Metal Storm logo
Depression (And Other Related Mental Illnesses)

Original post

Posted by Troy Killjoy, 14.12.2011 - 23:17
Due to the off-topic conversations in the love thread leading to talks of suicide, depression, angst, anxiety, and the likes...

This is your place to discuss your inner conflicts, share with others or simply give positive advice to people suffering. Reflect on past experiences, post your views on mental illnesses, share stories of family members who suffer from such illnesses - basically just keep it on topic.

/wrist
24.10.2016 - 02:57
no one
Account deleted
Seriously though, I have been to many psychiatrist and psychologist, AA meetings, taken different medications, a zillion quacks, and I got the best help from simply meditating a lot over a long period of time, also reading a lot about it.

Psychologist and psychiatrists are all into the mindful mediation programmed these days anyway. There is definitely no harm researching and trying this stuff out yourself without paying for professional advice. Unless you are really chronically depressed which I don't think Mary is.
24.10.2016 - 03:14
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 24.10.2016 at 02:57

Seriously though, I have been to many psychiatrist and psychologist, AA meetings, taken different medications, a zillion quacks, and I got the best help from simply meditating a lot over a long period of time, also reading a lot about it.

Psychologist and psychiatrists are all into the mindful mediation programmed these days anyway. There is definitely no harm researching and trying this stuff out yourself without paying for professional advice. Unless you are really chronically depressed which I don't think Mary is.

if mary starts take unautorazed drugs like benzyn and doxepin, benyzperin and things like that it can basically kill her
yes today its therapy and depression is not illness its some state, shyzofernia is even wery light form we all can have it
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
24.10.2016 - 04:06
no one
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 24.10.2016 at 03:14

if mary starts take unautorazed drugs like benzyn and doxepin, benyzperin and things like that it can basically kill her
yes today its therapy and depression is not illness its some state, shyzofernia is even wery light form we all can have it

I never mentioned anything about those prescription drugs, which you need to see a professional to get anyway.
24.10.2016 - 21:20
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by Bad English on 24.10.2016 at 00:14

Don't try anything what ppl says, only experts and doctors, otherwise you will have well all will be fucked up in the ssa and tnuc same time and msij will come out from a mouth ....
I study a bit posology and pshiatri ... answer lies deeper and many cases you wont like it , well try Kognitiv beteendeterapi KBT have no clue how it is in English.
Depression, you need be long period symptoms and things, long period , not few times
describe me, I might set diagnose to you

"posology and pshiatri" ? Sorry dude, but couldn't help it. Lets keep serious thread to serious things.
24.10.2016 - 21:22
3rdWorld
China was a neat
I actually thought no one was getting a serious depression lately and that's the reason he changed his avatar and posted here today but lmao K7 to the rescue.
24.10.2016 - 21:31
angel.
Evil Butterfly

Blah Blah Blah

Some medication hurts nobody even if I am not diagnosed to anything at all.
----
The Fangirl.
24.10.2016 - 21:52
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by angel. on 24.10.2016 at 21:31

Blah Blah Blah

Some medication hurts nobody even if I am not diagnosed to anything at all.

no it kills many organs and might help one, never take whit out doctor, try natural things even still whit percussion
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
27.10.2016 - 00:55
Kennoth

Ten years and counting. Woohoo!
----
*insert something deep and profound*
27.10.2016 - 06:26
no one
Account deleted
Written by Kennoth on 27.10.2016 at 00:55

Ten years depressed?
27.10.2016 - 10:03
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by Guest on 24.10.2016 at 02:57

I see your point. I definitely agree.
----
The Fangirl.
27.10.2016 - 22:51
Kennoth

Written by Guest on 27.10.2016 at 06:26

Ten years depressed?

Yup.
----
28.10.2016 - 00:03
no one
Account deleted
Written by Kennoth on 27.10.2016 at 22:51

Ten years depressed?

Yup.

You must go through periods of positivity though?
28.10.2016 - 16:59
Kennoth

Written by Guest on 28.10.2016 at 00:03

Written by Kennoth on 27.10.2016 at 22:51

Ten years depressed?

Yup.

You must go through periods of positivity though?

I suppose, like everyone else. But they never last for very long.
----
30.10.2016 - 08:47
no one
Account deleted
Written by Kennoth on 28.10.2016 at 16:59

I suppose, like everyone else. But they never last for very long.

Ever tried getting some sort of help?
30.10.2016 - 15:49
Kennoth

I had a brief stint with psychologist, and I took some anti-depressives, but once I decided they didn't do anything for me I gave up on them.
----
31.10.2016 - 04:43
no one
Account deleted
Written by Kennoth on 30.10.2016 at 15:49

I had a brief stint with psychologist, and I took some anti-depressives, but once I decided they didn't do anything for me I gave up on them.

Doomed then.
31.10.2016 - 05:13
Kennoth

Written by Guest on 31.10.2016 at 04:43

Written by Kennoth on 30.10.2016 at 15:49

Doomed then.

Indeed.
----
31.10.2016 - 05:43
no one
Account deleted
Written by Kennoth on 31.10.2016 at 05:13

Indeed.

Well yeah, life sucks. But that's why you have to seek out ways to at least slightly improve it. Or you could choose to just dwell on it or winge about it, but that just makes it even worse...... Not saying that I don't do the latter myself.
03.03.2017 - 17:03
Netzach
Planewalker
I was really close to taking my own life about a year ago... Stood on the balcony, drunk and on pills, (highest floor) and was going to jump before I got persuaded to snap out of it. Not gonna cry about stuff or anything, I just wanted to say that this, what to call it, "close brush with death", according to people should make me appreciate life more, but mostly when I think back upon it, it just makes me regret not jumping before somebody found me. Because now I have to live with those memories and the knowledge of everybody I hurt with this retarded episode of my life.

Eh... Not trying to sound edgy or emo or some shit like that... And I don't think I'm likely to try that shit again (who knows, though)... But it goes to show that what most would see as an "epiphany" or "revelation" usually just confirms your previous world-view. I'll just quote Impaled Nazarene here... "Life is hell, and then you die, so better speed it up with [a] knife!" (Yeah they got the grammar wrong... typical Finns)
03.03.2017 - 19:28
no one
Account deleted
Written by Netzach on 03.03.2017 at 17:03

I was really close to taking my own life about a year ago... Stood on the balcony, drunk and on pills, (highest floor) and was going to jump before I got persuaded to snap out of it. Not gonna cry about stuff or anything, I just wanted to say that this, what to call it, "close brush with death", according to people should make me appreciate life more, but mostly when I think back upon it, it just makes me regret not jumping before somebody found me. Because now I have to live with those memories and the knowledge of everybody I hurt with this retarded episode of my life.

Eh... Not trying to sound edgy or emo or some shit like that... And I don't think I'm likely to try that shit again (who knows, though)... But it goes to show that what most would see as an "epiphany" or "revelation" usually just confirms your previous world-view. I'll just quote Impaled Nazarene here... "Life is hell, and then you die, so better speed it up with [a] knife!" (Yeah they got the grammar wrong... typical Finns)

So your letting a memory of how you felt when you were pissed and drugged up, or some thought of a shitty world view you had a year ago, determine your views on life from now on?
03.03.2017 - 21:11
Netzach
Planewalker
Written by Guest on 03.03.2017 at 19:28

Written by Netzach on 03.03.2017 at 17:03

So your letting a memory of how you felt when you were pissed and drugged up, or some thought of a shitty world view you had a year ago, determine your views on life from now on?

Sounds pretty harsh tbh... but I guess that's the kind of perspective that is needed sometimes... Nah that's not really what I meant, I'm just saying it would have been easier if I DIDN'T remember it. I do feel better now than I did a year ago, generally speaking. And the suicidal thoughts have pretty much left my mind. But it's definitely gonna take a while before I get the shit I did a year ago out of my mind completely. The only thing that stopped me from jumping to my death was my girlfriend and for that I will be forever grateful...

You have a great point though... I shouldn't let that shit occupy my mind since it's in the past. Thank you...
05.03.2017 - 22:13
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Netzach on 03.03.2017 at 21:11
Sounds pretty harsh tbh... but I guess that's the kind of perspective that is needed sometimes... Nah that's not really what I meant, I'm just saying it would have been easier if I DIDN'T remember it. I do feel better now than I did a year ago, generally speaking. And the suicidal thoughts have pretty much left my mind. But it's definitely gonna take a while before I get the shit I did a year ago out of my mind completely. The only thing that stopped me from jumping to my death was my girlfriend and for that I will be forever grateful...

You have a great point though... I shouldn't let that shit occupy my mind since it's in the past. Thank you...

I suppose that's a natural reaction. Feeling better overall but shitty once you remember what happened before... Probably out of shame (if I'm allowed to make assumptions, hope I'm not being rude there). Fortunately, feeling shame for a past incident is MUCH easier to handle than general depression affecting you on the present. Good luck.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
05.03.2017 - 22:54
Candlemass
Defaeco
The Hilarious World of Depression
A fantastic podcast about depression.
18.03.2017 - 02:08
Cavernous

Since i began to be medicated 24 hours round all year my life certainly changed for the best. I think people overestimate too much their emotions. At last everything is about chemistry
18.03.2017 - 16:02
Metren
Dreadrealm
Might as well join with you guys

Schizotypal disorder here, been taking meds (Abilify and Zoloft) for almost five years now and they certainly help. However, if I forget to take them for two or more days, then taking them again sends me into a depression like nothing else. Usually I feel so shit in such cases, that I just sleep and sleep and... sleep some more.

The weird thing is that being schizotypal doesn't even bother my life that much, a much bigger problem is my inability to focus on doing one thing (as in a hobby, I can focus on work) for a long enough period for it to be truly productive. I can compose and record music, draw manga or post reviews of games and movies on YT for a few weeks atm before I switch hobbies again. That's annoying as hell.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
19.07.2017 - 20:03
HemisphereofWar

Written by Guest on 31.10.2016 at 05:43

Written by Kennoth on 31.10.2016 at 05:13

Indeed.

Well yeah, life sucks. But that's why you have to seek out ways to at least slightly improve it. Or you could choose to just dwell on it or winge about it, but that just makes it even worse...... Not saying that I don't do the latter myself.

There's actually a concept in philosophy called absurdity (conceived by Albert Camus) that basically says that despite the meaninglessness in life and the fact that our reality is a sucky endeavor, we should strive to give our lives meaning anyways and live in revolt of the unconscious.

When I read about that concept earlier this year, I was blown away by how simple it was, but how profound it actually was to read. For the last four or five years, I kept thinking that depression was always going to be in my head, and shockingly, it likely always will be! I never exactly grew up with great emotional support, and being yelled at over dumb shit since childhood really drains you and causes you to have to jolt your worldview in an entirely different direction.

But what I think we can do is that we can acknowledge our depression exists when it arises. By telling ourselves that we know how we feel in the moment, whether depressed, sad, angry, happy, melancholy, etc... we can at least know that it's there to, so to speak, let the storm of depression pass and mitigate the effects of the emotional trauma we're facing.
----
See how it sings like a sad heart
And joyously screams out its pain
Sounds that build high like a mountain
Or notes that fall gently, like rain.
03.10.2017 - 14:21
Netzach
Planewalker
Written by X-Ray Rod on 05.03.2017 at 22:13

I suppose that's a natural reaction. Feeling better overall but shitty once you remember what happened before... Probably out of shame (if I'm allowed to make assumptions, hope I'm not being rude there). Fortunately, feeling shame for a past incident is MUCH easier to handle than general depression affecting you on the present. Good luck.

Turns out I've been diagnosed with ADD, which was pretty self-obvious in retrospect, and the subsequent treatments have started to really turn things around. Lots of wasted years behind, no time to lose.

I feel sorry for everybody who aren't getting the medical attention or therapy they need and deserve, I count myself lucky.
25.12.2017 - 19:25
Become Death

I've struggled with a condition known as double depression my whole life. I have dysthymia (a long term, functional, low grade depression) and episodes of severe depression. It has led to all sorts of crappy things like self injurious behavior and drug abuse. I've been hospitalised manny times. In August, the last time I was hospitalized, I met a girl who is now my girlfriend, and almost fiancee. What was missing from my life was true love of the romantic sort. Since we have fallen in love, I use almost no drugs and have done zero self harm. Same with her. We are "pre-engaged" and have agreed that the question will be asked as soon as the new year comes. I can hardly wait.
----
Fear is the path to the darkside. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering. Once you start down the path to the darkside, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will.
07.05.2018 - 21:31
Metren
Dreadrealm
Well, I spent the majority of this winter in depression. Felt like writing about this on several occasions, but never was able to put into words how empty and tired I felt. It wasn't until last month that I started feeling better and I am doing quite alright now, even actually enjoying my hobbies and life in general again. It was a tough few months though... glad it's over.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
09.05.2018 - 18:34
VIG
Account deleted
Written by Metren on 07.05.2018 at 21:31

Well, I spent the majority of this winter in depression. Felt like writing about this on several occasions, but never was able to put into words how empty and tired I felt. It wasn't until last month that I started feeling better and I am doing quite alright now, even actually enjoying my hobbies and life in general again. It was a tough few months though... glad it's over.

I'm not a person who has times where I'm depressed (like for a month, week, day, etc.) and then is feeling better. I've just been depressed for the past year and a half.