Metal Storm logo
Soilwork

18.05.2006 - 12:33
/ELVET (O)
Account deleted
One of the best gothenburg style bands ever in my opinion, despite their last album which although wasn't that bad, certainly was their weakest.

I totally dig Speed as a vocalist, his clean vocals are sublime (especially on the later work) and his screams are very much above average. The groovy riffs are catchy as hell and overrall the songwriting is brilliant.

I do prefer their more melodic stuff ala, 'A Predators Portrait' through to 'Figure Number Five' but 'Natural Born Chaos' for me is their masterpiece.
18.05.2006 - 12:48
Eight
Shapeshifter
The band is great, iagree whit you Velvet, they are one of the best bands in their style, and what comes to Speed, hes vocals, clear and screems are awsome, i wonder why is he beeing called "Speed" , you can also find him singing in Disarmonia Mundi, an also gothenburg/melodeath style.
----
Book: "I am a Shepherd. Folks like a man of God."

Mal: "No, they don't. Men of God make everyone feel guilty and judged."
18.05.2006 - 13:05
/ELVET (O)
Account deleted
Heh, no idea! I'm seeing them live for the first time in just under a month so maybe it has something to do with their performances? Maybe he's just really fast onstage
18.05.2006 - 13:19
Skepnad
Account deleted
I like the gothenburg style and so I like Soilwork. I agree with the things that were said before. A great band.
I also know Disarmonia Mundi. Good band, but I prefer Soilwork.
18.05.2006 - 14:08
/ELVET (O)
Account deleted
I've not heard much of Disarmoni Mundi's Speed stuff. I do have it but I much prefer the album before which was more progressive.
19.05.2006 - 04:59
Amrott
man Soilwork made some great albums, my first was Steelbath Sucide they sounded so raw i pretty much prefer it except i like Speed screeming style now way more than then when it was monotonous

second fav is NBC, i think it was their best balanced album, they overkilled with Stabbing the Drama imo, except for the song # 10 : Blind Eye Halo!! they showed they still had it in them to make old school good stuff

check out a live vid of them performing the song on Youtube
http://youtube.com/watch?v=pMmAQ4H7nU4&search=soilwork
19.05.2006 - 05:34
Raiden
Down Under Staff
elite
Well, to tell you the truth, I really dislike this band. Their new album was one of the worst Gothenburg/Death/Melo-whateveryoucallit-Metal I've ever heard. It just sounded so bad with those keyboardy type sounds and everything. Terrible. Thankfully their earlier stuff is better than their newer album, but barely. Their earlier stuff is still quite bad. Their vocallist's style and just him is awful. Not a band for me.
----
"Scream for me Melbourne!!!!"
- Bruce Dickinson

"I don't see any god up here"
- Yuri Gagarin (while in orbit, 1961)
20.05.2006 - 01:22
PRIMAL FEAR
Account deleted
Frankly, I can't tolerate "speed's" vocals, although they were much better when they started off than in comparison to their material now.
20.05.2006 - 01:35
Horlequism
Account deleted
I only like a couple of their songs...their keyboard work fits really well too...my fav songs would be Follow The Hollow, As We Speak, Overload...
20.05.2006 - 22:04
Stigmatized
Written by Raiden on 19.05.2006 at 05:34

Well, to tell you the truth, I really dislike this band. Their new album was one of the worst Gothenburg/Death/Melo-whateveryoucallit-Metal I've ever heard. It just sounded so bad with those keyboardy type sounds and everything. Terrible. Thankfully their earlier stuff is better than their newer album, but barely. Their earlier stuff is still quite bad. Their vocallist's style and just him is awful. Not a band for me.

I agree. All of their material is rather bad. A mediocre band at best, probably not even that good. I have no desire to hear any of their material again.
21.05.2006 - 15:06
danzig111
Account deleted
I heard them for the first time when i was 14 or 15 years old, i wasn't impressed, I'm still not impressed to this day. I think their music is dead boring.

I actually agree with Necromancer_s and Dream_Of_Hate......They might sound okay without all those excessive keyboards, i don't know.....Melo-Death is all about GUITARS!!! Not KEYS!!!!
22.05.2006 - 04:09
Proffesor Chaos
Account deleted
I strongly agree with danzig111, Soilwork had its spotlight in melo death only, i dont consider them as the gothenburg hordes. Peter Wichers was the spot light but after the albumb Natural Born Chaos( The First Album I,ve Listened to) Soilwork Just Like the hasbeens In Flames allowed them selves to enter the mainstream world, soilwork is soldout the keyboardist is your typical linkin park, for those of you who hates linkin park shall be the smartest and the wisest. Soilwork is a hasbeen. Their albums figure number five and thier lates work stabing the drama is their signs of the destructive word: CHANGE. Thats is why I think Peter Wichers left the band, i bet all of you of disagree that it was not the reason that he was tierd of the tours but the fact THE FACT that soilwork will change for the worse. These bands like In Flames and soilwork shouldn't be considered Gothenburg metal nor the ovious Melo death. Their new style is that little kids music known as Metal Core. Youe see now?........Legends theyve could have become, in flames and soilwork but if you want to change change the name of the band.
P.S. iF Soilwork found a way to turn speed srtids clean vocals into solos (his rythyms in singing) and to bring back the bass's old rythyms and finally to tell seven Karlson to fuck off with the techno rythyms.

They were great From Natural Born Chaos and before.
13.06.2006 - 02:43
Ibanez07
Account deleted
I've been a fan since about 2003. Though I can acknowledge that they have changed, I still love their new stuff. You gotta look at the line-up changes they've had over the years too. Each album I like for different reasons, and I love Stabbing the Drama's intensity, great stuff, I can listen to it all the way through unlike most CDs.
28.06.2006 - 10:44
Eight
Shapeshifter
Bloode Yeah! Soilwork comes to Estonia 09.09.2006! a day after is my birthday so bloody hellowa present
----

28.06.2006 - 12:26
SteTech
I'm seeing them at Earthshaker Festival in July. I like their music, if they're any good I'm gonna go see them again when they tour the UK
28.06.2006 - 12:59
Eight
Shapeshifter
If they will dissapoint me, im going to blow up whole stage so lets all take hands and pray that they will do a nice show aye. Actually i spoke whit people that were on their concerts and they say that Soilwork is kinda better live
----

28.06.2006 - 23:25
X-FrEaK
lol soilwork are not that great! inside gothenburg metal we have a lot better(ex. Arch Enemy, Dark Tranquillity even In Flames)

ive heard some freaking comercial songs from soilwork..thats not bad for me...i like nu metal anyway
----
30.06.2006 - 18:57
Eight
Shapeshifter
I have no doubt that Arch Enemy, Dark Tranquillity and even In Flames are better than Soilwork (imo), but this topic related to Soilwork.
----

30.06.2006 - 20:30
Daru Jericho
Soilwork are just OK. Nothing special but OK for a listen once in a while. They're coming here in September on their tour but I'm giving it a miss. Too many other bands coming here at that time and Soilwork just isn't worth the sacrifice.
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

30.06.2006 - 22:54
Slottet av Take
Account deleted
Soilwork used to be amazing...."A Predators Portrait" is a fantastic melodic death album, right up there with the best in my opinion. But then with "FN5" they completely lost the plot and went even a step further than In Flames in seeking popularity. Now theyre just shit, its all about Speed anyway hes got his head stuck up way too far in his own ass.
01.07.2006 - 05:52
Jason W.
Razorbliss
staff
Written by Guest on 30.06.2006 at 22:54

Soilwork used to be amazing...."A Predators Portrait" is a fantastic melodic death album, right up there with the best in my opinion. But then with "FN5" they completely lost the plot and went even a step further than In Flames in seeking popularity. Now theyre just shit, its all about Speed anyway hes got his head stuck up way too far in his own ass.

....100% agree here.

Soilwork was so good before. I wouldn't put them as a favorite of mine, but damn some of their songs just simply rock. "Natural Born Chaos" is a smoothly produced disc, and was accessible in a good way. My personal favorite of mine, and as many have said, really their last interesting disc. FN5 was one of my disappointments of the year it was released, and I really haven't gone back to the band since.

Their older work (before NBC) really didn't entertain me enough to listen to the discs over and over again, but tracks like "My Need" and "Needlefeast" are simply killer on their own. They are comparible to In Flames for sure in the way they completely sold out... however, In Flames at least didn't bore me to death the way Soilwork has for some reason.
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
04.07.2006 - 19:37
nick35
Account deleted
i havent really had a chance to hear any of their death metal stuff. ive mainly heard their newer stuff. from what ive heard so far they are pretty cool.
05.07.2006 - 06:40
Ibanez07
Account deleted
I've had the chance to see them live, and though I love their recorded stuff; they kinda dissapointed me. Something about them just didn't seem right, maybe timing or something. Even at the House of Blues their sound quality was poor- I could only pick out what songs were playing by the drums...thats how bad it was. Terrible live distortion I suppose. Or maybe just an off day?

Eitherway, I would reccomend to Jester Eddie to stick to the recorded stuff...and just try to not be too disapointed if they ain't as good, eh?
05.07.2006 - 07:01
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I think this band is alright. I really think that Speed's singing is fucking lame, but they're older stuff is pretty good. I haven't heard everything, but so far my favorite album by them is Chainheart Machine. There's no lame singing, it's fast, and it has some great guitar solos.
23.07.2006 - 03:16
Fane
Band is ok. Some good albums and songs like "Figure Number Five" and "Natural Born Chaos". Music is good, but vocals could be better. Nothing is perfect
----
Coffee for power
Music for creativity
Sarcasm for fun
26.07.2006 - 01:30
Simon
Account deleted
Their sound is o.k., nothing special and I hate their Light the Torch video.

Not among my favorites for sure.
30.07.2006 - 10:43
Eight
Shapeshifter
Written by Guest on 05.07.2006 at 06:40

Eitherway, I would reccomend to Jester Eddie to stick to the recorded stuff...and just try to not be too disapointed if they ain't as good, eh?

Thanks dude for the advice Still im looking forward to see them live
----

10.08.2006 - 21:37
Slasktotten
Account deleted
i've listened to some of there stuff, and i gotta say i really like 'em. especially stabbing the drama. also saw them live here in gothenburg (i live there) at metaltown, and, i thought they where great live (unlike som post thought). but, hey, maybe they just had a bad day, and they did play on the homefield of sweden here
10.08.2006 - 23:50
Eight
Shapeshifter
Now this post does cheers me up
Between-er, your from Afganistan ?
----

11.08.2006 - 07:06
Southern Wind
Account deleted
I couldn't respect Soilwork anymore after "Stabbing The Drama"