03. Internal Conflicts
04. Caveat (To The Coming)
05. Serpent Moves
06. Status: Still Thinking
07. Theme For Silence
08. Paralized, Mesmerized
09. Grin (Nails Hurt)
10. Host

In the mid 80's I was 15 years old moshing with bands like Voivod, Kreator and Exodus. I listened to Coroner's Punishment For Decadence and I remember thinking this is the "fastest" thrash I've ever heard. What a sound! I was instantly hooked and couldn't wait for their following releases. Next out were two terrific albums: No More Color and Mental Vortex. By the end of Mental Vortex I could tell Coroner was taking an alternate route other than the foundation laid by their first release, R.I.P. I was nervous because I had the feeling the next album would be notably different from their predecessors. I was correct, it was different, in an exemplary way.

Grin is a perfect combination of thrash, prog, and atmosphere. Longer songs, complex lyrics, dynamic sound structures and time changes make the album a terrific listen for any metal fan that likes the thrash and progressive genres. Each song has its own individuality. Original and remarkable, they allow the listener to discover something new with every subsequent and attentive listen. Coroner is a three-piece band but have always used dual and triple layered guitars for their recordings. On Grin this enhances the sound so much I can't even imagine what the album would sound like with one guitar, especially during the solos. The singing is a perfect counterpart to the music. Dark and violent but not in a harsh way. It's not forceful but doesn't take a back seat to the music either. Percussion and drumming is still fast in some areas but overall it is very fluid and precise. Not many heavy metal drummers stand out above the rest but every fan has used the word "underrated" and I think this applies here. Ambient noises and samples litter the background to give the album an atmospheric feel more so than any of their other releases. Splice all these ingredients together and what results is a secure sound as tight as dental floss.

Thrash and Coroner fans will say they went too experimental with this one. Prog/crossover fans who listened to Grin first will argue their earlier stuff is too fast, too raw. Grin is a technical marvel unlike any of the 700+ albums I own. It was risky and very ahead of its time. It pieces together the parts of metal I really enjoy and meld it together into a cohesive record. I strongly urge anyone who wants to see how Coroner evolved to this apex of work to start listening at the beginning of their discography first. If you can't wait that long and want to see what all the hub-bub is about, remember you will be treated to something that was never attempted before. Something so impressive and so important that I feel it is one of the greatest albums ever made.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 10
Production: 9

Written by tea[m]ster | 25.01.2012

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 8   Visited by: 114 users
25.01.2012 - 15:21
Rating: 9
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Indeed, an amazing and unique album. I do not know whether it is "ahead of its time" but I have not heard anything like Grin: the combination of brutality, immaculate, clinical riffage, and psychedelic/atmospheric passages. B R I L L I A N T !!!
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
26.01.2012 - 03:42
Rating: 10
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by K✞ulu on 25.01.2012 at 15:21

Indeed, an amazing and unique album. I do not know whether it is "ahead of its time" but I have not heard anything like Grin: the combination of brutality, immaculate, clinical riffage, and psychedelic/atmospheric passages. B R I L L I A N T !!!

How was the review Ktulu? This is my FIRST review EVER! I was trying to think back 20 years ago if anything resembled the mixture of thrash and prog like Grin. Maybe Nothingface by Voivod or Persistance Of Time by Anthrax?
----
rekt
26.01.2012 - 14:27
Rating: 9
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by tea[m]ster on 26.01.2012 at 03:42

Written by K✞ulu on 25.01.2012 at 15:21

How was the review Ktulu? This is my FIRST review EVER! I was trying to think back 20 years ago if anything resembled the mixture of thrash and prog like Grin. Maybe Nothingface by Voivod or Persistance Of Time by Anthrax?

The review is good: describes the little pieces the album consists of quite precisely. You only missed the vocals; I was thinking about reviewing this one too and thought to describe Ron Royce's with the following sentence: "Ron Royce's venomous and corrosive delivery might as well be his best vocal performance."

And yeah, do both Persistence of Time and Nothingface; I have problems getting into both of those.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
02.12.2012 - 15:06
Rating: 8
AndMetalForAll
kual21
Grin is definitely a very good album, combines perfectly progressive and thrash metal elements. They are one of the few bands, or the only band, that is able to mix these two types of styles. Mental Vortex was almost perfect, this one is not in the same level, but it a classic and one of the top albums of 90's. Definitely Coroner is an underrated band as well as most of their albums...
----
greets,
kual21
04.05.2014 - 21:16
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Great review.

Covered up every aspect clearly and indeed this album is freakin' amazing. I spun this disc today and suffice to say I had the best time of it. Brilliant.
26.01.2020 - 18:12
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Weird reviev, weird rating, did you get paid for it? Non ever would say so good things about this band worst album
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
26.01.2020 - 19:11
JoHn Doe

Written by Bad English on 26.01.2020 at 18:12

Weird reviev, weird rating, did you get paid for it? Non ever would say so good things about this band worst album

You know just because you dislike an album it does not mean everyone else should dislike it. too.

And what you say there is kinda insulting, so please stop, think before typing (if possible).
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
29.01.2020 - 02:23
Rating: 10
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by JoHn Doe on 26.01.2020 at 19:11

You know just because you dislike an album it does not mean everyone else should dislike it. too.

And what you say there is kinda insulting, so please stop, think before typing (if possible).

I refuse to talk to that clown. Ever. Thanks for the back up. Oh, and this is my very first review. Sunny times.
----
rekt

Hits total: 7184 | This month: 10