08. Killing Ground
09. Poltava
10. Long Live The King
11. Ruina Imperii
12. Twilight Of The Thunder God [Amon Amarth cover] [Mailorder edition bonus]
13. In The Army Now [Status Quo cover] [Mailorder edition bonus]
14. Feuer Frei [Rammstein cover] [Mailorder edition bonus]

Additional info
Carolus Rex will be available for purchase on single Swedish CD (Sweden only) and single English CD plus a limited edition which features a double CD with both language versions. The double CD will also feature a different cover artwork.

The album is produced by Peter Tägtgren who is also doing guest vocals on "Gott Mit Uns" and "Twilight Of The Thundergod".

During the recording of Carolus Rex Sabaton also recorded a song where Joakim sings in German, a cover of "Feuer Frei" by Rammstein.

Staff review by
Baz Anderson
Rating:
Thundering double bass drums, demented bumblebee keyboards, Joakim's bold cries of war - it couldn't be anything other than Sabaton. Carolus Rex is the Swede's sixth album with an added twist that it is available in both Swedish and English versions. It is also the band's last album with the original line-up, having shed four members a couple of months ago.

Read more ››
published 09.06.2012 | Comments (31)

Guest review by
ScreamingSteelUS
Rating:
I must admit that I was disappointed when I first listened to Carolus Rex. By the time this album was released, Sabaton had been firmly established as one of my favorite bands, and from the moment I held Coat Of Arms in my hands I was eagerly awaiting the next masterpiece. Upon first listen, I was a little confused and let down. Carolus Rex sounds more like Sabaton than any previous Sabaton release. I could take literally any song from this album and tell you which older songs had been mashed up to produce it (for example, "The Lion From The North" is "Coat Of Arms" plus "40:1," "Gott Mit Uns" is basically "Union"). Fortunately, I refused to accept that Sabaton could produce anything less than pure, weapons-grade excellence, so I listened again and again until I understood it.

Read more ››
published 28.12.2012 | Comments (7)

Guest review by
ManiacBlasphemer
Rating:
Since The Art Of War, Sabaton has been releasing a new studio album in a 2 year cycle. Can we expect something different from Carolus Rex? I am a fan of their works ever since The Art Of War was unleashed with a brilliant adaptation of Sun Tzu's writings. While Coat of Arms lacked spirit and seemed overly recycled, Carolus Rex is a product that seems very similar to their 4th studio effort; with much more force and vitality behind it, one can use an adjective such as catchy for this kind of effort. Same like The Art Of War, Carolus Rex is a concept album revolving around King Carolus (Gustav II Adolf) of Sweden who reigned around the 30 year war period. He is credited to be the king that helped Sweden become an important part of the international community back in the 17th century.

Read more ››
published 09.01.2013 | Comments (4)

Found in 36 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 2

Comments: 50   Visited by: 1124 users
29.05.2012 - 12:36
Rating: 10
RhaegarTargaryen
Telcontar
I must admit I was very very worried about how this album will sound, plus given the Swedish lyrics. Although "The Art of War" remains a top notch for me from Sabaton, this is definitely a fantastic album. Yes it does sound almost identical as "tAoW" and "CoA" but, given the fate of few bands I like, I prefer for Sabaton to not change the style that is obviously working, than to force a change just to sound different and "make a step forward" and fuck it up like a lot of bands did in the last few years ... 8.75 / 10.

P.S. I think I prefer the Swedish over English version Oh and Peter sounds pure fuckin awesome
----
... For years I have traveled in coldness,
But my heart is warm as the darkened sun above me...
Nothing can never take away
What I've seen with these tired eyes
30.05.2012 - 14:40
Rating: 9
Warman
Erotic Stains
When it comes to the design, this might be the sexiest album of all time. Looks like a little book, with interviews with the members, beautiful artwork inside and historical facts to every song there. I could put this thing beside my litterature about the swedish golden years in my bookshelf.
----
31.05.2012 - 21:59
Fredd
Account deleted
I need to listen to the Swedish version.

EDIT: WHEEEEE! I have, and it's as awesome as the English version. And I've never imagined that a power metal album would make my favourite of a year
01.06.2012 - 23:06
Heart_of_METAL

In my opinion is 'Carolus Rex' the 2nd best album of them after 'Art of War'. The best piece on album is 'Gott Mitt Uns' where Joakim has done a great job with his voice and with Peter Tägtgren. They sounds great, together.
The last Sabaton's song which I was listening again and again, was 'Cliffs Of Gallipoli'. For this time, it is 'Gott Mitt Uns' my No.1 of Sabaton. I like whole album from start to end, even very good cover, of Amon Amarth's 'Twillight of the Thunder Gods'.

10/10
04.06.2012 - 20:40
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
After listening to it a lot: Best album of 2012
25.06.2012 - 15:59
Shadowcross
The Summoner
Definitely best power album i've heard so far this year
04.07.2012 - 00:26
Rating: 5
Zombie94

Highly overrated.
08.08.2012 - 15:05
Rating: 6
Andreas

As much as I'm a fan of Sabaton, I'm a bit disappointed about this one.
11.08.2012 - 18:32
Rating: 8
Drummer149

First Power Metal band I actually enjoy...wow.
19.08.2012 - 05:08
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
Written by Drummer149 on 11.08.2012 at 18:32

First Power Metal band I actually enjoy...wow.

Maybe because they are not cheesy??
19.08.2012 - 11:36
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 19.08.2012 at 05:08

Hhahahahahahahaha. Thse guys are cheesy as hell just like your regular power metal band... Maybe just a bit less cheesy but still cheesy nonetheless.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
19.08.2012 - 11:49
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I love this album because it is so cheesy

and i got the double-cd edition as a birthday gift and it is the single most beautiful piece in my collection so far...they simply got the job done
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

19.08.2012 - 14:52
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Everyone likes a bit of cheese from time to time. Unless you're lactose intolerant.. in which case this thing is lethal.
19.08.2012 - 22:24
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 19.08.2012 at 11:36

Written by Guest on 19.08.2012 at 05:08

Hhahahahahahahaha. Thse guys are cheesy as hell just like your regular power metal band... Maybe just a bit less cheesy but still cheesy nonetheless.

I was thinking in Heloween when I wrote that
07.09.2012 - 21:07
Spellsword95

Unbelievably awesome album!

I spent hours reading stuff about Charles XII and Swedish-Russian wars in 1700s.
Sabaton should be played in schools at history classes.
10.10.2012 - 21:30
Metall Jesus

Saw staff review and was conflicted by the lineup changes so I skipped the release and missed them when they came to town. The friends that went said it was their best performance in the area yet and after being impressed by the Amon Amarth cover I finally gave the album a spin.

Seriously regret dismissing them so readily.
01.07.2016 - 22:16
Sircheesewhistle

That Amon Amarth cover is so god damn good.
01.01.2017 - 17:14
Reaper_Redeemer

That was a quality album I was not aware of. I liked:
02. The Lion From The North
03. Gott Mit Uns
06. The Carolean's Prayer
08. Killing Ground
09. Poltava
11. Ruina Imperii
18.12.2018 - 17:10
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Great album, specially swedish version, their best. Great idea home town history. I am proud that Swe had empire, European countries had colonies. That was time ehhh, anyway as young lad, I liked a lot metal no matter what language. Now I want HM only in english, swe, nor maybe ger can work. Black, Folk, metal in Germanic languages only.
Beck here, this is bands best album!
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
14.07.2022 - 09:38
Maha_Niwakiru

A useful album when it comes to accompany teachings on the Thirty Year War - the students like it.

Hits total: 28270 | This month: 57