Metal Storm logo
Best Drumming Performance in Xtreme Metal Albums

Original post

Posted by , 20.12.2011 - 21:14
I love metal drumming. Many metal drummers possess skills that are very original & unique and cannot be found in any other kind of music genre. Borrowing styles from hardcore punk,free jazz,blues, Avant-garde etc, there is a lot of variety to be found in Metal drumming.
A lot of factors goes into making it good like originality, proficiency, dynamics , Techniques, Production Style (I mostly prefer slick production styles since thats what i started out with) etc. So What do you think are the best drummed extreme metal albums ever??

Eg. Death - Human
Kronos - Titans Awakening
The Red Chord - Fused Together In Revolving Doors
Hate Eternal - I,Monarch
Viraemia - Viraemia EP
Fleshgod Apocalypse - Mafia EP
24.12.2011 - 19:39
The Turbanator

Written by Guest on 24.12.2011 at 19:14

Written by The Turbanator on 24.12.2011 at 18:55

Woods Of Desolation's "Torn Beyond Reason" has pretty good drumming.

Good but nothing creative or original or outstanding in it.

Yeah but it still makes me take out my chopsticks and bash my table, with me pretending I'm Tim Yatras.
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
24.12.2011 - 21:12
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Elio on 24.12.2011 at 19:24
da fuq

Amazing control, timing, speed, technicality... That was awesome.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
24.12.2011 - 22:12
3rdWorldFuckface
Account deleted
Written by The Turbanator on 24.12.2011 at 19:39

Written by Guest on 24.12.2011 at 19:14

Written by The Turbanator on 24.12.2011 at 18:55

Woods Of Desolation's "Torn Beyond Reason" has pretty good drumming.

Good but nothing creative or original or outstanding in it.

Yeah but it still makes me take out my chopsticks and bash my table, with me pretending I'm Tim Yatras.

cool... I actually did the xact same thing whenever i listen to my fav tracks from THe NEw black By SYL... Gene is such a beast with the double bass
28.12.2011 - 22:53
adace1

I was just listening to Beyond Creation's "The Aura" the other day and I have to say the drumming is just out of this world. One of my favorite tech-death bands.
30.12.2011 - 19:19
StRicardo6

I can say what i liked: Death "Individual Thought Patterns" album also "Symbolic" was really kick ass drumming from Gene Hoglan,Hellhammer on "Chimera" and "Grand Declaration of War", Nick Barker on "Dusk And Her Embrace",Trym on Emperor album "Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk",Mike Justian on "Fused Together in Revolving Doors"
The Red Chord's album.....its enough for now....drink beer and die.....
06.01.2012 - 20:07
Bigpaul

I'm not a drummer so I can't really comment on the technique etc but when I listen to the following albums I do find myself air drumming like a metal God, admittedly this generally occurs after a load of beers!:)
Necrophagist....Epitaph
Quo Vidis....Defiant Imagination
Obscura....Omnivium
Arsis....Celebration Of Guilt
Gojira......From Mars to Sirius
Meshuggah.....Obzen
Between The Buried And Me....Colours
Decapitated....Nihility
High On Fire......Death Is communion
Krisiun....Southern Storm
Misery Index...Heirs To Thievery
Sepultura....Arise

Always been a fan of Bolt Throwers drumming also.
09.01.2012 - 01:48
StRicardo6

Good list!agree with your ears,lol..... Stay drink Budwaiser beer and keep listen good albums with some solid drum work :-)
10.01.2012 - 02:23
Misfit74

Pretty big fan of Kerim "Krimh" Lechner, too, of Decapitated. His solo videos are also fun. Easy to find his stuff with a simple YouTube search. Maybe not 'greatest' per se, but very, very good for the style and so young, too. Could be a career to follow for awhile.

Always been a big fan of Dave Lombardo (see: when double-bass was really double-bass) and Neal Pert way back when (early 80's).

Nowadays, I really enjoy the work of Ed Warby a lot (Hail Of Bullets), in addition to my Deivos mention eariler in the thread. I find him to be better than Bob Bagchus (Asphyx), who is also pretty good.

Obviously, I prefer Death Metal so my choices are based in that genre. Understanding that 'fast drumming' doesn't equal 'good drumming' is pretty easy to do. Just listen to Fleshgod Apocalypse. ...he might be good but with triggered drums I'm not sure I'd ever be able to tell.

That said, I'm a guitarist and not a drummer. I do appreciate some of the old-school rock or metal guys, too (Bonham, Pert), it's just not so much my thing in recent years. I'm talking more about the guys I'm excited to listen to, rather than dubiously trying to state who is 'the best'. It's subjective and a matter of who you like oft-times. There are a lot of really good pro drummers.

What I want to hear is who you like and why you like them or think they stand out. I used to be pretty stoked about Kreator's drummer during the Pleasure To Kill era, but a lot of that had to do with a somewhat unique sound (Sonor Drums) and somewhat heavy use of tom-toms at the time - always liked some good tom-work, something that I got from listening to Rush (Pert). I wouldn't say that Ventor was great, though. Also liked Tommy from Destruction a lot back then. There are so many good ones now it's hard to stand out.

If they stand out in Death Metal, I'd be even more curious who and why said drummer does for you.
10.01.2012 - 05:15
metalheadpunk
Account deleted
Shark Attack by Wehrmacht because i dont think ive ever heard any drum work (or guitar for that matter) as fast as that, besides maybe SOD.
Human - Death
Rust In Peace - Megadeth
Divine Intervetnion - Slayer
10.01.2012 - 13:54
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by Guest on 10.01.2012 at 05:15

Shark Attack by Wehrmacht because i dont think ive ever heard any drum work (or guitar for that matter) as fast as that, besides maybe SOD.

I think you're that guy that only listens to thrash metal, so yes, it might be the fastest for you. But only for you...
10.01.2012 - 20:14
metalheadpunk
Account deleted
Written by Daniell on 10.01.2012 at 13:54

I think you're that guy that only listens to thrash metal, so yes, it might be the fastest for you. But only for you...

Thrash, punk, death metal, that kind of stuff, but if its that fast then why wouldnt it be that fast for someone else?
10.01.2012 - 20:32
snake? snaaaake!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 10.01.2012 at 20:14

Thrash, punk, death metal, that kind of stuff, but if its that fast then why wouldnt it be that fast for someone else?

Fast =/= good.
10.01.2012 - 20:51
metalheadpunk
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 10.01.2012 at 20:32

Fast =/= good.

Well obviously not everyone likes speed, but i do.
10.01.2012 - 20:55
snake? snaaaake!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 10.01.2012 at 20:51

Written by Guest on 10.01.2012 at 20:32

Fast =/= good.

Well obviously not everyone likes speed, but i do.

I never said i didn't like speed. Speed isn't the only way to demonstrate drumming ability. Listen to Ahab and Neurosis ( especially through silver in blood) and you'll see what I mean.

Also theres the way people use speed, for example, double bass and blast beats are a lot more effective if used in bursts.
13.01.2012 - 23:59
Misfit74

Human - Death
Rust In Peace - Megadeth

I know you're familiar with Cryptic Slaughter...do you think they were faster than Wehrmacht back in the day? I tend to think so, but may have to re-listen to Shark Attack again. Money Talks makes me think that helped originate what today is known as the 'blast-beat', though it is different it was as fast as I could find back then. Any thoughts?
14.01.2012 - 00:09
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Misfit74 on 13.01.2012 at 23:59

Human - Death
Rust In Peace - Megadeth

I know you're familiar with Cryptic Slaughter...do you think they were faster than Wehrmacht back in the day? I tend to think so, but may have to re-listen to Shark Attack again. Money Talks makes me think that helped originate what today is known as the 'blast-beat', though it is different it was as fast as I could find back then. Any thoughts?

Repulsion/Genocide already employed blast beats ac ouple of years before Money Talks was released
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.01.2012 - 02:58
metalheadpunk
Account deleted

Human - Death
Rust In Peace - Megadeth

Well i did think about that and it may be really close, and after Wehrmacht broke up their drummer went to Cryptic Slaughter.
14.01.2012 - 20:44
Misfit74

Written by Guest on 14.01.2012 at 02:58

Human - Death
Rust In Peace - Megadeth

Well i did think about that and it may be really close, and after Wehrmacht broke up their drummer went to Cryptic Slaughter.

Heh, interesting. I did not know that!
14.01.2012 - 21:09
metalheadpunk
Account deleted
Written by Misfit74 on 14.01.2012 at 20:44

Written by Guest on 14.01.2012 at 02:58

Human - Death
Rust In Peace - Megadeth

Heh, interesting. I did not know that!

Well i guess you learn something new everyday.
14.01.2012 - 21:29
3rdWorld
China was a neat

Rust In Peace - Megadeth

An album is only as strong as its weakest link and RIP would sound better if Meg white covered it. I just thought it was yet another shittily drummed classic.
14.01.2012 - 21:37
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by RavenKing on 21.12.2011 at 00:47

Proscriptor on the new Absu album.

Written by Troy Killjoy on 21.12.2011 at 00:49

^ What he said. Only on pretty much any Absu album.

Written by RavenKing on 21.12.2011 at 00:56

I just find his drumming more insane than ever on the new album. But yes, his drumming is pretty much insane on all albums since "The Sun Of Tiphareth".

Typical black metal stuff a bit thrashy and catchy.Neither original nor creative.
14.01.2012 - 22:20
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
Black metal stuff... I never cared about Drums. The vocals are the priority!
14.01.2012 - 23:07
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by Guest on 14.01.2012 at 22:20

Did u nevr care abt drums in black metal or in metal as a whole?? This thread is abt outstanding drumming on xtreme metal records. Not abt vocals.
14.01.2012 - 23:44
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
Written by 3rdWorld on 14.01.2012 at 23:07

Written by Guest on 14.01.2012 at 22:20

Did u nevr care abt drums in black metal or in metal as a whole?? This thread is abt outstanding drumming on xtreme metal records. Not abt vocals.

Err... I never care about drums in metal as a whole. And I know... Good words from a 111 years old man!
17.01.2012 - 01:35
StRicardo6

Somebody want to learn something new? Some young drummers want to know how to play Thrash Metal? Here is TUTORIAL for classic and technical drumming ::::::::::: Steel Fury - Lesser of Two Evils album from 1989 = thrashing insanity with some traditional metal influences essentially like a Pokemon battle between Electrode and a weak Rattata where the Electrode blows up and takes out the Rattata with the more prominent thrash influence.
10.06.2012 - 15:54
Infernal Eternal

Annihilation Of The Wicked-Nile
Communion-Septicflesh
Iron-Ensiferum
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
10.06.2012 - 21:11
Oaken
Hipster
Written by X-Ray Rod on 21.12.2011 at 00:35

* Ahab - The Call Of The Wretched Sea: "Hold on Rod! How is a doom drummer impressive? He's just slow..." Well, THIS GUY isn't that slow... His drumming is impressive, really varied and thanks to the production it comes out as simply immense, water waves just hitting at you.

Actually if you look at the tabs you'll appreciate this drummer more. He hits like four drums together, the double bass, the snare and a cymbal, and its really hard to do that.
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
10.06.2012 - 21:34
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Written by Oaken on 10.06.2012 at 21:11

* Ahab - The Call Of The Wretched Sea: "Hold on Rod! How is a doom drummer impressive? He's just slow..." Well, THIS GUY isn't that slow... His drumming is impressive, really varied and thanks to the production it comes out as simply immense, water waves just hitting at you.

Actually if you look at the tabs you'll appreciate this drummer more. He hits like four drums together, the double bass, the snare and a cymbal, and its really hard to do that.

Hmmm don't all semi decent drummers hit all those together?

As for doom drummers. Chris hakius is all I'm going to say
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
10.06.2012 - 21:36
Oaken
Hipster
Written by Spirit Molecule on 10.06.2012 at 21:34

Written by Oaken on 10.06.2012 at 21:11

Dunno, but I never saw that in a death or black metal tab.
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
10.06.2012 - 22:11
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Spirit Molecule on 10.06.2012 at 21:34

Those bands aren't really doomy for me. More like stoner.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.