Metal Storm logo
Best Black Metal albums of 2011

Original post

Posted by The Turbanator, 24.12.2011 - 20:25
Apologies if there's already a thread about it. What's your favorite BM releases of this year? Not necessarily a pure BM release.

Top of my head :

Alpha Eri by Alrakis
Celestial Lineage by Wolves In The Throne Room
Torn Beyond Reason by Woods Of Desolation
Mammal by Altar of Plagues
777 Sect(s) and 777 Desanctifaction by Blut Aus Nord
Noregs Vaapen by Taake
Femundsmarka - Eine Reise in drei Kapiteln by Waldgefluester
Dort, wo das alte Böse ruht by Aaskeria
Passion by Anaal Nathrakh
Fallen by Burzum
Diotima by Krallice
Varjoina Kuljemme Kuolleiden Maassa by Moonsorrow
Vlast by N.K.V.D
Kosmonument by Oranssi Pazuzu
Redemption at the Puritan's Hand by Primordial
Heart of Darkness by TOBC
Beyond the Watercolor Sunset, We Feel New Life by Verwustung
Epoch by Fen
Abzu by Absu
26.12.2011 - 11:53
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Marcus on 26.12.2011 at 11:49
On a side note, I was just about to add Alrakis - Alpha Eri to my above post, only to realize you had already put it

I feel like our favorite black metal albums of 2011 are very similar.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
26.12.2011 - 19:35
(((O)))
These are my top 5 at the moment.

1. Diapsiquir - A.N.T.I.
2. Dining in Tuscany - 1556
3. De Magia Veterum - The Divine Antithesis
4. Fell Voices - Fell Voices
5. N.K.V.D. - Vlast

However I haven't listened to Farsot's Insects, the latest Blut Aus Nord and the new Gorath yet.
26.12.2011 - 20:35
Marcus
Doit Like Bernie
Written by Troy Killjoy on 26.12.2011 at 11:53

I feel like our favorite black metal albums of 2011 are very similar.

Well I did steal a lot from your top 2011 list, except for the ones i mentioned and a few others (which just happened to be on there anyways of course).
27.12.2011 - 03:32
pisymbol
Troy's list is out standing. Minus #7 should be #1 in my opinion! ;-)

Epheles's Je Suis Autrefois is phenomenal. Atmospheric, dark, and absolutely approachable, i.e. BaN and Aosoth for instance can be difficult for some.

Seriously, anyone here reading this, PLEASE PLEASE go listen to Epheles's latest. Absolutely one of 2011's best albums.
27.12.2011 - 17:24
ANGEL REAPER
All my theories that modern black metal is turning to crap aside ... i say that best bm release of 2011 is Ilkim Oluanem's Girdap ..the former raw/holocaust bm style she had now with more rock/doom oriented touch in it its quite refreshing thing to hear in dead sea that we call black metal this year...
than again if we consider the plain fact that today's black metal is nothing like second or first wave i dont think we can even have bm albums this year ...
EDIT: yeah i know that now a storm full of shit is coming my way for stating the above ...
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
27.12.2011 - 19:51
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
If you want to make up your own bizarre rules about black metal then go ahead. But yeah, don't be surprised if people call you out on it.
28.12.2011 - 03:04
pisymbol
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 27.12.2011 at 17:24

All my theories that modern black metal is turning to crap aside ... i say that best bm release of 2011 is Ilkim Oluanem's Girdap ..the former raw/holocaust bm style she had now with more rock/doom oriented touch in it its quite refreshing thing to hear in dead sea that we call black metal this year...
than again if we consider the plain fact that today's black metal is nothing like second or first wave i dont think we can even have bm albums this year ...
EDIT: yeah i know that now a storm full of shit is coming my way for stating the above ...

The Turkish artist right? I listened to an EP I think of hers a while back. I thought it was decent but nothing mind blowing (and certainly not best of 201!).

What I find interesting about the above comment is that artists really can't win:

On one hand, you have a whole slew of BM folks who can't stand the "post" movement while others complain that BM is stagnant with artists rehashing the first and second wave sound (in some respects I think that is why Mayhem in my eyes went off the deep end with respect to production in Ordo back in 2007, they just wanted to do something different, some loved, some hated it).

Here is what's going to get people angry...in my opinion the best classic style BM release of 2011 is Taake's latest. To me Vaapen is the perfect TNBM release.
28.12.2011 - 04:37
Xeravia
Tsjuder would have to be my top i reckon
28.12.2011 - 11:19
adace1
1. Wolves in the Throne Room - Celestial Lineage
2. Moonsorrow - Varjoina kuljemme kuolleiden maassa
3. Altar of Plagues - Mammal
4. Blut aus Nord - 777 - The Desanctification

That's my list so far but I'll have to look up the other albums you guys listed.
28.12.2011 - 11:42
InnerSelf
proofread free
Ordered alphabetically

Agrypnie - Asche
Alrakis - Alpha Eri
An Autumn For Crippled Children - Everything
Blut Aus Nord - 777 - Sect(s)
Blut Aus Nord - 777 - The Desanctificatio
Infestus - E x | I s t
Chaos Moon - The Ouroboros Worm [EP]
Lantlôs - Agape
Oranssi Pazuzu - Kosmonument
Sleeping Peonies - Ghosts, And Other Things [EP]
Wolves In The Throne Room - Celestial Lineage
Woods Of Desolation - Torn Beyond Reason
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
28.12.2011 - 13:35
JD
Account deleted
No particular order:

Craft - Void
Anaal Nathrakh - Passion
Kaoteon - Veni Vidi Vomui
Rudra - Brahmavidya: Immortal I
Ordum - The Circle
Assaulter - Boundless
Eulen - Mother Tree
Marduk - Iron Dawn EP
Blut Aus Nord - 777 Sect(s) and 777 Desanctifaction
Taake - Noregs Vaapen
Burzum - Fallen
N.K.V.D - Vlast
Absu - Abzu
Azarath - Blasphemers' Maledictions
29.12.2011 - 02:46
Savopipo
This is probably controversial but what the fuck!!
Venom - Fallen Angels
----
Check Tystnad out at http://tystnad.bandcamp.com
29.12.2011 - 19:13
RavenKing
Written by pisymbol on 28.12.2011 at 03:04

in my opinion the best classic style BM release of 2011 is Taake's latest. To me Vaapen is the perfect TNBM release.

Agreed.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
29.12.2011 - 19:41
Savopipo
Written by RavenKing on 29.12.2011 at 19:13

Written by pisymbol on 28.12.2011 at 03:04

in my opinion the best classic style BM release of 2011 is Taake's latest. To me Vaapen is the perfect TNBM release.

Agreed.

Same here.
----
Check Tystnad out at http://tystnad.bandcamp.com
01.01.2012 - 03:09
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Way to hard ansver , I will put BM, atmo, melo, doom/black in this list
I will post all what I have heard at myspace, bancamp, and other place where you can hear full lenghts, all I have listen etlest once

BM

Alda - Tohoma
Alrakis - Alpfa Eri
Antitope - House Of Harlet
Arcanum - Helvitsmyrkt
Armat Sargon -Cyberian Inner Death
Ashen Light -
Aten Era - In Autumn's Solitary Decline -- pretty new band from Slovenia, fgull album is at bandcamp and myspace
Balance Interuption - Era II: Deserts of Ashes
Berkowitz - Five Thousand Years To Hate .... album was at bandcamp or other site
Blodband - Gammelnordiska besvärjelser and Det Eviga och den Döde swedish band from Skåne, I heard it at friends house but simply walked true album
Charnel Winds - Der Teufelsbund
Countess - On Wings of Defiance
Ctulu - Sarkomad
Curse - Void Above, Abyss Below fidn accidently when I searh once famose icelands band name what i forgot at that time
Domgård - Myrkvier
Elgibbor - The Immiment Invasion
Farsot - Incets
From The Waistlands - Darkness VS. Light, The Perpetual Battle ... Iranian band maybe nicest suprise in 2011
Glorior Belli - Great Southern Darkness
Helgedom - Den Mörka Skogen af Ondo
Helrunar - Sol
Kvasta - Seaosn Of The Fallen
Locus Mortis - Inter Uterum Et Loculum MMXI
maradicere - Leave Only What is Fit to Burn
Nargaroth - Spectral Visions of Mental Warfare
Nort - Cajek Za Storm
Nycticorax - Anima Tenebrarum ---- I thought band was split up long ago
Old Forest - Tales of the Sussex Weald ; Part 3 (Andredsweald)
Peste Noire - L'Ordure à l'état Pur
Raate - Menetyksen Tie
Shining - VII: Född Förlorare ---- this album make me change my midn about band I start like it
Skogen - Svitjod
Slavia - Integrity and Victory
Tjhisden - Legion helvete
Wolves In The Throne Room - Celestial Lineage
Woods Od Desolation - Torn Beyond Reason

SO called Pagan BM
Nothing specila this year Moonsoorow, and Krodac -Schwarzpfad

Atmospheric , Melodic, depresive and Ambient Black Metal

Evilfrost - Wintermoon Enchantment
Nocra - The Haunting
Appalachian Winter - I Become The Frozen Land
Frosthammer -Nexus Of Time
Sinful - The XIII-th Apostle

BLACK DOOM
Antropophobia - Screams Of Emtyness
Black Autumn - Gjosts IN our Windows
Issolöation -Closing The Circle
Reventale - Bringer of Heartsore

and I want to hear Forgooten Tomb - Under Saturn Retrograde (if its out)
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
02.01.2012 - 15:24
Narterath
One of my top 10 albums for 2011 is Bestia Arcana's "To Anabainon Ek Tes Abyssu". Chaotic, dissonant music, creating an atmosphere of impending doom, so overwhelming it is almost like the feeling of being suffocated. You can listen to two tracks here: http://soundcloud.com/daemon-worship/sets/bestia-arcana-to-anabainon-ek/
02.01.2012 - 18:46
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Narterath on 02.01.2012 at 15:24

One of my top 10 albums for 2011 is Bestia Arcana's "To Anabainon Ek Tes Abyssu". Chaotic, dissonant music, creating an atmosphere of impending doom, so overwhelming it is almost like the feeling of being suffocated. You can listen to two tracks here: http://soundcloud.com/daemon-worship/sets/bestia-arcana-to-anabainon-ek/

Pretty good. It is indeed dissonant.
02.01.2012 - 19:46
Kenos
Account deleted
My album of the year (and, even though it may sound exaggerated, one of my favourites ever) is "Agape", but that's barely black metal; so I guess I'd say Wolves In The Throne Room's masterpiece is the best bm work of 2011.
Other great black metal albums (some classic black, some a bit out of the genre) are Blut Aus Nord' "The Desanctification", Fen's "Epoch", Deafheaven's "Roads To Judah", Woods Of Desolation's "Torn Beyond Reason", Burzum's "Fallen", Samael's "Lux Mundi", Nightbringer's "Hierophany", Arckanum's "Helvítismyrkr" and Craft's "Void".
02.01.2012 - 21:42
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Guest on 02.01.2012 at 19:46

We agree on so much...

...yet so little.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
02.01.2012 - 22:29
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
02.01.2012 - 23:22
Slayer666
Written by Savopipo on 29.12.2011 at 02:46

Venom - Fallen Angels

It would be controversial if that album were black metal in the first place....

(being a genre Nazi pain in the ass is a difficult job, but someone has to do it)
03.01.2012 - 02:15
NLthrasher

Venom - Fallen Angels

I second this as it is probably the only black metal band that I listen if it even really is black metal.
03.01.2012 - 03:20
pisymbol
Written by NLthrasher on 03.01.2012 at 02:15

Venom - Fallen Angels

I second this as it is probably the only black metal band that I listen if it even really is black metal.

Mr Killjoy had it right about Venom. I won't quote him.

Ever read Ian Christie's Sound of the Beast? Its hard to take Venom very seriously if you know their history.

And no, they are not black metal. Even Venom admits that. See reference link above.
03.01.2012 - 03:32
pisymbol
Written by Guest on 02.01.2012 at 19:46

My album of the year (and, even though it may sound exaggerated, one of my favourites ever) is "Agape", but that's barely black metal; so I guess I'd say Wolves In The Throne Room's masterpiece is the best bm work of 2011.
Other great black metal albums (some classic black, some a bit out of the genre) are Blut Aus Nord' "The Desanctification", Fen's "Epoch", Deafheaven's "Roads To Judah", Woods Of Desolation's "Torn Beyond Reason", Burzum's "Fallen", Samael's "Lux Mundi", Nightbringer's "Hierophany", Arckanum's "Helvítismyrkr" and Craft's "Void".

I just didn't get "Agape." Maybe I need more listens, not entirely sure.

I admit it is quite powerful and there is genius sprinkled all over this album. But ultimately, it isn't cohesive enough to really resonate with me. Am I the only one?
03.01.2012 - 03:34
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by pisymbol on 03.01.2012 at 03:32
I admit it is quite powerful and there is genius sprinkled all over this album. But ultimately, it isn't cohesive enough to really resonate with me. Am I the only one?

You aren't the only one. Personally I really enjoyed their latest effort, although I can understand why some feel it's not cohesive. It does suffer a bit in terms of focus, often wandering around as if it lost its identity, but I still think the overall product has moments that can truly mesmerize.
----
03.01.2012 - 03:36
pisymbol
Written by Troy Killjoy on 03.01.2012 at 03:34

Written by pisymbol on 03.01.2012 at 03:32

You aren't the only one. Personally I really enjoyed their latest effort, although I can understand why some feel it's not cohesive. It does suffer a bit in terms of focus, often wandering around as if it lost its identity, but I still think the overall product has moments that can truly mesmerize.

100% agree. Whats also fascinating to me is though its black metal....its soothing, not dreamy like Lantlos's close cousins, Alcest and Les Discrets.....I can't help myself....maybe this is transcendental?

Just kidding, just kidding...
03.01.2012 - 03:39
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by pisymbol on 03.01.2012 at 03:36
not dreamy like Lantlos's close cousins, Alcest and Les Discrets...

I think that's almost the point. Where Alcest and Les Discrets offer a more relaxed, dream-like feel to their sound (shoegaze + black metal), Lantlos still retain a bit more extremity and incorporate post-rock elements into the mix.

All three bands approach their music in a very similar fashion, however. It's more about creating an atmosphere than it is about writing strategic riffs.
----
03.01.2012 - 03:54
pisymbol
Written by Troy Killjoy on 03.01.2012 at 03:39

Written by pisymbol on 03.01.2012 at 03:36
not dreamy like Lantlos's close cousins, Alcest and Les Discrets...

I think that's almost the point. Where Alcest and Les Discrets offer a more relaxed, dream-like feel to their sound (shoegaze + black metal), Lantlos still retain a bit more extremity and incorporate post-rock elements into the mix.

All three bands approach their music in a very similar fashion, however. It's more about creating an atmosphere than it is about writing strategic riffs.

And to bring it full circle, I think that is where "Agape" loses me. Where Alcest and Les Discrets create shoe-creamy atmosphere they remain focused and don't meander, i.e. "post-rock elements." I think if Lantlos was a bit more focused and provided some clearly defined olive branch for me to grab onto, I would be more impressed with this release. Given that I am huge fan of Alcest and Les Discrets, I really wanted this to make my top black metal release and its just not there for me.

Now I want to start a small flame war - heck its 2012 now, let's get rolling...

Celestial Lineage is a bit over rated in these circles. I like Wolves. I really do. I think Celestial was a strong effort. I enjoyed it.

But nothing ground breaking. Nothing awe inspiring. As I stated in the album thread, I thought Alda's :Tahoma: and Fall's of Rauro's Dwells were much better executed than Celestial (though I will admit that Alda and Falls are much more simpler in construction than Lineage).
03.01.2012 - 05:49
NLthrasher
Written by pisymbol on 03.01.2012 at 03:20

Written by NLthrasher on 03.01.2012 at 02:15

Venom - Fallen Angels

Mr Killjoy had it right about Venom. I won't quote him.

Ever read Ian Christie's Sound of the Beast? Its hard to take Venom very seriously if you know their history.

And no, they are not black metal. Even Venom admits that. See reference link above.

I know that but still there are people that see Venom as black metal, thats why I said IF.
Lett me formulate it more clearly. IF you count Venom as black metal "Fallen Angels" will be my favourite black metal album of 2011, If you dont count it as black metal I dont have a favourite black metal album of 2011.
03.01.2012 - 06:36
The Turbanator
Surprised that no one mentioned Terra Tenebrosa (even I forgot). Their debut album "The Tunnels" is fucking amazing.
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!