Metal Storm logo
Boring songs from Iron Maiden?

Original post

Posted by , 12.01.2012 - 00:23
Ok, here's the favorite band from any metalhead! Even the best bands has weak points before the eyes of someone. Let's discuss about songs from Iron Maiden that we find "boring". For me, "Wildest Dreams", "Chilhood's End", "The Apparation" and "Invaders" are quite boring songs. What about your guys?
12.01.2012 - 23:09
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guib on 12.01.2012 at 23:05
-_- You make me sad Troy, I don't know if its actual sadness or total desperation

Well I am a killjoy...
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
12.01.2012 - 23:36
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Troy Killjoy on 12.01.2012 at 23:03

/ruins thread

And now everyone will follow your example, and soon Maiden fanboys will engage in a discussion against haters and everyone's is going to think they're so cool while they're, in fact, reanimating age old discussions.
----
7.0 means the album is good
12.01.2012 - 23:41
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Milena on 12.01.2012 at 23:36
And now everyone will follow your example, and soon Maiden fanboys will engage in a discussion against haters and everyone's is going to think they're so cool while they're, in fact, reanimating age old discussions.

Well as long as they say they're sleep-inducing songs that act as a cure for insomnia, at least they explained.

And I welcome the fanboys as much as the haters. Keeps the threads more exciting.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
12.01.2012 - 23:41
malaikat

Written by Angelic Storm on 12.01.2012 at 23:09

Written by malaikat on 12.01.2012 at 14:55

"Infinite Dreams" from BNW. Seriously, no matter how much I'he tried, that song just bores me to tears. I'm not say I don't like their longer, slower songs, but this one I almost hate.

I think you mean "Dream Of Mirrors"... "Infinite Dreams" is on 7th Son, not BNW.

Yep, my bad, "Dream of Mirrors" is the one

Not the fan of "Infinite Dreams" either, but I can stand it if I'm listening to the entire album. If I'm listening to BNW I usually skip "Dream of Mirrors".
12.01.2012 - 23:44
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by malaikat on 12.01.2012 at 23:41

Written by Angelic Storm on 12.01.2012 at 23:09

Written by malaikat on 12.01.2012 at 14:55

"Infinite Dreams" from BNW. Seriously, no matter how much I'he tried, that song just bores me to tears. I'm not say I don't like their longer, slower songs, but this one I almost hate.

I think you mean "Dream Of Mirrors"... "Infinite Dreams" is on 7th Son, not BNW.

Yep, my bad, "Dream of Mirrors" is the one

Not the fan of "Infinite Dreams" too, but I can stand it if I'm listening to the entire album. If I'm listening to BNW I usually skip "Dream of Mirrors".

Shit, that BNW mislead me too
----
7.0 means the album is good
12.01.2012 - 23:48
Tormentor666

I like Dream of Mirrors, Blood Brothers, for instance, sounds more boring to be honest.
----
WARFARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
13.01.2012 - 00:55
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Tormentor666 on 12.01.2012 at 23:48

I like Dream of Mirrors, Blood Brothers, for instance, sounds more boring to be honest.

Totally agreed. "Blood Brothers" is definitely the song from BNW that I like least. It's not a terrible song, but definitely a bit boring.

@Malaikat, Mora: heehe
13.01.2012 - 01:44
Ghostdancer

Written by Guest on 12.01.2012 at 16:32

Written by Ghostdancer on 12.01.2012 at 04:34

Afraid to Shoot Strangers...Weekend Warrior...Bring Your Daughter to the Slaughter...The Prophecy...The Clairvoyant...and quite a few others...especially the newer stuff.

I disagree with you, except for "Bring your daughter to the slaughter". The other songs are quite good, especially "Afraid To Shoot Strangers"...

I kind of thought there would be people who would disagree with that. I know that Afraid To Shoot Strangers and The Clairvoyant are well-liked, but for whatever reason I just feel like skipping to the next song.

I just took a break to listen to these songs again. I still feel bored with Afraid To Shoot Strangers, Weekend Warrior and Bring Your Daughter To The Slaughter (I couldn't finish that one) but I retract my opinion on The Prophecy and The Clairvoyant. The aren't my favorites but they are not boring. As a matter of fact I'm putting on SSOASS right now.
----
"Bullshit! You didn't convince me!"
13.01.2012 - 01:50
Ghostdancer

Written by R'Vannith on 12.01.2012 at 10:20

Afraid to Shoot Strangers...Weekend Warrior...Bring Your Daughter to the Slaughter...The Prophecy...The Clairvoyant...and quite a few others...especially the newer stuff.

The Clairvoyant? Surely not! That's one of my favourite IM tracks

As for boring tracks their last album was crammed full of them.

I changed my opinion of The Prophecy and The Clairvoyant...but I still stand by the others. Those two are not my favorite tracks...but they are not boring. I'm listening to SSOASS right now.
----
"Bullshit! You didn't convince me!"
13.01.2012 - 03:07
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
The Loooonnnleeeyyyyneeeeess of the loooooong diiisssstaance ruuunerr!
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
13.01.2012 - 03:11
RavenKing

Written by M C Vice on 13.01.2012 at 03:07

Really? I always liked this song very much.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
13.01.2012 - 04:11
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck

actually I find the entire Somewhere In Time album immensely boring and their first bad album.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.01.2012 - 05:47
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
I love that song (Loneliness) and most of that album.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
13.01.2012 - 06:03
Tormentor666

Written by RavenKing on 13.01.2012 at 03:11

Yah, me too! And I think they should add it to their set lists more often!
----
WARFARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
13.01.2012 - 08:02
Angelic Storm
Melodious

Me too, even if the lyrics used to make me think of the Olympics and stuff like that. It's one of Maiden's most underrated songs, and the instrumentation on it, (drums, guitar, and bass) is just outstanding.

As for "Infinite Dreams", I love that song very much. Definitely not boring. lol
13.01.2012 - 12:37
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Nothing wrong with Somewhere In Time imo, definitely one of Maiden's most underrated albums.

I don't think Dickinson might be able to do the stuff from that album live too good nowadays though.
13.01.2012 - 13:47
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Valentin B on 13.01.2012 at 12:37

I don't think Dickinson might be able to do the stuff from that album live too good nowadays though.

I'd kill to see them perform "Caught Somewhere in Time", "Deja Vu" and "The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner". Those three and "Childhood's End" from "Fear of the Dark" are among the most underestimated songs ever.

"Somewhere in Time" is by the way one of my absolute favourite albums. I think it was like the third album I ever bought.
----
13.01.2012 - 13:49
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Valentin B on 13.01.2012 at 12:37

Nothing wrong with Somewhere In Time imo, definitely one of Maiden's most underrated albums.

Agreed.

Well, Somewhere In Time is possibly when Bruce was at his peak vocally, so it wouldn't surprise me if he would struggle to sing the songs on that album album very well.
13.01.2012 - 13:52
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl

Don't know why, but I just find the song as tedious as it's subject matter.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
13.01.2012 - 17:10
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
Written by Ghostdancer on 13.01.2012 at 01:44

Written by Guest on 12.01.2012 at 16:32

I disagree with you, except for "Bring your daughter to the slaughter". The other songs are quite good, especially "Afraid To Shoot Strangers"...

I kind of thought there would be people who would disagree with that. I know that Afraid To Shoot Strangers and The Clairvoyant are well-liked, but for whatever reason I just feel like skipping to the next song.

I just took a break to listen to these songs again. I still feel bored with Afraid To Shoot Strangers, Weekend Warrior and Bring Your Daughter To The Slaughter (I couldn't finish that one) but I retract my opinion on The Prophecy and The Clairvoyant. The aren't my favorites but they are not boring. As a matter of fact I'm putting on SSOASS right now.

I think Afraid to shoot strangers is one of the best song in Fear Of The Dark, except for Wasting love and the title track.
What do you think about Fear Of The Dark (album)?
13.01.2012 - 19:11
Guib
Thrash Talker
I think the Angel and the Gambler is the most boring song Maiden ever created, in fact this whole album is boring.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
13.01.2012 - 19:42
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Siege Blade on 13.01.2012 at 19:34

INVADERS? Really the opening track to their best album boring?

Yep, that's one of their best and most underrated songs to me!

The most boring Maiden song ever is probably "Fortunes Of War" to my ears...
13.01.2012 - 20:09
@gent_-_orange

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 13.01.2012 at 04:11

actually I find the entire Somewhere In Time album immensely boring and their first bad album.

I wouldnt say it is a bad album, But its way too inconsistent to be labeled as a classic IMO. You have great songs like wasted years and caught somewhere in time and on the other hand too much filler such as the lonliness of the long distance runner, sea of madness and stranger in a strange land drag the album down. I can imagine it being well recieved back in the day but i doubt it was as well recieved as a lot of their other stuff.
13.01.2012 - 20:11
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by @gent_-_orange on 13.01.2012 at 20:09

I wouldnt say it is a bad album, But its way too inconsistent to be labeled as a classic IMO. You have great songs like wasted years and caught somewhere in time and on the other hand too much filler such as the lonliness of the long distance runner, sea of madness and stranger in a strange land drag the album down. I can imagine it being well recieved back in the day but i doubt it was as well recieved as a lot of their other stuff.

Actually all of Iron Maiden's albums, even their true classics contain some filler.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.01.2012 - 20:15
@gent_-_orange

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 13.01.2012 at 20:11

Actually all of Iron Maiden's albums, even their true classics contain some filler.

I agree with you on that, but i dont think the problem with fillers is as bad as it was on Somewhere in Time. But yeah, No Maiden album was perfect.
13.01.2012 - 20:34
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by @gent_-_orange on 13.01.2012 at 20:15

I agree with you on that, but i dont think the problem with fillers is as bad as it was on Somewhere in Time. But yeah, No Maiden album was perfect.

Totally agreed that SiT has the biggest probblem with fillers when looking at the classic era Maiden albums
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.01.2012 - 20:49
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Going back to "runner", it's like the only song over 5 minutes on my workout playlist...
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
13.01.2012 - 21:21
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
What is filler
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
13.01.2012 - 21:51
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Bad English on 13.01.2012 at 21:21
What is filler

2- to 4-minute songs that are generally "simple". While there are usually two or three standout songs on an album, the rest are written in a lackadaisical manner without anything extraordinary happening: simple recycled riffs, typical drumming, nothing over-the-top in terms of technicality or speed. Basically songs that just "fill" the album - because if you only sell a 3-song CD, it's an EP or a single and that's not worth as much as a full-length. So write a slew of simple songs to fill the album and you make twice as much money per unit.
----
13.01.2012 - 21:54
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I see as fra for me I like IM lenght of songs even Runner song and Alexander is greta lenght , its much better how Dream Thatre and prog band stry play some 20 + song who's totaly boring
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing