Metal Storm logo
Thyrfing

16.10.2006 - 18:42
Vidrageon
Account deleted
I realised there wasn't a thread for Thyrfing yet. They're a band that I really love, they play aggressive, beautiful viking/folk metal from Sweden...Farsotstider is their latest album, completely in Swedish, it's extremely good, but my all time favourite, hands down, is Vansinnesvisor...a fantastic album that just has everything. I really love the vocals from Väänänen, and, imo, Thyrfing are a band that have gotten better and better with age.

My only complaint is the pronounciation...it's been a long debate... I pronounce it Tyr-fing, stressing the Tyr, but I've heard it pronounced thurfing (like a lisped surfing) and Thorfing, pronouncing Thor like the god, but that sounds really messed.
16.10.2006 - 19:05
Skald
Account deleted
I love The Voyager song by them. Viking Metal drumming at its best \m/
Other than that they aren't one of my top bands, but definietely high.

Anyway, I pronounce it Terving, with the 'e' being something between e and y (Romans recorded it as Tervingi, so it might sound something like that).
16.10.2006 - 19:12
Vidrageon
Account deleted
I've noticed that Swedes, Norwegians and Danes rate Thyrfing a lot higher than people who don't have as good a grasp of the Swedish language, I know a lot of Brits who cannot listen to a lot of Thyrfing as they don't understand what they're saying and don't like it. To be honest, I love Thyrfing's lyrics, and I can see how not knowing what they are can detract the band. Finntroll sing in Swedish, but their lyrics aren't as interesting, and Moonsorrow sing in Finnish, while I like them a lot, they cannot reach my top bands due to the language difference.
16.10.2006 - 19:16
Skald
Account deleted
Well Manegarm are my all time favorite band and they sing in Swedish too, so it's not same in my case :p
16.10.2006 - 21:01
Vidrageon
Account deleted
Good point :p

Well, I was speaking generally, not many people know about Månegarm because they sing in Swedish too ;<
17.10.2006 - 00:16
Unholy_Emperor

Well obviously I prefer when they speak in english but it's not a problem for me hear them singing in swedish or norvegian since I like these languages and some time would like to learn one of them and most times translations can be found in internet.
04.11.2006 - 04:45
Opium Magnet
Account deleted
I really do love this band's music.

I noticed something very odd about this band and some of the similarities their earlier metarial shares with early Moonspell, the drumming and vocals are what I think are the closest by comparison, but both are good in their own way and of course, both played a different style back in their earlier days.
06.11.2006 - 23:27
Valentin B
Iconoclast
i've been getting into a lot of viking metal and i think they're not as good as einerjer
and i also think they play kind of generic viking metal
not directing an accuse to them, i think they're just slightly above average, the condition for a band to maintain it's place in my hard-drive
07.11.2006 - 01:27
Vidrageon
Account deleted
I disagree, cursed. They aren't generic at all, his vocals are beautifully aggressive, their melodies grand and outstanding. To be fair, their first few albums are a bit poor, and Urkraft is, as you said, generic viking metal...but Vansinnesvisor is fucking outstanding, and Farsotstider just builds on that. They are among my most favourite viking metal bands, Månegarm quickly becoming also one of my favourites.
07.11.2006 - 12:34
Judas
The Amputator
God I love this band! I haven't listened to them in a while, but every time I do the music never fails to make me realise its awesomeness. It's pretty damn close to pure Viking Metal, and also pretty damn close to perfect Viking Metal. I don't think that the Swedish lyrics detract anything from the listenability, personally I love it when Viking bands sing in their own tongues. Incidentally, Thomas Väänänen is going to do some vocals on the next Moonsorrow album, which should make it even better than it already would be.
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
04.02.2007 - 18:42
MetalSpider

Heard a few songs by Thyrfing's Vansinnesvisor (The Voyager and Angestens Hogborg) and I really liked them. I'll have to get more.
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
04.02.2007 - 23:13
APOHAKC
The Bard
Oh, I like Thyrfing more than pussy, there are unique band on scene and one of the best Viking preformerce, I like their sound and those melodic/war keys (first albums), but new album is also good, little darker but very good, they have atmosphere little bands posses, I would like to see them alive, oh God I would... You can read my interview with Thyrfing if ou want here
http://soundchaser.freehostia.com/Interviews/thyrfing.htm
And if you do try to sign my guestbook, it means lot to me.
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
26.05.2007 - 14:38
Milutin
Account deleted
I was wandering if there was a thread about this band...anyway
Thyrfing is one of my favorite bands and this is definetly the band that got me into folk metal. It can be said that they are one of the best folk metal bands out there. I have heard their self-titled album a year ago and it totaly blew me away and a few days ago relisten it again along with Valdr Galga, another great album, maybe better that the first. This band is a necessity for everyone who likes folk metal melodies and it's great for getting into the genre.
27.05.2007 - 20:14
APOHAKC
The Bard
Yes, but only first few releases. New albums are also great, but little bit different than Vadr Galga or Thyrfing. New album is much more darker and there are no much melodies like before.
I heard that last album was recorded in some wooden house (lol I don';t know how to say that on English) on some mountain with some ancient equipment, any truth in it?
----
29.05.2007 - 15:08
Judas
The Amputator
I own 'Ukraft' and 'Vansinnesvisor', and have the others downloaded. Thyrfing used to be one of my favourite bands, around a year or so ago, then they suddenly fell out of favour, I can't quite figure out why. Anyway, I'm getting back into them of late, I like how they are quite a pure strain of Viking Metal, it's not often that you get bands like this, only a handful come to mind along with them.
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
29.05.2007 - 15:28
APOHAKC
The Bard
Same happened to me, I was listening to them 4-5 years back, and I remember that it was definetely my favorite band, I liestened to them all the time, and suddenly, I almost forgot they exist. I haven't play any of their albums for some time. Actually, last time I listend to them is when I bought last album, but, I didn't listen to it more than 4-5 days. I know that it is one of the greatest metal bands for listening while drinking, lol, really it is.
----
24.04.2008 - 14:55
kotohime

At the moment I am listening a lot to Thyrfing, I wonder if I will also stop listening to them in a year or so. I hope not, when I listen to them now (especially Farsotstider) I am in complete awe, such great music!
I also think the swedish language is not really a problem. Some days ago I found some translations of lyrics. That is enoug for me.
I agree with Judas about viking metal bands who sing in there own tongues. Imo more viking and folk metal bands should sing in there own language.
And about the pronounciation, I say thyr-fing.
----
Am I going anywhere, Not 'til I can read by the moon
07.09.2008 - 02:27
astrozombie

yea i love this band alot my older bros buddy let me listen to the album farsotstider and its way brutal i really like the swedish lyrics i think it sounds so brutal in the song baldersbalet. i really enjoy the band over all alot.
07.09.2008 - 03:36
MetalSpider

Written by MetalSpider on 04.02.2007 at 18:42

Heard a few songs by Thyrfing's Vansinnesvisor (The Voyager and Angestens Hogborg) and I really liked them. I'll have to get more.

After hearing Vansinnesvisor about a 100 times, I think Thyrfing is an amazing band. Ive only heard Farsotstider once and I thought it was good...but nothing like Vansinnesvisor. Im hoping that their latest effort will be crushing!
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
02.10.2008 - 17:48
Socom
Account deleted
My favourite band overall... But it's damn hard to catch them play live... The southernmost point they're playing is Lichtenfels in april. It's gonna cost me a lot of money, hours and nerves to get there, but it's definitely worth it
03.10.2008 - 19:30
SK921
Account deleted
One of the only bands that deserve to be called Viking metal.
03.10.2008 - 19:53
Branzig

I'm big fan of Thyrfing! They are one of the few bands today that know how to write a good, catchy viking tune. I don't really care what laguage they sing in. Oddly enough, I think Farsotsider is my favorite album by them. It just grooves so well and to me the lyrics sound perfect. Especially on Host.

Thyrfing! Great band!
----
In Grind We Crust
04.10.2008 - 09:26
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Ive got Urkraft....stellar album. But their latter stuff dont appeal to me as much, perhaps the new album will be a good one to have again.
04.10.2008 - 13:51
Socom
Account deleted
according to samples they uploaded to their myspace site, new album will be slightly different, more atmospheric perhaps. I believe it's gonna be a great album, most likely better than farsotstider
02.03.2021 - 12:14
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
26th february

While we are soon to reveal some info on new music from Thyrfing, we have some other good news as well.
The first four classic Thyrfing albums - "Thyrfing" (1998), "Valdr Galga" (1999), "Urkraft" (2000) and "Vansinnesvisor" (2002) - will be available again in physical format later this year through Despotz Records. More info on content, packaging and release dates will be announced in time.
In the meanwhile you can purchase them digitally through https://thyrfing.bandcamp.com/, or stream them through your favorite platform.

----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing