02. The Unseen Hand
03. Doomwhore
04. Uroboros
05. Gravehammer
06. The Claw Is The Law
07. Progeny Of The Leviathans
08. Throne To The Wolves
09. Sacerdotum Tyrannis

Vore. Gravehammer. Simple. Straightforward. Granted, a bit predictable, but I'll be damned if this isn't some intensely catchy death metal.

Vore has been kicking around some place or another since the early/mid 90's. After roughly 16 years of existence, they're not exactly up for creating any game-changers. Not many bands are at that age. What we've got is a band who just plays death metal well. There's no face-melting, brain-frying technicality, it's not overly brutal, it's just groovy, heavy death metal. 1 in maybe 100 bands comes along with something that sheds new light onto a genre in any truly innovative way, but that doesn't mean the other 99 are bad. Vore is the 99%. Playin' death metal, smashin' heads, yadda yadda yadda.

Unfortunately, that "yadda yadda yadda" is a big part of Gravehammer. Unless you're in that bread-and-butter sort of mood for some plain old death metal, nothing fancy, Vore is pretty bland. It's heavy riffs, fat ass bottom end, grooves that just stick, and deep guttural vocals. Nothing more. It would be nice to say this album just rolls over all others, as there is something quite endearing about no bullshit death metal like this, but it would be a lie. Gravehammer is good for the moment, but in 2 years...Scratch that, in 2 months, it will be hard to remember any stunning details regarding this album.

If you like death metal, you'll like this. It's good for what it is. What it is just ain't nothing to write home about.

Written on 14.01.2012 by Former EIC. Now just a reviewer guy.

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 164 users
14.01.2012 - 18:06
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I should check this out. I'm a fan of plain jane DM.

Nice review.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
15.01.2012 - 03:47
Mattybu
Cover art looks cool as hell. Almost sounds like the music in a way, straight up big up guy with a fuckin hammer, not messing around but nothing too innovative. Good job on the review.
16.01.2012 - 03:14
RavenKing
Monotonous. This stuff bores quite fast.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
16.01.2012 - 13:58
Zealot644
Basically what RavenKing said.

God, I'd feel awesome having that album art pop up somewhere in my playlist but there just isnt enough to it to make me want to listen.
21.01.2012 - 16:41
Pondscum
Gravehammer is a MONSTER of an album! I've had it for a few weeks and it's one of those albums that's a grower. It's not a modern death metal album where every song sounds like the same random collection of "br00tal" riffs slapped together. Vore has a simplistic style, yes, but that is deceiving. There's a lot more going on with Vore's music than what appears on the surface. "Doomwhore" is a riff-feast, the title track is a thunderous slab of blackened doom and "The Claw Is The Law" is epic. They display a unique mastery of the classical death metal aesthetic, though I'm sure it will never appeal to the short attention spans of the current instant gratification generation weaned on Ritalin and video games.

Hits total: 4524 | This month: 10