Metal Storm logo
Good Black Metal For Someone New to the Genre

Original post

Posted by , 21.12.2011 - 19:19
Hey folks!
I've been into metal for a year and a half now, and up till now, I've been listening mostly to power and traditional style metal. Lately though, I've heard some black metal that I think is pretty cool, and I'd like to get into the genre a little bit. I'm really not into the "necro", corpse paint, Satanic black metal. Personally, I think its a little silly. I prefer bands like Wolves in the Throne Room and the like (stuff about nature, history, mythology, mysterious sounding, philosophical, atmospheric, epic, you see what I'm getting at). If anyone could recommend a few more melodic bands like that, it would really be appreciated. Thanks!
25.12.2011 - 15:57
Sammol

Watain
marduk
immortal
25.12.2011 - 17:21
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Troy Killjoy on 21.12.2011 at 19:46

Written by Guest on 21.12.2011 at 19:19
I prefer bands like Wolves in the Throne Room and the like (stuff about nature, history, mythology, mysterious sounding, philosophical, atmospheric, epic, you see what I'm getting at).

Quite a few threads you should read...

Ambient black metal.
Avant-garde black metal.
Ethereal black metal.
Melodic black metal.
Modern black metal.
Non-Satanic black metal.
Symphonic black metal.

And people say we have too many black metal threads... :

I think you covered it all. For a new nerd entering BM scene, he/she gonna be confused!! (:
26.05.2012 - 11:29
Infernal Eternal

Well, Rotting Christ are now using mythological lyrical themes so I suppose they count.
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
26.05.2012 - 11:54
Warman
Erotic Stains
I believe that most of the "big" black (hehe) metal bands are a good path into the genre. At least that's how I started.

Since you already seem to like power metal, maybe the more melodic bands are a smart choice. Such as Emperor, Windir, some Immortal, Dissection, Dimmu Borgir, Embraced, Satyricon, Mörk Gryning and others.
----
24.06.2012 - 13:13
Infernal Eternal

Windir, Immortal, Watain, Dissection and Catamenia are also good choices to begin with.
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
25.06.2012 - 05:50
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Try The hipster bands.

WITTR, Deafheaven, all those fun bands.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
25.06.2012 - 11:28
The Turbanator

Written by Boxcar Willy on 25.06.2012 at 05:50

Try The hipster bands.

WITTR, Deafheaven, all those fun bands.

Agree. If anyone asks me I'll tell them to start with these bands first. From Rock, these are the easiest one to digest. Although I disagree that WITTR is a hipster band. WTF is a hipster anyway? LOL
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
29.06.2012 - 23:03
axelx666

Dimmu borgir, try Death Cult Armageddon the key song ont he album is "Progenies of the Great Apocalypse" see if that's what you are looking for.
if not you could always take the easy way and look up enslaved,they deal with a lot of norse mythology.
----
"they can't stop us,let them try,for heavy metal we will die"
"on olemassa asioita karmivimmat yönä olen yksi heistä."
" we are the new bucolic,we are the pulse of the maggots"
"END"
01.07.2012 - 05:49
deathexhortation

It really depends who you are, but reading your preferences I would very, very, very strongly recommend Blut Aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta II: Dialogue With the Stars. This is a beautiful, ethereal, melodic album that I have previously used to convert people to black metal. One of the best albums of the past ten years, in my opinion, and also accessible in it's glory.
02.07.2012 - 15:32
The Turbanator

Written by deathexhortation on 01.07.2012 at 05:49

It really depends who you are, but reading your preferences I would very, very, very strongly recommend Blut Aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta II: Dialogue With the Stars. This is a beautiful, ethereal, melodic album that I have previously used to convert people to black metal. One of the best albums of the past ten years, in my opinion, and also accessible in it's glory.

Good album that one. Really like it but I doubt it's the best albums of the past ten years. I don't think it's even their best work. But, it all depends on each other's opinions so yeah. Overall BAN is awesome
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
02.07.2012 - 18:03
mojo

My first thought, Immortal, is well covered here so I'll say Dark Funeral, especially "Diabolis Interium". If aliens landed and asked about Black Metal, I might play them this album. Dark, atmospheric, catchy, discordantly melodic - all that.

Also Anaal Nathrakh (not strictly Black Metal but still one of the blackest and most disturbing sounds that exists, when they do it right) especially Domine Non Es Dignus and Eschaton.

Someone may take issue with these, but it's all about tastes innit.
----
Yeah. No. Wait, what was the question?
04.07.2012 - 19:40
I_Die_Often

I too say Dark Funeral.
Good production and killer songs.
----
Old enough to be your Daddy... speaking of which... you look familiar... do I know your mother???