09. Poor Millionaire
10. 1/16/2011
11. Boys Of Fall
12. Leveler
13. Internal Cannon [Acoustic version] [Deluxe edition bonus]
14. Pangaea [Performed by Bells] [Deluxe edition bonus]
15. Boys Of Fall [Performed by Zachary Veilleux] [Deluxe edition bonus]
16. Empire [MIDI version] [Deluxe edition bonus]

I have been a fan of August Burns Red ever since a friend showed me the song "Back Burner". I was amazed at the technicality I was hearing, so when I got home I hopped on the computer and started downloading a few songs. Sadly, I wasn't too impressed, so I let my love die a little... until now.

Levelers is a very strong effort. It combines amazing technicality and melody, keeping you interested for the entire near-50 minute playback. The music is crazy technical, with amazing solos and extraordinary riffs. Needless to say, this is sure to please.

The first thing I loved when I heard this album was the intense guitar work. The awesome intro to "Empire" blew me away, although it's marred by the odd inclusion of a children's choir. And the bass is just as insane as the guitar... maybe even more insane. It follows along at points before deciding to step into the limelight on its own. And the drums are just as mad. They have odd beats within other beats that combine into one awesome musical extravaganza. The vocals on this album are the only letdown. Throughout most of the songs they are a pretty weak, and repetitive. However, he does sing/scream/growl in his own unique way, and in that essence, it is a plus.

Now most of you probably know that August Burns Red is a Christian band. Now, for the most part, they keep Jebus out of things - that is, until you reach the title track. It has quite a few forgive me Fathers and praise Jebus'. Thankfully that doesn't take away from the overall quality of the album.

Overall, this is quite the effort; it's technical yet melodic, and it must be heard. For fans of As I Lay Dying and All That Remains.

Highlights: "1/16/2011", "Boys of Fall"

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 8

Written by Boxcar Willy | 07.01.2012

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 6   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 39 users
10.01.2012 - 14:48
Rating: 8
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Coconut Racecar on 10.01.2012 at 08:43

Excellent review. i agree with you on everything.

Thanks, I prefer Messangers to this, but this is still very good.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
12.01.2012 - 18:19
Coconut Racecar

Agreed. anything's better than Constellations in my opinion, though lol.
12.01.2012 - 18:56
Uldreth

Written by Coconut Racecar on 12.01.2012 at 18:19

Agreed. anything's better than Constellations in my opinion, though lol.

What is wrong with Constellations?

I've discovered this band not long ago (I knew of them long before that but neevr actually bothered to listen to anything) and so far I've been mainly familiarizing myself with Constellations and I kind of like it.
19.02.2012 - 10:00
ChibiDemigod

Great review,I must listen their first albums.
19.02.2012 - 16:22
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by ChibiDemigod on 19.02.2012 at 10:00

Great review,I must listen their first albums.

Thanks!
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
16.12.2012 - 20:54
Coolingsrock

Thanks on the review. Never got around to this one yet. I will now. I doubt anything will ever top Messengers.

Hits total: 3419 | This month: 8