Metal Storm logo
Wolves in the Throne Room

18.05.2006 - 12:02
Zombie, M.D.

If you're into Weakling you should really enjoy this. Its a little too simmilar to Weakling at times, but they manage to pull it off very well.

http://www.wolvesinthethroneroom.com/menudo2.htm
----
"I really screwed up this time." - Jeffery Dahmer
18.05.2006 - 12:07
/ELVET (O)
Account deleted
Very nice indeed, there was never enough Weakling to go around in the first place so it's all good really.
03.06.2006 - 20:52
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Never heard Weakling before, but this is interesting. Are those samples all there is about them? Well, online I mean?
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
03.06.2006 - 22:07
Warrior Poet
Account deleted
Hey, top stuff.
09.06.2006 - 11:14
JoeDoom
Account deleted
This band is utterly worthless. Fucking kids trying to hop on the atmospheric USBM bandwagon and if people have any taste left this band will fail miserably.

They try to get that same Weakling sound yet they lack the maturity in their musicianship to do anything that sounds good. Hopefully people will actually differentiate hype and good music.
09.06.2006 - 15:25
Secret Face
Account deleted
heard this...sound's realy good
09.06.2006 - 15:45
Lucas
Mr. Noise
@JoeDoom. Isn't that a bit too harsh. I really like it, and I've heard much MUCH worse BM bands..
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
09.06.2006 - 16:44
Zombie, M.D.

JoeDoom just seems to have some sand trapped in his vagina.
----
"I really screwed up this time." - Jeffery Dahmer
09.06.2006 - 17:36
Lucas
Mr. Noise
@Mecha Zombie. What? That sounds nice.. :/
----

10.06.2006 - 02:20
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
LMAO at MZ. Been a while since I've heard that phrase.

I like the way the tension mounts on the first sample.

I also like the guitar tone/sound, as well as how the vocals seem to be done more in the mix than over the mix.

I read an article with these guys and was interested in hearing some samples - now they will be added to my ever-growing wishlist.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
17.06.2006 - 21:46
Prugor
Mr. Offensive
Not bad. Certainly not like the gigantic and fantastic Weakling, but it's a nice kick to listen to.

JoeDoom. Shush. Adults are talking.
----
Ah... Girl look at that body, Ah... I work out
18.06.2006 - 00:18
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Awesome band indeed, I love their kind of electric hypnotism... a must check if you aks me.
18.06.2006 - 01:53
JoeDoom
Account deleted
Thank you all for supporting the birth of black metalcore. Lets see how many more genres of metal can be exploited by scenesters. Lets see the list so far....

thrash
melodic death
grindcore
sludge
power (the "scene" only allows for one power metal band to be popular at one time)
technical death metal is starting to get there, thank you Necrophagist and your bass solos.

hopefully Wolves In the Throne room will get black metal on MTV2 after The Red Chord's black metal side project gets underway.
18.06.2006 - 02:31
Southern Wind
Account deleted
this New Wave of Retarded Black Metal Pseudo-Elitists is breaking my balls
18.06.2006 - 05:43
Prugor
Mr. Offensive
Music, regardless of genre is going to become popular. It just takes time and the right band to break the fold. Be it that a band has done something different, shown a different meaning or light to the sound of that said genre, it doesn't mean they are trying to break into the scene of the mainstream.

And so what if it's a side project of a popular band? Can't other musicians express themselves in different genres, not to be limited in the way they do things? I mean seriously, it gets old to get your point out in the same style of music over and over. If they want to blend over, so be it. It's -your- say if -you- want to listen to it or not. If you don't like it, good. Then shut up. Let other people enjoy music that they like.

And like I said, let grown ups talk. Kids must sit at the kids table and eat all their veggies.

Nuff 'said.
----
Ah... Girl look at that body, Ah... I work out
18.06.2006 - 06:54
Almighty Ent
Dragon Reborn
This sounds way better than Weakling to me. The music so far reminds me of a slower Taake
18.06.2006 - 20:15
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Guest on 18.06.2006 at 01:53

Thank you all for supporting the birth of black metalcore. Lets see how many more genres of metal can be exploited by scenesters. Lets see the list so far....

thrash
melodic death
grindcore
sludge
power (the "scene" only allows for one power metal band to be popular at one time)
technical death metal is starting to get there, thank you Necrophagist and your bass solos.

hopefully Wolves In the Throne room will get black metal on MTV2 after The Red Chord's black metal side project gets underway.

Right. Black metal should remain old, stale, stagnant and never, ever evolve.

I take it, mister tr00, that you are a Norwegian that was running around LARPing in the woods with corpse paint, leather armor and battle axes as well as a card carrying member of the Inner Circle.

Obviously you must have Grim and Frostbitten Necrocredentials if you are going to educate us on how (or even if) black metal should be allowed to evolve.
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
18.06.2006 - 21:28
Daniell
_爱情_
Apart form a GREAT name, this band is almost as good as Weakling. Not so epic and grandiose, not so very much depressive and complex, but very, very enjoyable. I wonder how I'm going to get the full album ??
19.06.2006 - 03:14
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by Daniell on 18.06.2006 at 21:28

I wonder how I'm going to get the full album ??

downloading it??? If your leecher instinct has its wings open I can send you a link
19.06.2006 - 08:49
JoeDoom
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 18.06.2006 at 02:31

Too bad this isn't new and is what black metal was founded upon.

Written by Prugor on 18.06.2006 at 05:43

Music, regardless of genre is going to become popular. It just takes time and the right band to break the fold. Be it that a band has done something different, shown a different meaning or light to the sound of that said genre, it doesn't mean they are trying to break into the scene of the mainstream.

And so what if it's a side project of a popular band? Can't other musicians express themselves in different genres, not to be limited in the way they do things? I mean seriously, it gets old to get your point out in the same style of music over and over. If they want to blend over, so be it. It's -your- say if -you- want to listen to it or not. If you don't like it, good. Then shut up. Let other people enjoy music that they like.

And like I said, let grown ups talk. Kids must sit at the kids table and eat all their veggies.

Nuff 'said.

Music does not inherently become popular. There have been infinite genres of music you and I have never heard of nor have been popular or ever will be popular. A genre gaining a significant amount of popularity seldomly "has done something different, shown a different meaning or light to the sound of that said genre." Please cite examples to prove me wrong.

Written by BitterCOld on 18.06.2006 at 20:15

Written by Guest on 18.06.2006 at 01:53

thrash
melodic death
grindcore
sludge

Right. Black metal should remain old, stale, stagnant and never, ever evolve.

I take it, mister tr00, that you are a Norwegian that was running around LARPing in the woods with corpse paint, leather armor and battle axes as well as a card carrying member of the Inner Circle.

Obviously you must have Grim and Frostbitten Necrocredentials if you are going to educate us on how (or even if) black metal should be allowed to evolve.

Please cite examples to where I have advocated for black metal not to evolve?

It is absolultely hilarious to watch 18 year olds get all in a huff when you say their trendy Shadows Fall, Necrophagist, Dragonforce, The Sword bands are boring, generic and actually baneful to metal. I shouldn't care what other people listen to; this is generally true, but once there becomes a large enough following for bands who are detrimental to metal, I have no problem expressing opinion.

My fault with Wolves In The Throne Room is NOT that they have a different sound. It is the fact kids are exploiting a genre of music while adding their own tasteless elements.

The trouble with adolescents in their first few years of metal is that they are completely at the whim of what is trendy and popular (relatively of course) regardless of what is good. Think of how many of us started off looking up century media, earache, and nuclear blast bands. Also I hope at this stage in our lives we can all see the large seperation between popularity of a band and musical talent (I'm not talking about skill i.e. Malmsteen). As more and more of these bands become accessable to kids without taste or the means of developing taste, these bands become more over proportionately popular (this helps if not causes shifts in the trendiness of genres). With an increased interest of a particular genre by these kids, (most drastic and clear cut example is the exploitation of the melodic death metal genre) the more band come out comprised of trendhoppers adding their own tasteless and trendy elements to it (whether by it hardcore, metalcore, post rock, idm, math rock, etc). This is generally not an improvement or positive evolution for this music (note Darkest Hour, Bleeding Through, The Black Dahlia Murder which were obvious negative elements to melodic death metal and bands like Age Of Ruin, It Dies Today, Undying which at the very least keep the genre stagnant).

Please do not confuse this for the absolute lack of evolution in black metal. I love tasteful progression in music. You can check out the avant garde black metal thread and read my post. You can also ask for my opinions or recommendations of any other bands or genres.
19.06.2006 - 11:40
Damnated
Churchburner
Sounds damn good! I never listened to Weakling, but this band is really something. Long, epic tracks, it really creates a decent atmosphere. I'm still searching for the album.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
19.06.2006 - 15:01
Lucas
Mr. Noise
@JoeDoom.

Still, I have and probably will always wonder why someone else's opinion is important. If you like a band, listen to it. If a band that you don't like comes on television, throw the fucking tv out. If a kid with a slipknot shirt comes to you and says that your t-shirt of 'Undying' is cool, punch the motherfucker in the face!! BUt why care, about what someone else likes? it is up to YOU wether you listen to it or not.
----

19.06.2006 - 15:18
Daniel

@Nervel.

woooooooooo! here here!
----
In The Cold Winds of Nowhere
19.06.2006 - 16:01
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 19.06.2006 at 08:49

Written by Guest on 18.06.2006 at 02:31

Too bad this isn't new and is what black metal was founded upon.

with the difference that what was acepted at first was despised then and now it's simply PATHETIC
19.06.2006 - 18:01
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Written by Daniel on 19.06.2006 at 15:18

@Nervel.

woooooooooo! here here!

Yes, I see you? I didn't get that post..
----

19.06.2006 - 20:35
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Lucas on 19.06.2006 at 18:01

@Nervel.

woooooooooo! here here!

He want's to join the Official Nervel Fanclub, IMO
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
19.06.2006 - 20:45
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Written by Damnated on 19.06.2006 at 20:35

Written by Lucas on 19.06.2006 at 18:01

@Nervel.

woooooooooo! here here!

He want's to join the Official Nervel Fanclub, IMO

lol. Sorry dragonclaw, but you can't. You have to at least have stalked for over a year and you _must_ always know what sort of underwear I am wearing atm. Only then you can call yourself a true Nervel Addict!!!

*Wasn't this topic about Black Metal, or something among that line *
----

19.06.2006 - 23:20
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Joe,

Frankly, I understand your concern about scenesters and vargy-come-lately's dragging a genre down- it happened with both Punk Rock and Death Metal. Now I have to research a band fairly thoroughly and rely on recommendations from some of the folks on this board I trust (like MZ) before I will plunk down my money on a CD as opposed to the long lost 'salad days' in the early 90's when it seemed that anything I picked up with an Earache logo was worth buying (Cathedral, Godflesh, Bolt Thrower, Napalm Death, etc... )

But I really think you selected the wrong band and thread with which to pick a fight.

I don't know too much about them, only what I have read in a short interview in Metal Maniacs and the samples linked abouve, but I hardly see them as a threat to crack eMpTy-Vee2 or any widespread acceptance of the genre. There are much worse and much bigger bands already accomplishing that.
----

20.06.2006 - 05:28
Daniel

@Nervel ,

hehehe,very sorry,i guess i'm simply not good enough for the official Nervel fan club, ,and i was cheering about you comment to joedoom,It was very good,
----
In The Cold Winds of Nowhere
20.06.2006 - 08:36
JoeDoom
Account deleted
Written by BitterCOld on 19.06.2006 at 23:20

Joe,

Frankly, I understand your concern about scenesters and vargy-come-lately's dragging a genre down- it happened with both Punk Rock and Death Metal. Now I have to research a band fairly thoroughly and rely on recommendations from some of the folks on this board I trust (like MZ) before I will plunk down my money on a CD as opposed to the long lost 'salad days' in the early 90's when it seemed that anything I picked up with an Earache logo was worth buying (Cathedral, Godflesh, Bolt Thrower, Napalm Death, etc... )

But I really think you selected the wrong band and thread with which to pick a fight.

I don't know too much about them, only what I have read in a short interview in Metal Maniacs and the samples linked abouve, but I hardly see them as a threat to crack eMpTy-Vee2 or any widespread acceptance of the genre. There are much worse and much bigger bands already accomplishing that.

The thing is the fanbase for bands that are "much worse and much bigger" such as Cradle of Filth and Dimmu Borgir is that they are targetted more towards 15 year olds. The popularity of the Xasthur/Leviathan trend falls within college/post-college (those recently out of college) kids. Fifteen year olds do not make bands (not of any significant quality or quantity) but however college/post-college kids do. I am not saying Xasthur or Leviathan are trendhoppers and don't believe in their music, and I am not saying they're the sell outs like In Flames and Arch Enemy, but they DO have popularity and DO happen to have a trend revolving around them. With the growth of this trend, it is only a matter of time before these college/post-college trendhoppers are creating their attempt at black metal.

A side note:
It is also interesting how most trendhoppers are not aware of following any trend what so ever. If you had talked to a high school Slipknot fan you would have stereotypically gotten a few "don't judge me, you don't know me" reponses. They would have whole hearted believed what they were reciting was a part of their individualism without realizing it was part of a trend. Of course taste to at leaset some degree is dependent on environment. An enlightened college kid may find new fasication with black metal from his friends and develop what he will believe is "taste," but of course this taste would be only a product of a trend. To a lesser degree you and I are influenced by exposure to bands recommended by those whom we have developed a relation with. This of course can also be subject as well as create some complex web of larger and smaller trends.

An enlightened college/post-college trendhopper can create acceptable music of a genre from a trend they have aquired. Do you remember when Shadow's Fall came out? Melodic death metal fans, blind to a trend happening, would often say Shadow's Fall were acceptable to melodic death metal. They were even seen as almost innovative for being Americans and creating their style of melodic death metal. Now this genre has continually been taken over by the college/post-college At The Gates worshipping trendhoppers who add their own hardcore (an earlier college/post-college trend) elements to it. How many Neurosis/Godflesh worship bands are popping up now thanks to Isis? How many <insert adjective here> grind bands are popping up now thanks to Pig Destroyer and Aghoraphobic Nosebleed? How soon will atmospheric black metal be polluted by this?

Regardless of how many TVs or CDs I throw out, trends that completely soil a genre cannot be ignored.