04. The Great Darkness
05. Battle Lines
06. Wyrgthu
07. The Storm
08. The Name Of The Wind

Staff review by
Troy Killjoy
Rating:
The wait is finally over - Wodensthrone are back and more epic than ever.

Read more ››
published 31.05.2012 | Comments (15)

Epic, enchanting, melodic, folk-infused atmo-black metal with uplifting melodies that benefit from the use of violins and acoustic work. Gives Loss a run for its money...

Troy Killjoy's picks | More picks ››

Found in 18 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 26   Visited by: 350 users
14.12.2011 - 07:30
Thanntos

O god yes can't wait!
----
I will kill you so hard you will die to death.
14.12.2011 - 08:04
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
It's legit - confirmed by a news post from the label. Fuck yes.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
14.12.2011 - 22:21
Hendrikse
Account deleted
Should hopefully be another fantastic album!
07.01.2012 - 19:50
Rating: 10
The Doctor

Im sure it will be another masterpiece!
----
People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly... timey-wimey... stuff.
03.04.2012 - 09:31
Rating: 8
Czerny Reiter

I've only but recently started exploring Loss and already a new album is upon us. Good timing for me and a good chunk of antecipation has already taken shape. If they can refine the synths (which I love) and continue with ever more epic songs we could have something really special to look forward to.
26.04.2012 - 03:18
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Haven't been able to find anything beyond the one song they released... Hopefully it lives up to my expectations, because the debut is immense.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
26.04.2012 - 03:28
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 26.04.2012 at 03:18

Haven't been able to find anything beyond the one song they released... Hopefully it lives up to my expectations, because the debut is immense.

I kinda fell out of interest with the debut. These days it just seems like a fairly decent Drudkh clone. Admittedly given Drudkh's recent output that's not a bad thing.
26.04.2012 - 03:32
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 26.04.2012 at 03:28
I kinda fell out of interest with the debut. These days it just seems like a fairly decent Drudkh clone. Admittedly given Drudkh's recent output that's not a bad thing.

To be honest it has been quite a while since I've given it a proper listen, so I can't even be sure my feelings are the same.

You better not influence me into thinking it's a Drudkh clone and that current Drudkh is bad. >> I like my music taste where it is right now, thank you.
----
26.04.2012 - 03:34
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 26.04.2012 at 03:32

To be honest it has been quite a while since I've given it a proper listen, so I can't even be sure my feelings are the same.

You better not influence me into thinking it's a Drudkh clone and that current Drudkh is bad. >> I like my music taste where it is right now, thank you.

But current Drudkh is bad bitch =P

Not that you ever would, but don't ever see Wodensthrone live. You go in expecting some long, blonde hair viking sorts and you get some dreadfully normal looking guys who just don't match the music at all.
26.04.2012 - 03:36
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 26.04.2012 at 03:34
You go in expecting some long, blonde hair viking sorts and you get some dreadfully normal looking guys who just don't match the music at all.

You're telling this to the guy who practically ejaculated 300 words into a review of Deafheaven's debut.

----
26.04.2012 - 03:39
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Button up shirts should be banned from metal. And anything white. Unless it's a wedding dress (Attila)
26.04.2012 - 03:43
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 26.04.2012 at 03:39
Button up shirts should be banned from metal. And anything white.

I'm literally wearing a white t-shirt underneath a button-up collared dress shirt right now.

I'm so metal I dress anti-metal. Maybe I could form my own Wodensthrone/Deafheaven project.
----
26.04.2012 - 03:44
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook

Button up shirts should be banned from metal. And anything white. Unless it's a wedding dress (Attila)

I wear polo shirts quite often.

*come at me bro meme*

Also wedding dresses, but that's another story...
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
27.04.2012 - 18:26
Hendrikse
Account deleted
Cannot find any other songs other than "The Storm" and some previews off amazon. Bummer.
02.05.2012 - 19:31
Hendrikse
Account deleted
Just leaked. well, if anyone''s interested.
18.05.2012 - 06:43
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Been listening to this off-and-on over the course of the past few days and must say it's... much different than I expected. I guess the fact it seems to focus more on creating an epic atmosphere and not so much on the whole pagan/folk aspect took me a bit by surprise being that I assumed it would be more aligned with Drudkh/Negura Bunget/etc., but this is still an excellent release. Some of the melodies are incredibly uplifting, and the vocals are mixed perfectly in the "middle" - not too high, not too low.

The acoustic passages make for a nice break in the action as well, slowing things down and building up the epic foundation, made more so by the timely incorporation of violins. I'm happy they didn't disappoint even though the change was initially surprising.
----
24.05.2012 - 21:30
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Troy Killjoy on 18.05.2012 at 06:43

Epic, enchanting, melodic, folk-infused atmo-black metal with uplifting melodies that benefit from the use of violins and acoustic work. Gives Loss a run for its money...

Atmosphere? Folk? Acoustic passages? Violin?

I just creamed my pants.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
30.05.2012 - 16:04
Rating: 9
Oaken
Hipster
Written by Boxcar Willy on 24.05.2012 at 21:30

Written by Troy Killjoy on 18.05.2012 at 06:43

Atmosphere? Folk? Acoustic passages? Violin?

I just creamed my pants.

I really suggest you listen to this. It's very catchy, and a great atmospheric black metal metal record. And Troy's description sums it all up.
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
04.07.2012 - 10:36
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Epic.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
04.07.2012 - 13:49
X-Ray Rod
Skandino

Or unless you are Akercocke.

God... How I miss them
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
24.08.2012 - 10:57
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Will their 3rd album be called Reverence?
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
17.11.2012 - 18:01
Draugen

Wow!

This is some impressive stuff. Not only does Wodensthrone manage to create yet another stunning album, but Curse actually had a greater impact on me than the debut.

If I could only use one word to describe this album it would be EPIC. This is mainly due to the sheer diversity of it with the atmosphere ranging from harsh and agressive to soothing and majestic. Despite all of these transitions throughout the duration of the album, there was never anything that felt out of place or cheesy. Instead, Curse is like a grandiose journey that deserves to be experienced from beginning to end. I would also like to mention that there was a nice surprise to hear Greg Chandler's distinctive vocals on the last track which became a fitting ending to a great album as a whole.
21.02.2013 - 14:50
Rating: 10
lord artan

This album is amazing wow awesome.....03. First Light
14.02.2014 - 12:44
rahul77

Super awsome album ...especially the last song..'the name of the wind'..hope wodensthrone keeps bringing this awsome stuff..\m/
30.09.2014 - 01:10
mz

I hadn't been moved by an atmospheric black metal record in long time. This one is just so good it hurts.
Surprisingly, this band shares member with the defunct The Axis of Perdition and Cruciamentum :|. Seriously didn't expect that as those bands are great as making some of the darkest musics I've ever heard. This album is just beautiful.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
03.02.2015 - 00:50
Joe Zombie

That last track... very impressive. In fact, this entire album is impressive. These guys know how to do atmosphere. I'm loving that artwork too.

Hits total: 11465 | This month: 19