Metal Storm logo
Greatest decade of thrash metal.

Original post

Posted by , 02.01.2012 - 07:09
Thrash is a popular and old metal and there has been many kinds of it throughout the years. Which decade do you think had the best thrash, be it bands, albums, styles or anything else. I would probably have to say the 80's or even the 90's.

Poll

Which decade was and or is the best for thrash?

80's
None
2000's
90's
Two or more

Total votes: 116
24.01.2014 - 02:58
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Guest on 23.01.2014 at 22:14

80s here. Nothing really interesting happened in the 90s and 00s and the thrash revival is mainly a bunch of copycat bands (most of whom are at least decent though) with only a few original bands like Vektor.

arg.... I disagree
Though 80's still win.

This is my reply. Good day to you sir.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
27.01.2014 - 02:09
SuicidalCyco
Account deleted
Written by Guib on 24.01.2014 at 02:58

Written by Guest on 23.01.2014 at 22:14

80s here. Nothing really interesting happened in the 90s and 00s and the thrash revival is mainly a bunch of copycat bands (most of whom are at least decent though) with only a few original bands like Vektor.

arg.... I disagree
Though 80's still win.

This is my reply. Good day to you sir.

hmm.... I agree, with you.
03.06.2014 - 19:42
Zombie94

Written by deadone on 17.01.2014 at 06:46

Thrash did evolve. It evolved into Death Metal (via Possessed, Kreator etc) and Groove Metal (via Sacred Reich, Exhorder etc) as well as Death Thrash (e.g. Nunslaughter's Goat album) and what was called Horror Thrash (basically cross between Thrash, Grindcore and Death Metal and a pinch of punk e.g. Ghoul and Frightmare)).

It also evolved into stuff like The Haunted, Witchery and Darkane that combined elements of Swedish Melodic Death Metal.

Definition of the Thrash Metal is pretty narrow though and arguably any movement outside its definition changes the style to something else.

Also arguably Megadeth's RIP and Metallica's Black album aren't really Thrash.

I'm quite late replying to this but haven't been on here in months! I was saying that thrash as a genre itself hasn't changed very much. It certainly did have major influence on those genres you mentioned, but they aren't thrash. For example, death metal has a quite a few different branches (technical, brutal, melodic, death and roll etc.). Thrash does have some bands that take the natural attributes of the genre and put their own spin on it, but I was merely noting that it occurs less in thrash than most other metal genres. Also the most popular new generation of thrash metal bands like Evile and Municipial Waste are really just doing the same as bands like Exodus and early Metallica, but worse. Whereas popular new age death metal bands like Amon Amarth and Behemoth sound very different to the genre's ancestors like Death or Morbid Angel.

I actually thought that Trivium's album 'Ascendancy' was one of the freshest sounding albums of the 21st century that could fall under the thrash umbrella. Another one I liked from a new band, though not sounding particularly original, was the band Essence's debt album.
10.06.2014 - 02:06
JayMo4

I don't know how it wouldn't be the 80's. I do agree with the previous posts about how there's too much mimicry in modern thrash. There are definitely a few bands out there that sound good, but in most cases you've heard it all before.
26.06.2014 - 06:47
Totenlieder

80s no doubt, but there was some good thrash in the 90s and there still is good thrash now a days.
----
Blut & Krieg
26.06.2014 - 06:51
Ganondox

I was never a big fan of thrash, but it's pretty clear 80's thrash is generally much better than later thrash.