to Occult Rock, this falls short. And with A Forest of Stars and Dordeduh, I found more conventional BM albums that appealed to me more.

Still a very good album in guaranteed BaN style, though. I just initially liked it more, either because it doesn't have as much replay value or because I hyped it up for myself.
20.01.2013 - 07:32
Evil Chip
Review coming soon :3
12.02.2013 - 20:59
mz
Based on my experience with BaN discography up to now, I would say TWWTG > MoRT> Liber II > Cosmosophy > The Desanctification > Sect(s). This is for sure more accessible than the first two parts of triology but that does not mean worst, at least for me.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
12.02.2013 - 22:46
Vombatus
Potorro
Hmmmmm I wouldn't know where to put this one in the trilogy. Definitely prefer Desanctification to Sects, but this is... hard to classify. Still, last 4 releases are probably in my top BaN list, along with MVI (yes, it's weird not to think TWWTG is nº1 )
06.10.2013 - 02:46
Rating: 5
I have no idea why people enjoy these albums. everyone's different.
06.10.2013 - 03:30
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by caligulasremains on 06.10.2013 at 02:46

Well, yeah... I could say the same hehehe, considering how uninteresting I find their regular BM stuff like Vetusta.
----
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
06.10.2013 - 14:25
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by caligulasremains on 06.10.2013 at 02:46

Well you say "these albums" but this album is like nothing else in BaN's discog so not quite sure what you mean there though you can say that about a lot of BaN albums in fact.
11.10.2013 - 20:38
mz
My 777th post is dedicated to this album and Blut Aus Nord <3
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
11.10.2013 - 21:41
God Alone
I still think it's their best work to date. There's not a single track (or even moment) I don't find breathtaking.
02.03.2014 - 17:15
angel.
Evil Butterfly
This by far is the best BAN for me, I literally love the whole album.
----
The Fangirl.
16.03.2015 - 16:11
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
First track is stunning. I can't really get into the rest of BAN's discography, but this album is an exception.
----
Daily underground metal recommendations at Metal Trenches.
Watch metal content on the Metal Trenches YouTube Channel.
01.04.2015 - 09:35
Joe Zombie
I've been picking through BAN's discography and found another winner with this one. I quite like the clean vocals. Black metal is mostly hit and miss for me, though BAN knows how to pique my interest. I love their more dissonant, industrial works.
22.08.2015 - 22:03
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Epitome XIV is simply transcendental. The ending three to four minutes forces me to recall all my lost memories, brings me face-to-face with my regrets, and makes me long for everything I've ever wanted, yet never had. There's very little out there that is so beautifully painful.
----
10.09.2016 - 20:04
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Had a listen to this for the first time in a while yesterday. Have to say I found it pretty poor compared to how I used to. The intros to the first couple of tracks are really terrible, and the intro to third track just goes on for way too long. Songwriting just feels really light and stretched out too, and the spoken / clean vocals detract from everything quite a bit. Shame.
10.09.2016 - 20:35
Mikolaj
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 10.09.2016 at 20:04

Had a listen to this for the first time in a while yesterday. Have to say I found it pretty poor compared to how I used to. The intros to the first couple of tracks are really terrible, and the intro to third track just goes on for way too long. Songwriting just feels really light and stretched out too, and the spoken / clean vocals detract from everything quite a bit. Shame.

Can't really say that I agree with that to be honest. Definitely not one of my BaN favourites but still very good in its own right. Epitome VI especially might be one of his most beautiful songs, the end gives me complete chills. Still of course not a patch on TWWTG or Mort.

Edit: Epitome XVI.
10.09.2016 - 20:37
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 10.09.2016 at 20:35

Can't really say that I agree with that to be honest. Definitely not one of my BaN favourites but still very good in its own right. Epitome VI especially might be one of his most beautiful songs, the end gives me complete chills. Still of course not a patch on TWWTG or Mort.

There are definitely moments I love on the album; those really euphoric bits, but the whole album feels like an excuse just to have a few of those, and the bits that aren't those are just really drawn out and not very interesting, or just plain awkward sounding. The whole 45 minutes just felt like about 15 minutes of actual songwriting tbh. Kind of a problem with the whole 777 trilogy in my opinion. Way too much material put out in such little time, and it shows.

Hits total: 23622 | This month: 27