08. Killing Ground
09. Poltava
10. Long Live The King
11. Ruina Imperii
12. Twilight Of The Thunder God [Amon Amarth cover] [Mailorder edition bonus]
13. In The Army Now [Status Quo cover] [Mailorder edition bonus]
14. Feuer Frei [Rammstein cover] [Mailorder edition bonus]

Additional info
Carolus Rex will be available for purchase on single Swedish CD (Sweden only) and single English CD plus a limited edition which features a double CD with both language versions. The double CD will also feature a different cover artwork.

The album is produced by Peter Tägtgren who is also doing guest vocals on "Gott Mit Uns" and "Twilight Of The Thundergod".

During the recording of Carolus Rex Sabaton also recorded a song where Joakim sings in German, a cover of "Feuer Frei" by Rammstein.

Staff review by
Baz Anderson
Rating:
Thundering double bass drums, demented bumblebee keyboards, Joakim's bold cries of war - it couldn't be anything other than Sabaton. Carolus Rex is the Swede's sixth album with an added twist that it is available in both Swedish and English versions. It is also the band's last album with the original line-up, having shed four members a couple of months ago.

Read more ››
published 09.06.2012 | Comments (31)

Guest review by
ScreamingSteelUS
Rating:
I must admit that I was disappointed when I first listened to Carolus Rex. By the time this album was released, Sabaton had been firmly established as one of my favorite bands, and from the moment I held Coat Of Arms in my hands I was eagerly awaiting the next masterpiece. Upon first listen, I was a little confused and let down. Carolus Rex sounds more like Sabaton than any previous Sabaton release. I could take literally any song from this album and tell you which older songs had been mashed up to produce it (for example, "The Lion From The North" is "Coat Of Arms" plus "40:1," "Gott Mit Uns" is basically "Union"). Fortunately, I refused to accept that Sabaton could produce anything less than pure, weapons-grade excellence, so I listened again and again until I understood it.

Read more ››
published 28.12.2012 | Comments (7)

Guest review by
ManiacBlasphemer
Rating:
Since The Art Of War, Sabaton has been releasing a new studio album in a 2 year cycle. Can we expect something different from Carolus Rex? I am a fan of their works ever since The Art Of War was unleashed with a brilliant adaptation of Sun Tzu's writings. While Coat of Arms lacked spirit and seemed overly recycled, Carolus Rex is a product that seems very similar to their 4th studio effort; with much more force and vitality behind it, one can use an adjective such as catchy for this kind of effort. Same like The Art Of War, Carolus Rex is a concept album revolving around King Carolus (Gustav II Adolf) of Sweden who reigned around the 30 year war period. He is credited to be the king that helped Sweden become an important part of the international community back in the 17th century.

Read more ››
published 09.01.2013 | Comments (4)

Found in 36 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 50   Visited by: 1124 users
01.01.2012 - 22:59
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
Great! I can't wait to listen this.
02.01.2012 - 01:12
Rating: 10
Wraith000

The wait ...begins .... O_0
----
\m/ - - \m/
23.01.2012 - 09:14
DragonSavior X10

The fact that they visited the Alamo makes me hope they write a song about it. Whether they do or not, this is still going to be an awesome album.
05.03.2012 - 03:58
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
Yeah, the most awaited album since my metal journey begin.
20.03.2012 - 19:57
DragonSavior X10

Those covers sound really interesting. I've always enjoyed hearing covers that require the band to change up their style a bit. I wonder what Sabaton sounds like as an extreme power metal band.
21.03.2012 - 12:54
FeskarN

Amon Amarth cover?! This will be intressting!
----
The Land Is Silent... Before The Storm!
21.03.2012 - 12:57
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Wow, I'm almost looking forward to hearing those covers more than the actual album.
23.03.2012 - 05:39
DragonSavior X10

Sabaton really should do a cover album.
10.04.2012 - 17:35
cyheadbanger

Can't wait!
15.05.2012 - 12:42
rasto

Album carolus rex - top, top, top. Vote:9!!!!!!!!!!
18.05.2012 - 18:56
Deefer46

Just got hold of a copy. Sabaton rule the metal world - fucking EPIC stuff. God I just love this band........
19.05.2012 - 06:49
Stryfe14

I've had a copy of this album for the past couple days...and let me just tell you guys, this is by FAR Sabaton's best album yet. They REALLY pulled their shit together with this one and knocked it out of the park. It seems that when they don't have such a vvide content variety, and focus just on a concept album they can really lock down the sound they are going for. I seriously hope they do more concept albums after they knocked the ball out of the park with this one.

The heaviest songs are without a doubt the hard hitting intro track "The Lion From the North", "1648" - which had the subs in my car pounding harder than even the Primo Victoria song "Panzer Battalion; "Killing Ground" and "Poltova" are right up there, too. "Poltova" is probably my favorite track. It has a lot of that same "40:1" feel from The Art of War album - you'll find yourself soon singing along with the booming choir when they shout, "Russian Army's blocked the way! 20,000 lost that day!" It's just so powerful.

"A Lifetime of War", "The Carolean's Prayer", and "Long Live the King" are some refreshing melodic ballads which Sabaton masterfully crafts. The intro to "The Carloean's Prayer" opened with a very nice, dark sounding section of keyboard which really helped set the mood for the whole "medieval" feel of the album.

Of course the single, and title-track, "Carolus Rex", delivers a very powerful anthem right in the middle of the album, which is a very nice transition from "The Carolean's Prayer".

"Runia Imperii" was a very interesting track. It's dark. It's Swedish. It has that mystic feel where unless you speak Swedish you obviously don't understand them, but at the same time you perfectly understand the song.

I found the drumming to be outstanding on this album, it really stands out a lot more than it has in previous releases. The increased hi-hat use gives a more "live" feeling to the album as a whole.

Joakim did a fantastic job with the new crew and whipping them into shape for their re-recording of this album, it's evident where there are some subtle changes in the Sabaton "sound", but I think we'll have to wait until the next release to really see how the new guys do when they actually write the music together.

The only thing that I didn't really like was that the lyrics seemed a little too repetitive on a couple songs, it would've been great to get some more variety in between the choruses. Another thing was that it felt like the songs were way too rushed, almost as if Sabaton was afraid of going over the 5-6 minute mark. Songs like Poltova, 1648, or Killing Ground definitely had another solid minute, to minute and a half, left in them when they ended. Maybe it's just because I'm a huge Sabaton fan and have all of their songs practically memorized, but I could definitely hear some recycled riffs and melodies from earlier songs - most likely not intentional, but it sure doesn't detract any from the awesome new songs.

All in all, I would give this album a 8.9/10. "Carolus Rex" definitely sets the bar high for the next Sabaton album to come!
22.05.2012 - 18:25
Rating: 9
arwestromen

Got it today
----
Don't fuck with sweden
We gave you IKEA
24.05.2012 - 18:56
tdeg

Honestly, this is probably the best thing Sabaton has ever done. In a genre that has so many cliches, this manages to sound really fresh and also drives home what makes power metal great. I'll be bold and say this is one of the best power metal albums ever released. The only flaw I can find with it is that some of their English lyrics can be somewhat flat and factual (to paraphrase Angry Metal Guy) and that's a problem that's always been there for Sabaton and it's not a major negative. Apparently, the Swedish lyrics are more thoughtful but either way it's full of bombastic, fist-pumping anthems, face-melting solos, and clever composition. Combined with Joakim Broden's roaring baritone, what more can you ask for?
25.05.2012 - 19:59
Warman
Erotic Stains
I have a couple of retarded (best) friends, they hate metal and believes that Sabaton is a nazi band because they do many songs about WWII and now also a theme album about our warrior kings Karl XII and Gustav II Adolf, whom some nazi groups in Sweden use a symbol for some far-fetched reason. I've talked some sense into them (my friends, haven't met those nazis yet). But when I listened to this album I nearly shit my pants, thinking about how the hell I would defend Sabaton this time. In the chorus to the song "Ett slag färgat rött" they sing "gjuter blod", which to me sounded like "judeblod", meaning "jew blood" in swedish. I was like "WTF, seriously?". After reading the lyrics I stopped sweating.
----
25.05.2012 - 20:13
tdeg

Nazi bands tend not to get signed to lucrative Nuclear Blast deals or open for Priest and Maiden.
25.05.2012 - 20:16
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by tdeg on 25.05.2012 at 20:13

Nazi bands tend not to get signed to lucrative Nuclear Blast deals or open for Priest and Maiden.

Of course not, but they're into hip hop so they really wouldn't know even though I explain.
----
25.05.2012 - 20:25
Panik✠Pitbull

Best Sabaton album of all times!
----
Nichts ist unmöglich!
25.05.2012 - 20:55
Rating: 7
Snbn

Written by Panik✠Pitbull on 25.05.2012 at 20:25

Best Sabaton album of all times!

True!
25.05.2012 - 21:02
Risto
Wandering Midget
I've heard the title track and it was kind of meh. Good things have been said about it though, so might give it a spin
25.05.2012 - 23:38
malaikat

"Gott Mit Uns" - wasn't that weaved into Wermacht soldier's belts in WWII?
26.05.2012 - 01:23
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by malaikat on 25.05.2012 at 23:38

"Gott Mit Uns" - wasn't that weaved into Wermacht soldier's belts in WWII?

Yes, but it's origins go farther back to the Teutonic Order of Germany and appearing on Frederick I of Prussia's coat of arms. It means God With Us. Wonder why a Swedish band would be so fascinated with Germany.
26.05.2012 - 01:48
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by Guest on 26.05.2012 at 01:23

Wonder why a Swedish band would be so fascinated with Germany.

"Gott mit uns" was also the motto of Gustaf II Adolf, former king of Sweden - nicknamed The Lion from the North
26.05.2012 - 11:18
malaikat

Written by Guest on 26.05.2012 at 01:23

Yes, but it's origins go farther back to the Teutonic Order of Germany and appearing on Frederick I of Prussia's coat of arms. It means God With Us. Wonder why a Swedish band would be so fascinated with Germany.

I love metal, you learn something every day Thanks!
26.05.2012 - 16:41
Fredd
Account deleted
Excellent stuff. This new lineup is boss.
27.05.2012 - 19:52
Rating: 8
DelightfulJim

This might just be their best record to date.
27.05.2012 - 23:35
FeskarN

Written by Guest on 26.05.2012 at 16:41

The album was recorded with the old members not the new ones.
----
The Land Is Silent... Before The Storm!
28.05.2012 - 00:17
Fredd
Account deleted
Written by FeskarN on 27.05.2012 at 23:35

Written by Guest on 26.05.2012 at 16:41

The album was recorded with the old members not the new ones.

Hmmm. My bad.
28.05.2012 - 17:09
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
Just look at the band, folks. I knew this was going to be a badass album since the very beginning when I was watching the studio footage videos. By the way, do your guys know how they recorded the soldiers march??
28.05.2012 - 17:57
arwestromen

Written by Warman on 25.05.2012 at 19:59

I have a couple of retarded (best) friends, they hate metal and believes that Sabaton is a nazi band because they do many songs about WWII and now also a theme album about our warrior kings Karl XII and Gustav II Adolf, whom some nazi groups in Sweden use a symbol for some far-fetched reason. I've talked some sense into them (my friends, haven't met those nazis yet). But when I listened to this album I nearly shit my pants, thinking about how the hell I would defend Sabaton this time. In the chorus to the song "Ett slag färgat rött" they sing "gjuter blod", which to me sounded like "judeblod", meaning "jew blood" in swedish. I was like "WTF, seriously?". After reading the lyrics I stopped sweating.

Haha I thought the same about the "jew blood" well the Gott Mit Uns quote isn't really that good for your defence either....heard somwhere Hitler used it...even tho it is an OLD phrase used by the german army
----
Don't fuck with sweden
We gave you IKEA

Hits total: 28269 | This month: 56