Metal Storm logo
Most influential metal album released the last 15 years.

Original post

Posted by Aristarchos, 10.01.2012 - 15:22
In the early 90's many new influential bands came and some new sub-genres emerged. But since late 90's not much new have happen. Bands are mixing the already existing sub-genres instead of creating new ones. The last new sub-genre I could think of that has emerged is post-metal, and that was with Neurosis' "Through Silver In Blood". The same year Therion released "Theli", which could be said turned symphonic metal into a sub-genre. But what have happened since then? OK, maybe djent has developed into a genre on it's own, but that is so far a very small genre.

So my question is: what is the most influential metal album the last 15 years, or since 1997 to date? I'm not asking about albums you think will be influential for the future, but for albums which influence have been proven.

1997 saw the release of HammerFall's "Glory to the brave", which is usually considered to be the album that made power metal popular again. But since that album only reinvented the 80's sound, and most of the newer bands were more influenced by older power metal bands like Helloween and Stratovarius, I can't say that is the most influential release.

The same year Rhapsody's "Legendary Tales" saw it's release. I personally think that was a more influential album since it brought in some new element to the power metal genre, the symphonics.

And then we have the nu metal scene, which was big in early 00's, but it was based on KoRn's debut released in 1994, so I can't think of any very important release in that genre, and the most commercial bands like Linkin Park could not be considered metal to me.

The nu metal hype was replaced by metalcore. I can't think of any specific metalcore album that has been influential. Most metalcore bands name In Flames and At The Gates' "Slaughter Of The Soul" (released in 1995) as their main influence, or maybe bands like Pantera and Sepultura (but that is early 90's).

We also have the folk metal scene, but although it has gained popularity in the 00's, it has been around since early 90's and the band Skyclad, and then a lot of different bands have emerged. I think Finntroll is the band that is most responsible for making the genre popular, or do you have any suggestions on any specific influential album in the genre released since 1997?

My vote for the most influential metal album since 1997 goes to Children of Bodom's "Something Wild", which (together with their later releases) is a typical example of how metal has evolved the last 15 years. Instead of creating new genres they are mixing as many genres as possible, and started what here usually is refered to as "extreme power metal", and had many followers.

edit: I have since I started this thread changed my mind, and I now think that Isis' "Oceanic" could be considered the most influential album. Neurosis was earlier (and definitely more influential, but outside the timeframe with their most influential album), but Isis expanded the sound further, and there are a lot of bands who have followed their path. I think that post metal is the genre that have evolved the most since 1997.
06.08.2013 - 01:53
Pennywise
Account deleted
Seeing all the so called Djent bands rising it has to be Chaosphere by Meshugahh which has their most famouse song e.g "New Millennium Cyanide Christ". Release 1998

A second guess would be Leviathan by Mastadon since there are many bands that after the release of the album had a very similiar. Release 2004

Meshugahh for Djent or whatever and Mastadon for Sludge.
11.09.2013 - 11:50
Aristarchos
Written by Warman on 16.07.2013 at 11:50

I'd say one of Children of Bodom's first three releases, or one of Nightwish earlier works are the most influential during the last 15 (or rather 16 now) years. Maybe something by In Flames though. Maybe even Cradle of Filth? Or maybe not. But CoB, Nightwish and In Flames released some solid metal classics and from there worked their way up to be metal bands most have heard of. Although it's impossible to point out the album during these years which have had the most impact on the whole metal scene.

I agree with CoB, IF and Nightwish being three of the most influential bands. I consider them, along with Opeth, as the big four of "modern" non-alternative metal. The problem with In Flames is to find one specific album that has been influential enough, maybe Jester Race, but that was released in 1996.
11.09.2013 - 17:15
Aristarchos
Written by theFIST on 23.07.2013 at 12:42

I"d say Origin - Informis Infinitas Inhumanitas
At least to my knowledge technical death metal before was a diverse bunch of bands playing somewhat complex death metal, while now most seem to build on the clean origin sound

That is an album I had no idea was influential, but tech-death/brutal death isn't my genre, so thanks for your comment.
17.10.2013 - 18:37
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Anyone listened to ALL metal albums listened in the last 15 years? Yes, then can I have their opinion here please..
18.10.2013 - 01:09
Lady GaGa
Account deleted
Nasum - Inhale/Exhale
Dimmu Borgir - Enthrone Darkness Triumphant
Obtained Enslavement - Witchcraft
Botch - We Are The Romans
Converge - Jane Doe
At The Gates- Slaughter Of The Soul
18.10.2013 - 13:02
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 18.10.2013 at 01:09

All older than 15 years although the first two only just.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.10.2013 - 13:28
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by 3rdWorld on 17.10.2013 at 18:37

Anyone listened to ALL metal albums listened in the last 15 years? Yes, then can I have their opinion here please..

That's like saying in order to have a valid opinion on the best metal albums of all time, you have to have listened to every metal album ever created... that's asking a bit much I think...
18.10.2013 - 17:14
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by Angelic Storm on 18.10.2013 at 13:28

That's like saying in order to have a valid opinion on the best metal albums of all time, you have to have listened to every metal album ever created... that's asking a bit much I think...

Thats exactly why we can never determine that.

Well not every single one, but atleast you need to be aware of atleast the majority of albums in every genre (both the underground and mainstream ones).
18.10.2013 - 23:12
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by 3rdWorld on 18.10.2013 at 17:14
Well not every single one, but atleast you need to be aware of atleast the majority of albums in every genre (both the underground and mainstream ones).

I don't think even the people who are most knowledgeable about metal have heard the vast majority of metal albums (underground, and mainstream) in existence. The amount of metal albums ever made, must number at least into many thousands, maybe even hundreds of thousands... there's not a person on earth who can have heard most of the metal albums ever created.
18.10.2013 - 23:16
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by Angelic Storm on 18.10.2013 at 23:12

there's not a person on earth who can have heard most of the metal albums ever created.

Thats maybe why most of that sort of lists are compiled by a number of people. My point being there is no such thing and no one can determine THE most "influential" album for any given period of time, we can only guess at it and come at an estimation.
23.12.2013 - 22:00
Aristarchos
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.10.2013 at 13:02

All older than 15 years although the first two only just.

Since this thread started in 2012 I think albums from 1997 are acceptable
31.01.2014 - 18:17
Aristarchos

I didn't know that one was considered influential. It is quite an underground band, and I just recently checked them out, although it sounded way better than dimmu.
01.02.2014 - 14:52
Sean 79
Decapitated - Nihility i think was pretty influential on the tech death scene. They were still fairly young at the time and anyone who saw them live at the time had to be impressed. They must have influenced alot of other young musicians at the time.
05.02.2014 - 02:57
UPDIRNS
Lamb of God As the Palaces Burn and Ashes of the Wake were hugely influential. Also Machine Head The Blackening, In Flames Colony, Soilwork The Chainheart Machine, Wintersun Wintersun and Evile Enter The Grave have all had a big influence on the metal scene and have lead to some trends.
07.02.2014 - 03:30
Lit.
Account deleted
And who has Wintersun influenced?

...Aside from influencing me to stay as far away from them as possible?
07.02.2014 - 03:49
Vombatus
Potorro
Yep, more like other bands influenced Wintersun coz they play the typical extreme PM that was already done long before by other bands.... Same for Evile. It's rehash thrash, not to mention that album was released in 2007
07.02.2014 - 08:49
Lit.
Account deleted
The main difference being MW is actually superior to the original band they copy (Nuclear Assault).

Bonded By Blood went to shitsville, but Evile managed to redeem themselves with the modest album Skull after two shamefully mediocre albums.

None of them influential, however.
07.02.2014 - 08:59
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Guest on 07.02.2014 at 08:49

The main difference being MW is actually superior to the original band they copy (Nuclear Assault).

They don't copy but they were influenced from NA. You can see in first two albums of MW.
10.02.2014 - 15:09
IronAngel
Written by deadone on 08.02.2014 at 05:16

Their influence was due to them bringing back old school Thrash which was kind of dead at that point.

They showed others you could do this and get some degree of popularity.

Influence isn't just pioneering new music - it's sometimes changing the scene or just releasing a kick arse album in an older already established style.

I don't know much about thrash, or the tides of mainstream popularity, but this is a good point worth remembering. Someone who released an innovative, avant-garde masterpiece probably did not have a great influence on the masses or the music industry. From the Scandinavian and probably European perspective, we're probably looking at something like Nightwish - not for innovating or even being very good, but for breaking through in media, selling craploads of albums and pulling a bunch of other melodic, melodramatic metal bands to success in their wake.
23.02.2014 - 17:43
Aristarchos
Written by deadone on 07.02.2014 at 03:33

Written by Guest on 07.02.2014 at 03:30

And who has Wintersun influenced?

...Aside from influencing me to stay as far away from them as possible?

Funnily enough they've had the same influence on me.

I definitely agree with that