04. Within The Charnel House Of Love
05. Cruel Lover
06. She
07. The Thousandfold Epicentre
08. Fire Burning
09. Everlasting Saturnalia
10. The Madness Of Serpents
11. Feverdance

Retro-esque bands are always a touchy subject. On one hand, you've got the obvious downside; it is quite derivative. On the other hand, when it's done right, you've got a celebration of past greats. There's absolutely nothing wrong with digging up the past, so long as you do it with some creativity and personality. Let's just say The Devil's Blood do it with class; a blatant nod to the past, combined with a little bit of harder-edged modernization and just enough of their own flavour to make it distinct.

We're living in an era that is celebrating the modernization of classic rock - The Sheepdogs, The Black Keys, and maybe to a slightly lesser extent Rival Sons & The Answer have all seen their share of praise from mainstream media. While these bands achieved their accolades by creating some easy flowin', radio friendly rock n roll, The Devil's Blood chose a path that nods more toward the dark, menacing, noisy psychedelic. They pull off the psychedelic in a fashion that's equally experimental as it is accessible. It's the noise found in 70's LSD-soaked experimental rock, put through a heavy 2000-whatever era studio, interwoven with melodic riffs that sound like Quentin Tarantino's wet dream.

Oh, and those vocals! Man, do they ever tie the whole thing together; bringing in mind something along the lines of Janis Joplin. So the timbre might only rarely sound similar, but the delivery is along the same stream; a somewhat controlled wailing, that sounds more natural, and emotive than focused on being as technically precise as possible (not say this lady doesn't have the chops.)

Sure, you're probably not going to hear The Thousandfold Epicentre on the radio alongside many of these other retro bands popping up these days, but The Devil's Blood are offering something a little less moon-spoon-june, creating music that makes a nice & friendly crossroad between derivation and innovation.

Written on 09.01.2012 by Former EIC. Now just a reviewer guy.

Comments page 2 / 2

Comments: 37   Visited by: 360 users
11.01.2012 - 19:25
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.01.2012 at 16:50

In total I spend just above 8000 euros on cds, casettes and vinyls.

O_O My mom earns less than that over the course of one year, and the average pay in Serbia is around 30% lower than hers. Whoever's been stealing our country's money, please, give it back, so we can spoil ourselves for the first time in twenty years
----
7.0 means the album is good
11.01.2012 - 19:42
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Milena on 11.01.2012 at 19:25

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.01.2012 at 16:50

In total I spend just above 8000 euros on cds, casettes and vinyls.

O_O My mom earns less than that over the course of one year, and the average pay in Serbia is around 30% lower than hers. Whoever's been stealing our country's money, please, give it back, so we can spoil ourselves for the first time in twenty years

I have to pay 6000 euros rent a year allready which is immensely cheap here
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.01.2012 - 20:14
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 11.01.2012 at 19:42

I have to pay 6000 euros rent a year allready which is immensely cheap here

I personally consider myself a lucky Serbian person for living with four other people in a two-room apartment instead of one room like a lot of people have, that my family can afford paying most of the bills and buying non-crappy food, that we all have our own cellphones (although my brother hasn't bought himself a new one for six years) and for "spoling" myself with a couple of cheap-ass shirts or pieces of jewelry each month What is funny in this whole story is that other European people complain about a three year recession and in the meantime we're all high-fiving each other because our standard has been so low in the past 20 years, it can't possibly go lower.

Most of kids in my generation are pretty humble and it makes me happy, although it makes a lot of other kids hungry for cash and doing whatever they can to get it. But I'm pretty happy about it because, if I'm meeting some of my needs with no money whatsoever, I can't wait to see how it will be like when I finish college and start earning on my own.
----
7.0 means the album is good
12.01.2012 - 00:06
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
You won't hear me complain about my standard of living at all, recession or not. Funny thing thing is even though there is a so-called recession here people still earn as much as they used to and get their yearly salary raises. Inflation isn't too bad either and they can still go on holiday, eat properly, pay their rent etc. Us Westeners should stop complaining. We're spoiled rotten.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

12.01.2012 - 01:51
@gent_-_orange

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 12.01.2012 at 00:06

You won't hear me complain about my standard of living at all, recession or not. Funny thing thing is even though there is a so-called recession here people still earn as much as they used to and get their yearly salary raises. Inflation isn't too bad either and they can still go on holiday, eat properly, pay their rent etc. Us Westeners should stop complaining. We're spoiled rotten.

The recession has really hit me hard I have had to fire three of my maids and sell two of my five Rolls Royce's just so we can keep our holiday home in the Bahamas, Sometimes I wonder how I get by at all.

Really you are right, We are spoiled rotten, But years of being spoiled rotten have got us bitching about how "bad things are" in reality we are the lucky ones.
12.01.2012 - 10:51
Sworn

Best album of 2011 in my opinion.
21.09.2016 - 17:38
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Just listened to this album again. Damn, most probably The Netherlands best rock album ever. And the production is just FLAWLESS. You can really hear that a lot of money was spent on that.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

Hits total: 8392 | This month: 14