Reviewer:

261 users:
Band: Quo Vadis
Album: Defiant Imagination
Release date: 2004

01. Silence Calls The Storm
02. In Contempt
03. Break The Cycle
04. Tunnel Effect (Element Of The Ensemble IV)
05. To The Bitter End
06. In Articulo Mortis
07. Fate's Descent
08. Dead Man's Diary
09. Ego Intuo Et Servo Te

This band is, first of all, the best technical death metal band ever!

This is Quo Vadis' first release with their new singer, Stéphane Paré. Having seen them live twice I can honestly say that he has the most energy live that I have ever seen someone have. The thing I love about this album is how he managed to capture this insane amount of energy and just make you want to headbang the whole way through this album. For this album they also had Steve DiGiorgio as their bass player.

Now the first song on this release, Silence Calls the Storm, is by far the best song on the album. It starts off with a killer, almost 20 second growl (how he does it, I do not know). This mind blowing intro is just great. Once the vocals kick in, it's just a heandbanging frenzy! They manage to keep the drums rolling like thunder and play these technical guitar riffs while still keeping you loving the song.

Another noticeable song on the album is In Contempt. This shows how Quo Vadis can have very fast paced songs with very deep growls and an insane bass sound! This song is solid and you can see here their immense talent. Can you honestly tell me that this is not one of the best Death metal drummers you have ever heard?

In this album, like in their previous one, they have two songs that are mostly instrumental but with some lyrics (not much). The song titled In Articulo Mortis is actually a song dedicated to Chuck Schuldiner.

The lyrics are always amazing. Unlike a lot of Death Metal bands, they do not talk about gore, etc. They decide to talk about topics related to life, death and beliefs. I really enjoy this factor because it gives the music more meaning.

If you are a fan of the Technical Death/Thrash genre, then this album is what you are looking for. They have amazing vocals, killer guitar solos, gut wrenching bass (from the master Steve) and the best drummer in the Death Metal scene IMO.

I give this album a solid 10/10 for it being in my top Death Metal albums ever!

Written by Herzebeth | 09.06.2005

Staff review by
Undercraft
Rating:
Four years without a Quo Vadis album is rather a long time to wait if you ask me?
For those that doesn't know the Canadian outfit, let me enlighten you, Quo Vadis are a Death Metal band, much like their compatriots Kataklysm and Cryptosity they're playing Progressive, raw but thrashy Death Metal, this is their third studio album, and also the debut of new vocalist Stéphane Paré.

Read more ››
published 19.04.2005 | Comments (3)

Comments

Comments: 10   Visited by: 145 users
17.10.2006 - 00:44
Rating: 10
jadawal

I give it a 10/10 too. Everything in the album and every instrument is perfect, brilliant and technical. My favorite Canadian band, and in my top death metal bands as well.
23.11.2006 - 03:59
Rating: 9
Dream Taster
The Enemy Within
Good review for a terrific album! 'Silence Calls The Storm' has to be the best technical death metal song I know. Montreal rocks!
23.11.2006 - 04:06
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Quo Vadis had been always been dreadfully boring for me... listened to them lots of times, tried to catch them, but at ast just seem like an anatractive, repetitive and unoriginal death metal... the problem is probably just mine...
23.11.2006 - 18:18
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 23.11.2006 at 04:06

Quo Vadis had been always been dreadfully boring for me... listened to them lots of times, tried to catch them, but at ast just seem like an anatractive, repetitive and unoriginal death metal... the problem is probably just mine...

Nope, it's not just you. I have the same problem.

EDIT: wow, this was post 11111 made by me. Nice number.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.12.2006 - 18:20
Dream Taster
The Enemy Within
I find that this album is a masterpiece BUT the production could be a lot better. You need to see them on stage first to really get into their stuff. Anyway, nice review Herz.
27.12.2006 - 09:17
Opium Magnet
Account deleted
Yah, the production/sound quality was a let down, but looking beyond that, this album is surprisingly good, always worth a listen.
25.08.2008 - 05:45
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
This is a really good album, it's to bad these guys are no longer, unless 3 new members join the band, but i doubt so. My favorite song by them still lies in Day Into Night .. 'Absolution' killer piece of music right there.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
24.04.2009 - 22:32
RockeRoy

I think this album has some good elements, but overal nothing special. i think they lack something in their songwriting.
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
31.12.2010 - 19:34
Guib
Thrash Talker
Lol... ok so 1. They don't lack anything in their songwriting thats just how they do it you may not like it but nothing's missing when talking about TDM.

2. I love this album Its amazing even tho I think they did a better job overall on Day Into Night ! This rocks.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
03.06.2016 - 20:33
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
The lyrics are always amazing. Unlike a lot of Death Metal bands, they do not talk about gore, etc. They decide to talk about topics related to life, death and beliefs. I really enjoy this factor because it gives the music more meaning.

well that part is why somehow DM is not good, more BM bands sings not about st. ann, as death sings about gores, don't like such lyrical topics
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 8058 | This month: 9