Metal Storm logo
The Universe

Original post

Posted by , 15.10.2006 - 08:17
No way, there is no thread about the universe in Metalstorm? Was there ever one?

Anyway, the universe is always a great thing to talk about as it always sparks up many debates. I personally beleive that our universe is part of a galaxy that is a part of many galaxies that is part of many nebulas, etc... that exist inside of a layer (a molecular outer film that is very thick and is very hot) that seperates us from other nebulas that also have layers around them; you could call them shields if you want. Basically, that everything inside of our layer would consist of humanoid life. There would thus be multiple constructs of this sort orbiting around that hold different alien lifeforms all made up of a collection of nebulas. All matter around these great orbiting constructs would be simply nothing; not even space; just empty white space. Another arguement one could further get into is that there is one great being, even greater then God, who would control all of these orbiting contructs of multple alien lifeform, including our own, which would doubt my beleif in God very much. I would pawn God off to a being much more powerful then himself who controls all layered nebulas of alien lifeforms outside of our own plane (but that's not a discussion to be held in here...maybe...maybe not...)

Discuss...
26.11.2007 - 19:06
Pinusar
Account deleted
Written by b0000mst1ck on 26.11.2007 at 02:18

Written by Guest on 25.11.2007 at 22:18

Hm, it is quite an interesting topic. If universe is expanding, then what was in the space, where universe hadn't yet expanded, before it expanded there.

Like at the expense of what does it expand? (I think it is hard to give certain answers to such questions but everyone can give their opinion/speculate.)

i'd say nothing. scientists still haven't figured out all aspects of the big bang, let alone what (if anything) existed before it. actually, we'll probably never know.

and as far as expansion, there aren't opinions or speculations, it's been proven that the universe IS expanding. it has been since the big bang (extremely slowly), and it'll keep expanding until it either bumps into something else, or reverses through the big bump, then crunch. at that point the universe will revert back to what it was before the big bang.

Ok, by speculation I didn't mean expansion itself but what lies beyond universe. I think it is hard to say for certain.
26.11.2007 - 20:34
b0000mst1ck

Written by Guest on 26.11.2007 at 19:06

Written by b0000mst1ck on 26.11.2007 at 02:18

Written by Guest on 25.11.2007 at 22:18

Hm, it is quite an interesting topic. If universe is expanding, then what was in the space, where universe hadn't yet expanded, before it expanded there.

Like at the expense of what does it expand? (I think it is hard to give certain answers to such questions but everyone can give their opinion/speculate.)

i'd say nothing. scientists still haven't figured out all aspects of the big bang, let alone what (if anything) existed before it. actually, we'll probably never know.

and as far as expansion, there aren't opinions or speculations, it's been proven that the universe IS expanding. it has been since the big bang (extremely slowly), and it'll keep expanding until it either bumps into something else, or reverses through the big bump, then crunch. at that point the universe will revert back to what it was before the big bang.

Ok, by speculation I didn't mean expansion itself but what lies beyond universe. I think it is hard to say for certain.

my fault. but yeah, i know what you mean. it's mind-boggling just thinking about it.
03.12.2007 - 12:00
ChasingEuphoria
Account deleted
i really think theres no end to universe just like the concept of infinite with numbers. i mean i dont understant how it couldnt be, is there supposed to be like a brick wall at the end of it?
03.12.2007 - 18:54
Pinusar
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 03.12.2007 at 12:00

i really think theres no end to universe just like the concept of infinite with numbers. i mean i dont understant how it couldnt be, is there supposed to be like a brick wall at the end of it?

Not necessarily a brick wall. Earth might also seem infinite to someone who doesn't know that it is round. Maybe universe bends into some kind of circle of something so you'll eventually arrive at the place you started of if you move forward all the time.

Now I'm not saying it is like that, and if I had to take a guess I would say its infinite too but it was just an example.

Also it has been mentioned in the thread that it is proven that universe is infinite, although I haven't researched the matter myself.
03.12.2007 - 21:31
ChasingEuphoria
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 03.12.2007 at 18:54

Not necessarily a brick wall. Earth might also seem infinite to someone who doesn't know that it is round. Maybe universe bends into some kind of circle of something so you'll eventually arrive at the place you started of if you move forward all the time.

Now I'm not saying it is like that, and if I had to take a guess I would say its infinite too but it was just an example.

Also it has been mentioned in the thread that it is proven that universe is infinite, although I haven't researched the matter myself.

im no scientist but that theory does not make any sense. universe is not like earth at all
06.12.2007 - 11:05
b0000mst1ck

@pinusar: it wasn't me that said the universe was proven to be infinite. it very well may end at some point, although i doubt it. now SPACE, on the other hand, has to be infinite. yes, our universe may come to an end (size-wise), but that doesn't mean it ends because it had reached the end of space. if anything, it will bump into ANOTHER universe, causing a crunch in mass expansion. if there is a point in space where no universe exists that doesn't mean it isn't there. it simply continues on as a pitch-black nothingness.

here's how i look at it: our solar system is so large, yet it doesn't even take up a fraction of our observable universe. the universe we exist in hasn't even been fully discovered or examined yet. if it's THAT large, it has to exist as something that isn't even a fraction of ALL of space.

i DID say it's almost been proven that there are multiple universes, so that's where you may have misinterpreted what i said. that goes back to our universe possibly bumping into another one and crunching.
06.12.2007 - 12:02
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by Guest on 03.12.2007 at 21:31

im no scientist but that theory does not make any sense. universe is not like earth at all

it does make a sense...but you have to understand a lot of physics (and especially quantum physics) to be able to decipher "how it works exactly"

btw.: you know "Klein bottle" or "Möbius strip"?
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

06.12.2007 - 19:55
ChasingEuphoria
Account deleted
Written by Ellrohir on 06.12.2007 at 12:02

Written by Guest on 03.12.2007 at 21:31

no

it does make a sense...but you have to understand a lot of physics (and especially quantum physics) to be able to decipher "how it works exactly"

btw.: you know "Klein bottle" or "Möbius strip"?
06.12.2007 - 22:02
Pinusar
Account deleted
Written by b0000mst1ck on 06.12.2007 at 11:05

@pinusar: it wasn't me that said the universe was proven to be infinite. it very well may end at some point, although i doubt it. now SPACE, on the other hand, has to be infinite. yes, our universe may come to an end (size-wise), but that doesn't mean it ends because it had reached the end of space. if anything, it will bump into ANOTHER universe, causing a crunch in mass expansion. if there is a point in space where no universe exists that doesn't mean it isn't there. it simply continues on as a pitch-black nothingness.

here's how i look at it: our solar system is so large, yet it doesn't even take up a fraction of our observable universe. the universe we exist in hasn't even been fully discovered or examined yet. if it's THAT large, it has to exist as something that isn't even a fraction of ALL of space.

i DID say it's almost been proven that there are multiple universes, so that's where you may have misinterpreted what i said. that goes back to our universe possibly bumping into another one and crunching.

Sorry, I misunderstood what you said earlier, but now I think I understand. Anyway, it wouldn't probably do me any bad to read a little bit about this matter before commenting on the theory about bumping into another universe.

@Chris Amber: Yeah, as far as I know, it has quite a lot to do with quantum physics. I myself don't know much about it, but that was just a theory I had heard somewhere.
06.12.2007 - 23:57
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
2ChasingEuphoria : Klein bottle and Möbius strip are the most known mathematical "anomalies" - shapes with no begin and no end (you start somewhere, go round the whole shape and end in the starting point w/o reaching the borders

maybe you can know also the Tribar (Penrose triangle)

and those are just simple structures designed and defined in 2D space (though their visualzation came in 3D) and no physics here...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

07.12.2007 - 04:23
b0000mst1ck

Written by Guest on 06.12.2007 at 22:02

Written by b0000mst1ck on 06.12.2007 at 11:05

Sorry, I misunderstood what you said earlier, but now I think I understand. Anyway, it wouldn't probably do me any bad to read a little bit about this matter before commenting on the theory about bumping into another universe.

@Chris Amber: Yeah, as far as I know, it has quite a lot to do with quantum physics. I myself don't know much about it, but that was just a theory I had heard somewhere.

seriously, if you're interested in learning about it i'd suggest reading up on it. i know the whole wikipedia debate always comes up when i mention it, but you can find some very solid articles about it. try searching for mass expansion or multiverse on there.
20.05.2008 - 10:55
Aei Ontos
Account deleted
Well, I was wondering, if the universe would heat up, wouldn't the sides start bubbling? I mean, we would feel it somewhere won't we?
20.05.2008 - 19:05
Harmonic
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 20.05.2008 at 10:55

Well, I was wondering, if the universe would heat up, wouldn't the sides start bubbling? I mean, we would feel it somewhere won't we?

The universe has no sides. It's similar to how the earth has no edge, the difference being that the space-time geometry of the universe is not as simple as a sphere.
22.05.2008 - 15:23
Aei Ontos
Account deleted
I know, but according to many theories the universe is expanding, so, it must have sides on the places where it is expanding, it is more there than just some thin gasses.
23.05.2008 - 20:42
Aei Ontos
Account deleted
The doppler effect had something to do with sirens right? With light, the wave of light gets stretched or so?
I think you interpretted it well, but, neither do I fully understand it, mostly the formulas cause me problems. But, I was wondering, if the universte would be stretching up, if it would be just like with a ball or so than the stretching on the outside would be bigger on the outside and the largest amount of matter would be on the outside also, wouldn't it? I mean, with expansion the largest amount of matter is in the middle, but with stretching it should be on the outside. Stretching is to keep matter, that flows to the outside, in.
26.05.2008 - 15:07
Aei Ontos
Account deleted
Thanks.
28.05.2008 - 22:57
Freezer

I am quite fascinated by universe, even though I don't know very much about it. I've read some interesting theories in this discussion, and agree with who says that it is likely to be "infinite"
----
We fly through this godless endeavor, we try to explain the black forever
30.05.2008 - 09:46
Aei Ontos
Account deleted
cool
15.06.2008 - 17:58
belisarius

i actually don't believe it's infinite, i have another theory: the universe is one big mass of atoms, dark matter, etc. and it has some kind of blanket made out of energy. that blanket can stretch when something bounces into it but after a long long while the blanket will take all the energy out of the thing and reverse it. in that way the universe is not really infinite but not really finite either.
----
I am a God in the deepest corner of my mind
17.06.2008 - 16:27
Aei Ontos
Account deleted
Written by belisarius on 15.06.2008 at 17:58

i actually don't believe it's infinite, i have another theory: the universe is one big mass of atoms, dark matter, etc. and it has some kind of blanket made out of energy. that blanket can stretch when something bounces into it but after a long long while the blanket will take all the energy out of the thing and reverse it. in that way the universe is not really infinite but not really finite either.

where does it stretch into then?
21.06.2008 - 15:37
belisarius

Written by Guest on 17.06.2008 at 16:27

Written by belisarius on 15.06.2008 at 17:58

where does it stretch into then?

into nothing, ithe blanket is like -273.15°C or the speed of light. it's not possible to reach.
----
21.06.2008 - 21:13
Aei Ontos
Account deleted
I can't understand it. Maybe I'm not intelligent enough...
21.06.2008 - 21:34
belisarius

it's unreachable. like nothing can reach the speed of light and -273.15°C is impossible. if the blanket stretches then you are always a little bit too far to touch it, so there can't be anything beyond it because that is itself not reachable.
----
21.06.2008 - 22:14
Aei Ontos
Account deleted
It is not reachable, but it isn't there either? So, than the finite universe will be stretching into infinity.
22.06.2008 - 10:16
belisarius

no it would stretch, but it would also bounce back, so it will always keep its shape more or less
----
22.06.2008 - 20:52
Aei Ontos
Account deleted
It bounces back, but what would keep it from stretching further? Can it keep itself from stretching because it can only stretch until a certain point. Is it a way like an elastic, bounce back or break? And what makes this finity, why doesn't it stretch further than it does now? And how is it possible that this wouldn't pull the planets and solar systems out of their astronomical cycle, as with stretching the place where it stretches from would form a vacuum. It makes me remain with a lot of questions. I know that it is impossible now to answer all these questions. But could you give some theories how it could be possible?
28.06.2008 - 16:25
belisarius

is it a way like an elastic, bounce back or break? it is like an elastic, but since it is in itself energy and it keeps all the energy in the universe together, it can't be broken.

why doesn't it stretch further than it does now? it would keep its own shape because only mass, pressure or kinetic energy can stretch it. again like an elastic.

And how is it possible that this wouldn't pull the planets and solar systems out of their astronomical cycle, as with stretching the place where it stretches from would form a vacuum? Maybe it does, because galaxies and solar systems are constantly moving (there's even a theory that all mass extinction on earth have to do with this moving of our galaxy and our solar system). and what you mean by the vacuum i don't understand.
----
29.06.2008 - 14:53
Aei Ontos
Account deleted
About the Vacuum. When you have a football, or a baloon and you suck all the possible air out of it. Than it will becaome smaller untill all the air is gone. A vacuum is no more than emptiness. When outside the universe there would be nothing I think it is likely to suspect that there would be an vacuum. A vacuum wants to be filled (like with a baloon). So, that vacuum would pull from the outside of the universe to pull the universe into that vacuum to fill up that vacuum. Is it clear enough so?
29.06.2008 - 15:38
belisarius

yes, thanx. but it wouldn't be a vacuum. it would be like an impossible number, like -300°C. We could imagine it only like a number, but that number would be a lie because it's impossible. (when something would have a temperature of -300°C, then it would have a negative volume and that's impossible.
----
01.07.2008 - 18:19
Aei Ontos
Account deleted
Written by belisarius on 29.06.2008 at 15:38

yes, thanx. but it wouldn't be a vacuum. it would be like an impossible number, like -300°C. We could imagine it only like a number, but that number would be a lie because it's impossible. (when something would have a temperature of -300°C, then it would have a negative volume and that's impossible.

So, before there would be nothing (really nothing, not a vacuum) and after stretching and bouncing back once again there would be really nothing. it is very hard to imagine, but that happens more with me when it comes to science .