Metal Storm logo
Wolves in the Throne Room

Original post

Posted by Zombie, M.D., 18.05.2006 - 12:02
If you're into Weakling you should really enjoy this. Its a little too simmilar to Weakling at times, but they manage to pull it off very well.

http://www.wolvesinthethroneroom.com/menudo2.htm
15.09.2007 - 12:22
NECURATU

YOU're exploiting black metal. I believe a black metal record (well, not a killer cretinoid release of course) is something you should listen in the dead of the night under a wandering moon not at the office or in the car whatever. I don't see any other ambient proper for the magick Wolves In The Throne Room create.
----
When the sun rises I take my flock on the balks
When the moon rises I tell the woods good night
16.09.2007 - 23:51
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
Wolve's are a local band to herem I was pretty surprised to find out that there was a BM band in this odd town. They're not too bad, I have about half of one of their album's.. it's hard to find much stuff by them. I've missed them live a couple of time's here, and at the moment they are touring North America, but they are doing alright for themselves as I heard that they are signed to a Norwegian record label.

I've mentioned it before, but a really good NA BM band is Nordicwinter, I finally procured their/his album entitled "Threnody", very good stuff.
17.09.2007 - 09:06
Hembrom
Diabolic Priest
I pretty like the new album.
18.09.2007 - 00:11
Southern Wind
Account deleted
@Bittercold: I agree, they're exploiting black metal and their presenting the genre to some communities that hadn'0t really cared about it in the past, but so what??? black metal had exploited itself pathetically since the times of Burzum, it has ALWAYS taken advantage from extra-musical elements and it became the bitch of metal more than a decade again, but still some of us love black metal due to the fact that some incredibly good bands come from time to time, and one of those is certainly Wolves In The Throne Room.
18.09.2007 - 00:28
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
i honestly don't care one way or another. it was a sarcastic remark based upon the earlier longrunning discussion on this thread.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
18.09.2007 - 02:21
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Sarcasm is sometimes difficult to catch in forums, especially when most people here would had said so seriously... anyway, I guess I have to feel ridiculous now after responding seriously to a sarcastic quote
18.09.2007 - 17:26
Infurnace

I haven't got any of their cd's, but I read something about them. I believe it was about that these guys lived in a very primitive way, in a barn in the woods and growing their own food. The idea sounds really cool, so I guess the music must be really good too. Any albums you could recommend me?
18.09.2007 - 18:26
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Dont believe any of those stories, it's just among the lies that the band had built around it for self-promotion... they're actually all time touring, so it would be difficult to make that coherent with living in the woods growing their own food. Anyway... you should obviously go for the first album (Diadem Of The 12 Stars)
18.09.2007 - 19:15
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Guest on 18.09.2007 at 02:21

Sarcasm is sometimes difficult to catch in forums, especially when most people here would had said so seriously... anyway, I guess I have to feel ridiculous now after responding seriously to a sarcastic quote

no worries. i just figured most people would have seen the rather protracted discussion and that the "but... but... but..." opening my statement would have been big red sarcasm flags.

but as you point out, sarcasm when not ridiculously blatant can be easily missed or misconstrued in text format.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
20.09.2007 - 06:10
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
Written by Infurnace on 18.09.2007 at 17:26

I haven't got any of their cd's, but I read something about them. I believe it was about that these guys lived in a very primitive way, in a barn in the woods and growing their own food. The idea sounds really cool, so I guess the music must be really good too. Any albums you could recommend me?

Around here that's possible. This town (or allegid city, since it's the capital of Washington) is very hippy-like, it's a mix of hippies, and the late 80's or early 90's.. it's very bizzar.

Despite that Wolve's comment about them exploiting BM was sarcasm, there must be some truth to ir, or perhaps other's who agreed can tell me how they think Wolve's are exploiting the genre? Also, what is with the whole USBM bandwagon thing? I'm not crazy about the US having more BM band's due to the nature of the country itself... especially how I know of a BM band based in Florida that my wife use to hang out with, and in my opinion BM only seems like it is properly "understood" by people who live in the right kind of area.. which sound's very ignorant on my behalf.
25.09.2007 - 10:02
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Saw them live a few days ago, they were awesome musically, stage presence wise not so much, the lead singer/guitarist sort of stood to the side of the stage for some reason, but they still stood out as one of the 4/10 memorable bands there.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
02.10.2008 - 00:49
Mosquiller

Written by Mosquiller on 28.07.2008 at 15:59

Intellectual metal can fuck right off, when you get pseudo intellectual kiddies thinking they are somehow special and important it leads to crap like Wolves in the Throne Room and Deathspell Omega.

+
I was disappointed when I found out that Wolves in the Throne Room did not contain any actual wolves, and beyond that there was no throne room...
----
Written by Konrad on 10.12.2009 at 22:41

Hey, if you put your mind to something, you can accomplish it...just don't give up.
03.03.2009 - 23:19
TheBigRossowski

New shit has come to light man! I was quite surpised when I heard the new EP. I don't even know what to imagine from the upcomping album. The first song (A Looming Resonance)isn't even really black metal, why don't they have some extra tag to kind of...establish that fact.

Sometimes it is just like that with them though. They play some tribal sounds or whatever you would like to call it and THEN play black metal. A friend asked me what kind of music they played and that's what I had to say 'some kind of black metal'....which is the newest genre...of black metal. I know, you guys aren't privy to all this new shit.
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
07.03.2009 - 23:29
The Butt
Account deleted
I've heard a few songs here or there, and I thought they were kickass.

My favorite song thus far is the band's namesake song, from their first demo. Especially that really atmospheric intro.
08.03.2009 - 04:25
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
The best Black Metal band from Wshington state there is. That's not that many but this band is still very good
----
Coldgrits
09.03.2009 - 00:51
ItalktotheWind
Wood Troll
Definitely one of the best USBM bands. Two Diadems is just a fantastic piece that ranges many different emotions. The fact that they live their beliefs really adds to the honesty behind their music. And as far as "exploiting" black metal goes, well, I think that's just a bit ridiculous. I mean to exploit means to take advantage of, and how are they doing this? I am really confused as to what people mean by this. Given they are spreading black metal to a different crowd, but they are uncompromising in their presentation of black metal as an art, not a commodity as many bands of the day. Nonetheless this band is amazing and I really hope to see them live sometime.
----
"A witty saying proves nothing."
-Voltaire
09.03.2009 - 16:33
Scornful Curse

I have listened to them for the first time a few weeks ago and... surprisingly I was very impressed. Probably the best black metal band from US. I'm not a big fan of US bm scene so I didn't expect much. My mistake!
09.03.2009 - 16:49
Elio
Red Nightmare
I've already listened to both the new EP and album (this last one only once though). but nothing's better than 12 Diamonds.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
09.03.2009 - 20:42
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Elio on 09.03.2009 at 16:49

I've already listened to both the new EP and album (this last one only once though). but nothing's better than 12 Diamonds.

I disagree... imo Two Hunters is superior to 12 Diadems
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.03.2009 - 22:35
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 09.03.2009 at 20:42

right Diadems, not Diamonds...anyway that is their work I still have to listen
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
09.03.2009 - 23:15
ForeverDarkWoods

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 09.03.2009 at 20:42

I thought Two hunters was kinda generic. It wasn't that memorable, and it just seemed bland and uninspired, while borrowing way too many ideas from Burzum for it's own good. Diadem on the other hand had some nice Weakling worship going on, but with a more nature inspired feeling to it. I like Weakling, so that's always good.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
10.03.2009 - 15:23
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
I found a store that has all the WItTR albums. Even the new one. I can get it early! They also have a bunch of other cool Black, Doom, Ambient, and Drone releases. I LOVE finding new music stores!
----
Coldgrits
10.03.2009 - 17:48
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Written by -DC-002- on 10.03.2009 at 15:23

I found a store that has all the WItTR albums. Even the new one. I can get it early! They also have a bunch of other cool Black, Doom, Ambient, and Drone releases. I LOVE finding new music stores!

Share it, man.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
10.03.2009 - 18:00
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
Written by Lucas on 10.03.2009 at 17:48

Written by -DC-002- on 10.03.2009 at 15:23

Share it, man.

http://www.dissonantplane.com/

It deals a lot with local bands.
----
Coldgrits
11.03.2009 - 21:50
Galar
Wicked Mung
Sooo sooo good, and so underrated. I love these guys, I wonder how they would sound live. I'd imagine they are a better stuido band, but they are hella one!
----
YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID, SUCK A DICK
11.03.2009 - 22:30
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Galar on 11.03.2009 at 21:50

Sooo sooo good, and so underrated. I love these guys, I wonder how they would sound live. I'd imagine they are a better stuido band, but they are hella one!

They are actually a lot better live than on album. I have seen them a couple of times live now and every time they were better live than on album.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.03.2009 - 23:19
Galar
Wicked Mung
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 11.03.2009 at 22:30

Written by Galar on 11.03.2009 at 21:50

They are actually a lot better live than on album. I have seen them a couple of times live now and every time they were better live than on album.

I could see them being a good live band but...
I would imagine that they are better at a smaller scale venue than a big festival. Their genre is much more intimate at a small venue.
----
YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID, SUCK A DICK
12.03.2009 - 03:57
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Lol what band isn't better in a small venue

Dammit the album is taking too long to be released so I'm just gonna go to the CD store now and blow my money. I'll buy their new album later.
14.03.2009 - 14:16
Hyvaarin

Written by NECURATU on 15.09.2007 at 12:22

I believe a black metal record...is something you should listen in the dead of the night under a wandering moon...I don't see any other ambient proper for the magick Wolves In The Throne Room create.

Sorry, but this is hilariously fruity hahahaha.
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
15.03.2009 - 11:31
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
I have, Two Hunters. It's a great album. They really give you a good atmosphere. It has a good ambiance to it while still remaining very Black Metal. The only bad thing about the album is with four songs, It is waaaay to short. It doesn't matter if the songs are long. It's still going to sound like a four track album :
----
Coldgrits