Metal Storm logo
The Unholy Trinity: Paradise Lost, Anathema and My Dying Bride

Poll

The most significant pioneer of gothic doom metal is...

Paradise Lost
My Dying Bride
Anathema

Total votes: 57
28.01.2012 - 00:19
ravendeath
In the late 80's and early 90's there was something special in the air in the UK and those three bands were born and provided us with sounds that were latter categorized as Doom Gothic etc. metal. Now they have taken different approaches to music, defining new styles and survived all those years and remained on the top of popularity among the lovers of darker sound of metal music. Vote for your favourite band and if you can explain why...
28.01.2012 - 02:35
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Well
1th MDB winns , they stayed on roots
Anathema betraided death/doom and still playing nowdays crappy pop musiv what is totaly borin, even I liked Gracefallen EP werry much, leither step by step bordness come
I do live Paradise Lost 1th 5 albums , but thet disco crap pop shit era .... no thank's and even last 2 albujs is beck to roots and I like those I cant forget how band chamged
MDB stayed all those times in same style, what I like now seems they go down, but well as far if I shood choose MDB because thay stayed but musicaly in death/doom era PL onmly PL I love those albums , but MDB is equal but somehow PL is closer to my heart maybe because I discovere it 1th , and it cant be unholy trinityt nowdays it was maybe those days
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
28.01.2012 - 02:42
JohnDoe
Account deleted
^ I respect Anathema and Paradise Lost more than MDB; MDB found a recipe for success and stuck with it, hardly ever experimenting. At least Anathema and PL experimented, risked.

I can't vote, hard to choose between Anathema and PL.
28.01.2012 - 02:49
ravendeath
Quote:
"and it cant be unholy trinityt nowdays it was maybe those days"

I agree with that. I gave this title because their tour in 2008 was named like that...
28.01.2012 - 12:53
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Bad English on 28.01.2012 at 02:35

Well

No they didn't.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.01.2012 - 13:11
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.01.2012 at 12:53

Written by Bad English on 28.01.2012 at 02:35

Well

No they didn't.

last albums was week, specely last one but still band is more closer to roots and stayed more longer how those others I can enjoy all albums , but I can not PL and Anathema
----

apos;'
[image]
29.01.2012 - 14:52
Slayerus23
Account deleted
My favourite one from the unholy trinity is Anathema, but My Dying Bride developed the doom as we know it. So at least it was and still is the most significant of those three.
29.01.2012 - 15:40
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Guest on 28.01.2012 at 02:42

^ I respect Anathema and Paradise Lost more than MDB; MDB found a recipe for success and stuck with it, hardly ever experimenting. At least Anathema and PL experimented, risked.

While MDB didn't experiment that much... they did change a lot with time. You just have to compare albums like their debut to The Angel And The Dark River or Like Gods of the Sun to Songs Of Darkness, Words Of Light. They changed their style qute a lot but always were in the death/doom camp.

Not to mention 34.788%... Complete which was definitely an experiment.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
29.01.2012 - 15:46
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 29.01.2012 at 15:40

Written by Guest on 28.01.2012 at 02:42

While MDB didn't experiment that much... they did change a lot with time. You just have to compare albums like their debut to The Angel And The Dark River or Like Gods of the Sun to Songs Of Darkness, Words Of Light. They changed their style qute a lot but always were in the death/doom camp.

Not to mention 34.788%... Complete which was definitely an experiment.

34.788%... is their only experiment, that's true (hence my "hardly ever")
29.01.2012 - 15:52
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Guest on 29.01.2012 at 15:46
34.788%... is their only experiment, that's true (hence my "hardly ever")

It's still wrong to say that they stuck with a recipe if they always kept changing the tone of their albums. The only difference I see between them and the other bands is that they tried to stick to a genre, but each album still has a lot of difference from the other ones.

Still a hard poll tbh. To me it's only fair to compare them with what they have done in the doom metal department, otherwise it feels kind of wrong to me.
Anathema would be out considering that while I realy like their second and third albums I never really liked their debut, while MDB and PL had a really consistent beginning and were way more impressive to me with their debuts and the later couples of releases.

Difficult one, for me... Can't really decide between PL or MDB but I would probably vote for PL.
----
Rod, let me love you.
29.01.2012 - 16:35
@gent_-_orange
The only real fair comparison point for all three bands would be the early careers, Paradise lost turned more into Gothic rock and Anathema developed a different sound as well as MDB, So I am going to judge this based on the earlier output and choose Paradise lost, As I feel that their Debut album is the best album of the three's earlier output, With MDB's Debut a close second.

All three bands have released good albums mind, Lost Paradise just so happens to be a personal favourite of mine.
30.01.2012 - 04:44
Angelic Storm
Melodious
All 3 band's earlier material is great, so it's a very hard choice for me. There's just something about Anathema's first two albums that I think slightly edges it in their favour for me. They were beautiful albums, but also crushingly heavy, which was a contrast which totally stunned me at the time I first heard them...
30.01.2012 - 19:02
BloodTears
ANA-thema
elite
When was Anathema gothic? I'm just wondering. Doom, sure but gothic I don't see it.
----

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
30.01.2012 - 19:32
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by BloodTears on 30.01.2012 at 19:02

When was Anathema gothic? I'm just wondering. Doom, sure but gothic I don't see it.

the roots of gothic metal are in doom so in the early days of gothic metal, the lines between the two genres were quite blurred, so...
30.01.2012 - 19:41
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Anathema had gothic elements in the first two albums, but some might not be able to hear that amongst the immense heaviness of the doom. The first song I ever heard by Anathema "Lovelorn Rhapsody" is a perfect example of gothic doom. There is a dark, ethereal beauty there, but also very heavy riffing.

@JohnDoe: That pic of your kitty on your laptop is adorable!
31.01.2012 - 10:29
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Gothic elements well even maybe gothic has inspirated band (I dont know) but and even there is gothic elements they were werry week, it was death/doom metal
----

apos;'
[image]
22.04.2012 - 10:54
While Anathema remains my favorite, I chose MDB, as I believe they have had the longest influence on the doom scene, maintaining a largely consistent discog (with only one notable exception...you know which one I'm talking about), whereas Paradise Lost dropped out of my favor for awhile before In Requiem got them back on track. And Anathema really only had a couple doom releases, so I wouldn't really say their influence is quite as far reaching, even if I adore everything they've touched in their career.
25.04.2012 - 20:12
Pennywise
Account deleted
I have listened not that much from these bands, but was extremly impressed by Anathemas Alernative 4 and their accoustic album. My Dying Bridge is a close second choice since they are very heavy for Doom.
25.04.2012 - 21:09
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Guest on 25.04.2012 at 20:12
My Dying Bridge.

Dibs on that band name.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
26.04.2012 - 11:29
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Guest on 30.01.2012 at 19:32

the roots of gothic metal are in doom so in the early days of gothic metal, the lines between the two genres were quite blurred, so...

Even if we go on that road it's still wrong. Your comment can only suggest that old gothic metal sounds like doom, not that doom sounds like old gothic metal. There's a difference there considering who was first
----
Rod, let me love you.
26.04.2012 - 13:49
Dàibh
*Scratches chin*

This is a really touch call for me.

It would be perhaps easier to say whom from the list is my personal favorite...but it's a different thing entirely to say whom from the list has been most significant in pioneering said sound...
26.04.2012 - 13:54
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Guest on 30.01.2012 at 19:32

wrong the roots of gothic metal are in gothic rock (bands such as The Children, The Southern Deathcult, Sisters Of Mercy) which had quite strong bonds with punk.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

26.04.2012 - 15:29
Branzig
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 26.04.2012 at 13:54

which had quite strong bonds with punk.

Which is why gothic rock is so much better than gothic metal

But the only band I like in this poll is Paradise Lost...So I won't vote because I am extremely biased on this one. But if I was going to vote it would be Paradise Lost.
----
In Grind We Crust
27.04.2012 - 20:23
Unhealer
Eclecticist
I believe My Dying Bride since they played with it longer than the other two bands who walked other musical paths. Even if nowadays they are just a pale shade of their past.
28.04.2012 - 03:40
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Even if we go on that road it's still wrong. Your comment can only suggest that old gothic metal sounds like doom, not that doom sounds like old gothic metal. There's a difference there considering who was first

I was trying to say that old gothic metal sounds like doom.

I guess I have been wrong for a long time; I'm no expert in neither gothic metal nor doom metal, but I've always thought doom metal was the start for gothic metal.
I admit I don't know much about 80s gothic rock.
28.04.2012 - 22:26
Polaria
Hello,

I can say I am aveteran fan of Gothic Metal, as I have been listening to it since 1995 and it is my favorite genre in metal.

Remembering the year 1995, in my opinion the sound of Gothic Metal was defined by 5 bands: Paradise Lost, My Dying Bride, Anathema, Theatre of Tragedy and the Gathering. Note they all released an excellent album in that year.

I voted for Paradise Lost because they are the band from the five above that made the biggest breakthrough in 1995, from what I remember.
----
Life is all the pain we endeavour.
28.04.2012 - 22:38
Fritillaria
Account deleted
What ?! gothic doom ? I'm so doubtful about considering early Anathema a Gothic Doom band
29.04.2012 - 19:02
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Polaria on 28.04.2012 at 22:26

Hello
Remembering the year 1995, in my opinion the sound of Gothic Metal was defined by 5 bands: Paradise Lost, My Dying Bride, Anathema, Theatre of Tragedy and the Gathering. Note they all released an excellent album in that year.

Hello!
Well, I can see how all those bands had their gothic on their music. Some more than others of course but out of those five I don't consider that Anathema played gothic influenced metal at all. Specially not in 1995 with The Silent Enigma which is just death/doom.
----
Rod, let me love you.
29.04.2012 - 20:41
Polaria
Hello,

The term "Gothic Metal" was not used in that time. The five bands were then seen as "some kind of death and/or doom" and not as pioneers of a new subgenre.
----
Life is all the pain we endeavour.
29.04.2012 - 20:53
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Polaria on 29.04.2012 at 20:41

Hello,

The term "Gothic Metal" was not used in that time. The five bands were then seen as "some kind of death and/or doom" and not as pioneers of a new subgenre.

the term gothic metal was used in 1995 already. I sure as hell can remember people using it back then.

And The Gathering were only seen as death doom during their first album and certainly not anymore with Mandylion and such.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996