06. Something Out There
07. Grief
08. The Grave
09. Departure
10. Recollection [deluxe edition bonus]

Staff review by
R'Vannith
Rating:
Shovel parting earth and an unnerving scream signal an imminently approaching force. A force to be reckoned with it is one which mouths to you your own doubts and brings you to question your own sanity. The listener will find themselves in a position from which they cannot move, fastened tight within a straight-jacket of exceptionally resilient musical compositions.

Read more ››
published 04.11.2012 | Comments (17)

Found in 44 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 58   Visited by: 1003 users
25.01.2012 - 00:16
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Hopefully something continuing in the direction of After. Looking forward to it, regardless
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
25.01.2012 - 02:50
Rating: 8
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Is this confirmed? I thought he was doing a trilogy only?
----
rekt
27.01.2012 - 21:28
Mugthulhu

Ihsahn is too creative to stop.
11.02.2012 - 01:21
larrynmn

Ihsahn definitely does need to continue.. although i heard the same that there would only be three albums and then he would continue other avenues of making music aside from his solo project.
07.03.2012 - 10:35
Rating: 10
-N-

Can't wait'
19.03.2012 - 04:44
Rating: 7
Czerny Reiter

After is a favourite but I wasn't so fond of the other two albums. He still seems to have Munkeby's sax on retainer but I'll have to reserve judgment until I see it. Also, shouldn't some more details have emerged by now? Not even a title, weird...
13.04.2012 - 18:33
Night Sight

Really cant wait
----
Alone in birth
Alone in the darkness
Alone in death
Alone in the daylight
08.05.2012 - 06:17
Rating: 9
munson

Jesus titty fucking Christ this album is fantastic. Going to be in extremely heavy rotation when I can get more than a press stream of it. =/
08.05.2012 - 16:03
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by munson on 08.05.2012 at 06:17

Jesus titty fucking Christ this album is fantastic. Going to be in extremely heavy rotation when I can get more than a press stream of it. =/

How did you get to listen to it?
10.05.2012 - 03:49
munson

Written by Unhealer on 08.05.2012 at 16:03

Written by munson on 08.05.2012 at 06:17

How did you get to listen to it?

I was sent a steam by the person who handles PR for Ihsahn (Earsplit PR, if you're curious). I can't wait to get a high quality (read: lossless) version of this. Buying the record as soon as preorders are available.
17.06.2012 - 18:17
Neroese
Account deleted
Album leaked.
17.06.2012 - 18:23
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by Guest on 17.06.2012 at 18:17

Album leaked.

I love you
18.06.2012 - 03:32
Mideus

Odd that the album cover is of Nietzsche, upside down.
He was quite insane by that point in his life, too.
Interesting choice all the same.
18.06.2012 - 15:36
Neroese
Account deleted
Not bad.
18.06.2012 - 15:53
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Even better than After, that means it gets an eleven from me.

The guitar work is insane. I don't know how many tracks had input from Loomis, but Ihsahn threw a couple of godly leads in this one; he improved a lot.
And all the tracks are really diverse, he experimented a lot more in this record, damn perfect.
19.06.2012 - 01:41
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Definitely not bad, it may just need a few more spins....

Days later I have given this album more spins, and what do you know, this album is amazing. This is even better than After, and so many more awesome subtleties that really add up to something breathtaking. One of the best albums of the year!!!
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
19.06.2012 - 04:12
jesterhead57

Whats with all the great releases this year? The sax is used much more fittingly, much more enjoyable on this album imo.
19.06.2012 - 04:19
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
I suppose the question is whether or not I bother with this. Chances are it's just going to be more of the same sax-heavy progressive "black metal" mess as before.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
19.06.2012 - 04:30
jesterhead57

Sax is only on two tracks (and the bonus track). Last album too much sax for me. I was hoping for no sax on this but I don't mind the sax at all now that I've heard it.
19.06.2012 - 05:35
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by Troy Killjoy on 19.06.2012 at 04:19

I suppose the question is whether or not I bother with this. Chances are it's just going to be more of the same sax-heavy progressive "black metal" mess as before.

You'll certainly find some more on this release, but not the same
19.06.2012 - 06:38
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
The music is incredible, but something about the vocal production is bothering me. Will have to check back after a few more spins.
19.06.2012 - 07:40
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Written by Introspekrieg on 19.06.2012 at 06:38

The music is incredible, but something about the vocal production is bothering me. Will have to check back after a few more spins.
I don't see anything wrong, but I think it's a step up from After. The riffs and song writing in general are just better . I will have to listen to After as well to confirm some of my thoughts
----
loves 小巫
19.06.2012 - 08:07
oblong
Account deleted
Looking forward to hearing this, like many others I enjoyed 'After' (and his previous releases).
19.06.2012 - 14:26
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Just tryd. no this is not old Emperor, this album is good and bad, I like where he sings clean vox and use more metal sound not prog sound into songs, I mean instruments who play mor eprog metal less metal, he shood do it other way around than its be killer albums, + clean vox parts was awesome m still its not old good Emperor
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
19.06.2012 - 16:29
BaneConall
Fart Enthusiast
I'm still on the fence about this one. I'll give it another few days before I make up my mind.
19.06.2012 - 18:33
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Yet another sloppy mixture of prog and melodic black metal, albeit with more of an extreme feel and less saxophone abuse. This guy just stands on the edge of being able to deliver so much more but never knows when to cut down on the bullshit. A high 6 or low 7 is in order here in my opinion - moments of brilliance held back by a convoluted execution. He needs to condense his ideas and focus on playing out one riff at a time before throwing the kitchen sink at it.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
20.06.2012 - 06:08
oblong
Account deleted
Gave the leak a few listens and again with the stream this morning;
I also think that it is a step down from 'After', a much weaker sound overall. Clean vocals especially doesn't do much for me, I preferred them when they were more subtle - the atmosphere is also hard to define, again doesn't contain as much impact.
20.06.2012 - 15:58
3dd

NEED MOAR SAX!!!

Seriously, it's a very very interesting album. With the same elements of before, but with something different, more atmospheric perhaps. I will give it more listens but till now "Something out there" is my favorite.

But the album It's average to good overall. Overly progressive in some tracks.

Also, what the hell he tried to do in "The Grave? This song just sucks, WTF. (Reminded LuLu)
20.06.2012 - 16:39
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Great album, can't stop listening to it. Introspection, Catharsis, Something Out There and The Grave are probably the best tracks for me. Seeing others say its sloppy or 'too' progressive.. can't understand that myself, this seems like Ihsahn knows exactly where he's going with it, I was hooked from the first listen.
20.06.2012 - 16:57
Rating: 6
Opethian

Just got my copy yesterday. Congrats Ihsahn!

Hits total: 18734 | This month: 24