05. Down And Out
06. Mental
07. Last Line Lady
08. My Salute
09. Go It Alone
10. Will Of A Demon
11. Sinking Ships
12. Event Horizon

Baptized In Blood was my favourite band at one point, and when this album came out, I was ecstatic. I couldn't wait for more insane solos, bone-crushing riffs, and pulverising drums. I bought the album the week it came out, and loved it to bits. After a few more listens, my love faded. It's a great album... but not the "10" material, I originally thought it to be.

I would class Baptized In Blood as a "party thrash" band; the songs contain bits of metalcore, death metal, thrash, and even a hint of glam. Which is probably why my personal rating has dropped over time. It doesn't have the replay value required for me to continue praising it. The music is headbang-inducing; it makes want to finish your drink and hop into the mosh pit. It's full of solos, which is a delight to lovers of technicality. The rhythm guitars are also quite good: the riffs always have some variation, but they occasionally get boring, especially if you are listening to the whole album at once. Matt Harris is extraordinary on bass; he also puts on a good show during live performances. The drums are good - above average, nothing special - but they have their place on the album. I also have to point out that Johl has excellent footwork; his bass drumming is incredible.

Adam has a great voice as well. It doesn't have that much range, but it sounds perfect for the music they play. It has a good rasp - nothing too overkill - so he doesn't sound like a bear with a sore throat. The lyrics, however, are incredibly cheesy. I suppose this is where the glam influence kicks in. It is actually a plus in my mind; it raises your spirits upon hearing it, and even makes you giggle. The cheesiness is not overwhelming either; you can still take the album seriously.

The overall sound of this band is great, even including the cheesy lyrics, and the fact that several songs are re-recorded from the previous album. This is recommended to fans of metalcore, thrash, and partying in general!

Highlights: "Dirty's Back", "Down and Out", "Last Line Lady"

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 8
Production: 8

Written by Boxcar Willy | 05.01.2012

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 4   Visited by: 29 users
05.01.2012 - 04:49
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
I think at some point you either directly or indirectly recommended this band to me, and I actually checked out a few songs on YouTube.

That being said, I wouldn't rate it quite so high... Probably a mid-6 or so. I don't really enjoy the thrashy melodic metalcore sound.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
05.01.2012 - 04:58
Rating: 8
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Troy Killjoy on 05.01.2012 at 04:49

I think at some point you either directly or indirectly recommended this band to me, and I actually checked out a few songs on YouTube.

That being said, I wouldn't rate it quite so high... Probably a mid-6 or so. I don't really enjoy the thrashy melodic metalcore sound.

I prefer their previous one to this, its a little rough around the edges, but sounds way better. try kickin' ass and takin' the blame.

if you don't like that theres no hope

btw this is your 10000 post. We should throw a party or something.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
05.01.2012 - 05:03
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Boxcar Willy on 05.01.2012 at 04:58

But ya... didn't like the 60 seconds I bothered listening to.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
05.01.2012 - 05:05
Rating: 8
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Troy Killjoy on 05.01.2012 at 05:03

Written by Boxcar Willy on 05.01.2012 at 04:58

But ya... didn't like the 60 seconds I bothered listening to.

seems your too cult for us mortals.
oh well.

----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS

Hits total: 4029 | This month: 6