Metal Storm logo
False Metal: What's your definition

Original post

Posted by , 19.01.2012 - 05:27
I hear the term "False Metal" used every now and then to describe certain bands. I've heard everything from Slipknot to Daath called this. I would like to know how fellow Metal Storm users define false metal. And what are the requirements to be considered as such? What bands do you consider false metal?
03.12.2012 - 23:40
Fallen Ghost
Craft Beer Geek
Written by Guest on 03.12.2012 at 21:10

Written by Nukeassault on 03.12.2012 at 00:55

I would say anything that tries to make metal popular or mainstream. The whole idea of metal was to stray away from society, and bands like avenged sevenfold that are trying to make metal mainstream.

Stupidest thing I've ever read. Metal is already mainstream enough thanks to bands like Metallica and Iron Maiden, and you're acting as if the whole Glam movement didn't happen. The whole idea of metal is to not "stray away from society." Don't let the ideals of those kvlt underground black metal bands poison your mind.

Written by Fallen Ghost on 03.12.2012 at 20:19

It doesn't exist.. But, there are shit metal!

Such as?

In my opinion, like Attack! Attack!, We Butter The Bread With Butter and every kind of these bands!
04.12.2012 - 01:11
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by Fallen Ghost on 03.12.2012 at 23:40

In my opinion, like Attack! Attack!, We Butter The Bread With Butter and every kind of these bands!

Hmmm...
[From Wikipedia]
We Butter The Bread With Butter = Deathcore, nintendocore, electronicore, chiptune
Attack! Attack! = Metalcore, electronicore

I think your post is kind of useless, for the discussion at least. While they are... not that good, they are still by all technicality metal. "Shit" metal is still metal, and should in no way be considered "false metal."
04.12.2012 - 02:20
mojo

Thinking that Metal must be true or false, is false metal.

it's one of those phrases, if you use it, you lose. it's like the game.
----
Yeah. No. Wait, what was the question?
04.12.2012 - 02:39
nasmith

Written by mojo on 04.12.2012 at 02:20

Thinking that Metal must be true or false, is false metal.

it's one of those phrases, if you use it, you lose. it's like the game.

Goddammit you made me lose The Game....
04.12.2012 - 11:03
Fallen Ghost
Craft Beer Geek
Written by Guest on 04.12.2012 at 01:11

Written by Fallen Ghost on 03.12.2012 at 23:40

Hmmm...
[From Wikipedia]
We Butter The Bread With Butter = Deathcore, nintendocore, electronicore, chiptune
Attack! Attack! = Metalcore, electronicore

I think your post is kind of useless, for the discussion at least. While they are... not that good, they are still by all technicality metal. "Shit" metal is still metal, and should in no way be considered "false metal."

I just said that, there's no "false metal", but there are really bad metal music. That's all I said
04.12.2012 - 15:01
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Why does this thread still exist?
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
04.12.2012 - 17:13
Chriwalker
Account deleted
I will say that "False Metal" is Bands that should not be defined as metal at all. all have different opinions and I'm not gonna say this is what false metal is or not, but imo bands like Disturbed, Linkin park, Slipknot are not metal even though they have the genre tagged. Hard as they may be or as good, just my opinion and now lets go back listening to whatever music we like! ^^
04.12.2012 - 18:21
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 04.12.2012 at 17:13

Disturbed, Linkin park, Slipknot

What is it with you people? Nu/Rap metal.
04.12.2012 - 18:37
Warman
Erotic Stains
Do we still speak of "false metal"? Feels very much like the '90s in my opinion.
----
04.12.2012 - 18:58
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Short hair hehhe ok im joking
its hard to say , well for me if band dont make me bored in 1th song then its real if does its fake, countries, style, hair dosnt metter but meter how deep they are into metal, live it or simply play it and try to copp reAL BANDS
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
05.12.2012 - 01:48
Guib
Thrash Talker
False Metal... is something that is not metal, So Slipknot, Daath, Disturbed (...) are all metal. Wether you like it or not.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
06.12.2012 - 11:08
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
How about everything that is not metal period?

Michael Jackson and Justin Bieber should take the cake.

It may not be "harder" or "metallic-like", or even "rock", but it's still not "metal" regardless. :
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
06.12.2012 - 20:15
Delvestius

First and foremost among the pretenders is metalcore... It is no more than poorly disguised pop-punk. Killswitch Engage is almost respectable in my books, because at least they're real hard punk, though I would say they're still a bit more punk than metal. If I were to go on a metal crusade, metalcore would be on the top of the target list.

Glam Metal was the 1980s version of metalcore, much more pop rock than metal. I do find pleasure in a few bands such as KISS, and Def Leppard, but I do not consider them metal proper. Of course some metal bands did indeed have Glam-influenced songs and albums, like Judas Priest and W.A.S.P.

Both of the above genres became the "face" of metal during their respective times simply because they took genres that are widely popular and added some metal influence (which admittedly is an underground genre, at least here in the states.)

Industrial Metal... Some people don't consider it metal, but I see no reason why it shouldn't be considered metal.

Nu-Metal gets really fuzzy, particularly because I feel its one of the broadest genres with the least amount of common aspects. Linkin Park, Papa Roach, ICP, Korn, Puddle of Mudd... Not Metal. To say nothing of whether I like them (which I mostly don't) I would consider bands such as Godsmack, Disturbed, Sepultura and Slipknot metal. System of a Down is one of my favorite bands, and by the end of their discography they are definitely metal (I say they started off more punk), and they are sometimes classified as nu-metal, which I'm only okay with because its such a broad genre, as opposed to easily identifiable genres such as thrash or power. Overall though, i'd say nu-metal has a higher percentage of bands that are less metal than bands that are mostly metal.
07.12.2012 - 07:03
Edmund Fogg

Well I call them False Metal
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
10.03.2013 - 03:15
skrog1

I don't think there's such a thing as "false metal." I think that's a misnomer. I've heard things like, "If you use a turn table, you're not metal. If you use a keyboardist, you're not metal. If you use samples, you're not metal." I find that metal is more about the feeling and emotions of the music vs. the instruments used or the image of the band.
----
LIKE THE OFFICIAL SKROG FACEBOOK PAGE TODAY!!!!

http://facebook.com/Skrogband
30.05.2013 - 18:28
Lady GaGa
Account deleted
Written by Reality03 on 30.05.2013 at 18:10

There isnt a thing such as false metal. Metal is metal, period.

Exactly !

29.12.2014 - 14:05
Infernal Eternal

False Metal, anything written out of desire to pose.
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
29.12.2014 - 14:08
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Infernal Eternal on 29.12.2014 at 14:05

That would account for most black metal...
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.12.2014 - 14:14
Infernal Eternal

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 29.12.2014 at 14:08

Well, whatever! I don't listen to these days.
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
01.01.2015 - 02:30
Ganondox

There is no such thing as false metal. There is only "metal" and "not metal", or more precisely "totally fucking metal", "pretty fucking metal", "you could call this fucking metal", and "not fucking metal".

Written by Delvestius on 06.12.2012 at 20:15

First and foremost among the pretenders is metalcore... It is no more than poorly disguised pop-punk. Killswitch Engage is almost respectable in my books, because at least they're real hard punk, though I would say they're still a bit more punk than metal. If I were to go on a metal crusade, metalcore would be on the top of the target list.

No it isn't not, the only metalcore bands which sounds anything like pop punk are A Day to Remember and their knockoffs. At least based on what I've heard by them, Killswitch Engage is more than a bit more metal than they are punk.

Agree with the assessment on glam, though I don't find the fact it's more pop rock than metal to make it non-metal.

As for nu metal, can't really disagree with that either.
01.01.2015 - 03:18
Totenlieder

I don't get this
----
Blut & Krieg
01.01.2015 - 18:29
Ganondox

Written by Totenlieder on 01.01.2015 at 03:18

I don't get this

How many black metal bands are actually trve in their conduct and not doing an act?
01.01.2015 - 19:54
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
^ Implying that most black metal bands act for something they're not. Maybe twenty years ago, but not today.
Nowadays bm musicians dress normally and sing about diverse stuff just like in every other genre.
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
01.01.2015 - 20:09
Lit.
Account deleted
...And we're all very thankful for it.
01.01.2015 - 20:11
Totenlieder

I get this.
----
Blut & Krieg
22.01.2015 - 05:57
Amy

False metal is just a term used in bigotry and elitism within the metal community. I don't believe there is such thing as "false" metal. There are just good metal bands and there are bad metal bands. While I would personally place a band like Slipknot in the bad category (maybe even atrocious), that does not make them "false" because I just don't like their music and it is not my decision to judge whether or not Slipknot is a "real" metal band. Some people just think they are the Metal Police or something.
----
\m/
29.01.2015 - 22:48
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
Both "False Metal" and "True Metal" are terms cooked up by elitist pricks. While there are bands that are more "metal" than others, its a spectrum. All music is valid...until it isn't.
----
Daily underground metal recommendations at Metal Trenches.
Watch metal content on the Metal Trenches YouTube Channel.
20.02.2015 - 00:50
ADIresiduos

I guess false metal would be a wanna-be "metal" band..... Baby Metal anyone?

The rest are just sub-genres.

Mainstream is bad? of course not! this is how a lot more people will get to know metal and further expand the metal community.
I started with AC/DC (classic rock) many years ago and now I hear some death, prog, alt, metal, extreme, etc.
23.02.2015 - 08:33
Ganondox

Written by ADIresiduos on 20.02.2015 at 00:50

I guess false metal would be a wanna-be "metal" band..... Baby Metal anyone?

The rest are just sub-genres.

Mainstream is bad? of course not! this is how a lot more people will get to know metal and further expand the metal community.
I started with AC/DC (classic rock) many years ago and now I hear some death, prog, alt, metal, extreme, etc.

How is Baby Metal not metal? Sure, they're an idol group, but that doesn't make their music any less metal.
23.02.2015 - 12:51
raveneffect

"That's not Metal" translates into "It's not good Metal in my book"

Captain Obvious signing off