Release date: September 2011

Disc I
01. Scars
02. Fatigue
03. Dissolve

Disc II
04. Constriction
05. Insolence

Omit is a funeral doom band that highlights its female vocalist. Their tracks are long, their tunes are pretty solemn, and I don't know what bands to compare them to. I'm sure similar stuff has been done before, but by whom and when I can't say. Their style isn't one that generally interests me.

Nevertheless, I like Repose. It's the sort of album that's executed well enough to get people to leave whatever debauched, beer-soaked metal alleys they're more comfortable with to wander uptown to hear.

As is to be expected from solid funeral doom, this can get pretty depressing. The riffs will take Sham-Wows to your serotonin-producers and sledge-hammers to your contentedness; whatever masochistic nerves you have will stay buzzing pretty much throughout. Seriously, if some of the tunes on this don't get you staring sadly out a window thinking about death, car accidents, cancer, AIDS, and famine and shit, I'm not sure what will.

But then the vocals come in. If you can imagine a fragile female figure backstroking through a pool of estrogen, and watching said figure dazedly and contentedly from your depression window as your family and pets are being gutted by a pack of dour and relentless fascists with their bayonets behind you, you might have a general idea of what listening to this feels like. The riffs seek to crush while the vocals try to console and soothe. The singing isn't theatrical or melodramatic, and isn't very robust; there's an almost motherly quality to it. It undulates calmly and says "it's okay honey-bunches of oats... yeah, you're going to get stabbed to death after watching your family and pets get gutted by these riffs, but, you know, I understand, I'm here..." Which will make you feel almost fuzzy. Cozy even. And that's what makes this album interesting. It'll make you feel blue but at the same time warm, nervous but at the same time safe, helpless but at the same time not alone.

Which is a flowery way of saying it'll fuck with your mood.

Highlights: "Scars" and "Insolence"

Written on 25.01.2012 by Wormdrink's real name is George and he's an American.

Comments

Comments: 19   Visited by: 206 users
25.01.2012 - 22:20
Milena
gloom cookie
staff
Ahhh, wormdrink is back and kickin' ass.
----
7.0 means the album is good
25.01.2012 - 22:45
Edmund Fogg
Nice one! Figured you would be the last one to review funeral doom, but this is a really nice tease.
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
26.01.2012 - 01:45
Mattybu
Written by Milena on 25.01.2012 at 22:20

Ahhh, wormdrink is back and kickin' ass.

Yeah this review was hilarious and at the same time relevant... Well done
26.01.2012 - 12:04
Funeral doom? Not in the faintest! They are a melodic doom band... even the band themselves call their music "melodic doom"...

http://omitmusic.com/

Shame about the review too. That sort of parody, full of cliché, is not interesting either.
26.01.2012 - 13:02
wormdrink414
elite
Written by Merchant of Doom on 26.01.2012 at 12:04

Funeral doom? Not in the faintest! They are a melodic doom band... even the band themselves call their music "melodic doom"...

Just went on what I read on the page for this album here. It seems like a lot of the bands whose stuff I get to review aren't good with genre classifications to begin with, so I trusted Troy over Omit (and definitely over myself).

Can hear the funeral doom aspects based on the description of the genre I'm reading, but then again I'll admit that I don't know doom well at all. Wouldn't have even bothered reviewing this had I not enjoyed it as much as I did.
26.01.2012 - 13:33
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Logged back in just to comment on this, since MoD ever-so-graciously decided to cast shame on your review because you called it funeral doom (which, musically, is totally acceptable regardless of whatever the band says). Ya... they're melodic. So are Remembrance and Ankhagram.

Keep up the good work. It's nice to see you step out of your comfort zone and shine light on something like this, because it deserves the attention.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
26.01.2012 - 14:15
Rating: 8
Ag Fox
Angel No More
elite
Great review. definitely checking this out
----
loves 小巫
26.01.2012 - 14:47
Written by wormdrink414 on 26.01.2012 at 13:02

Written by Merchant of Doom on 26.01.2012 at 12:04

Just went on what I read on the page for this album here. It seems like a lot of the bands whose stuff I get to review aren't good with genre classifications to begin with, so I trusted Troy over Omit (and definitely over myself).

Can hear the funeral doom aspects based on the description of the genre I'm reading, but then again I'll admit that I don't know doom well at all. Wouldn't have even bothered reviewing this had I not enjoyed it as much as I did.

I agree it's difficult to pigeon-hole, but it easy to get it wrong if you (as in "people") don't listen to the genre frequently. I would never review a grindcore album, for example, because I know f*** all about it. You (as in "people") end up dishing out stereotypes... I'm still glad the album has been reviewed, though, because it deserves it. I didn't mean any offence, obviously. Just stating my opinion...
26.01.2012 - 14:52
Written by Troy Killjoy on 26.01.2012 at 13:33

Logged back in just to comment on this, since MoD ever-so-graciously decided to cast shame on your review because you called it funeral doom (which, musically, is totally acceptable regardless of whatever the band says). Ya... they're melodic. So are Remembrance and Ankhagram.

Keep up the good work. It's nice to see you step out of your comfort zone and shine light on something like this, because it deserves the attention.

Opinions, opinions, opinions... as a "fan" of all things doom, I just felt obliged to put the record (no pun intended) straight... in fact, when I listened to some samples from the album the first time 'round, I didn't even think it was doom, let alone the funeral pyre... I was called a moron (which I probably am... )...
26.01.2012 - 18:55
PocketMetal
Great review , can't wait to listen to this .
I always have a soft spot for female vocalists xD
26.01.2012 - 23:56
wormdrink414
elite
Written by Merchant of Doom on 26.01.2012 at 14:47

I agree it's difficult to pigeon-hole, but it easy to get it wrong if you (as in "people") don't listen to the genre frequently. I would never review a grindcore album, for example, because I know f*** all about it. You (as in "people") end up dishing out stereotypes... I'm still glad the album has been reviewed, though, because it deserves it. I didn't mean any offence, obviously. Just stating my opinion...

If you end up really enjoying an album from some genre you don't really know, I don't see the problem with reviewing it. Especially if no one else is itching to.

Don't really need extensive knowledge of a certain thing to try and explain what you enjoy about it. Yeah, it probably helps, but you wouldn't really need to know the nuances of Italian culinary history to think up 250 words or so about why you like calzones, right?
27.01.2012 - 00:57
Written by wormdrink414 on 26.01.2012 at 23:56

Written by Merchant of Doom on 26.01.2012 at 14:47

If you end up really enjoying an album from some genre you don't really know, I don't see the problem with reviewing it. Especially if no one else is itching to.

Don't really need extensive knowledge of a certain thing to try and explain what you enjoy about it. Yeah, it probably helps, but you wouldn't really need to know the nuances of Italian culinary history to think up 250 words or so about why you like calzones, right?

I think you do. But that's my opinion...
27.01.2012 - 09:55
Slayer666
^
Waiting for Marcel to settle this dispute.
27.01.2012 - 15:04
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Slayer666 on 27.01.2012 at 09:55

^
Waiting for Marcel to settle this dispute.

I wish I could, but I haven't heard Omit, yet.
But seeing the band consists of two Skumring members (of which Cecilie also guested on Akelei's debut album) and a former Funeral member I highly doubt that this will be funeral doom.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

27.01.2012 - 16:16
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Merchant of Doom on 27.01.2012 at 00:57
opinion

Shit, acording to your opinion I can't make a review for an album like... let's say Grayceon latest because I don't really listen to prog most of the time or Born Of Osiris because I don't like a lot of deathcore. I sure as hell haven't eaten all the pizzas in the world but I can still point out why someone's pizza sucks or not.

Most music around isn't that deep enough to make it hard to describe. In the few reviews I've done here, I rarely compare the album in question to another one... or to the genre it belongs. So why give a damn about the genre. You could totally write a grindcore review if you actually sat in a chair and listened to that album in particular a lot... Everyone can get a solid opinion about an album if they actually put effort to do so.

Despite the genre-thing, this is still a good review to me.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
27.01.2012 - 16:48
I never said you can't, but - in my opinion - it's likely to be less effective, because with knowledge comes reason and understanding...
27.01.2012 - 17:03
Milena
gloom cookie
staff
Written by X-Ray Rod on 27.01.2012 at 16:16

In the few reviews I've done here, I rarely compare the album in question to another one... or to the genre it belongs.

I'm with your team; however, I would never review an album from a genre I'm not in the slightest familiar with, imagine it turned out to be a blatant ripoff of some big band in the genre and I have no clue
BUT, even if I don't know shit about funeral doom, I know some about reviewing and I've enjoyed wormdrink's recent reviews. Hope I'll be as awesome when I return from my little break.
----
7.0 means the album is good
27.01.2012 - 17:05
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Merchant of Doom on 27.01.2012 at 16:48

I never said you can't, but - in my opinion - it's likely to be less effective, because with knowledge comes reason and understanding...

I totally got a star wars feeling in the end of the post
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
27.01.2012 - 17:38
Lol...

Hits total: 5907 | This month: 19