Metal Storm logo
Best Drumming Performance in Xtreme Metal Albums

20.12.2011 - 21:14
3rdWorldFuckface
Account deleted
I love metal drumming. Many metal drummers possess skills that are very original & unique and cannot be found in any other kind of music genre. Borrowing styles from hardcore punk,free jazz,blues, Avant-garde etc, there is a lot of variety to be found in Metal drumming.
A lot of factors goes into making it good like originality, proficiency, dynamics , Techniques, Production Style (I mostly prefer slick production styles since thats what i started out with) etc. So What do you think are the best drummed extreme metal albums ever??

Eg. Death - Human
Kronos - Titans Awakening
The Red Chord - Fused Together In Revolving Doors
Hate Eternal - I,Monarch
Viraemia - Viraemia EP
Fleshgod Apocalypse - Mafia EP
20.12.2011 - 23:00
InnerSelf
proofread free
Mayhem - Ordo ad Chao : Hellhameer is basically drumming to pure chaos, one of the most impressive drumming performances from one of the best extreme drummers
Ulcerate - The Destroyer of All : this has the same feeling that OaC has, also brilliant
Mastodon - Remission : you can read the album's MS review for further details
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
21.12.2011 - 00:35
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by InnerSelf on 20.12.2011 at 23:00

Mayhem - Ordo ad Chao : Hellhameer is basically drumming to pure chaos, one of the most impressive drumming performances from one of the best extreme drummers
Ulcerate - The Destroyer of All : this has the same feeling that OaC has, also brilliant

I was about to post those... Then again,Mayhem has always good drums but OaC is more special considering the production.
Other drums I think are SICK:

* !T.O.O.H.! - Rad a Trest (Order and Punishment): Delicious technical drumming that is not a show off. There's nothing more to add here: That guy is perfect, not missing a single beat.
* Ahab - The Call Of The Wretched Sea: "Hold on Rod! How is a doom drummer impressive? He's just slow..." Well, THIS GUY isn't that slow... His drumming is impressive, really varied and thanks to the production it comes out as simply immense, water waves just hitting at you.
* Death: I'll just say "Intro from: Scavenger Of Human Sorrow". That is all.
*Dissection - Storm of the Light's Bane: Incredible versatile and varied drumming, basically giving a fuck you to just doing blastbeat the whole time like too many black metal bands.
* Deathspell Omega - Si Monumentum Requires, Circumspice (or any album with their less traditional BM sound): Another jaw-dropping BM drummer. Imagine an octopus... Who doesn't have 8 tentacles but 11 and his friends make fun of him but he doesn't give a fuck so he'll man the fuck up and play the shit out of those acuatic drums... That's how good it is.
* Immolation - Close To A World Below: Now that we are talking about octopuses, This man is closer to Cthulu or something. It says a whole fucking lot if the drums steal the show instead of the riffs in a Death Metal album for me. It's just in-fuckin-sane.
* Neurosis - Through Silver In Blood: Tribal, intense and highly hipnotic drums. Perfect for the album and genre.
* Pig Destroyer - Pretty much everything: If there's just one guitar and drums, both have to be perfect... Which they are, nuff' said. That's how grindcore drumming should be.

That's about it from the top of my head.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
21.12.2011 - 00:47
RavenKing

Proscriptor on the new Absu album.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
21.12.2011 - 00:49
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
^ What he said. Only on pretty much any Absu album.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
21.12.2011 - 00:53
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by RavenKing on 21.12.2011 at 00:47

Proscriptor on the new Absu album.

Totally missed that one, yeah... His work on Absu and recent Melechesh is incredible.
----
Rod, let me love you.
21.12.2011 - 00:56
RavenKing

Written by Troy Killjoy on 21.12.2011 at 00:49

I just find his drumming more insane than ever on the new album. But yes, his drumming is pretty much insane on all albums since "The Sun Of Tiphareth".
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
21.12.2011 - 01:49
MesiasDesmorphus

The Stench of Redemption
Litany
Blessed Are the Sick
None So Vile
Primal Massacre. . . .
that is all I can think of at the moment
21.12.2011 - 04:15
3rdWorldFuckface
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 21.12.2011 at 00:35

* Ahab - The Call Of The Wretched Sea: "Hold on Rod! How is a doom drummer impressive? He's just slow..." Well, THIS GUY isn't that slow... His drumming is impressive, really varied and thanks to the production it comes out as simply immense, water waves just hitting at you.

Great.. And they r just not doom..... they r Funeral Doom.I will check them. I would also like to note that drumming on Salome's "Terminal" album was also brilliant.
21.12.2011 - 10:53
The Turbanator

Keep Of Kalessin - Armada
!T.O.O.H! - Rad A Trest
Nile
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
21.12.2011 - 11:51
Genghis Kal
Account deleted
I love Nicke Andersson's drumming on the first two Entombed albums and Wolverine Blues. It's quite simple and obviously it's Swedish death metal but he has his own style.
Fenriz on A Blaze in the Northern Sky, especially Kathaarian Life Code. Again it's quite simple but his drumming fits and it's a great perfmormance, he really pounds the skins.
Flo Mounier on Cryptopsy's first two. If you want to show off, this is the kind of music to do it with.

Hellhammer gets a lot of praise but I think he's overrated.
22.12.2011 - 03:50
LewsTherin

Kai Hato in Wintersun.
22.12.2011 - 17:38
Paz
Nuclear Cowboy
"Elvenefris" by Lykathé (Tomas Corn is a freak).
22.12.2011 - 20:37
3rdWorldFuckface
Account deleted
Written by Paz on 22.12.2011 at 17:38

"Elvenefris" by Lykathé (Tomas Corn is a freak).

Interesting drum sound in that record.While the drumming is very good,I think the snare drum sounds weird (not the bad kind of weird). It is played to sound like a folk drum or something like that.
22.12.2011 - 21:04
3rdWorldFuckface
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 21.12.2011 at 00:49

Written by RavenKing on 21.12.2011 at 00:56

I just find his drumming more insane than ever on the new album. But yes, his drumming is pretty much insane on all albums since "The Sun Of Tiphareth".

Great drumming... Black thrash ? Mayb, but most of the parts are thrash style with occassional blasts. Excellent and nice production too.. but i think Fleshgod Apocalypse gave us the most devastating and insane drumming performance this year via Francesco Paoli.
I was really expecting that Deconstruction by DTP wud be the most insane with two brutal drummers on that record, but was really disappointed as i was expecting something like The New Black 2.0 but the album was in the vein of recent DTP records.
22.12.2011 - 23:27
MesiasDesmorphus

One can't forget Destroyer 666's drummer!! whatever his name is. . .
22.12.2011 - 23:49
Misfit74

Krzysztof Saran on Deivos' - Demiurge Of The Void and/or Gospel Of Maggots. Pounding savagery with intricate bell work and wood blocks, too! I've heard nobody better or keep my attention on the fantastic drumming better than this in all of Metal (in this case Death Metal/Brutal Death Metal).
23.12.2011 - 01:09
Paz
Nuclear Cowboy
Krzysztof "Wizun" Saran is great! Check out his main project Abusiveness (black metal) and album "Trioditis" from 2010.

From Poland I recommend you also "Terrorfront" by Infernal War, Stormblast destroys everything around.
23.12.2011 - 02:21
Savopipo

Let's not forget "Kjetil Manheim" he was part of coming up with the drumstyle that "Hellhammer" later made "typical"!
----
Check Tystnad out at http://tystnad.bandcamp.com
23.12.2011 - 06:52
3rdWorldFuckface
Account deleted
Written by Misfit74 on 22.12.2011 at 23:49

Krzysztof Saran on Deivos' - Demiurge Of The Void and/or Gospel Of Maggots. Pounding savagery with intricate bell work and wood blocks, too! I've heard nobody better or keep my attention on the fantastic drumming better than this in all of Metal (in this case Death Metal/Brutal Death Metal).

" intricate bell work and wood blocks" ...that caught my attention. I heard one song in Youtube...didnt hear anything lik that..mayb i hav to check out the full record. ANd sure i will. Thanks 4 d info.
23.12.2011 - 19:28
king_matt

Derek Roddy on Hate Eternal's I, Monarch.
----
http://www.last.fm/user/King_Matt
23.12.2011 - 21:34
Daniell
_爱情_
Most of you seem to think that fast drumming = impressive and great. Many of you mention some "brutal death" drummers, black metal drummers etc. Hate Eternal - the guy wants to kill his drum set. All right, but he isn't impressive at all, he is dull. The same about Proscriptor - the guy layers his drums often. Also, Pete Sandoval is overrated. He is fast, but he doesn't have much more to offer. Check out "Drum check" from "Heretic". That was supposed to be his show-off moment. And what does he do? He tries to be as fast as possible. Not a single interesting drum fill or time signature. Meh.

Just a few favourites of mine from a few, not necessarily extreme, metal sub-genres:

1. Thrash - Having heard thousands of metal albums, I must say that the most impressive drumming I've ever heard is on Slayer's "South of Heaven." What Dave Lombardo does in "Live Undead" and "Behind the Crooked Cross" is a brilliant display of genius speaking through drums. All the fills are played and performed with such daring imagination and creative courage that I can't imagine anything better.

2. Black metal - Hellhammer's performance on "Nexus Polaris" by Covenant. What he does with time signatures and time changes is simply amazing. Check "Planetary Black Elements".

3. Power metal. Ingo Schwichtenberg's drumming on Helloween's "Keeper of the Seven Keys Part 2". Again, extremely creative, inventive and varied. Check out "Eagle Fly Free".
24.12.2011 - 03:28
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Daniell on 23.12.2011 at 21:34

Most of you seem to think that fast drumming = impressive and great. Many of you mention some "brutal death" drummers, black metal drummers etc.

I obviously agree that fast drumming is not the same as impressive/great. Ain't seeing nothing wrong with the brutal death and black I posted though I always give credit for varied drumming which is something that bands like Immolation, Pig Destroyer, Deathspell Omega or Dissection (old) have.
----
Rod, let me love you.
24.12.2011 - 09:46
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by X-Ray Rod on 24.12.2011 at 03:28

Most of you seem to think that fast drumming = impressive and great. Many of you mention some "brutal death" drummers, black metal drummers etc.

I obviously agree that fast drumming is not the same as impressive/great. Ain't seeing nothing wrong with the brutal death and black I posted though I always give credit for varied drumming which is something that bands like Immolation, Pig Destroyer, Deathspell Omega or Dissection (old) have.

I definitely agree with you about Dissection
24.12.2011 - 17:26
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Daniell on 24.12.2011 at 09:46
I definitely agree with you about Dissection

Yeah, the drumming on Storm of the Light's Bane is definitely something that a lot of BM drummers should take notes from.I love the others I mentioned (like Immolation and D.S.O.) mostly because of the incredible fillers they do in between riffs and stuff. In case of bands like Pig Destroyer or !T.O.O.H.! it's because the dude tries to stay away from the typical grindcore blastbeat (which is something that is still pretty much written in stone so to speak).
----
Rod, let me love you.
24.12.2011 - 18:30
Elio
Red Nightmare
I'd like to add Ben Koller's performance in one of my favourite albums ever, Converge's Jane Doe.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
24.12.2011 - 18:53
Genghis Kal
Account deleted

Most of you seem to think that fast drumming = impressive and great. Many of you mention some "brutal death" drummers, black metal drummers etc. Hate Eternal - the guy wants to kill his drum set. All right, but he isn't impressive at all, he is dull. The same about Proscriptor - the guy layers his drums often. Also, Pete Sandoval is overrated. He is fast, but he doesn't have much more to offer. Check out "Drum check" from "Heretic". That was supposed to be his show-off moment. And what does he do? He tries to be as fast as possible. Not a single interesting drum fill or time signature. Meh.

Just a few favourites of mine from a few, not necessarily extreme, metal sub-genres:

1. Thrash - Having heard thousands of metal albums, I must say that the most impressive drumming I've ever heard is on Slayer's "South of Heaven." What Dave Lombardo does in "Live Undead" and "Behind the Crooked Cross" is a brilliant display of genius speaking through drums. All the fills are played and performed with such daring imagination and creative courage that I can't imagine anything better.

2. Black metal - Hellhammer's performance on "Nexus Polaris" by Covenant. What he does with time signatures and time changes is simply amazing. Check "Planetary Black Elements".

3. Power metal. Ingo Schwichtenberg's drumming on Helloween's "Keeper of the Seven Keys Part 2". Again, extremely creative, inventive and varied. Check out "Eagle Fly Free".

I never got what the big deal was with Pete Sandoval either. He sounds like *generic death metal drummer*.

I always loved the drums on South of Heaven (the song). The fills in the build up before the main verse when the tempo is picking up are awesome, despite not being particularly skillful or fast. It's all about dynamics.

Regarding Hellhammer, his drumming on De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas pisses me off so much and I can't forgive him. He just shows off all the time with fills and extra bass notes and what that album really needed was some simple ritualistic pounding, especially on Freezing Moon. He does his best to ruin it and almost does for me. He's definately better suited to music that allows him to feed his ego.
24.12.2011 - 18:55
The Turbanator

Woods Of Desolation's "Torn Beyond Reason" has pretty good drumming.
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
24.12.2011 - 19:14
3rdWorldFuckface
Account deleted
Written by The Turbanator on 24.12.2011 at 18:55

Woods Of Desolation's "Torn Beyond Reason" has pretty good drumming.

Good but nothing creative or original or outstanding in it.
24.12.2011 - 19:24
Elio
Red Nightmare

da fuq
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.