Metal Storm logo
Good Black Metal For Someone New to the Genre

21.12.2011 - 19:19
fightwithsteel
Account deleted
Hey folks!
I've been into metal for a year and a half now, and up till now, I've been listening mostly to power and traditional style metal. Lately though, I've heard some black metal that I think is pretty cool, and I'd like to get into the genre a little bit. I'm really not into the "necro", corpse paint, Satanic black metal. Personally, I think its a little silly. I prefer bands like Wolves in the Throne Room and the like (stuff about nature, history, mythology, mysterious sounding, philosophical, atmospheric, epic, you see what I'm getting at). If anyone could recommend a few more melodic bands like that, it would really be appreciated. Thanks!
21.12.2011 - 19:46
Thyroid

Check these out:

- Aenaon
- Alcest
- Altar of Plagues
- Arcturus
- Darkspace
- Deafheaven
- Evilfeast
- Kroda
- Gris
- Lantlôs
- Les Discrets
- Negura Bunget
- Thy Catafalgue
- Ulver
- Woods of Desolation
- Windir

There's folk, avantgarde and atmospheric stuff.
----
My belt holds up my pants and my pants have belt loops that hold up the belt.
What the fuck's really goin on down there? Who is the real hero?
21.12.2011 - 19:46
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 21.12.2011 at 19:19
I prefer bands like Wolves in the Throne Room and the like (stuff about nature, history, mythology, mysterious sounding, philosophical, atmospheric, epic, you see what I'm getting at).

Quite a few threads you should read...

Ambient black metal.
Avant-garde black metal.
Ethereal black metal.
Melodic black metal.
Modern black metal.
Non-Satanic black metal.
Symphonic black metal.

And people say we have too many black metal threads... :
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
21.12.2011 - 19:50
Aristarchos

Drudkh
21.12.2011 - 21:25
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
21.12.2011 - 22:48
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
He's asking for good entry level black metal. i don't see a problem if those more versed in the music suggest some of the leading (yet easiest to digest) acts in those more specialized fields.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
21.12.2011 - 23:17
ANGEL REAPER

Dunno man black metal is by definition very hard to get into .... and if you exclude satanic (first wave ) bands and grim/true/norwegian (second wave) there is not much interesting stuff in it...if you were found of power metal than check Hades Almighty ...
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
22.12.2011 - 01:10
Savopipo

When I first started to explore the genre I listened a lot to swedish "pop" black metal like "Dark Funeral", "Dissection" and "Naglfar". Also "Belial" and "Nifelheim" is a good start.
----
Check Tystnad out at http://tystnad.bandcamp.com
22.12.2011 - 01:11
Savopipo

Written by Troy Killjoy on 21.12.2011 at 19:46

Written by Guest on 21.12.2011 at 19:19
I prefer bands like Wolves in the Throne Room and the like (stuff about nature, history, mythology, mysterious sounding, philosophical, atmospheric, epic, you see what I'm getting at).

Quite a few threads you should read...

Ambient black metal.
Avant-garde black metal.
Ethereal black metal.
Melodic black metal.
Modern black metal.
Non-Satanic black metal.
Symphonic black metal.

And people say we have too many black metal threads... :

There can never be too many black metal threads can it?
----
22.12.2011 - 01:12
Savopipo

But ... what you really should check out is .. wait for it ... MAYHEM!
----
22.12.2011 - 01:15
JCJen7

The first black metal I listened to was more recent Enslaved. Barely black metal, but let me appreciate it more without just scaring me away.
----
This is my sig, respect it. Please.

CHECK THESE OUT
22.12.2011 - 01:36
Promonex
Cathemeral
Immortal would be my recommendation, especially the albums "Sons of Northern Darkness" and "At the Heart of Winter". Both albums are typical black metal, but with a decent enough production, unlike most Second Wave BM (Mayhem, Burzum), and the vocals are rather easy to understand. They do wear corpsepaint, but don't take themselves seriously at all. As a matter of fact the song "Beyond the North Waves" was one of the songs that got me into black metal in the first place, partially because of its epic feel. The other one was "Cellos for the Insatiable" by Agathodaimon, a band with a clearly more melodic approach. Their album "Third Chapter" is also recommendable.

Immortal - Beyond the North Waves
Agathodaimon - Cellos for the Insatiable
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
22.12.2011 - 01:58
ANGEL REAPER

Yes Immortal! thats good start
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
22.12.2011 - 03:43
enumaelis

I've started in the 90's with albums like
Dissection - Storm of the Light's Bane
Dimmu Borgir - Enthrone Darkness Triumphant
Cradle of Filth - Dusk... And Her Embrace
For Melodic Black might be a good starting point with different ways of doing it (swedish black-death/symphonic black/gothic-vampiric black)
You might like to check also some mythical albums -and very different between each one of them- like these:
Absu - Tara
Rotting Christ - Triarchy of the Lost Lovers
Immortal - At The Heart of Winter
Bal-Sagoth - Battle Magic
And newer stuff I agree with some of the named, like Alcest, Les Discrets, Drudkh, Agalloch... last one of Thy Catafalque is also great tho I wouldnt call these lasts exactly "melodic black" but they might be interesting for you looking at your description.
----
http://enumaelis.blogspot.com/
22.12.2011 - 05:20
Lit.
Account deleted
I started with early Bathory and Mercyful Fate. Got me used to what I expected to listen to in Black Metal.
22.12.2011 - 06:46
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
I also used to be a huge Power/Traditional Metal fan (before my conversion to Prog hehe) and I always had a hard time finding a black metal band that clicks for me. Alcest was perhaps the first BM band that truly blew me away, there is also A Forest of Stars which I found very interesting as well. Virgin Black is one of my favorite bands, they play Gothic Metal but there are BM influences here and there (like in "I Sleep with the Emperor").
----
22.12.2011 - 07:01
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
I will also second Promo's suggestion of Immortal, specifically "Sons of Northern Darkness" or "At The Heart Of Winter".
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
22.12.2011 - 10:08
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Summoning or Primordial, maybe. Or Emperor's 2nd album, A Forest Of Stars' 1st album, Chthonic's latest one or some of the Viking stuff, Bathory's Nordland albums perhaps.
The first black metal albums I had, excluding Mercyful Fate, were Dimmu Borgir's Abrahadabra, Ancient's Cainian Chronicals and Mayhem's De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas. I highly recomend the Ancient album.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
22.12.2011 - 11:59
ANGEL REAPER

The man say that he dont like satanic black metal (thats the whole first wave) but i second BATHORY...great band ..one that invented the genre and its absolutely best choice for start ...
----
22.12.2011 - 12:10
A.Ghosheh

Deteriorate http://www.myspace.com/deterioraterottinginhell
any track from "The Senectuous Entrance" will blow your head
----
Kem Khefa Kheshef
22.12.2011 - 12:18
ANGEL REAPER

Dimmu Borgir's For All Tid is great...
----
22.12.2011 - 14:36
theFIST

The first black metal i listened to was Deathspell Omega"s Fas
not really easy as a starter......
but after the first discomfort i wanted more of it.....

anyways, as starters you might enjoy Azarath (some melodic songs on the latest 2 albums, thrash influences on those before)
the first Deathspell Omega album (completely different than the later ones, catchy melodies)
Thunderbolt (poland)
and Vociferian (at least on the album Beredsamkeit slow and calming)
----
http://metalstormmusicianscorner.bandcamp.com
Written by Warman on 07.11.2007 at 22:39
Haha, that's like saying "compose your own Metal album and upload it here, instead of writing a review of an album". :lol:
23.12.2011 - 00:12
Promonex
Cathemeral
And I just remembered Nocte Obducta! I'm pretty sure you'll like their stuff. Black, melodic, some acoustic guitar here and there and deep (but German) lyrics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lb4jxEowH0
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
23.12.2011 - 03:03
Mattybu

Try "Kolossus" by Keep of Kalessin, or maybe some of their other works too, it's black metal for sure but thematically deals with somewhat unique subject matter considering the genre... Which my knowledge in is admittedly lacking, but I would say they are a great band.
23.12.2011 - 15:31
Hendrikse
Account deleted
Not sure if anyone has mentioned Emperor but OP should check them out, and also:

Emperor - Beyond the Great Vast Forest: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Oy9xxXQ3gY
Keep of Kalessin - Dragon Iconography: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvQnP2mzIgc

(If you're into Wolves in the Throne Room, check out Wodensthrone)

Wodensthrone - Heófungtid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2Ape89WMzY
23.12.2011 - 21:51
whatsacow

Written by Thyroid on 21.12.2011 at 19:46

Check these out:

- Aenaon
- Alcest
- Altar of Plagues
- Arcturus
- Darkspace
- Deafheaven
- Evilfeast
- Kroda
- Gris
- Lantlôs
- Les Discrets
- Negura Bunget
- Thy Catafalgue
- Ulver
- Woods of Desolation
- Windir

There's folk, avantgarde and atmospheric stuff.

For someone new to black metal? Ulver isnt Black Metal these days, they sound more like anathema or porcupine tree. And I don't really class Alcest as Black metal.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
23.12.2011 - 21:58
Thyroid

Whatacow: I was referring to first three Ulver albums. And for someone who enjoys WiTR i think Alcest is something that would be worth to check out
----
My belt holds up my pants and my pants have belt loops that hold up the belt.
What the fuck's really goin on down there? Who is the real hero?
23.12.2011 - 22:15
whatsacow

Written by Thyroid on 23.12.2011 at 21:58

Whatacow: I was referring to first three Ulver albums. And for someone who enjoys WiTR i think Alcest is something that would be worth to check out

Thats fair enough. Some of those bands I wouldn't give to a beginner unless theyre coming from a proggy background.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
23.12.2011 - 22:37
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Not sure if anyone mentioned them, but I would suggest Rotting Christ for a more melodic approach, that's usually how I like black metal. Apart from Immortal, they were one of the few bands which captured my attention and stayed with me. They are in fact the only black metal band in my favs list.

"Thy Mighty Contract", "Non Serviam", "Triarchy Of The Lost Lovers". It's a win-win.

Now I feel like listening to these albums, brb.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
24.12.2011 - 03:23
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Thyroid on 23.12.2011 at 21:58
I was referring to first two Ulver albums.

Fixed your post.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.