Metal Storm logo
Dethklok

Original post

Posted by Troy Killjoy, 17.12.2011 - 08:39
And finally, the moment you've all been waiting for.

Dethklok on Metal Storm!

Feel free to discuss the decision, but don't forget it's a band thread so talk about the music and the show too.
19.12.2011 - 08:31
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 19.12.2011 at 08:23
For every Metalstormer that complains about a band not being true metal, 10 more complain about people not being "open minded" enough to accept whatever mainstream band is being discussed.

I don't think that's limited to Metal Storm. That's more or less how the internet works when it comes to ratings and mainstream vs underground.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
19.12.2011 - 08:36
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Troy Killjoy on 19.12.2011 at 08:31
I don't think that's limited to Metal Storm. That's more or less how the internet works when it comes to ratings and mainstream vs underground.

Nope, on the internet in general, it's more the other way around. Though both stances are just as pathetic as each other, when all's said and done.
20.12.2011 - 21:53
DragonSavior X10

Glad to see it finally happen. I always thought Dethklok was a catchy band. The show is awesome too.
20.12.2011 - 21:56
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Angelic Storm on 19.12.2011 at 08:36
Nope, on the internet in general, it's more the other way around. Though both stances are just as pathetic as each other, when all's said and done.

English scholars should look into turning "irony" into a metallurgical term.

Until then, I shall use it to describe this post.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
20.12.2011 - 22:42
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by vezzy on 20.12.2011 at 21:56
English scholars should look into turning "irony" into a metallurgical term.

Until then, I shall use it to describe this post.

There's nothing ironic about it whatsoever, ergo, you're just a complete idiot.
20.12.2011 - 22:46
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Angelic Storm on 20.12.2011 at 22:42

, you're just a complete idiot.

That is just stating the obvious. Stevie Wonder and Ray Charles can even see that
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.12.2011 - 22:49
vezzy
Stallmanite
Oh, I get it. Blindness joke.

Except Ray Charles is kind of dead...
----
20.12.2011 - 22:49
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 20.12.2011 at 22:46
That is just stating the obvious. Stevie Wonder and Ray Charles can even see that

I can't really add anything more to that, you are spot on! If Ray Charles were alive, he could definitely see it.
20.12.2011 - 22:56
vezzy
Stallmanite
You kind of missed the point that you've posted plenty of the aforementioned "open-minded arguments", but whatever, who am I to know, I'm just a Balkan kid.

Fucking Berlin congress of 1878.
----
20.12.2011 - 22:58
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by vezzy on 20.12.2011 at 22:56
You kind of missed the point that you've posted plenty of the aforementioned "open-minded arguments", but whatever...

I'm not normally one to "take sides", but I agree there was definitely some irony there.

Anyway, that's getting off-topic.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
20.12.2011 - 23:10
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Troy Killjoy on 20.12.2011 at 22:58
I'm not normally one to "take sides", but I agree there was definitely some irony there.

Anyway, that's getting off-topic.

Okay then, explain exactly how that post is in any way "ironic".
20.12.2011 - 23:16
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Angelic Storm on 20.12.2011 at 23:10

It's not anything I'm not guilty of either. It goes back to Void's post about the whole "open-minded vs elitist" discussion. You seem to voice your opinion quite often on that matter, often complaining about the people who complain.

I dunno, I think that's ironic.
----
20.12.2011 - 23:27
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Troy Killjoy on 20.12.2011 at 23:16

Written by Angelic Storm on 20.12.2011 at 23:10

It's not anything I'm not guilty of either. It goes back to Void's post about the whole "open-minded vs elitist" discussion. You seem to voice your opinion quite often on that matter, often complaining about the people who complain.

I dunno, I think that's ironic.

There's two very big holes in that being an adequate explanation for calling that "ironic". One, I've never said I have a problem with anyone voicing their opinion on the matter. Me questioning someone's hypocrisy about the issue is not the same as saying nobody should be complaining about it. Everyone has the right to do that if they wish.

Secondly, calling what I said "ironic", would only make logical sense if I was guilty of the same things I'm objecting to. (In other words, coming down on the "open-mindedness" side of the debate) Seeing as I don't come down on either side and my view of the issue is completely impartial, then there's no irony at all, in me calling out both sides as being equally as moronic as each other.
21.12.2011 - 00:36
RavenKing

I've never seen Angelic Storm blame anyone for some lack of "open-mindedness", as far as I can remember.
It is not an argument she uses.

And about 'complaining about those who complain', I've only seen her mention that some people will complain about bands or bash them only to 'look cool or tr00', and it is true that some people bash mainstream bands only to look cool but probably listen to them. This is, as she said, hypocritical.

Poserism can take many forms and false elitism (sorry, I don't know a better term) is as pathetic as fanboyism because it is only making you look for what you are not.

In short, jumping on any wagon, being 'underground' or 'mainstream', only to be part of the gang, is lame because it is the opposite of assuming yourself and your own choices. It's a conformist attitude and you betray yourself by adopting it.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
21.12.2011 - 00:50
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Okay, it was an opinion from someone looking in from the outside.

Back on topic please.
----
21.12.2011 - 02:40
Mattybu

Well it's about time. Dethklok has released two solid, FUN albums. Emphasis on the fun because you can't take them too seriously but they still have awesome melodies, well produced, I just fucking enjoy Dethklok so much.

Plus I find the TV show hilarious.
21.12.2011 - 05:12
bj_waters

While I know that this was a bit of a debate that went on here for a few years, I had no idea that it had been added until today, which is pretty sweet. They have a page over in MA and I see nothing wrong in adding them to the database. You know, I think I tried to add Dethklok in the suggestions once and it got kind of buried. I can't remember, though. Maybe one of the admins can correct me on this.

Anyways, Dethklok. Fun stuff. I still regularly listen to "Awaken," "Murder Train a'Coming," and "Dethfans". Does anyone know if they're doing a third album with the beginning of the fourth season? That's kind of been their thing, IIRC (First album came out with the second season, second album came out with the third).
21.12.2011 - 05:25
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by bj_waters on 21.12.2011 at 05:12
Maybe one of the admins can correct me on this.

They were initially deleted and then re-added to the blacklist until we voted again and came to the decision to include them.
----
21.12.2011 - 07:58
BlueMobius
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 21.12.2011 at 05:25

Written by bj_waters on 21.12.2011 at 05:12
Maybe one of the admins can correct me on this.

They were initially deleted and then re-added to the blacklist until we voted again and came to the decision to include them.

When you speak of this voting, even though y'all are all on computers around the world, I imagine a meeting similar to the Council of Elrond in the LOTR.
21.12.2011 - 14:27
vezzy
Stallmanite
More like an NWO meeting, if you ask me.

----
21.12.2011 - 22:48
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by vezzy on 21.12.2011 at 14:27
More like an NWO meeting, if you ask me.

Pretty much like that but with more bloodorgies...
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
24.12.2011 - 12:24
Slayer666

Kind of odd to include them here... Marlyn Manson was also blacklisted but eventually included.
Any particular reason for this whiting of the black list?
24.12.2011 - 21:32
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Slayer666 on 24.12.2011 at 12:24
Any particular reason for this whiting of the black list?

We took a re-vote for Dethklok. I wanted to see where we stood and if our collective opinion was different from a year ago.

As for Manson - we didn't really vote but it just seemed wrong to have them blacklisted. Some will argue they aren't metal (alternative or industrial) but they've at least got a hard enough sound to be here if Alice Cooper's here.
----
15.10.2012 - 23:43
JÄY
Metal slave
Glad this band was added....I like the new album (releases tomorrow)