Release date: 2011

01. The Sun, The Rain
02. Light
03. Yeah
04. Friends
05. Silence
06. Face To Face
07. Murder

Starchitect is a post-metal band from Ukraine... and yet another adherent to the ever increasing list of bands I've started lumping into that "SSDD" (Same Shit, Different Dudes) category. Post-whatever basically means some cool riffs, songs that slowly develop and cover a couple moods - Mellow Moment TM chill parts and angry, angsty outbursts of distortion and intense instrument pounding, all topped off with horribly over the top screamo vocals.

Their latest album is conveniently entitled No. Convenient? Sure. It answers a lot of questions.

While the music is generally pretty cool, is it anything different than what anyone else is doing?

No.

While the music is generally pretty cool, is it better than what anyone else is doing?

No, not really.

Do they employ those screamo vocals to better effect than the various other bands you've bitched about using a similar approach?

Hell No.

Go check out the opening minute of "Friends" - a demo version is on their myspace page. If you can endure the opening minute's salvos of hooting and hollering without wanting to jam a pair of scissors into your ear canal in an effort to rupture your eardrums, bully for you, you might be able to enjoy the album. While the demo version is rougher than the well-produced final product, I would rather watch the whiny highlights of Ross from the sitcom "Friends" (my second least favorite TV character ever, behind only Scrappy Doo) for however long this album is than listen to either version of the song of the same name.

In all honesty, the music is not particularly different than anything anyone else in the field is doing. I've received a slew of these type of albums over the past 15 months, and they fit right in the middle of the pack of the lot. It's not bad, but it's not really groundbreaking or new... they create songs well enough, but not well enough to create their own identity and really differentiate themselves from anyone else. They blend in.

And I've already bitched about the vocals once, but I've gone a full paragraph without denigrating them and feel the need to do so again. They drag what is already middle of the road down. Somehow they seem worse or more egregious than all the other SSDD acts out there. They made listening to the album (which would have been OK as an instrumental) a bit of a dreaded chore... like vacuuming. And they are about as pleasing to the ear as the deafening, roaring whine of the crumb and pet hair gathering, Geneva Convention violating Hoover my wife uses. The one which I have affectionately dubbed "The Noisemaker." Usually I crank the tunes to cover the sonic torment of the machine. Usually.

When it comes down to it, would I recommend this album?

Sadly, No.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 6
Songwriting: 6
Originality: 6
Production: 8

Written on 13.01.2012 by BitterCOld has been officially reviewing albums for MetalStorm since 2009.

Comments

Comments: 7   Visited by: 94 users
13.01.2012 - 08:22
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Well then No, I will not bother listening to this.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
13.01.2012 - 11:22
Well, at least somebody else is enduring the never ending stream of albums from Solitude Prod. too. Which usually a good thing, but not when you stumble across Starchitect... Having said that, I think you've been a bit harsh, like the vocals...
13.01.2012 - 17:47
Rating: 6
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Written by Merchant of Doom on 13.01.2012 at 11:22

Well, at least somebody else is enduring the never ending stream of albums from Solitude Prod. too. Which usually a good thing, but not when you stumble across Starchitect... Having said that, I think you've been a bit harsh, like the vocals...

i originally thought more of this release, back when i had like 10+ albums on queue and it was intermingled on my nice big "reviews to do" playlist. but as it narrowed down i got more and more listens, my enjoyment became less and less. i really do like the music well enough, but as i was staring at my screen "Friends" came on and it was just too much. i really just wanted it off.

perhaps they are the "beneficiaries" of repeated listens to albums of this style with vocals of this style and my patience/tolerance diminishing to grouchy levels.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
13.01.2012 - 18:10
Written by BitterCOld on 13.01.2012 at 17:47

Written by Merchant of Doom on 13.01.2012 at 11:22

i originally thought more of this release, back when i had like 10+ albums on queue and it was intermingled on my nice big "reviews to do" playlist. but as it narrowed down i got more and more listens, my enjoyment became less and less. i really do like the music well enough, but as i was staring at my screen "Friends" came on and it was just too much. i really just wanted it off.

perhaps they are the "beneficiaries" of repeated listens to albums of this style with vocals of this style and my patience/tolerance diminishing to grouchy levels.

If you think "Friends" is bad, you should listen to the split with Fading Waves...
13.01.2012 - 18:37
silenius
Listened to the demo friends, and the only thing that went through my mind whas'' wtf have i done to you to deserve this punishment´´, dont link shit like that in reviews, you might be prosecuted for comiting ear-rape man! fuck thats one bad vocalist.
13.01.2012 - 18:48
Rating: 6
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
It's not necessarily horribly bad as much as it is overused, overloud, and overplayed - particularly in this genre. perhaps used more sparingly, or more sparingly in conjunction with clean vocals, it might it exponentially less annoying and simultaneously more powerful within the music.

when i look at 2011 post-y releases i checked out my favorites all had less abrasive, less up front, less used vocals. A Storm Of Light (clean, awesome vocals which enhance already great tunes), Jesu (JB's wishy washy voice can be both heartfelt honest as well as annoying), and Dirge.

Endname did themselves a favor as well by opting for the distortion pedal over a frontman.

yet too many bands i reviewed (from the source Merch noted) all had the same basic formula, which drew attention to what I consider a flaw. of course, that is just my opinion and i am sure at least some folks like the screamo stuff (otherwise why would so many bands use it?) so they are just fine with these albums. more power to 'em.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
13.01.2012 - 18:52
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
The vocals... urgh.

NO.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.

Hits total: 3406 | This month: 3