Metal Storm logo
Albums you love that everyone else hates & vice versa.

Original post

Posted by M C Vice, 10.12.2011 - 10:05
What are the albums that seemingly everyone hates but you think are great? Or so-called masterpieces that you find mediocre at best? Do you love Risk or Lulu? Do you thimk Blackwater Park or Painkiller are steaming piles of horse crap?
For me, Master Of Puppets was just boring. Take Welcome Home, Battery and The Thing That Should Not Be off it and I'd give it a 5.
I do, however, love Gallhammer's Ill Innocence (as well as The End), Judas Priest's Turbo and Black Sabbath's Seventh Star.
How about you? Where does your opinion differ to the masses. Go on, be honest. Its the internet, no one will ever know.
22.04.2017 - 13:09
Metren
Dreadrealm
Written by M C Vice on 22.04.2017 at 02:49

It has a couple of great songs, but the rest is pretty meh by comparison. I like the album overall, but it definitly shouldn't be the No.6 metal album.
Still think it shits all over the current No.2, though.

Painkiller better than Master Of Puppets? Can't agree with that at all. Not that MOP isn't overrated, it is, especially when compared to Ride The Lightning or even Kill 'em All.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
23.04.2017 - 00:11
nikarg

I am going to get ripped on really hard for this, but who cares... I absolutely adore Crimson Glory's Strange And Beautiful. And I have loved it ever since it came out. I bought the cd expecting some great heavy/power metal, having already worn out the cassettes (yes I am that old) of their previous two albums and after the first listen I was like "wtf, this is so different, but so amazing at the same time". This cd has been played so many times that it's full of scratches now, but I'm keeping it for sentimental purposes. There's plenty of Led Zeppelin (guitars and riffs) and Deep Purple (the keyboards, my oh my) influence, but also gospel vocals, tribal drums, beautiful cheesy ballads and Midnight's voice is just out of this fucking world... I can go on and on about this, but I just realised there is no review for it here, so I am going to write one and put a real effort so that it doesn't come out as totally fanboyish.
27.04.2017 - 17:55
VIG
Account deleted
Behemoth - The Satanist.

Ok, so before in the SB and other places I've called this album overrated. And it is. But back when it came out I listened to it all the time, and for a long while it was my all time favorite album, and then I just stayed away from it. It is a somewhat boring album, and it's not that great, but over time I learned to love it again. I think it's a lot more of a personal reason for why I love it so much, because it was so important to me when it came out.
27.04.2017 - 18:16
Dungeon Shaker

I have a handful of albums that I love for nostalgic reasons, but admit aren't really that great, which I won't bother getting into. Though there is one album I adore, that get is largely ignored in the metal community: King Diamond's The Spiders Lullaby. Yes the songwriting is not quite on par with its predecessors, but man there is some great guitar work, and those keyboards! It is nice to see King drop the album long concepts and just have some fun.

Highlights are the doomy title track, The Poltergeist, and one of my absolute favorite songs; To the Morgue!
----
www.thunderousvoices.com
06.08.2017 - 12:16
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Sunn O & Scott Walker - Soused

Apologies if I've already mentioned this is in the thread. I don't enjoy it per se but have no problems with it and would spin it anytime if in the mood.
06.08.2017 - 12:17
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by Guest on 27.04.2017 at 17:55

Behemoth - The Satanist.

Ok, so before in the SB and other places I've called this album overrated. And it is. But back when it came out I listened to it all the time, and for a long while it was my all time favorite album, and then I just stayed away from it. It is a somewhat boring album, and it's not that great, but over time I learned to love it again. I think it's a lot more of a personal reason for why I love it so much, because it was so important to me when it came out.

It's a great album, the only problem being they spend too much time on build ups and showing off their sound or whatever. That said I fucking love the album and have bought the special edition cd when it came out, really good physical edition.
27.08.2017 - 03:32
Vinther1991

Albums I love, that everybody else hate:
Iron Maiden - The X Factor, probably my favorite Maiden album, it's so packed with emotion.

Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier, don't know, found it to be pretty unique and atmospheric. I love most of the songs here

Judas Priest - Jugulator, not a masterpiece by any means, but some pretty brutal. well written metal

Judas Priest - Nostradamus, always loved this one, don't get the hate, it's a really strong concept album, with some very well written symphonic metal on it.

Metallica - Load, better than Black Album in my opinion, many interesting songs on it (and a couple of fillers), a very unique album by Metallica. I also like Reload to a lesser extent

Metallica - Death Magnetic, Metallica returns to Thrash without copying their old albums, had it not been for the poor production, it would have been a Masterpiece

Albums I hate, that everyone else love:

Slayer - Reign in Blood, Is this a joke? A band playing as fast as they can, or rather, faster than they can. There's no variety here. Every song sounds the same, and are equally boring. Raining Blood and Angel of Death are garbage songs in my opinion. I HATE, HATE, HATE this album and the mediocre band behind it, who's only achievement is a handful of half-decent songs on Seasons in the Abyss. So yeah, any Slayer album could take this spot.

Iron Maiden - The Number of the Beast, 3-4 great songs does not a great album make, it might have Hallowed be thy Name and the Title Track, but it also has shit like Gangland and Invaders. It's an okay album, but not a great one.

Iron Maiden - Killers, songs sound like leftovers from self-titled, which they kind of are

Iron Maiden - Book of Souls, overlong and boring songs, too much filler in the songs.

Megadeth - Endgame, a boring album, which is all about speed and technique and too little about songs. This could be any recent Megadeth album really.

Pantera - The Great Southern Trendkill. Anselmo sounds terrible on this one

Ozzy Osbourne - Blizzard of Ozz. It has some great songs, but is way too inconsistent to be great.
27.08.2017 - 04:56
Polaria

Written by Vinther1991 on 27.08.2017 at 03:32

Albums I love, that everybody else hate:
Iron Maiden - The X Factor, probably my favorite Maiden album, it's so packed with emotion.

Albums I hate, that everyone else love:

Iron Maiden - The Number of the Beast, 3-4 great songs does not a great album make, it might have Hallowed be thy Name and the Title Track, but it also has shit like Gangland and Invaders. It's an okay album, but not a great one.

Iron Maiden - Killers, songs sound like leftovers from self-titled, which they kind of are.

Not everyone hates The X Factor and not everyone loves Killers ( the jury seems quite divided on both albums). Personally I like The X Factor and love Killers.

I tend to agree with you about The Number Of The Beast, and it is a real shame that Gangland made it to the original version of the album but not Total Eclipse.
----
Life is all the pain we endeavour.
28.08.2017 - 01:29
Vinther1991

Written by Polaria on 27.08.2017 at 04:56

Not everyone hates The X Factor and not everyone loves Killers ( the jury seems quite divided on both albums). Personally I like The X Factor and love Killers.

I tend to agree with you about The Number Of The Beast, and it is a real shame that Gangland made it to the original version of the album but not Total Eclipse.

It's true that The X Factor has a fan base and that some dislike Killers. But the consensus seems to be that Killers is amazing and The X Factor is bad.
28.08.2017 - 14:46
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Vinther1991 on 28.08.2017 at 01:29

. But the consensus seems to be that Killers is amazing and The X Factor is bad.

And rightly so.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.08.2017 - 18:53
tominator
At best deranged
The X Factor and Killers are on an equal level imo and even though they are far from my favourite Maiden album, I still like them both. Killers is good but in my opinion it's the weakest from the 80s and The X Factor is easily the best one they brought out in the 90s.

I have more problems with Fear Of The Dark and Dance Of Death tbh which are both albums that are often very liked by fans. Both have some great songs on them but also a lot of filler. Both are in my bottom 4 if I would rank Maiden's albums (together with No Prayer For The Dying and Virtual XI)

And yes that means that I like The Final Frontier though that's mostly due to the second part of that album because the first part (outside of Mother Of Mercy and the riffs on El Dorado that first part is forgettable). In fact the opening track of that album has to be one of my 5 least favourite Maiden songs. They should have never used a drum machine for that intro, demo or not.
30.08.2017 - 12:00
Vinther1991

Written by tominator on 28.08.2017 at 18:53

The X Factor and Killers are on an equal level imo and even though they are far from my favourite Maiden album, I still like them both. Killers is good but in my opinion it's the weakest from the 80s and The X Factor is easily the best one they brought out in the 90s.

I have more problems with Fear Of The Dark and Dance Of Death tbh which are both albums that are often very liked by fans. Both have some great songs on them but also a lot of filler. Both are in my bottom 4 if I would rank Maiden's albums (together with No Prayer For The Dying and Virtual XI)

And yes that means that I like The Final Frontier though that's mostly due to the second part of that album because the first part (outside of Mother Of Mercy and the riffs on El Dorado that first part is forgettable). In fact the opening track of that album has to be one of my 5 least favourite Maiden songs. They should have never used a drum machine for that intro, demo or not.

Killers is by no means a bad album, there is a lot to admire, especially the production, the performances of the band and the cover art. Unfortunately I find the songwriting to be subpar. I like the title track, Wrathchild, Murders in the Rue Morgue, Purgatory and Twilight Zone (which is on some versions of the album), the rest ranges from tolerable filler to really bad. Prodigal Son is to me one of Iron Maiden's weakest songs, but then again ballads were never their strength.
The X Factor on the other hand might be my favorite Iron Maiden album, there isn't a single song there I don't find great. I also always loved Blaze as vocalist.

I completely agree with Fear of the Dark and Dance of the Death, they really missed the mark with those two. They have some of the worst songs in Maiden's history. I never re-listen to those albums anymore, they are too tough to get through. I agree with your buttom 4, I do find No Prayer for the Dying and Virtual XI to be slightly better than Fear of the Dark and Dance of the Death though.

Also good to see some love for The Final Frontier, I do like that one a lot.
30.08.2017 - 13:05
tominator
At best deranged
Written by Vinther1991 on 30.08.2017 at 12:00

I also always loved Blaze as vocalist.

I also like Blaze as a vocalist. Do I prefer Bruce? Sure, but that doesn't mean Blaze did a bad job in Maiden. Especially on The X Factor his voice fits perfectly with the dark tone of the album. I personally think he was treated a bit unfairly by certain fans. It's not easy to be the new singer after Bruce left. I mean we have seen the same thing happen with Priest. Some of the fans were also complaining about Tim Owens even though he did a pretty good job if you ask me. When a band gets a new singer, I don't expect the singer to be the same as the previous singer. Blaze is a more limited singer in terms of range but he brought his own style to the music and that's exactly what I expect from a new singer.
18.09.2017 - 05:49
TeachNThrash

Like an Ever Flowing Stream and Left Hand Path. They are probably their respective band's best material, but I just can't get into the sound. I did, however, enjoy most of Illud Divinum Insanus to a certain extent.
18.09.2017 - 06:49
solar

Album I like -

"Dressed To Kill" by KISS. Pretty much anything by KISS, really. Haven't got around to listening to them lately, but they were always playing on my speakers a few years ago.

Album I dislike -

"Master Of Puppets" by Metallica. Or anything by Metallica, really. I liked 3-4 songs off all I've ever heard by them.
18.09.2017 - 15:51
VIG
Account deleted
Written by solar on 18.09.2017 at 06:49

Album I like -

"Dressed To Kill" by KISS. Pretty much anything by KISS, really. Haven't got around to listening to them lately, but they were always playing on my speakers a few years ago.

Album I dislike -

"Master Of Puppets" by Metallica. Or anything by Metallica, really. I liked 3-4 songs off all I've ever heard by them.

Metallica is hit or miss for me, although I really do love Ride The Lightning. Also, KISS is awesome, you should never be ashamed in loving the hottest band in the world. Seriously, my first metal band besides Type O Negative
18.09.2017 - 19:55
solar

Written by Guest on 18.09.2017 at 15:51

Written by solar on 18.09.2017 at 06:49

Metallica is hit or miss for me, although I really do love Ride The Lightning. Also, KISS is awesome, you should never be ashamed in loving the hottest band in the world. Seriously, my first metal band besides Type O Negative

Haha. And nope, no shame here! Had a good time listening to KISS
25.10.2017 - 02:45
VIG
Account deleted
Written by 3rdWorld on 06.08.2017 at 12:17

It's a great album, the only problem being they spend too much time on build ups and showing off their sound or whatever.

Then it's not a great album
25.10.2017 - 13:40
infernalius

Love:
Black Album by Metallica. The Burning Red by Machine Head. Volcano by Satyricon.
25.10.2017 - 14:21
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by infernalius on 25.10.2017 at 13:40

Love:
Black Album by Metallica. .... Volcano by Satyricon.

A gazillian people like those two albums
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.10.2017 - 17:07
VIG
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 25.10.2017 at 14:21

A gazillian people like those two albums

Yeah, especially Metallica, but Volcano too. Both very very popular metal albums.
26.10.2017 - 13:06
infernalius

They have both a much lower rating that their best albuns. And black album, it's really hated / despised
by pretty much every metalhead i know ... Only people outside metal tend to like it lol ...