Metal Storm logo
Freedom Call

Original post

Posted by , 16.10.2006 - 22:23
I'm quite surprised a Freedom Call thread had not already been made...

Such a fantastic band, almost the definition of happy metal, when in the mood, this band is one of the best in the world.

Eternity is their best album by a mile, followed closely by Crystal Empire. Their latest album, Circle of Life, honestly only has a handful of good songs, but it's really not about variation or musical talent with these guys - it's the sheer joy and energy they can communicate with the listener.

Oh spiritus, oh sanctus
Adoramus domine
Te deum laudamus
In memoriam, gloriam
18.09.2007 - 15:35
Baz Anderson

the new one "Dimensions" is a great great album.. I would say either that or the first one is their best
I am so happy I got to see them live, they were so so great!!
18.09.2007 - 16:19
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
i don't have Stairway to Fairyland so far, but their very best album is Eternity...Dimensions are nice, but not so nice
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

23.09.2007 - 09:09
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
their last two albums havent been that good! Man what happened to them doing albums like Eternity, Stairway to fairyland, and crystal empire? I guess they aren't that bad of albums but still I know they could do better.
23.09.2007 - 11:53
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Dimensions - songs Innocent World, United Alliance and My Dying Paradise are one of my most favorite from them...i really cant complain about their last album
----

02.11.2007 - 00:30
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
I finally heard Dimensions! I bought it last week, it's not bad, I don't like some ov the ballady/slow parts though.
02.11.2007 - 23:43
Fuath

would anyone be able to recommend me a good album to get??
----
FRACTALS!!!!!

04.11.2007 - 16:58
Ernotar
Cookie Mistress
Written by Fuath on 02.11.2007 at 23:43

would anyone be able to recommend me a good album to get??

I'd say "Eternity" is a good one to start with.
----
You'll never walk alone.
13.01.2008 - 14:25
Son of Odin

One of the best melodic power metal bands I have heard, every album they have done is really great. Seen them 4 times and they are a good live band in my opinion.
The best album is Eternity.
----
METAL UNITES US ALL!
14.01.2008 - 00:15
Baz Anderson

I personally started right at the begining with Freedom Call. the very first song I heard I remember was "Hymn To The Brave".. what a great song.
I can say I have seen them live now as well.. they seem like great guys
14.01.2008 - 00:38
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
when i firstly heard them i was really impressed and i absolutely loved them, but as the time goes and i discovered new bands...

i have to say Edguy and Gamma Ray seem to be even better to my eyes...and thats only German power metal...still, Freedom Call great band, but i won´t say the best, nowadays...
----

23.05.2008 - 11:04
Trinstar

I have to admit, I was hooked the second I heard, "We are warriors, born from the light/An army for freedom defenders of life". These guys hardly dilute their happiness at all, with mostly major key verses AND choruses, not horribly common even in power metal, because it produces a very "happy" sound, whereas the minor key is your more "sad" sound. Some of their songs, like Warriors, plays the verse in a minor key, then switches to the major of the same note for the chorus, which is something I actually thought of a long time ago, but this is the first time I've ever heard it (and I've been a musician for quite some time). And it sounds, you guessed it, HAPPY. Music like this is either so happy it makes you smile, or so corny it makes you laugh. Either way, the result is some form of happiness!
----
Every one of us has heard the call
Brothers of True Metal, proud and standing tall
We know the power within us has brought us to this hall
There's magic in the metal; there's magic is us all
30.01.2010 - 12:43
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Woah, this thread definitely needs bumping!

I just heard 'Legend Of The Shadowking' yesterday, and I was truly amazed! I never ever thought they'd ever beat 'Eternity', which has always been my fave Freedom Call album. But geez, they've only just gone and done it! Almost every single one of it's 14 songs is a surefire winner, and is definitely the best album they have ever done in my opinion. The huge, catchy melodies this time are intertwined with some darker passages, and heavier moments, which gives their signature sound a more expansive, and adventurous feel. I think finally FC deserves a place in the premier league of power metal bands, just an astonishing album of over the top, epic metal. If you like Freedom Call, you will love the new album, I guarantee it.

I have to say I was a bit disappointed with their last album 'Dimensions', but this is a great return to form, even better than Gamma Ray's I think!
02.02.2010 - 01:20
Baz Anderson

I've just listened to the new one for the first time. Really quite weird actually... I didn't expect that.
It is definitely the most... bombastic album they are have done. I think it will need a bit of time for me to get used to it, but I think this might be a fantastic album given the effort. We'll have to see.
02.02.2010 - 18:45
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Second half of Legend sounds better to me. Only listened to it once, but I guess because the second half sounds darker in general
----
loves 小巫
02.02.2010 - 19:11
Baz Anderson

Last four people to post in here living in the UK... it's annoying how they never come here.
I saw them at Bloodstock 2007, that is it.
25.07.2011 - 15:26
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
Heard Eternity by them. Good album, but it's very happy.
09.03.2012 - 03:17
Kallis Helmi
ManDaraBosS
The new album (Land Of The Crimson Dawn) is excellent! I think their best one after Eternity! A must have for all happy metal fans!
----
"Now I'm leaving my worries behind
Feel the freedom of body and mind
I am starting my journey, I'm drifting away with the wind
I go"
27.03.2020 - 11:31
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
From Facebook

Hey friends in the UK,
we hope you're doing good so far...
disappointing, but expected our show in London at The Underworld Camden on March, 28th has been postponed.
A new date is already in progress...we're gonna announce soon

----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
07.06.2020 - 15:21
Heavy Metta

The chap from Damnation Festival compared power metal to candy floss (said "it's just shite") and I don't think this would be the band to change his mind. It's also why I love them. Land of the Light was the first song I heard, think it was back in the early eMusic days, and I just love it for how OTT it is with the power metal cheese factor.

Written by Baz Anderson on 02.02.2010 at 19:11

Last four people to post in here living in the UK... it's annoying how they never come here.
I saw them at Bloodstock 2007, that is it.

That was my first Bloodstock, and I was so excited to see Freedom Call, it's a real shame I haven't had the opportunity to see them again since. They were great live, I remember have a great time!

Written by Bad English on 27.03.2020 at 11:31

From Facebook

Hey friends in the UK,
we hope you're doing good so far...
disappointing, but expected our show in London at The Underworld Camden on March, 28th has been postponed.
A new date is already in progress...we're gonna announce soon

This is something to look forward to! I think some upbeat power metal will be much needed when we get to return to gigs!
----
Last Gig: Max & Igor Cavalera (w/ Conan)
Upcoming (maybe): In Flames, Parkway Drive, Bloodstock Festival, Arctangent Festival, Damnation Festival 2021, Meshuggah, and 2 Orange Goblin livestreams